Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

The absolutely loving terrifying one is when someone seriously proposed dimethylmercury as a propellant. "Safe? Oh yeah, that stuff's safe. No problem." The author called up Kodak to order some and Kodak said "What the gently caress? Do you know how insane that is?"

There's a short passage where he describes a NERVA motor as "an impressive little gadget".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

CMS posted:

Thank you for the link! I've been hunting for this book for a long time.

So have I...but it doesn't display correctly for me. I only get a few pages, max.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Phy posted:

There's a short passage where he describes a NERVA motor as "an impressive little gadget".

He describes liquid propellant artillery guns as suffering from "engineering problems".

I suppose random catastrophic explosions are engineering problems, yes.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Even not having read this book, it sounds like being a chemist working on rocket propellants redefines your definitions of 'problems' and 'dangerous'.

e: wait I'm an idiot Sumatra.pdf works fine.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 8, 2014

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Smiling Jack posted:

He describes liquid propellant artillery guns as suffering from "engineering problems".

I suppose random catastrophic explosions are engineering problems, yes.

Well, he's right.

The problem isn't one of chemistry. He's a chemist. As far as his work is concerned liquid propellents are perfectly suitable for artillery projectiles. Squirt a bit of 'splody liquid A in the chamber with a bit of 'splody liquid B, get boom, launch shell.

Now, how one safely delivers the precise amount that is required into a carefully regulated pressure vessel in such a way that it reliably ignites - and does so only precisely when you WANT it to ignite - well all that is a question of how the gun should be built.

In other words, an engineering problem.

See also: the Me 163. It wasn't the chemists fault that the binary rocket fuels liked to blow some of the airplanes up on landing. Not their department, take that poo poo to the airplane designers.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Vindolanda posted:

Hmm. Apparently the next COD game should be aimed at british audiences with this plot because I am hard as hell right now

I always thought the games were sorta aimed at Brits, what with all of the main protagonist being Brits saving American asses while they all die in a pile.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Snowdens Secret posted:

What video games do have a Falklands component?

FWIW The Project Reality mod for Battlefield 2 has a Falklands spinoff.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Thump! posted:

I always thought the games were sorta aimed at Brits, what with all of the main protagonist being Brits saving American asses while they all die in a pile.

I just thought that was the attempt at making a realistic war game

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Well, he's right.

It's just amusing how cavalier he is about it.

wentworth
Oct 6, 2004
Dogshit Ranger
That is the beauty of the entire book, how cavalier their attitudes were to insanely dangerous compounds. The monopropellent chapter was particularly holy loving poo poo.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snowdens Secret posted:

What video games do have a Falklands component? I remember the ancient Strike Fleet having Falklands missions that really showed off how awful the British ships' AAW capabilities were, but that's the only one to come to mind, and that came out pretty close to the conflict itself.

A couple of grognard games and Harpoon.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Fleet Command has a hypothetical Falklands v2 scenario called Nuestras Malvinas.

It was annoying because harriers have no goddamn stamina and no legs so you had to micro the strikes and CAP like hell.
Also beacuse your long range capabilties is precisely one sub with TLAMs and subs are pretty bugged, insisting on submerging (and thus becomming incommunicado untill the next comms window) after launching two missiles and that is usually not enough to saturate defenses.

Oh, and the Sea King early warning radar platform, the helicopter carrier usully starts too far away from the carrier for effective CAP IIRC, so you have to evade Argie fighters with a drat sea king or go without decent sensor coverage.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Caconym posted:

It was annoying because harriers have no goddamn stamina and no legs so you had to micro the strikes and CAP like hell.
Also beacuse your long range capabilties is precisely one sub with TLAMs and subs are pretty bugged, insisting on submerging (and thus becomming incommunicado untill the next comms window) after launching two missiles and that is usually not enough to saturate defenses.

Oh, and the Sea King early warning radar platform, the helicopter carrier usully starts too far away from the carrier for effective CAP IIRC, so you have to evade Argie fighters with a drat sea king or go without decent sensor coverage.

Welcome to Sandy Woodward's world.

Seriously, unless it was way over exaggerated (like the Harriers could only fly for 2 minutes or something) all that stuff sounds pretty much completely accurate for what the Task Force had to deal with.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Last of the Il-2 Sturmovikians :ussr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF9VZSkVZI0

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

Welcome to Sandy Woodward's world.

Seriously, unless it was way over exaggerated (like the Harriers could only fly for 2 minutes or something) all that stuff sounds pretty much completely accurate for what the Task Force had to deal with.

The hilarious part was that the British Harriers were given AMRAAMs in order to make them remotely capable in that game.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

MantisClaw posted:

The hilarious part was that the British Harriers were given AMRAAMs in order to make them remotely capable in that game.

:lol:

Double lol if they were FRS.1s.

\/ I'm saying in the game...I'm not familiar with it so for all I know it could be a "Falklands War part 2" scenario that takes place in 1998 or something. As far as the war itself, those were all FRS.1s and it was a huge deal that they had all-aspect Sidewinders, much less AMRAAMs. \/

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 11, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bunch of sources says the 51 and 2 only got delivered in 88, soooo......

