Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I honestly prefer t20 to ODI games. I hate the middle portions of the game where the slow plodders chuck down harmless little line and length spinners/pies to force the batsman out with negative bowling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

But what about the excitement of guessing when the batting power play will happen?

I agree with you though, of any 10 one day games, at least 9 are truly forgettable. When people point to an amazing one day match it is still usually the Bevan match which was like 15+ years ago now or South Africa repeatedly making GBS threads their World Cup pants

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
I always thought 30 overs is the sweet spot where you can value your wicket a bit but it doesn't drag.

The problem with 1 day matches is no one cares. Tests are important, T20 is a show and a 5 match series is a bit meh.

World cup makes it interesting.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

I feel like some cheerleaders and a dude on a trampoline could really liven it up.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Hah Siddle the vegan, teetotaler fast bowler.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Airstream Driver posted:

I feel like some cheerleaders and a dude on a trampoline could really liven it up.

portable sandpit with people eating KFC

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

If I had a banana for every time channel 9 made a joke about the number of bananas Peter Siddle eats...

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Why are England treating Maxwell like an actual bowler? He's utter poo poo and should be hit out of the attack.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
But then they'd have to face actual bowlers.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

EMC posted:

The Return The Urn lithograph bullshit they are flogging on channel 9 should just be a framed version of SadCook_5-0.jpg

Yeah but then they'd have to pay royalties to which ever goon made the version they end up using.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
ABC with a sick burn there.

:wal:"Cook should win the dress up competition today"

:stat:"Why's that?"

:wal:"He came dressed as a cricketer!"

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

He just needed a practise catch first, thats all.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

-Spiffy- posted:

Why are England treating Maxwell like an actual bowler?

Why are the commentators?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

That last over was woeful - let's bowl every ball faaar down leg side :downs:

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
England are currently out on the ground warming up. There are six players and seven members of the coaching staff.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I honestly prefer t20 to ODI games. I hate the middle portions of the game where the slow plodders chuck down harmless little line and length spinners/pies to force the batsman out with negative bowling.
Maybe ODI's would be more exciting if each team rotated between batting and bowling every 10 overs or something.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

This Jordan lad has some interesting hand movements in his run up. It's like "here 'tis, here 'tis, here it comes!"

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Well, there was the "swap every 25 overs" idea, which I thought was worth trying out at least, and apparently they were going to do so for the domestic One-Day comp some years back but it never got that far because some malarkey about the purity of the format.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Awful attempt at a catch that.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

The Deadly Hume posted:

Well, there was the "swap every 25 overs" idea, which I thought was worth trying out at least, and apparently they were going to do so for the domestic One-Day comp some years back but it never got that far because some malarkey about the purity of the format.

They did this for a season of the Ryobi Cup about 4 or 5 years ago. 25/20 over split with a bonus point for whoever was ahead at the split.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

That is horse poo poo.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I would be spewing if I was a pom.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
The low pads saved him I reckon. Umpire woulda given it otherwise.

Hawkeye seems a bit poo poo this summer. Its never been great mind you.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

How is it in tennis?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

That was a bloody hard chance but they have certainly dropped a few.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
You may find this hard to believe but there is a cricket bar in Los Angeles. Enjoying this ODI at 12:17 AM with a pint.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

How is it in tennis?

Different system, and tennis is easier because it's just recording what happened, instead of trying to predict what might have happened.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Newb question: What happens if the batsman hits the ball into the opposing wicket?

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

MaoistBanker posted:

Newb question: What happens if the batsman hits the ball into the opposing wicket?

On its own? Nothing. However if the bowler manages to get a touch on it, and the other batsman is out of his crease, he is run out.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

glasnost toyboy posted:

On its own? Nothing. However if the bowler manages to get a touch on it, and the other batsman is out of his crease, he is run out.

Thanks very much!

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

nm

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 12, 2014

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

MaoistBanker if you were watching as Finch brought up his half century he just hit the stumps. I was going to say that the stumps can act as an extra fielder if the batsman hits the ball straight but Finch managed to get the ball to rebound off at a crazy angle and go for four. Very amusing.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Lmao no way is this a catch.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

That is pretty similar to the catch that Haddin turned down in the test match.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Somebody fire up horns.aiff

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
As soon as they started checking the replay you knew they were gonna call it not out. Those never look like they carry.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

To me it looks like he traps the ball but it clearly hits turf.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Probably the right call. Tough one to give out to be honest. Its very hard to say that the ball didn't hit the grass.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Hahahahahaha Bresnan that was magical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Good Lord, a fielder missing the ball as it runs to the boundary with a billboard behind him that says "YOU BLOODY IDIOT"

That may surpass Cook compilation as the best cricket image.

• Locked thread