Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apollove
May 31, 2013
So I wanna watch a Showa era Rider show, but I'm not sure which one, any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Stronger

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
V3, Amazon, and Black are really the only ones that are fully translated, as far as I know. All of them are extremely solid, though. Fair warning: Amazon is a little different since he's lizard themed instead of bug themed, is a Tarzan from the Amazon rainforest, and instead of kicking things and making them explode, he just rips their faces open and leaves them to bleed out in rivers.

What I'm saying is watch Amazon.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

HKR posted:

Stronger

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Comedy Answer: Saban's Masked Rider

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Liar Lyre posted:

Comedy Answer: Saban's Masked Rider

gently caress you.

V3 is one of the best Rider series ever, if you can find it. It's on Youtube though! If you want a series with fantastic monsters of the week who really know how the shine, it's a safe bet.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Apollove posted:

So I wanna watch a Showa era Rider show, but I'm not sure which one, any suggestions?

I've only watched Black but I liked it a lot. It's a good show.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Decided to give Kamen Rider Fourze a try, and I'm up to episode 14. I love how completely optimistic this show is; it meshes so well with the aspirational aspects of space exploration. I feel like this is a show where I could put on an episode and it would make a crummy day just a little bit brighter.

It's completely expected at this point, but whenever someone new busts out the secret friendship handshake it puts a smile on my face.

Uchuu kitaaaaaaaaaaaa!

(EDIT: Also, I'm not sure what aside from "characters walking together" triggered it, but the end of episode 14 made me think of this classic walking scene)

Apollove posted:

Kamen Rider Black got me into Kamen Rider. I don't know how it stacks up against other stuff from that era (after seeing some Kaiketsu Zubat, I can totally see why V3 should be amazing), but it's a really solid show. It's very... earnest. If you typed up the plot to many episodes it would sound like the goofiest poo poo ever, but the actors (especially Tetsuo Kurata playing the main character) act like it's the most dire situation that's ever been. It really helped sell the show for me.

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 11, 2014

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Zero_Tactility posted:

Kamen Rider Black got me into Kamen Rider. I don't know how it stacks up against other stuff from that era (after seeing some Kaiketsu Zubat, I can totally see why V3 should be amazing), but it's a really solid show. It's very... earnest. If you typed up the plot to many episodes it would sound like the goofiest poo poo ever, but the actors (especially Tetsuo Kurata playing the main character) act like it's the most dire situation that's ever been. It really helped sell the show for me.
This, absolutely. It didn't get me into it, I started with Fourze (great choice, btw), but I decided to pick it up when I was all caught up on post-Decade Heisei Riders and wanted to try something older. I thought I might be put off by the age at first, but the main character's dead seriousness and the awesome monster plots kept me watching. Also, feeling emotion for a semi-sentient grasshopper bike. I'll admit I spent some early episodes wishing the Shadowmoon stuff would start sooner, but it was definitely worth the wait.

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

The best way I've heard someone describe Kamen Rider Black is that it’s Tim Burton Batman, whereas most of the older shows are Adam West Batman.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Looking at Blade ep. 21. Mutseki's infant backstory is really hosed up and completely unnecessary :stare:

TV-N's translation REALLY hit its worst here, as I had to go online because I had almost no idea what the hell this kid was talking about.

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 11, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jonjonaug posted:

I've only watched Black but I liked it a lot. It's a good show.

Sounds like a Golgom Plot to me.

Apollove
May 31, 2013
Oh, also, I was thinking of watching Kiva, cause it sounded like a cool plot.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Apollove posted:

Oh, also, I was thinking of watching Kiva, cause it sounded like a cool plot.

If you wait I'm sure someone who actually can translate will sub it.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

A lot of people really got into Fourze recently. What happened?

Besides Fourze being awesome, I mean.

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡
I vaguely recall the same thing happening with OOOs, where some people hated on it during its run but by the end of Fourze/beginning of Wizard it was mostly praise. Wonder if it'll happen to Wizard when Gaim is about to end.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Nah. OOO was redeemed by a strong ending, a great supporting cast, and a pretty good movie in Megamax.

