Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

It's more likely a forces wide restriction on social media waiting to happen once he crosses some line that can't be ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I actually think that Cpl Bloggins guy is hilarious. The "Meanwhile in Viking Alberta" picture with the LSVW in the ditch killed me.

Sixerfixer
Oct 13, 2013

I'm not going to try and sell you that three guys in the shed out back with a swinging light bulb and a bottle of SoCo is a model for responsible government. I'm just gonna say it works.
Thanks for the advice, guys. I've heard from another Reg force mate that the process can be drawn out, but it's nice to reassured. I'm glad the reserves aren't being cut, uh, for obvious reasons but also I I think it just sits well with me that we have a reserve force in case we ever need it.

When I was being interviewed all of them were at the new location. I was kinda surprised and relieved they weren't at Dow's Lake any more. Those buildings were only ever meant to be temporary, and I bet if HMCS Carleton ever finds a better location the forces could make a killing on the land value.

Here's a follow-up question; what are the odds of me being sent off to St. Jean or Gagetown this summer if I'm sworn in asap?

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Sixerfixer posted:

Thanks for the advice, guys. I've heard from another Reg force mate that the process can be drawn out, but it's nice to reassured. I'm glad the reserves aren't being cut, uh, for obvious reasons but also I I think it just sits well with me that we have a reserve force in case we ever need it.

When I was being interviewed all of them were at the new location. I was kinda surprised and relieved they weren't at Dow's Lake any more. Those buildings were only ever meant to be temporary, and I bet if HMCS Carleton ever finds a better location the forces could make a killing on the land value.

Here's a follow-up question; what are the odds of me being sent off to St. Jean or Gagetown this summer if I'm sworn in asap?

I have no idea. Both are terrible, although Saint Jean may be the better school because everything is in the building. Gage town has you marching around the base a bit which gets really old really fast I'd imagine.

Also you will likely never see Saint Jean ever again so if you wanted to tour Canada you can get Quebec checked off the list.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Cpl Bloggins is a giant douche. Nothing's worse than some infantry PAT platoon reject making fun of non-combat trades.

edit: Plus horrible spelling.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Yeah I just read the actual Facebook page rather than look at picture on my phone and there's some pretty toxic public poo poo being aired. Some of those pictures do crack me up though, the one with the Combat Engineer as the deformed guy from 300 was pretty funny.

Really an infantry PAT? Weak.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I have no idea if he is or not but generally if you've actually been places and done poo poo with the army you're not going to brag about it on the internet to strangers or shame others for not being war heroes.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-glHAzXi_M

prob my fav 'tube

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Ok so apparently the CF is making GBS threads a collective brick over this Cpl Bloggins group on Facebook.

This is loving retarded.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

MA-Horus posted:

Ok so apparently the CF is making GBS threads a collective brick over this Cpl Bloggins group on Facebook.

This is loving retarded awesome.

Are we sure it's the "CF" and not just the RSM/CSM net having a collective stroke? Whatever. It's mostly terrible and unfunny and brings out the worst commenters. The whole situation is a shiticane.

'greed.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Well apparently multiple regiments have has O groups regarding it, and also the MPs might be involved also.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The MPs totally have the authority and the means to compel Facebook to identify the person responsible. Why they haven't is anyone's guess, but my vote's for "because they also think that poo poo is hilarious".

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

We had an informal chat about it at work, because names were getting dropped and a lot of dirty laundry about females was getting aired.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Frosted Flake posted:

...a lot of dirty laundry about females was getting aired.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuup. Could've laid off/discouraged that, but idiots everywhere.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Still standing by what I said at the top of the page.

Guest2553 posted:

It's more likely a forces wide restriction on social media waiting to happen once he crosses some line that can't be ignored.

ps. gently caress him.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 12, 2014

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

compressioncut posted:

It's mostly terrible and unfunny and brings out the worst commenters.

This part I do find amusing. It's waaaaay too easy to troll your average Petawawa citizen or army dink. I almost feel bad for them :allears:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

He did call out a shitpump that I hate, so it's good for schadenfreude.

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008
It looks like he just name dropped the officer who handled his O group and then made fun of her in other posts...How can anyone be this stupid?

