Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Riso posted:

It's almost as if there is a country that has only 200 years of history pretending things before that aren't important.

Germany? Is that the country we are talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

jb7 posted:

Absolutely.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

jb7 posted:

Don't be silly, Germany has only 12 years of history. It is known.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

the jizz taxi posted:

IIRC they haven't won one either.

The only winning move is not to play. :colbert: But no, yeah, you're right. That was the joke.

Averrences posted:

They 'won' plenty during the period when they were a Great Power - the modern standpoint of 'Sweden have never fought any battle ever' is almost as disingenuous as that meme that somehow France is 'a country of cowards'. These types of limited standpoints only come about when people ignore context and only focus on the last 200 years of history.

Nobody is claiming either of those things though?

Nukes:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Averrences posted:

They 'won' plenty during the period when they were a Great Power - the modern standpoint of 'Sweden have never fought any battle ever' is almost as disingenuous as that meme that somehow France is 'a country of cowards'. These types of limited standpoints only come about when people ignore context and only focus on the last 200 years of history.

Notice how the original post said

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

Haven't lost a war (or battle, even) in over 200 years. :rock:

and then this guy said

the jizz taxi posted:

IIRC they haven't won one either.

meaning they haven't won a war in 200 years either. Do you get it? This is called context :)

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Neat, but why are the borders so strange? Is this broken up by county?

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Did the stereotype of the French as capitulating cowards exist before WWII? Besides that, I think of the last 200+ years of French military history as them being highly aggressive (Napoleonic Wars) or unwilling to give up despite long odds and questionable motives (Algeria, Indochina).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mei-guo for United States has always thrown me off because it doesn't sound like USA, United States, or America and the meaning is beautiful country so I assume the Chinese have been trolling fat Americans for centuries.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Barudak posted:

Mei-guo for United States has always thrown me off because it doesn't sound like USA, United States, or America and the meaning is beautiful country so I assume the Chinese have been trolling fat Americans for centuries.

It's the "mer" part I think, like Ah-mei-ri-ca. Or at least that's how I've always thought of it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

appropriatemetaphor posted:

It's the "mer" part I think, like Ah-mei-ri-ca. Or at least that's how I've always thought of it.

Yeah, from what I've found it's basically a shortened version of the "proper" name because it's too long to say (what the proper name is varies by story, but whatever).

Averrences
May 3, 2008

Farecoal posted:

Notice how the original post said

and then this guy said

meaning they haven't won a war in 200 years either. Do you get it? This is called context :)

You seem awfully hurt by what was meant to be a throw-away comment correcting a dumb historical meme?

anyway - my favourite 'what could have been'

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Barudak posted:

I like to think it was named that so that hucksters could more easily convince Chinese workers to emmigrate to build rail roads. :shobon:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Edible Hat posted:

Did the stereotype of the French as capitulating cowards exist before WWII? Besides that, I think of the last 200+ years of French military history as them being highly aggressive (Napoleonic Wars) or unwilling to give up despite long odds and questionable motives (Algeria, Indochina).

It started with the Franco-Prussian War and World War II made it stick. Getting completely and totally overrun by Germans within weeks of the beginning of the war on two out of three occasions across a 70 year timespan will make that kind of reputation, especially when they are far higher profile than the other conflicts (Neither Algeria nor Indochina featured a quick French surrender, but both were utter debacles and thus get lumped in).

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

oldman posted:

I like to think it was named that so that hucksters could more easily convince Chinese workers to emmigrate to build rail roads. :shobon:

That'd be the Chinese name for San Francisco (and the Western seaboard in general): Gold Mountain. It doesn't get more blatant than that.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Averrences posted:

You seem awfully hurt by what was meant to be a throw-away comment correcting a dumb historical meme?

Really, it was a joke and you got so defensive about it you couldn't let it slide. Their joke wasn't wrong about its historical facts either.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I never realized how large Tibet used to be, no wonder china doesn't want to give it up.

Also, if they would for any reason give it up, would Tibet go back to being a monarchy? Is that the plan?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Despite how huge it is, there's not much of value, and almost nobody living there. It's just a prestige thing.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Kamrat posted:

Also, if they would for any reason give it up, would Tibet go back to being a monarchy? Is that the plan?

There is no plan; China is not going to give Tibet up.

and it isn't worthless land, there's an abundance of mineral wealth, it's just prohibitively expensive to extract.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Kamrat posted:

I never realized how large Tibet used to be, no wonder china doesn't want to give it up.

"Farther India"? What is this? :psyduck:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Southeast Asia was very much in the Indosphere, it's just archaic language is all.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Hedera Helix posted:

"Farther India"? What is this? :psyduck:

The East Indies, if you will.

From Wikipedia:

The Indian Subcontinent (peach), the Indies/East Indies (orange) and Western New Guinea (yellow).

edit: this one does it better.

Wikipedia posted:

Indian cultural zone

Dark Orange
The Indian subcontinent

Light Orange
Other countries culturally linked to India; notably Burma, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Southern Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, and Indonesia (excluding the easternmost Indonesia region where Indian influence is non-existent).

Yellow
Regions not included in Indian cultural zone, but with considerable current or historical Indian cultural influence, notably Afghanistan, Tibet autonomous region, Yunnan province, and the Philippines.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Koramei posted:

There is no plan; China is not going to give Tibet up.

I know they're not going to give it up, I was just thinking hypothetically.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There is no hypothetical situation. Unless China gets a Gorbachev-esque type of leader, Tibet is not going anywhere.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Kamrat posted:

Not monarchy, theocracy.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
The Dalai Lama has, IIRC, renounced any temporal power over Tibet and said that any independent government shouldn't be Lamaist.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Kamrat posted:

I know they're not going to give it up, I was just thinking hypothetically.

