Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Mister Sinewave posted:

Also it kind of looks like they have decided no one gives a poo poo about dual extrusion anymore. I don't

Because quad bowden extruders with active water cooling is the new thing, right? :v: http://e3d-online.com/The-Kraken

Speaking of E3D, I've heard second hand claims at my local makerspace that it has issues with long running PLA prints, allegedly due to the stickiness of melted PLA and the lack of a PTFE liner. Has anyone else heard something similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I can totally see that (e.g. support material in a different medium, etc) and it's certainly a valid thing. I just have never needed anything more than one.

I just found it noteworthy that their previous line and their experimental line of printers all had dual extrusion but this new generation has it nowhere to be seen.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Because quad bowden extruders with active water cooling is the new thing, right? :v: http://e3d-online.com/The-Kraken

Speaking of E3D, I've heard second hand claims at my local makerspace that it has issues with long running PLA prints, allegedly due to the stickiness of melted PLA and the lack of a PTFE liner. Has anyone else heard something similar?

No that seems ridiculous imo. My E3D hasn't had any problems granted my longest print was 7 hours.

I've got another E3d coming with a bowden heatsink, plus a spare bowden heatsink to replace my existing one.

Just need to finalize my dual design and get the parts fabbed.

I hope the kraken gets the companion RAMPS board it needs and soon.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

MickRaider posted:

The Decapede board can drive 10 steppers, and seemed to be in a late prototype stage with initial firmware work going on as of last month. I don't know if the two projects have talked with each other, though.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

You also need thermistor inputs and heater outputs beyond the stepper controller.

Edit: I see it has expansion boards.

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 7, 2014

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
Question for all of you that have a 3D printer (you lucky fucks). I think I am finally ready to get a 3D printer and I am leaning both towards a complete kit that I would assemble since I have heard some horror stories about people trying to source all the parts on their first printer, and maybe a RepRap style. I want to print in ABS mostly so I also want a heated bed.

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to get a kit or maybe some other ideas? Anyone ever tried those cheap Chinese knockoff MakerBots?

IndianaZoidberg fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 8, 2014

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

MickRaider posted:

There's also this guy: http://www.panucatt.com/Azteeg_X3_reprap_3d_printer_controller_p/ax33dp.htm

In for a Kraken, I figure I was about to go down the dual E3D route and since they cost roughly $180 what's another $30 for two more heads in a more compact package?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Reason I didn't go with kraken was A) there's no models out there for me to design a new carriage B) the cost of buying a water cooling setup C) Software/hardware lacking

That's an awesome card though. Now there just needs firmware support.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

MickRaider posted:

Reason I didn't go with kraken was A) there's no models out there for me to design a new carriage B) the cost of buying a water cooling setup C) Software/hardware lacking

That's an awesome card though. Now there just needs firmware support.

Yeah, a bit on the edge but B) is covered by them, all you need to add is a reservoir (prob old water bottle for me). I'm planning on only running two extruders until I find the need for more.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

My ideal kraken would be

1- Primary color .25mm nozzle for perimeters
2- Primary color .4-.6mm nozzle or larger for infil
3- Secondary color .4mm nozzle
4- Dissolvable - .4mm nozzle

Though I'll be happy once I get my bowden heat sinks and second E3D to get primary + dissolvable.

Speaking of, does anyone have a good source for dissolvable filament besides makerbot? Their lead time is awful.

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 9, 2014

insta
Jan 28, 2009

MickRaider posted:

My ideal kraken would be

1- Primary color .15mm nozzle or smaller
2- Primary color .4-.6mm nozzle or large
3- Secondary color .4mm nozzle
4- Dissolvable - .4mm nozzle

Though I'll be happy once I get my bowden heat sinks and second E3D to get primary + dissolvable.

Speaking of, does anyone have a good source for dissolvable filament besides makerbot? Their lead time is awful.

Oh God, a .15 nozzle? That is going to jam just by looking at it, much less trying to actually extrude from it!

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

insta posted:

Oh God, a .15 nozzle? That is going to jam just by looking at it, much less trying to actually extrude from it!

.25 sorry. Don't think .15 even exists.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Fatal posted:

Yeah, a bit on the edge but B) is covered by them, all you need to add is a reservoir (prob old water bottle for me). I'm planning on only running two extruders until I find the need for more.

Having used a water cooled PC I built for several years, the combination of water and electricity doesn't phase me as much as it should. The computer doesn't have to move, for one.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

TasogareNoKagi posted:

The Decapede board can drive 10 steppers, and seemed to be in a late prototype stage with initial firmware work going on as of last month. I don't know if the two projects have talked with each other, though.