I enjoy going to his page every now and again to track the rise and fall of the number of likes.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Re: the up to 35% of members in Cold Lake who have to hold down multiple jobs, from an old guy who worked in these circles -

quote:

Here's the problem: someone in NDHQ, someone important and someone who actually cares ~ say the VCDS, see this and says to the three or four striper who runs his "office," his Chief of Staff, "What the hell is gong on. Get the right people to tell me how this lad got into this mess and how we're going to help get him out."

The COS gets on with it: a few urgent memos (e-mails, now, I suppose) are fired off and a 20 minute block is cleared on the VCDS' calendar for a day a week or so from now.

Meanwhile new crises (and they all feel like real crises in the hot-house environment of the 13th floor of Fort Fumble) pop up ~ several a day ~ which demand the attention of the VCDS and his COS.

A week or so later a briefing team arrives in the VCDS' ante room ~ they are nowhere near as busy as he is and they have prepared a soothing, plausible, fact filled briefing ~ signed off by two or three two stars and an ADM or two ~ that will explain that there are systems in place, not perfect, but really quite good, and the CF member in question has some problems of his own making and he has failed to use the system properly and, anyway, there are detailed staff studies underway which will, almost certainly, come up with even better systems but NDHQ, indeed the whole Government of Canada, cannot down tools and fix one problem ... and, and. and ... nearly ad infinitum.

Just before the briefing is due to end the COS will whisper that the DM wants to see the VCDS ASP about another, even more serious problem, so the one, important question the VCDSC was about to ask ("How can we help this guy, now?") will fall by the wayside. The VCDS will, almost absent mindedly thank the briefers and will hustle down the hall to deal with the next issue.

Everyone, including the VCDS' COS will put a check mark in the boxes saying "Problem Seen," "Briefing Given," and "Problem Solved."

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

It seems like issues like that should get solved at a lower level than the VCDS, you'd think there's some BrigGen in charge of finance who would draft changes to financial policy and the VCDS/CDS are just there to sign off on it really. But what the gently caress do I know about the dealings of flag officers.

I don't see people working two jobs as an issue really. I work on the side around 4 days a week, not because I have to, more because I want to. I don't think the cost of living is more in Cold Lake than in Edmonton, and I think as Cpls and above we make more than enough money to live comfortably.

The whole Cpl Bloggins thing is magnificent. It's a burning train wreck and I can't look away. Most of his content is unfunny or in really poor taste and he is a bastard about it too. Calling people out by name and posting peoples BMQ stupid-loving-private pictures is crossing a line and I think if his CoC finds out who he is he's fuuuuuucked. The sandwich jokes are lame, but the reactions are priceless.

Have you guys checked out the new recruiting site? It's so much better than when I joined. I'm planning on going to the BPSO about to talk about commissioning and O/T'ing into the air force. Air Combat Systems Officer looks like it'd be awesome. Hopefully I can get out of the army but there's other positions I would consider. I drink the cool aid pretty hard but the amount of ridiculous BS you have to deal with at a combat unit blows me away.

Samu fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 11, 2014

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Samu posted:

Air Combat Systems Officer looks like it'd be awesome.

They just renamed navigators and I've yet to figure out what exactly they do that isn't already done to some extent by other air ops trades. RCAF doesn't have backseat weapon officers a la the F15E/F18 so the most tacticool spot available is being a backseat EW pod operator in greenwood on contracted (non expeditionary) alpha jets to provide training for other airborne platforms. It looks like navs were able to wrastle their way into (non weaponized) UAVs but I'm not sure what that future looks like. It's a huge trade mafia so if you stay in long enough you'll probably make major at which point most air force ops jobs start to blend together anyways.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Samu posted:

Have you guys checked out the new recruiting site? It's so much better than when I joined. I'm planning on going to the BPSO about to talk about commissioning and O/T'ing into the air force. Air Combat Systems Officer looks like it'd be awesome. Hopefully I can get out of the army but there's other positions I would consider. I drink the cool aid pretty hard but the amount of ridiculous BS you have to deal with at a combat unit blows me away.

