Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Maybe its because I don't play very many phone games, but Republique having an app store link to Infinity Blade in it is absolutely nuts to me. I was surprised they didn't have more of a reaction to that when it first came up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
Is it my imagination or was there a Commodore that used cartridges? It's been so long I hardly remember anything from that era anymore.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Holy Cheese posted:

Is it my imagination or was there a Commodore that used cartridges? It's been so long I hardly remember anything from that era anymore.

Yes, the C64GS. I only saw one once, and the dude didn't have many games for it. I thought it was a really dumb thing at the time.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Veev posted:

Maybe its because I don't play very many phone games, but Republique having an app store link to Infinity Blade in it is absolutely nuts to me. I was surprised they didn't have more of a reaction to that when it first came up.

Angry Birds GO has ads to other games on it's loading screens.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Hakkesshu posted:

Yes, the C64GS. I only saw one once, and the dude didn't have many games for it. I thought it was a really dumb thing at the time.
The normal ones also supported cartridges. I had a funky looking cartridge that helped loading (?) games if I remember correctly.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

natlampe posted:

The normal ones also supported cartridges. I had a funky looking cartridge that helped loading (?) games if I remember correctly.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! I think it was just for boot software and memory expansion like the N64, I don't know that there were any actual games for it. Though I might be wrong since I never owned one myself.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

natlampe posted:

Yeah there was a cartridge slot on the normal ones for peripherals and other weird stuff. My dad had one when I was a kid and had a 2400 (I think, it was horribly slow) baud modem and some kind of crazy voice synth that sounded like satan gargling battery acid that plugged in to an expansion slot.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
code:
Chrono Trigger (Awesome Games Done Quick 2014) Bid: Robo Name 

Bendr                                                    $5,168.12	
Ryand	 In honor of GiantBomb's late Ryan Davis.	 $4,145.06
Can Ryan prevail over meme robot???? Doesn't look like it.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Why would anyone donate five thousand US dollars for the most obvious pop culture reference you could possibly make.

Mr. Peabody
Dec 30, 2011

Go on funny man, make me laugh!
Only Steve Lin can save us.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Kasonic posted:

Why would anyone donate five thousand US dollars for the most obvious pop culture reference you could possibly make.

It's collective of everyone whose donated, but also donating gets you entered in prize pools, so you might as well put your money towards a donation incentive as well. I wish they'd all settled on something for one of the other characters, RyanD was the clear winner for most of the marathon.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Kasonic posted:

I think it was reddit who pushed it.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Hakkesshu posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! I think it was just for boot software and memory expansion like the N64, I don't know that there were any actual games for it. Though I might be wrong since I never owned one myself.
It definitely did have games on cartridges as well. I think I had The Last Ninja and perhaps a few more.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

randombattle posted:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

randombattle posted:

Blaming things on another website's nebulous hivemind is so 2013 man.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Hakkesshu posted:

The C64's chipset (The VIC II and SID chips) were originally designed for a cartridge-based console, the Commodore Ultimax. I think though it was never released, except perhaps test runs in some markets, but the C64's manual still had some stuff about Ultimax compatibility mode in it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

What video is this from again?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Brad and Ryan playing every single Olympic game.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/the-olympic-games-olympiad-part-i/2300-6463/

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

:(

Exquisite Dead Guy
Oct 27, 2007
Get it? Like that robot from that other thing. Preeetty gooood...

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Whelp. Just renewed my sub. That confirmation screen (that I may have discovered you can play over and over again) :unsmith:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Awesome Animals posted:

Whelp. Just renewed my sub. That confirmation screen (that I may have discovered you can play over and over again) :unsmith:

I got that too a few months ago, really nice they haven't changed it.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Oh man there's roughly a $50 difference between Bendr and RyanD right now and they're coming up on meeting Robo soon. http://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/bid/1088

Edit: RyanD overtook Bendr!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

flatluigi posted:

Yeah, it sucks a ton that RyanD's fallen so far behind so close to the end. If you want to keep track, here's the donation war for RyanD (and the one for 2poch for that matter)
RyanD caught up but it's still really really close! Here's hoping.

e: beaten

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Just tuned back in as robo was still called robot. Did someone just drop 1K on RyanD all at once?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Dork457 posted:

Just tuned back in as robo was still called robot. Did someone just drop 1K on RyanD all at once?

Close, someone dropped 750.

http://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/bid/1245

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
not 1k but someone did donate 750 for it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

:unsmith:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why are people voting for Shark?

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken

Mu Zeta posted:

Why are people voting for Shark?

Cause its the name of some guys fursona or some poo poo, that how most of the naming things go.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
How can your fursona be a shark? Sharks don't have fur!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You need to be more open-minded towards our placoid scaled friends.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

How can your fursona be a shark? Sharks don't have fur!

Plenty of otherkins don't have fur. For example I identify as a Jaeger from Pacific Rim.

Trigger warnings: robots, Guillermo del Toro

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Oh man, NoLimits Coaster Sim 2 is out. It's basically the Railworks of roller coasters, and the editor looks like this:

On one hand, I really want to see a Quick Look of this, on the other hand, I don't think there's crash effects for coasters so I don't think the crew would get much use out of it :(

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Big Jeffrey says if you're afraid of crashin' you're afraid of livin'

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

I'd love to see what someone could make as a game now days using the actual limitations of a system like the C64. Not this "it looks sort of like a C64 game but not really" kind of poo poo, but someone making a game that could actually run on the system.

A lot of the old techniques for being super duper tight about your coding are probably lost to the sands of time now but if you got one of those Scene Demo dudes on board...

http://www.mycommodore64.com/2013/12/02/micro-hexagon-super-hexagon-c64-demake/

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Aww I was hoping they'd give the "All we're saying is give war a chance!" line it's due in the Revengeance QL.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Saint Freak posted:

Plenty of otherkins don't have fur. For example I identify as a Jaeger from Pacific Rim.

Trigger warnings: robots, Guillermo del Toro

Ugh what good is a trigger warning if you put it after.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

abraham linksys posted:

Oh man, NoLimits Coaster Sim 2 is out. It's basically the Railworks of roller coasters, and the editor looks like this:

On one hand, I really want to see a Quick Look of this, on the other hand, I don't think there's crash effects for coasters so I don't think the crew would get much use out of it :(

What the gently caress is the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
I've been reading a bunch of Patrick's articles lately and have concluded that man... there needs to be some sort of concentrated effort to get that dude to go play Nier. That seems to be just the type of weird obscure but super interesting thing right up that guy's alley.

• Locked thread