Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Wakanim also has it, if Adult Swim's region-locking doesn't work for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

nielsm posted:

Considered that you may not be the first to wonder that? Considered looking through the thread first to check?

I was wondering if it was anywhere else. That was the first thing I tried, but I can't watch it since I don't have any of the account information for my service provider.

As for Wakanim, I'm in the US, so that's no good.

I'll stick to the sub then, or watch the dub some other way.

vv Might try that, thanks.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 6, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ViggyNash posted:

I was wondering if it was anywhere else. That was the first thing I tried, but I can't watch it since I don't have any of the account information for my service provider.

As for Wakanim, I'm in the US, so that's no good.

I'll stick to the sub then, or watch the dub some other way.

Here's a tip from the Netflix thread in CineD, there's a chrome/Firefox plugin called hola unblocker that let's you change your VPN and get around region coding, which should let you access wakanim.

As an aside, Swedish Netflix is loving bonkers if you want to watch some obscure movies

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Great first episode, first half was a bit slow, but I still enjoyed it. The second half though, hahahaha oh man, this is quite the show. I also just couldn't get over QT's loving autotuned voice, it's so perfect and the music is already fantastic. I loving lost it the second Emperor Ghost Rider showed up and when Dandy sends them into space hell with Sinclair's deadpan "Yep." This is gonna be a great show, I can feel it in my bones.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Am I crazy for thinking Professor Gel is literally space-pimp Dr. Zaius? I mean, it can't be an accident that a college-educated gorilla is flying around the Statue of Liberty's head in a space opera.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Am I crazy for thinking Professor Gel is literally space-pimp Dr. Zaius? I mean, it can't be an accident that a college-educated gorilla is flying around the Statue of Liberty's head in a space opera.

Someone called him Space Gorilla Grodd.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

The first episode was a bit too much monkey cheese for my taste but men the animation is gorgeous. At worst I will enjoy this on the same level has redline.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

I just watched the first episode and it was amazing. I hope they can keep this level of wackiness up for the rest of the series, because this is already a contender for my AOTY 2014.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Episode 2 commercial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5LrrruNL1g

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Hahahaha twitter based tracking :allears:

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I'm glad that Meow is essentially a crewmate now. Also, I love the fact that Space Inferno Cop is the big baddie.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Space Dandy OP set to Nichijou:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVaxeKcgHkM

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

I find it stupidly funny that Dandy gets that sparkly trail of tears in the opening that's normally saved for shoujo anime.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Broniki posted:

I find it stupidly funny that Dandy gets that sparkly trail of tears in the opening that's normally saved for shoujo anime.

I loved that too even if I saw the same thing before in Sexy Commando. Actually that may be why I liked it so much.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
A music video for the opening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR5Pa6jxOSY

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 8, 2014

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012
I didn't know fan service was a genre. http://www.funimation.com/shows/space-dandy/anime

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Nf3 posted:

I didn't know fan service was a genre. http://www.funimation.com/shows/space-dandy/anime

So you're new to anime, then?

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Doodles posted this on page 1. For some reason this YouTube video is cropped off on the top and left.

Adult Swim VP Jason DeMarco said on Twitter if enough people miss Viva Namida in the dub broadcast, they may consider running it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Did I just make it up in my head that they had previously stated that Space Dandy wouldn't be cut down at all so that the NA audience wouldn't be receiving an inferior experience?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
They did, but they meant content not EDs since anime has to be edited for time to fit in the commercials.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Oh Snapple! posted:

Did I just make it up in my head that they had previously stated that Space Dandy wouldn't be cut down at all so that the NA audience wouldn't be receiving an inferior experience?

They didn't cut any of the episode content, but they have to cut something because American commercial time is so much bigger than Japan's. However, I was disappointed that FUNimation simply made new OP/EDs from scratch instead of realizing they could keep the OP entirely and have a truncated ED. I wonder if someone got scared that a Japanese OP with subtitles would scare people away.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nah, that can't be the case. Adult Swim/Toonami has aired Japanese openings before completely untranslated in any way and poo poo still did fine. They probably just felt that rather than do any of that they have some end credits and a small opening.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, from what I heard, there were Space Dandy commercials on ESPN, plus it's half an hour earlier in what used to be normal Adult Swim's time, so maybe they were counting on it bringing in people who normally don't watch anime.

ninety
Mar 13, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

(and can't post for 3 years!)

Ha, that's good. They barely had to edit it to make it fit too.

I really liked the first episode, mostly because of the pretty colors. Loved the hot-pink t-rex slug. :allears:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Well that was... underwhelming. First episode was actually rather boring, and I really didn't like the Japanese VA, which was passable, but mediocre compared to the amazingly animated visuals. Not a great start.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

In a perfect world, they'd just omit the commercials around Space Dandy. I love the OP, and the ED is just so... pleasant. It reminds me of Tatami Galaxy's ED.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Butt Ghost posted:

It reminds me of Tatami Galaxy's ED.

If unraveling space time means what I think it means, this may be appropriate!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Butt Ghost posted:

It reminds me of Tatami Galaxy's ED.

Same artist, just with Yoko Kanno doing the writing.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

livingfruitvirus posted:

Doodles posted this on page 1. For some reason this YouTube video is cropped off on the top and left.
That's to try to avoid YouTube's copyright content filters. Rather silly since as I posted, a perfectly accessible site in Japan has the video available.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I got serious Buichi Terasawa vibes off that episode (crazy aliens and butts), and Space Dandy really reminded me of Sengoku from Cyber City, both of which are right in my wheelhouse. I'm going to watch the hell out of Space Dandy. I'd watch it even if every episode was just half an hour of crazy aliens over guitar music.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

In a perfect world, they'd just omit the commercials around Space Dandy. I love the OP, and the ED is just so... pleasant. It reminds me of Tatami Galaxy's ED.

It's actually sung by the same singer, Etsuko Yakushimaru, that's why it feels so similar.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I'll have to agree with the few of you that really enjoyed the failed holster gag. It was so subtle and contrasted perfectly with his badass gun shooting. Also nth'ing the complaints about that annoying robot.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The robot was annoying? I thought he was charming with his autotuned voice.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
How to decipher Dandy-ese.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Azubah posted:

She was autotuned in the sub but cute all the same. :3:

Really loving the animation. Can't believe this is two cours.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Azubah posted:

I'm not sure if it was intentional or just a side-effect of the autotuning, but the robot totally sounded like a Portal turret at times which I thought was just great.

Can't wait for the next episode. With the introductions out of the way, it's gotta be nuts from here.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

livingfruitvirus posted:

How to decipher Dandy-ese.

I didn't even notice there were cryptograms in the show. That's always fun.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Oh god, I think one of those ramen bowls had Pen Pen in it! :gonk:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The entire flashback section was hysterical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Wouldn't surprise me.

It's nice to see that Instagram will outlive us all.

• Locked thread