I did exactly this so ask me anything. I was originally going to try ACSO but then they lifted the laser surgery restriction on pilot so I did that instead. Make sure you are thoroughly refreshed, and fast, on your grade 11 type math before writing the ACSO aptitude test: I failed it when I wrote it because I didn't do any refresher, but I'd be fine now that I've done some university math.

The only two in-service commissioning options I would recommend are Special Commissioning Plan (SCP) and University Training Plan for Non-Commissioned Members (UTPNCM, I am doing this as we speak). SCP means you have to have a degree already, probably not realistic. UTP, you need to have done two university-level courses as a minimum, and you need to be a substantive (QL5) Cpl. The more school and quals the better, of course, especially since they have cut back on available spots since I got in. And when I got in, they took 3 of us for pilot. There's also the Continuing Education Officer Training Plan, but I would not recommend it. In it, you are responsible for doing your degree on your own time before a certain period is up - I haven't spoken to anyone in the program who would do it again.

The good news is that they will probably not send you to RMC as they would prefer to keep you in place and not shell out a cost move. Fully paid civy U for 4 years is about the best deal going. The only lovely thing is that they have now really cracked down on the degrees they will fund, which have to match the "ideal" for your trade. I expect ACSO is similar to pilot in that it has to be a STEM-type degree. The BPSO will have a current list of "ideals." I got grandfathered in with some vague wording in the requirement, which just said a "science" with no clarification. I picked BSc psychology :D

As for what navs do, yeah in the Sea King they are basically interchangeable with AESOPs, except AESOPs operate wet sensors and navs keep the tactical picture (called tactical coordinators). It's a pretty manual job, hoisting a moving poo poo onto the airplane on the the ground and so on. Obviously more administrative non-flying responsibilities and staff jobs. Not super familiar with the current state of Auroras but senior navs are TACNAVs, basically running the mission which would be pretty cool. There are also junior NAVCOMMs, who beyond talking on the radio I don't know what they do. They used to do wet sensors but got bumped, with AESOPs doing all the sensors now. Navs can be aircraft commanders as experienced Cpts.

I know absolutely nothing about what they do on Alpha Jets.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
Anybody knows how much is a PMQs in Coldlake? Because other than this, everything else should be the same cost as in Edmonton.(Gaz, boozes, electricity)

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
Cold Lake has half the PLD rate as edmonton with less housing opportunities/options, as far as I know.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/01/11/with-cost-of-housing-through-the-roof-cfb-cold-lake-soldier-resorts-to-busking
http://globalnews.ca/news/705190/rcaf-members-at-cold-lake-work-second-jobs-to-make-ends-meet-ombudsman/
http://www.ombudsman.forces.gc.ca/en/ombudsman-news-events-media-news/release-cold-lake.page
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/Canadian+military+raising+rent+hackles/9373911/story.html
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/cold-lake-alta-boom-squeezing-military-families-1.1258289

Lot of bad news coming out of Cold Lake in recent years because of the oil boom. You can't be charged more than 25% of pay but you'll pay over $300 bucks a month to heat it in winter because there is no insulation. And then because the "fair market value" of that house is 1800/month your HUGE DISCOUNT will be considered a taxable benefit so you'll pay an extra couple hundred a month.

Maybe something will get done about it by the time you've retired. Incidentally, the release rate is over 13% for that base.

quote:

Military housing rents in Cold Lake are roughly double that of comparable Air Force bases in Greenwood, Nova Scotia and Bagotville, Quebec.
Military homes at CFB Cold Lake were mostly built 60 years ago.
Only 18 of 853 of military homes (Residential Housing Units) are assessed as being in good condition; 486 in fair condition; 349 in poor condition.
828 homes have warnings of possible asbestos (in vermiculite insulation) in sealed-off attics.
640 homes have ungrounded electrical outlets.
250 homes have running water throughout the winter to prevent freezing pipes.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 12, 2014

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

compressioncut posted:

I did exactly this so ask me anything. I was originally going to try ACSO but then they lifted the laser surgery restriction on pilot so I did that instead. Make sure you are thoroughly refreshed, and fast, on your grade 11 type math before writing the ACSO aptitude test: I failed it when I wrote it because I didn't do any refresher, but I'd be fine now that I've done some university math.