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

blackbird pilot selfie

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Scratch Monkey posted:

blackbird pilot selfie

All other selfies became meaningless after that one, honestly.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

iyaayas01 posted:

\/ I'm saying in the game...I'm not familiar with it so for all I know it could be a "Falklands War part 2" scenario that takes place in 1998 or something. As far as the war itself, those were all FRS.1s and it was a huge deal that they had all-aspect Sidewinders, much less AMRAAMs. \/

Did they have Sparrows or something of that nature?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Mortabis posted:

Did they have Sparrows or something of that nature?

No only the 'winders and the original Ferranti radar.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Scratch Monkey posted:

blackbird pilot selfie

Pretty sure that's from Sled Driver.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I just noticed. Is he wearing eyeglasses?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Looks like it. It's more common than you'd think; needing glasses isn't an automatic disqualification on a flight physical.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Scratch Monkey posted:

I just noticed. Is he wearing eyeglasses?

Yeah, it's Brian Shul.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Plinkey posted:

Yeah, it's Brian Shul.

That's a cool hands-free opti-grab he's got.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Looks like it. It's more common than you'd think; needing glasses isn't an automatic disqualification on a flight physical.

I hear the RCAF is relaxing their requirements on that due to so few qualified pilots available. Things like RAF pilots moving here with less than perfect vision.

It bummed me out I was a little nearsighted starting in high school so my plan to fly C130s was ruined :(

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

priznat posted:

I hear the RCAF is relaxing their requirements on that due to so few qualified pilots available. Things like RAF pilots moving here with less than perfect vision.

It bummed me out I was a little nearsighted starting in high school so my plan to fly C130s was ruined :(
Did you apply, or did some recruiter just tell you that you couldn't be a pilot with less than perfect vision?

In the US Military at least, it's been that way for a while:

Jeff Feinstein, WSO, Ace, next to his F-4 at Udon RTAB

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
What are the vision requirements? My friend's dad had to get a waiver to be a BUFF nav, and he was an academy graduate in '78 or so.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I didn't apply, I went in and talked to a recruiter when I was in HS, like 15-16 I guess and my eyesight wasn't good enough. I forget if it had to be 20/20 or even better but I had a slight prescription (like -3) and he said it was not gonna happen.

Also I was already p drat tall at 15 so I probably wouldn't fit in most planes anyway. My dad's cousin is 6'3" and he was right at the limit for the CF-104 (he survived!)

Being tall is not really advantage for just about anything in the military I think. I could barely fit in the CF leopard 1 that was at a defense contractor co-op job I worked at, sigh. Tanks are also pretty cool. And lol ships/submarines!

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is it true you can't be a pilot if you have that thing where looking into bright light makes you sneeze?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
No, you're thinking of not being able to lick your elbow.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

fuf posted:

Is it true you can't be a pilot if you have that thing where looking into bright light makes you sneeze?

Doesn't everybody have that??

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

monkeytennis posted:

Doesn't everybody have that??

Nope apparently only 18-35%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photic_sneeze_reflex

Article says it's dangerous for pilots, but doesn't say it excludes anyone from being a pilot. I definitely read that once though.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

iyaayas01 posted:

It is indeed a "part 2" with upgraded radars, can't remember in what year it's supposed to be set.
Did the harriers ever get AMRAAMs?
You really don't want anything to get within sidewider range in that game, assuming that's also pretty realistic. :v:

The air to air aspect of the game is pretty much "Tomcat with phoenix > all", so being "stuck" with AMRAAMs in a scenario feels like being gimped, much less only sidewinders.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Caconym posted:

It is indeed a "part 2" with upgraded radars, can't remember in what year it's supposed to be set.
Did the harriers ever get AMRAAMs?
You really don't want anything to get within sidewider range in that game, assuming that's also pretty realistic. :v:

The air to air aspect of the game is pretty much "Tomcat with phoenix > all", so being "stuck" with AMRAAMs in a scenario feels like being gimped, much less only sidewinders.

Yeah the F.2 did, wiki says the upgrade dates back to '88 but I distinctly remember reading about them finally getting AMRAAM in AFM or something in the mid/late 90s.

Sounds like Fleet Command is as hilariously broken as Harpoon is with regards to shooting AIM-54s. You could plink Su-27s flying low over Norwegian Fjords in that game :rolleyes:

Not that I didn't get back at the USN in the mirror scenario by sinking all of their carriers with a closely coordinated multiregiment Backfire strike. Which I'm sure the AVMF couldn't have pulled off even in their wildest dreams against anything but a stupid video game AI.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

joat mon posted:

That's a cool hands-free opti-grab he's got.

Pilots going cockeyed is no joke.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You can always suffer through PRK if your vision is bad enough.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Plinkey posted:

You can always suffer through PRK if your vision is bad enough.

Guessing that wasn't an option for sled drivers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snowdens Secret posted:

Guessing that wasn't an option for sled drivers

Probably not, I'm not even sure how long PRK has been around. My sister just had it done because she is thinking about flying helicopters if she can get a spot. She said it was awful, basically out of work on pain meds for 5 days during the recovery.

LASIK is a no-go for vision correction apparently because of the chance of a flap coming off.

This is also pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn6CgKEuB-M