That's like asking hypothetically if the USA gave up Massachusetts, would it go back to being a colony of the Kingdom of Great Britain.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

TheBalor posted:

The Dalai Lama has, IIRC, renounced any temporal power over Tibet and said that any independent government shouldn't be Lamaist.

I was under the impression that he wanted to get his kingdom back, interesting. Thanks for answering my question. :)

Riso posted:

Not monarchy, theocracy.

I didn't realize Tibet was a theocracy before China took over, thanks for the info. :)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kamrat posted:

I didn't realize Tibet was a theocracy before China took over, thanks for the info. :)

A pretty nasty one too. Other than the minerals and prestige, another reason China would never give it up is just about every major river in China comes from glaciers in Tibet. China has enough water problems without giving control over its fresh water supply to an independent state that could decide to cut them off.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Grand Fromage posted:

A pretty nasty one too.

I've read this a few times in this thread but no-one has gone into detail. I know literally nothing about pre-PRC Tibet, what's the story here?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Grand Fromage posted:

A pretty nasty one too.
Yeah, the Chinese taking over Tibet (again) was probably an improvement for the people living there, if the population trends are anything to go by. Looking at native Tibetans only, the population had apparently been dropping rather fast for decades, while it has grown respectively since then. Not that Tibet being a theocratic poo poo hole back then is an argument for Chinese control now,

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

GreenCard78 posted:

Without knowing anything about The Virginian, I find it funny that it is in Wyoming.

This post is from a while ago, but I'm going to answer it.

The Virginian is the name of a hotel in a town called Medicine Bow, which is a bit north of Laramie. The Virginian is a novel written by Owen Wister and is considered one of the first novels of the western genre. The literary journal published by the University of Wyoming is called the Owen Wister Review for that reason. The television show is inspired by the novel. The hotel is still standing and I've driven right by it a few times while driving form Laramie to Casper.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

I've read this a few times in this thread but no-one has gone into detail. I know literally nothing about pre-PRC Tibet, what's the story here?

http://www.michaelparenti.org/Tibet.html

This is a pretty good article. You can skip to the paragraph beginning with "Religions have had a close relationship not only with violence but with economic exploitation" if you don't want to read a broader introduction.

In short, the theocracy was a quasi-feudal system ruled by private and monastic landowners and the state apparatus served mostly to keep serfs pacified and protect property of the ruling classes. Also the lamas violently suppressed religious diversity.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

A pretty nasty one too. Other than the minerals and prestige, another reason China would never give it up is just about every major river in China comes from glaciers in Tibet. China has enough water problems without giving control over its fresh water supply to an independent state that could decide to cut them off.

Was going to say this. The sources of rivers are very important, and are only going to become more so in the future.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Thanks for sharing, it was a very interesting read. Before this I was under the impression that Tibet was a very laid-back religious country.

It shows me how I really need to read up on Asian history.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Star Man posted:

This post is from a while ago, but I'm going to answer it.

The Virginian is the name of a hotel in a town called Medicine Bow, which is a bit north of Laramie. The Virginian is a novel written by Owen Wister and is considered one of the first novels of the western genre. The literary journal published by the University of Wyoming is called the Owen Wister Review for that reason. The television show is inspired by the novel. The hotel is still standing and I've driven right by it a few times while driving form Laramie to Casper.

The hotel is also named after the novel.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

The final destinations of some 28,000 rubber ducks lost at sea in 1992

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Kamrat posted:

Thanks for sharing, it was a very interesting read. Before this I was under the impression that Tibet was a very laid-back religious country.

It shows me how I really need to read up on Asian history.

You really ought read up on asian history- And as much as I love michael parenti he is pretty wrong. Tibet was a pretty not-capitalist state, and I guess that's bad? But it was far from a theocratic hellhole- that's a position that's in line with PRC propaganda for a reason. OH NO TIBETANS MADE THINGS OUT OF PEOPLE! (It is a deeply venerative act to reuse the bones of your teacher in the making of religious artifacts). Fact is there is more modernisation in the coutnry, and a larger population. One which is mostly chinese. It's like pointing to oklahoma and going "When the natives held it, there was no free health care, people lived close to starvation and since the white man took over for them it's been a region with vastly improved quality of life. There's currently a horrid repression of people going on there, and a pretty bad genocide.

It's a more complicated issue than a bunch of posters here lead on. Especially because it has been arguably worse for native tibetans since the PRC came in; there are after all numerous genocide charges levied against a place with less reporters in it than Pyongyang.

http://www.businessinsider.com/spanish-arrest-warrants-over-genocide-in-tibet-2013-11

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-graham/goodbye-tibet_b_1093665.html

EDIT:
Also worth mentioning that the Theocrat in question is a massive advocate for social democracy, is a flaming marxist and literally a communist.

Have a pretty political map and Bod Rangzen:

Quantumfate fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 13, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Redczar posted:

The final destinations of some 28,000 rubber ducks lost at sea in 1992

This projection makes the line that goes over the North look really weird and stretched. I wonder what happened to those ducks. Did they get stuck in ice for the winter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think you are missing the point of his critique, Quantumfate. First, his criticism of Tibet isn't rooted in it being capitalist. It's based on the prevalent exploitative mode of land ownership and social stratification tied to it (plus on the repressions that kept it going).

Second, he does in fact criticize Beijing for flooding Tibet with often racist colonists and for spending money on projects that could be described not only as a frivolous waste, but also as serving only the Han in Tibet.

Third, he spends quite a lot of time highlighting Dalai Lama's ideological tenets, so his portrayal of him is far from "Theocrat".

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 13, 2014