The only two in-service commissioning options I would recommend are Special Commissioning Plan (SCP) and University Training Plan for Non-Commissioned Members (UTPNCM, I am doing this as we speak). SCP means you have to have a degree already, probably not realistic. UTP, you need to have done two university-level courses as a minimum, and you need to be a substantive (QL5) Cpl. The more school and quals the better, of course, especially since they have cut back on available spots since I got in. And when I got in, they took 3 of us for pilot. There's also the Continuing Education Officer Training Plan, but I would not recommend it. In it, you are responsible for doing your degree on your own time before a certain period is up - I haven't spoken to anyone in the program who would do it again.

The good news is that they will probably not send you to RMC as they would prefer to keep you in place and not shell out a cost move. Fully paid civy U for 4 years is about the best deal going. The only lovely thing is that they have now really cracked down on the degrees they will fund, which have to match the "ideal" for your trade. I expect ACSO is similar to pilot in that it has to be a STEM-type degree. The BPSO will have a current list of "ideals." I got grandfathered in with some vague wording in the requirement, which just said a "science" with no clarification. I picked BSc psychology :D

As for what navs do, yeah in the Sea King they are basically interchangeable with AESOPs, except AESOPs operate wet sensors and navs keep the tactical picture (called tactical coordinators). It's a pretty manual job, hoisting a moving poo poo onto the airplane on the the ground and so on. Obviously more administrative non-flying responsibilities and staff jobs. Not super familiar with the current state of Auroras but senior navs are TACNAVs, basically running the mission which would be pretty cool. There are also junior NAVCOMMs, who beyond talking on the radio I don't know what they do. They used to do wet sensors but got bumped, with AESOPs doing all the sensors now. Navs can be aircraft commanders as experienced Cpts.

I know absolutely nothing about what they do on Alpha Jets.

Thanks man this is all super helpful. Did you keep the same pay grade through school? I imagine that you lose your rank and go down to Officer Cadet but keep your pay. At what point do you get promoted to 2Lt?

I really like the job description of ASCO, but I think i'll have to do a fair amount of prep work before applying. While I did take University level math in high school I was fairly average at it, but that was mainly due to a lack of interest. Hopefully the BPSO can steer me in the right direction for brushing up on my math skills especially since I've forgotten most of what I learned back then.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
You're right, you get appointed OCdt normally 1 July the year you are selected. Pay is the same (including spec if you get it) and you still get yearly IPC increases and so on. You get your 2Lt on university grad unless you were substantive (ie PLQ) MCpl, in which case it's a simultaneous promotion to 1Lt. And, pay stays at whatever level it was until such time as the officer IPC you are in exceeds the NCM one. I will be in NCM scales probably till Cpt 3 or so, for example.

For CEOTP you are 2Lted right away and into some weird pay category that I'm convinced is a pretty big cut but have been told otherwise. Not sure what SCP does.

One thing I really recommend is to get yourself on a PLQ ASAP, for two reasons: first, it's pretty big selection points as demonstrated (whatever) leadership experience, and you bypass BMOQ entirely. Without it you have to go back to St. Jean and join some platoon for the second half of their course.

The PSO will very likely tell you the same thing about math as I did, grade 11 refresher. The test is designed for kids just starting grade 12 after all. I would definitely recommend actual structured courses rather than doing it on your own - here are some refreshers that cost like $30 for 6 weeks, recommended by one of the local schools https://sites.google.com/site/mathchaircamosun/home/ALEKS-prep-courses

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

compressioncut posted:

Pay is the same (including spec if you get it)

Huh, that's interesting. I've only ever looked at how it works for VOTing and was pretty sure you lost spec when you remustered and only regain if/when you qualify for it again in your new trade. I guess this is different or maybe I'm just misinformed?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ub posted:

Huh, that's interesting. I've only ever looked at how it works for VOTing and was pretty sure you lost spec when you remustered and only regain if/when you qualify for it again in your new trade. I guess this is different or maybe I'm just misinformed?

