Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ixxit
Oct 15, 2010
Paul sort of rubs me the wrong way in general, but Jason Mantzoukas could save any podcast. And I live for June's earnest bewilderment.

Also, dat Pluto Nash episode. #wompitup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I hope someone actually used the "androids shouldn't fear death" line for a story.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The Deck the Halls episode is kinda awesome if only just for the stories about Matthew Broderick. Poor guy, Sarah Jessica Parker really did suck his life force away from him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The Deck the Halls episode is kinda awesome if only just for the stories about Matthew Broderick. Poor guy, Sarah Jessica Parker really did suck his life force away from him.

More then killing two people?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

bobkatt013 posted:

More then killing two people?

Between that and Jeffrey Jones being a repeat sex offender, Ferris Bueller is really weird to watch now.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

clocksmash posted:

Paul sort of rubs me the wrong way in general, but Jason Mantzoukas could save any podcast. And I live for June's earnest bewilderment.

I forget which episode it was, but Jason yelling at the woman who brought her baby to the show was the funniest thing HDTGM ever did.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Irish Joe posted:

I forget which episode it was, but Jason yelling at the woman who brought her baby to the show was the funniest thing HDTGM ever did.

"GIVE ME THAT BABY"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Irish Joe posted:

Wanna say Roadhouse? I think he said the baby loved the rapey poo poo or something?

ixxit
Oct 15, 2010
"You're gonna point out the baby in the crowd after I've been talking about vaginal discharge?"

"Well, that's what a baby is, right?"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
We have a BUNCH of clips of yeast infections. LADIES, CLEAN IT UP!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

No Elliott on the Flop House until February is the worst news ever. Just because he got a new baby and an important new job on the same day is no excuse!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

No Elliott on the Flop House until February is the worst news ever. Just because he got a new baby and an important new job on the same day is no excuse!

At least Hallie is pretty good. I wish she'd be on more often but it didn't seem to work as well with 4 people.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Hallie is great; I like her more when she interacts with Elliot but if I were to add a new flopper, she would be my first choice.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea if we can't have Elliot, Hallie is the next best thing. She's really good and in sync with all the jokes and all.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Elliots my favorite flopper but I feel like if I knew him for real Id feel the need to choke him once or twice a day. Its really grating when someone tells a joke with an obscure ref and he feels the need to explain it every time as if we might not get it, despite the fact that he himself says some of the most obscure poo poo every day.

Also stop telling people how to pronounce orangutan :shakefist:

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Great HDTGM this week. Jack Frost, live at Largo with Dan Harmon.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Dan was great but holy poo poo another epic June moment in this episode.

"I THOUGHT THIS WAS A DRAMA!"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
What the hell is fart rock?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Al! posted:

Usually it's called "butt rock". I've never heard anyone call it fart rock before this. Really generic, power-chordy rock. Basically what you use when you don't have the money for actual licensed music.

Maybe fart rock is the easy listening dad-rock version of fart rock?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Al! posted:

Nickleback

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

The Berzerker posted:

Great HDTGM this week. Jack Frost, live at Largo with Dan Harmon.

It was a great episode! Dare to compare to this year-old episode of my bad movie podcast covering the same ground: http://www.yourstupidminds.com/2012/12/podcast-jack-frost-1998.html

Also, WHM did a version that was pretty great.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Usually it's called "butt rock". I've never heard anyone call it fart rock before this. Really generic, power-chordy rock. Basically what you use when you don't have the money for actual licensed music.

Maybe fart rock is the easy listening dad-rock version of fart rock?

You know how final fantasy had way overorchestrated final boss themes in the playstation era, and it was all latin choruses and poo poo? FFX had some nice butt rock as the final boss theme as a departure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXDxYIWAT7Y

More JRPG buttrock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWtpAzbEnc8

e: I thought I was in the Giant Bomb thread for some reason, but w/e, enjoy this video game poo poo

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 14, 2014

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Meme Emulator posted:

You know how final fantasy had way overorchestrated final boss themes in the playstation era, and it was all latin choruses and poo poo? FFX had some nice butt rock as the final boss theme as a departure

Appropriately enough, it was also the music in the opening cinematic, which was a stadium sporting event. So it's literally an arena anthem butt rock song.

... God, why do I know these things.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Every movie podcast needs a June, this Jack Frost episode is amazing.

E: Oh no, those second opinions are so funny I died am now posting as a resurrected snow man (it works, don't tell.)