Wizard had...none of that. If the Gaim crossover is good, it won't be because of Wizard. Wizard is destined to be the next Kiva.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dexie posted:

Nah. OOO was redeemed by a strong ending, a great supporting cast, and a pretty good movie in Megamax.

Wizard had...none of that. If the Gaim crossover is good, it won't be because of Wizard. Wizard is destined to be the next Kiva.

Hey, hey, that's not a nice thing to say at all.

The past sections of Kiva were far, far better than Wizard.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Surec posted:

I vaguely recall the same thing happening with OOOs, where some people hated on it during its run but by the end of Fourze/beginning of Wizard it was mostly praise. Wonder if it'll happen to Wizard when Gaim is about to end.

Probably not because most of the hate it gets isn't really hate, it's more disappointment and boredom.

Wizard had a pretty good setup and plenty of potential in Episode 1 and just couldn't follow through with it. It ended up being really boring and a lot of people (myself included) dropped it before Beast showed up because nothing was happening. There was no real tension, no looming threat, no masterful villainous plan. Just a pair of underlings sending chumps out every so often to make people cry supposedly to revive their master, but we're given no evidence that it's working early on so our minds ignore it and without an actual threat to the world or our "hero" the story just kinda grinds to a halt.

Like I said Wizard's backstory/lore had potential to go somewhere and could have been engaging and interesting but they seemed to have shot themselves in the foot with the writing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

Just a pair of underlings sending chumps out every so often to make people cry supposedly to revive their master, but we're given no evidence that it's working early on so our minds ignore it and without an actual threat to the world or our "hero" the story just kinda grinds to a halt.
Goddamn, this. That was the most disappointing part of Wizard to me, how ineffectual Medusa and Phoenix were, and partly why I ended up dropping the series. If those lunkheads had been able to make one, just one new Phantom, they could have been more bearable, but nope. Can't have our villains seem like a credible threat. :argh:

What a complete waste.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dexie posted:

Goddamn, this. That was the most disappointing part of Wizard to me, how ineffectual Medusa and Phoenix were, and partly why I ended up dropping the series. If those lunkheads had been able to make one, just one new Phantom, they could have been more bearable, but nope. Can't have our villains seem like a credible threat. :argh:

What a complete waste.

Or I dunno, maybe have Dragon being some big threat? Like the idea that Wizard is basically one bad day from exploding into a super monster would have been really cool! Maybe have one of those new wizard lose control and have their Phantom inside freak out?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, according to the Tokyuu promo, we're getting Choo Choo Sentai on February 16th. Now unless I've gone completely retarded, that means that there are only going to be 48 total episodes of Kyoryuuger. Tomorrow is the 12th, and the 44th episode, and there are only four Sundays inbetween then and the 16th.
Is Kyoryuger gonna be the shortest Sentai since *checks Wikipedia* Carranger?

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Dexie posted:

What a complete waste.

It's not just Medusa and Phoenix - the entire show is an enormous failure reel on part of the villains. They actually end up making negative progress, because any time Haruto or Kousuke can't get to a Gate in time they just decide to save their own drat selves and become wizards. Then it turns out that was the plan all along and gently caress this show.

Honestly I thought Phoenix was the best character in the whole show until Beast showed up, at least he had an ounce of charisma (that wasn't laced with being absolutely terrible - just go away Shunpei), he was just stifled to hell and back by Medusa threatening to hurl him at Wiseman at even the slightest hint of insubordination.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Or I dunno, maybe have Dragon being some big threat? Like the idea that Wizard is basically one bad day from exploding into a super monster would have been really cool! Maybe have one of those new wizard lose control and have their Phantom inside freak out?

The worst part is this is something Dragon outright tells Haruto earlier on, I think around the time he starts collecting Dragon Style upgrades, that if he relies too much on his inner Phantom's power then Dragon's gonna just consume him. Guess not!

