Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Pork Lift posted:

It's a pretty late recommendation but Dyslexiactic and Proximal Chocolate's High School Dreams Let's pee is both radical and tubular. The game is a highly advanced, fully voice acted dolly dress up teen girl sim with a deep plot, complex characters and a grimdark twist ending. Okay actually it's shallow and about attracting boyz by dressing in clothes they like but the voice acting thing is actually true.

If you burn through all the videos now you might be able to vote on who they take to prom, probably the most important vote you will ever make in your lives (politics is garbage, government is evil, boyz are forever)

Watch this LP. Watch it now. Watch it and see what you missed out on because you were all probably unpopular losers in high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUMMYMTN
May 22, 2003

eating only apples posted:

I can't emphasise this more, this is by far the best LP in this forum right now

It really is. The whole thread (videos and participation both)make for the really fun, positive, and inclusive experience that this subforum's been missing for a while.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

kalonZombie posted:

I have been tearing through Geop's Assassin's Creed LP and you should too, if you haven't already. I don't know what I'm going to do with my free time when I'm done.

Oh wait, he did the second game too. Marvelous. :allears:

I'd like to second this, it's a very nicely done informative runthrough of an interesting game that gives a lot of historical background on the time period. It's reminiscent of Research Indicates' Trespasser, except you get facts about 11th century monarchs and battles instead of dinosaurs.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Dazzling Addar posted:

I'd like to second this, it's a very nicely done informative runthrough of an interesting game that gives a lot of historical background on the time period. It's reminiscent of Research Indicates' Trespasser, except you get facts about 11th century monarchs and battles instead of dinosaurs.

The AC2 LP is even better, by all accounts. Gameplay videos have some really nicely done history lessons about the locations Ezio visits or climbs and these are supplemented by longer explorations of some topics related to stuff in the game or characters or background. Add to this that Geop does really well considering the controls of the AC games have a few issues. I watched through the entire thing even though I had played the game back when it came out because of those factors.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Hey so if you haven't been watching Skoolmunkee's LP of The Cave, you should be. It's sort of a Lost Vikings-esque puzzle game made by Double Fine that is weirdly enough, a somewhat dark morality play. The videos are short, so you don't have to dedicate much time to watching one and the commentary is fun without being intrusive.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
If you like edutainment, Bobbin Threadbare's Deus Ex LP just got off the ground and is looking good, as well as Skippy Granola's Sang Froid LP which is chugging along nicely. The angle on these is that they concatenate a related video essay about at the end of the video (topics related themes in Deus Ex, or Canadian history for Sang Froid). I recomend them for anyone who's been missing their edutainment fix since Suspicious finished up TR2.

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 15, 2014

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Magnetic North posted:

If you like edutainment, Bobbin Threadbare's Deus Ex LP just got off the ground and is looking good, as well as Skippy Granola's Sang Froid LP which is chugging along nicely. The angle on these is that they concatenate a related video essay about at the end of the video (topics related themes in Deus Ex, or Canadian history for Sang Froid). I recomend them for anyone who's been missing their edutainment fix since Suspicious finished up TR2.

Welp! Sorry the updates are so slow in coming, but Sang-Froid will be finished, I swear.

And seconding Bobbin's LP. I'm following it myself and it's pretty rad so far.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
After several days I've finally caught up to Vorgen's Baldur's Gate Trilogy: Big World Project Thread and it's certainly a good read. Big World Project is basically the largest mod pack ever made, combining three already sizable classic games(BG1, BG2, and BG2:ToB) into one giant adventure, along with piling over 1000(!) mods on top of it. The mods of course range in quality and Vorgen does an excellent job showing off as many of the mods as he can while also doing an excellent job showing off the base game at once, although he does use a narrative that might not be your cup of tea. I personally find it works well for the LP, due to the nature of the beast. I personally suggest skimming through the thread so you can see why choices were made, along with reactions to some of the more "what the gently caress...?" decisions mod makers made to the games.

Only real "warning" though, despite the size of the lp so far, he's still on the first game, but that looks to be changing real soon. If you got the time, give it a read! All this time and still being on the first game, he's only merely scratched the surface to the horrors of what's to come, "when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you” indeed. :stare:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you aren't watching cKnoor's Don't Starve LP, you are literally the shittiest person on earth. He has a great style, and doing the narrative thing via video works out really well. It's breaking new ground and it's amazing. Also, the best LP on the forums currently.

He just wrapped up Wilson, so now we can vote on a new Character.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
A few people have asked in one of these stickied threads about Kung-Fu Jesus' Shadow Complex LP. The videos had always been on his site, Discoshiny, until it went under, and nowhere else. But now he's put the LP on YouTube, so if you liked the LP (and it was pretty good), now you can watch it again!

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
It's unfortunate that Hitman: Contracts doesn't have a coherent storyline, because Iron Chitlin and co.'s LP of it is hilarious, and I'm pretty sure that's the only thing holding the thread back from being more active. You should take a look.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3592515

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Anyone that hasn't checked out or kept up with Picayune's MySims Agents thread, it just wrapped up about a week and a half ago. Surprisingly well written, I'd recommend it to anyone even if they didn't like The Sims.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Pins' fledgling Ribbit King LP is shaping up to be a good one, especially if you like laid-back group commentary.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Pins' fledgling Ribbit King LP is shaping up to be a good one, especially if you like laid-back group commentary.