You are not. Once you leave your unit that qualifies for spec pay you lose it until you're in another unit with spec pay.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Everything's different depending on the plan. CBI 204.211

quote:

204.211(10) (Officer Cadet – former non-commissioned member) An officer cadet who is appointed directly to that rank from a non-commissioned rank shall be paid:

if the member was a non-commissioned member of the Regular Force, at the rate of pay which, including any upward adjustments to the rates of pay determined under subparagraphs (i) and (ii) that may be established from time to time, and any upward adjustments resulting from the reallocation of the last military occupation in which the member served as a non-commissioned member to a higher trade group, is the greater of the rate of pay established for:
the rank, pay increment, pay level and trade group held on the day immediately prior to the date of appointment to the rank of officer cadet, or
any higher pay increment to which the member would have become entitled had the member remained in the former rank, pay level and trade group as a non-commissioned member

Trade group is basic, spec I, spec II.

I was wrong (I think) about staying in NCM pay tables after commissioning. It seems to me that you go into the officer table at a level equal to or above. Probably the only effect is how big (and how many) incentives there are.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, my bad, I thought we were talking NCM/NCO to NCM/NCO. Which I've heard is that way from the BPSO.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
UTPNCM was being discussed. I asked if pay works the same was as when you're bumped to Cpl when you remuster WRT to spec pay; it seems it does not. Spec pay is a pretty serious bump to the paycheque and hanging on to it would be very nice. (Incidentally it's under review for my trade; fingers crossed we keep it!)

Kinda amazing how much fine print seems to need to be involved to handle all the little aspects of any thing you want to do.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
I don't think spec pay has ever been removed once granted - what I know of "reviews" is that it's just that, making sure the rationale for granting it in the first place still holds. Unless the trade has changed significantly in what it does in the past few years, it shouldn't be a problem. But of course, fearmongers are everywhere. I know I couldn't take a $600+/mo pay cut.

The pay for NCM OTs works exactly like you guys think it does and is described in the same CBI. Why it's that way, who the gently caress knows.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I actually have Mods 1 - 5 of my PLQ, but no QL5. QL5 is coming up this summer, but getting on a Mod 6 is easier said then done, especially if my unit finds out I'm planning on changing trades/pursuing a commission. My unit is pretty bad for setting up roadblocks at every turn when ever anyone wants to OT, join CSOR, SARTECH ect. I imagine that if I decide to go ahead and do this it'll be a long process, but I'm alright with that.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Well the competition messages don't come out until late summer and applications usually don't have to be finished at the PSO level until Xmas leave time. If you want to keep it under your hat till then it shouldn't be a problem, but I'll never understand army units and their bullshit. I would never discourage anyone from applying, unless they were truly lovely and only then because I couldn't honestly write recommendations and stuff.

Fortunately the only things you need from your CoC are a CO's letter of recommendation, which you should write yourself anyway (he'll obviously see and correct and sign it), and the PSO referral form. It's used by the PSO to compare what your supervisor says about you and the impression you give during the interview, so not critical, and it's signed by your divisional officer/whatever they use in the army. Your MCpl or Sgt shouldn't be able to get away with filling in "shitpump" in all the boxes. Pretty well everything else is on you to gather.

But yeah it could still take a while. I applied three times(!).

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

FORCE TEST WOO. Under the survey I checked, I want my DEUs to reflect my force test results with a special emblem.

This thing is such a loving joke. I'm surprised they don't give you ice cream between exercises.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Beats the poo poo out of walking in circles through the sectors followed by a company attack and digging in because we're 'ard as gently caress by's

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

After getting yet another blank pay statement I started to look up pay charts, which segued info pension/benefit tangents.

The pension FAQ has a few scenarios to explain things, but the stock images really sell the article.

Maybe if "Major Smith" was actually Canadian he wouldn't have such a hard time figuring out what to do.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Haha "PO1 Elizabeth Chan" is actually First Nations (I know who she is). Must be her married name.

My pay statements are weird too, especially in that the end month statements now have the PLD rolled into salary again. Mid-month is still a separate payment, according to policy. They were also very slightly decreasing every month after the post EI bump mid-year and mid/end month. Tax time ought to be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!

compressioncut posted:

Haha "PO1 Elizabeth Chan" is actually First Nations (I know who she is). Must be her married name.

If you're thinking the NCIOp, that's not her.