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Shaezerus posted:

It's not just Medusa and Phoenix - the entire show is an enormous failure reel on part of the villains. They actually end up making negative progress, because any time Haruto or Kousuke can't get to a Gate in time they just decide to save their own drat selves and become wizards. Then it turns out that was the plan all along and gently caress this show.

Honestly I thought Phoenix was the best character in the whole show until Beast showed up, at least he had an ounce of charisma (that wasn't laced with being absolutely terrible - just go away Shunpei), he was just stifled to hell and back by Medusa threatening to hurl him at Wiseman at even the slightest hint of insubordination.

The worst part is this is something Dragon outright tells Haruto earlier on, I think around the time he starts collecting Dragon Style upgrades, that if he relies too much on his inner Phantom's power then Dragon's gonna just consume him. Guess not!

What Dragon meant to say was "Keep feeding me and I'll become a super cool ax. Buy me kids at home!"

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Wizard suffers from having some interesting ideas but completely piss-poor execution 95% of the time. Getting rid of one of the best characters only to replace him with the most annoying one RIP Phoenix, go gently caress yourself Gremlin did nothing to help the total disinterest in the villains' plot.

Also the fact that so much of the emotional investment of the last 5-10 episodes hinges on giving a poo poo about Koyomi, who has been around this entire time but never got any development or reason for the viewer to care about her at all really takes out any reason to watch the show all the way through to the end.

These are not the only things wrong with Wizard, but for someone like me who actually likes/liked the show (not for what it ended up being, but what it could have been given more effort and solid writing), it's definitely enough to sour the taste from "decent" to "not actually that great" territory.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
I don't know how accurate it is, but the actress playing Koyomi was still working as an idol and her idol work got in the way in production. So the writers had to write around the character more than was reasonable.

Apollove
May 31, 2013
Man what if they just retold Wizard's story in a 2 and a half hour movie, streamlining the whole thing and maybe fixing some dumb plot issues along the way.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Shaezerus posted:

I gave up long before the show got to that point. I stuck around long enough to see Magical Girl Beast then called it quits. I came back for the two Decade crossover episodes and that was it.

Dante Logos posted:

I don't know how accurate it is, but the actress playing Koyomi was still working as an idol and her idol work got in the way in production. So the writers had to write around the character more than was reasonable.
Why even hire an idol in the first place if that's a risk? At least with W, Elizabeth and Queen were only minor characters, so that never got in the way of things.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They were idols? That explains the arc that was basically advertising a single.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Yup. Can you guess from which group?

Hint: In Gaia Memories of Fate, they find the T2 Accel, Key, and Bird memories.

I know nothing of Japanese idols, I just remember this tidbit.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

They were (Are? Not sure if they've graduated from the group yet) members of the group AKB48. That's why those two get to find the T2 Accel, Key, and Bird Memories in the W Forever movie.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I always wondered what the Queen Dopant would look like.

Edit: And Bomb.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Potsticker posted:

I always wondered what the Queen Dopant would look like.

The Queen Dopant was shown, though!

It's a literal clone of Queen.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I remember Queen finding the Gaiamemory, then the Heat dopant lady taking it, but not using it because she got the T2 Heat Gaiamemory instead?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Potsticker posted:

I remember Queen finding the Gaiamemory, then the Heat dopant lady taking it, but not using it because she got the T2 Heat Gaiamemory instead?

There are silly things made to promote the movie where minor Gaia Memories like Queen and Bean get used.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

There are silly things made to promote the movie where minor Gaia Memories like Queen and Bean get used.

!!!
I will have to look those up. I thought I had consumed all W media.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
You haven't seen the W Forever net movies? You're going to love Revenge By Talk Show.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

FortMax posted:

You haven't seen the W Forever net movies? You're going to love Revenge By Talk Show.
Poor Kirihiko...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Perigryn posted:

Poor Kirihiko...

The bit with Weather Doctor was so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The bit with Weather Doctor was so good.

That actor was amazing. Now I'm sad again. :smith:

• Locked thread