What he said.

When we were on Mumble and Pins discovered Ribbit King the first words out of his mouth were "I think I have to Let's Play this."

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Yeah, Frolf is real.

Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

I'm angry and I want to express it somehow.
:sun:
Also chiming in to suggest checking out the Frolfing. Click that, look at the OP, click the things in the OP. I'm assuming you've stopped reading this because you're now watching the LP instead.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
After a recent visit to Studworth Manor, I stumbled in a forest of hunks and came upon the Mecca of hunk-dom. You should visit there too: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3596556 (it's Muscle March and you should guys should be watching it)

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Does anyone have any knowledge of a Let's Play showing off Ultima Online that isn't insufferable? Youtube is turning up a lot of terrible poo poo.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

There's a Paradox megacampaign starring Byzantium by Rincewind that is shaping up to be pretty great. These campaigns live and die by the writing, and Rincewind is doing a bang-up job with alternate history, diverging from the time of the Alexiad.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Is there a good learning LP for Darkest Hour like there are for CK2 and Victoria?

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Does anyone have any knowledge of a Let's Play showing off Ultima Online that isn't insufferable? Youtube is turning up a lot of terrible poo poo.

Personally I like Izzy's videos since he is generally really enthusiastic about what he's doing, and shows off a lot of the different locations. It's mostly combat, so the even larger chunk of UO (ie crafting, housing etc) isn't shown and he uses a setup that isn't great for the UO of today so theres a fair amount of deaths but it's still a pretty chill look at the game IMO.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

8 Ball posted:

Personally I like Izzy's videos since he is generally really enthusiastic about what he's doing, and shows off a lot of the different locations. It's mostly combat, so the even larger chunk of UO (ie crafting, housing etc) isn't shown and he uses a setup that isn't great for the UO of today so theres a fair amount of deaths but it's still a pretty chill look at the game IMO.

This is perfect, thanks!

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

What's the most watchable VLP of La Mulana?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Are there any good LPs of Majesty 1 or 2?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

BKPR posted:

I can tell you that the stream voiceofdog did is watchable, though I dunno if he ended up actually finishing the whole game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I can tell you that the stream voiceofdog did is watchable, though I dunno if he ended up actually finishing the whole game.

Me and him did the final 2 hours of the game but twitch ate the videos forever

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

KittyEmpress posted:

Are there any good LPs of Majesty 1 or 2?

Me and a crew are working on Majesty 1 + Northern Expansion in the background. Hoping to have it ready to go before too terribly much longer but with how hard some of the final missions can be it's hard to tell.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

BKPR posted:

Pretty much the best answer to your question: http://lparchive.org/La-Mulana/

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
That's the problem, not the answer.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Lance Streetman posted:

That's the problem, not the answer.
That's a pretty good recommendation, dawg. Keep up the good work!

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Alright, here's my rec: It's a bad LP. Not a "was good in 2007," LP, just kinda bad in general. Don't watch it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
From what I remember, Deceased Crab's La Mulana LP wasn't bad, and it was before the big drama blowup thing.

I didn't watch all of it, because I planned on playing through it one day (which I'm doing right now, thanks to the La Mulana 2 Kickstarter!. This game's hard.)

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Volt Catfish posted:

Me and him did the final 2 hours of the game but twitch ate the videos forever

We have unearthed the lost videos, and they will presumably be up within a few days.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Lance Streetman posted:

Alright, here's my rec: It's a bad LP. Not a "was good in 2007," LP, just kinda bad in general. Don't watch it.

Gonna second this. I enjoyed DC's LP of Knytt, Knytt stories and Cave Story but this was just relentlessly uninteresting.

DecayDOA
Jun 3, 2013

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Speedball is doing a narrative SSLP of Civilization V with a Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker mod, and it is glorious. He's doing a great job showing off a legitimately interesting mod civilization, and his writing and plot so far is just maximum Kojima.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is there a good Volgarr the Viking LP anywhere? I've heard good things about it but I'm rear end at platformers (and I hear it's difficult) so I'm not inclined to play it myself.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

AnonSpore posted:

Is there a good Volgarr the Viking LP anywhere? I've heard good things about it but I'm rear end at platformers (and I hear it's difficult) so I'm not inclined to play it myself.

I haven't seen one on SA yet. It takes a lot of practice to show off everything the game's got.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
It is hard, however everything follows a set pattern; it's designed to be speedrun. So you could just play it enough times to memorise everything that happens (or, at least, how every type of enemy behaves).

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

It's not on the site and you need to pay, but Giantbomb (https://www.giantbomb.com) has done a great Volgarr the Viking run with Brad. It's Premium though so if you're coming here to you'd probably already know of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Eulisker posted:

I'm starting to watch voidburgers shattered memories LP. Do i miss anything substantial if I skip the blind run?
Late reply, but I will also confirm that you're really not missing anything if you skip the BlindRun. I kinda just included it because I felt I had to, since it was already recorded, I wasted all the guests' time on it, etc. But it's really a technical mess as well as being a pretty subpar blindrun, in my opinion. I haven't even backed it up on Youtube and won't be sad if it gets consumed by Blip, whenever they decide to randomly ice my account! v:shobon:v I doubt anyone'll miss it, haha.

• Locked thread