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 16, 2014

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Dr. Lariat posted:

Every movie podcast needs a June, this Jack Frost episode is amazing.

E: Oh no, those second opinions are so funny I died am now posting as a resurrected snow man (it works, don't tell.)
Totally, that was a stellar episode bookended by two amazing moments: June's version of the start of the film, and the review from 2004 at the end. If you're looking to destroy a human in the space between the start and end of a paragraph and you're shooting for lowest word count, that review does a really efficient job.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dr. Lariat posted:

It always amazes me how these people use Amazon as a sort of one-shot blog to talk about their personal problems or whatever.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Evil Mastermind posted:

It always amazes me how these people use Amazon as a sort of one-shot blog to talk about their personal problems or whatever.

It's like loveline where my ability to feel sympathy is severely hampered by the medium being used to tell the story. It goes past sad into a bit of "well this is just pathetic."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sometimes I think they read gag reviews. The reviews for Jack Frost just left me disturbed.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Jack Frost and Deck the Halls were great HDTGM episodes; Harmon was great, June was great, the second opinions were quite depressing and awkward, I loved it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jack Frost was an amazing episode. Dan Harmon was hysterical, as expected. I loved his whole "Writer projecting" theory, I was dying laughing.

I'm trying to get into We Hate Movies, but it just doesn't seem as fun as HDTGM. They don't seem like friends, they don't laugh at each other's jokes, etc. Maybe I just picked a bad episode to start with (Jingle All The Way), but I'm not seeing the appeal. It also feels like June/Jason/Paul have a lot more inside baseball knowledge about the industry and can often give key insights as to why certain decisions were made, whereas the WHM crew is lacking in that regard. Also, they don't have June, and every podcast needs to have June. :colbert:

Anyone want to recommend their favorite WHM episode? I want to hear these guys at their best.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Try "The Good Son" or "Ghostbusters 2".

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

As much as I love HDTGM (and yes, Jack Frost was amazing, especially June's reaction to Keaton becoming a snowman and the ending :allears:), I find The Flop House to be an even better example of three friends playing off of each other while occasionally talking about a bad movie. Pretty much any episode with the Original Peaches (Dan, Stuart, and Elliott) are great, but I'd especially recommend Oogieloves and most Nicolas Cage episodes. And Foodfight!, of course.

I'll check out the WHM episodes people recommend and try to get into it again, as I had the same problems you did.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

WampaLord posted:

Anyone want to recommend their favorite WHM episode? I want to hear these guys at their best.

I never got into WHM as much as everyone else here but Foodfight! was amazing, although that might be just because the film itself is completly insane and it has nothing to do with the quality of the podcast itself. I really hope HDTGM does Foodfight! so that all three of the bad movie podcasts I listen to have done thier take on it.

e: You should really watch the movie too, its worth it, especially if you have some drunk friends along. All the inexplicable upskirts and farting retarded frog jokes are worth it

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

e: You should really watch the movie too, its worth it, especially if you have some drunk friends along. All the inexplicable upskirts and farting retarded frog jokes are worth it

The 24/7 livestream page is still up, so you can subject yourself to it whenever you want!

Every bad movie podcast needs to do Foodfight. I would pay cash money to hear June's reaction to this movie.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
"Tuff Turf" is another good WHM episode, as is "Invisible Child". Any episode featuring a movie that has Wilford Brimley in it is also a good idea.

I'd also recommend the Flophouse as a podcast where the chemistry is tangible. They don't go that in depth into the movie, but the friendly riffing really makes up for it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The Cat's Eye episode is really good too. The Louie Anderson's cat-hotdogs bit is great.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Addicted to Love is my favorite WHM.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Maremidon posted:

"Tuff Turf" is another good WHM episode, as is "Invisible Child". Any episode featuring a movie that has Wilford Brimley in it is also a good idea.

Those episodes are not we hate movies those are we love movies :colbert:

Also all nine of the people who suggested Foodfight are still assholes but the biggest is Bob from Boston.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 16, 2014

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
The Adventures Of Ford Fairlane is probably my favourite WHM, if only for the sequence with the koala. The Good Child was an excellent recent one as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

sweeroy posted:

The Adventures Of Ford Fairlane is probably my favourite WHM, if only for the sequence with the koala. The Good Child was an excellent recent one as well

Yeah the Good Son was great. Of their more recent episodes I had a lot of fun with The Raven, Taking Care Of Business, Volcano and The Boondock Saints II.