Would the Arduino Mega CPU be able to handle all that? I had heard that the existing firmware was pushing the limits of the device.

The ideal solution would be to move to either a more powerful processor or FPGA based motion control:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1575992013/logi-fpga-development-board-for-raspberry-pi-beagl?ref=live

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Cockmaster posted:

Would the Arduino Mega CPU be able to handle all that? I had heard that the existing firmware was pushing the limits of the device.

The ideal solution would be to move to either a more powerful processor or FPGA based motion control:

According to the reprap forums thread it should work with the Due (a 32-bit ARM Arduino). There's also the RAMPS-FD (RAMPS For Due), ETA sometime in March, that should be able to drive 6 extruders together with an expansion board.

Looking forward to these because I have a quad-core UDOO board waiting in a box.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Cockmaster posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1575992013/logi-fpga-development-board-for-raspberry-pi-beagl?ref=live

An ATMega is plenty powerful to run repraps. There's a few things existing software can do to squeeze more out of them.

First would be to use straight C/C++ instead of the hybrid Arduino language. Some of its commands are ungodly slow, usually anything involving IO.

Next would be to modify the slicers to work in micrometers instead of millimeters. This would allow the chips to run pure integer code, as the Atmels don't support native floating point.

Past that, take a page from the repetier-firmware playbook and use a binary protocol. It would cut down on string parsing the micros are doing.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

insta posted:

First would be to use straight C/C++ instead of the hybrid Arduino language. Some of its commands are ungodly slow, usually anything involving IO.

I don't think any of the popular firmwares are using Arduino's language. Marlin, for example, is already built on C++.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

Obsurveyor posted:

I don't think any of the popular firmwares are using Arduino's language. Marlin, for example, is already built on C++.

Theoretically an insane person could write it out in AVR assembly, but we're heading towards getting rid of the AtMega2560 entirely, in favor of the new 32-bit Arduino boards.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

UberVexer posted:

Theoretically an insane person could write it out in AVR assembly, but we're heading towards getting rid of the AtMega2560 entirely, in favor of the new 32-bit Arduino boards.

Yeah, there comes a point where it's simpler and faster to just throw working code on faster hardware.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

UberVexer posted:

AVR assembly isn't really all that bad. You should try a project based on a 8051.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

hobbesmaster posted:

AVR assembly isn't really all that bad. You should try a project based on a 8051.

I'm no masochist, RISC forever.

Faster hardware is going to make more stuff possible with the high level languages that humans like.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Found in the metalworking thread:

oxbrain posted:

Some of you might get a kick out of this. Metal printing and machining all in one.
http://youtu.be/s9IdZ2pI5dA

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Found in the metalworking thread:

The software that controls that entire system must be insane.

That 5-axis rotation makes me want one a lot, but it also looks like it costs more than every tool I own today, combined.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh cool, home videos from Tony Stark.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

UberVexer posted:

it also looks like it costs more than every tool I own today, combined.

Either you've got an extraordinarily well-equipped shop or you haven't looked at the prices of machining centers recently. I'd estimate that machine costs somewhere between 1 and 10 million dollars.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
It wouldn't be $10m*, probably $2-4m. And it will probably have a reduced lifespan compared to a normal machining center, I know laser welders wear out fast.

The programming is all G code. That won't go away for a long drat time. It works well enough and it's completely ingrained in the industry.

*Unless you want more than 128Kb of memory. :v:

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I noticed Linux CNC for the Beaglebone was formally released a while ago. Has anyone here worked with that? How well do you suppose it would work with an average 3D printer?

oxbrain posted:

It wouldn't be $10m*, probably $2-4m. And it will probably have a reduced lifespan compared to a normal machining center, I know laser welders wear out fast.

The programming is all G code. That won't go away for a long drat time. It works well enough and it's completely ingrained in the industry.

The problem is how to generate the G code. Conventional CAM software can only work with subtractive manufacturing.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Would this be the right place to ask what affordable CAD software is available to use to 3D printing? I'm a mechanical engineer and have plenty of experience using Solidworks which is overkill (and prohibitively expensive) for what I have in mind. I only need to make or manipulate solids; no need for manipulating assemblies (though it'd be nice to have), drafting, or FEA simulations. Any suggestions for something cheap (<$100) or free that has similar functionality in creating geometry and solids like Solidworks?

Gotta save up if I want a 3D printer for myself.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

Edward IV posted:

Would this be the right place to ask what affordable CAD software is available to use to 3D printing? I'm a mechanical engineer and have plenty of experience using Solidworks which is overkill (and prohibitively expensive) for what I have in mind. I only need to make or manipulate solids; no need for manipulating assemblies (though it'd be nice to have), drafting, or FEA simulations. Any suggestions for something cheap (<$100) or free that has similar functionality in creating geometry and solids like Solidworks?

Gotta save up if I want a 3D printer for myself.

If you've got a .edu email address laying around you can use all of the Autodesk products for free, or Solidworks for pretty cheap.

If you don't have a .edu email address around, you can get Autodesk Inventor Fusion for free. It's pretty alright for doing mechanical stuff. Not as powerful as Solidworks, but that might just be because I've had more playtime with Solidworks. It'll do dimensions and extrusion properly, and it has all of the basic geometric tools you need to print things.

Blender is supposedly getting better for printing and actual CAD work, but I can't get myself to use it. I think they added a "3d printer toolbox" that has dimensioning tools in it.

There is also the Autodesk 123d toolset, which I guess is supposed to be for "Makers," it's free. I personally have used 123d Design a couple of times, and it was a painful process. A lot of people seem to really enjoy working with those tools though.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

UberVexer posted:

Blender is supposedly getting better for printing and actual CAD work, but I can't get myself to use it. I think they added a "3d printer toolbox" that has dimensioning tools in it.

Yeah, it's the Mesh Analysis function. It'll determine problem areas such as overhang, thinness, and sharpness by looking at the mesh.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, it's the Mesh Analysis function. It'll determine problem areas such as overhang, thinness, and sharpness by looking at the mesh.

That actually sounds pretty useful; does it get calibrated in any way? Can I say "My printer can print 60 degree angles just fine" to avoid flagging them?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

UberVexer posted:

That actually sounds pretty useful; does it get calibrated in any way? Can I say "My printer can print 60 degree angles just fine" to avoid flagging them?

The five categories are Sharpness, Distortion, Intersections, Thickness, and Overhang, and all of these settings are adjustable. For instance, the default setting for Overhang is 0 to 45 degrees on the negative Z axis. You can choose to play around with the axis depending on how you're going to print them out.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BTW, what's a good slicer program I can use with my Ultimaker Original? I'm tired of UM not fixing the "everywhere" Z-axis support bug in Cura and would rather supplement it's use with another slicer.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

Young Freud posted:

BTW, what's a good slicer program I can use with my Ultimaker Original? I'm tired of UM not fixing the "everywhere" Z-axis support bug in Cura and would rather supplement it's use with another slicer.

I've been using the new Cura "Steamengine" build without issues on my machines; I don't have an Ultimaker though.

Slic3r is a standard among the community though, I use it all the time on some of my machines.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Full Spectrum Laser is doing a 3D stereolithography printer: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fsl/pegasus-touch-laser-sla-3d-printer-low-cost-high-q?ref=live

I guess it makes sense - nothing new on the hardware front, it looks like a clone of the Form1 - but their "thing" is nice software/drivers. As an owner of a laser cutter with an "our CAD+driver software or nothing" setup I can appreciate the value that provides. But then again laser cutters =/= the software ecosystem that 3D printers have right now.

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006

Young Freud posted:

Cura and Slic3r are by a wide margin the most used slicing programs. I mostly use Slic3r myself and I haven't really had any issues in quite a while. It seems to get updated pretty regularly.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

Chickenbisket posted:

Cura and Slic3r are by a wide margin the most used slicing programs. I mostly use Slic3r myself and I haven't really had any issues in quite a while. It seems to get updated pretty regularly.

If you're a programmer, Slic3r guys are normally pretty good about taking pull requests.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

A guy in California is trying to kickstart a batch of Arduino-compatible analog thermocouple amplifiers, which are useful for high temperature hot ends. Kickstarter's rule forbidding duplicate pledge rewards seems to be biting him in the rear end though.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/398996996/ad8495-breakout-board

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

TasogareNoKagi posted:

A guy in California is trying to kickstart a batch of Arduino-compatible analog thermocouple amplifiers, which are useful for high temperature hot ends. Kickstarter's rule forbidding duplicate pledge rewards seems to be biting him in the rear end though.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/398996996/ad8495-breakout-board

Nothing prevents him from creating reward levels for multiple boards though, plenty of Kickstarters do that. I really want 3 or 4 for that price but I'm not going to pledge for 1 and hope I can get the rest at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

Obsurveyor posted:

Nothing prevents him from creating reward levels for multiple boards though, plenty of Kickstarters do that. I really want 3 or 4 for that price but I'm not going to pledge for 1 and hope I can get the rest at the end.

Kickstarter has/had a rule about more than 10 of an item being sold at once. That's why every "Hackerspace package" is 10 of an item.