Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pickled Foetus posted:

As the creator of Morrowind Comes Alive I feel I must apologise for this. The fact that I was the first person to put crudely animated sexual intercourse into a Bethesda RPG fills me with a deep sense of self-loathing. It really does.

How does it feel to have spawned more than dozens of offshoots across five games

also you're a monster why did you do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
Okay, so I've got a question about MGE XE shaders. Is there a static DoF shader? Like, one that kicks in X distance from the player without changing based on where you're looking? Because I really just want DoF effects to help obfuscate how close together everything actually is without just hiding it in the fog.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Agents are GO! posted:

Yes, and unfortunately not that I've found, respectively.

Got a link for the beast race equipment?

Anyways, I've grabbed Melian's Teleport Mod as a kind of substitute for fast travel. It says "To use the basic teleporting functions, just use same spells/items you normally would". As a brand-new Morrowind player, that's not very helpful. I poked around Balmora and didn't spot any teleport spells available.

In case it's not something readily accessible to a newcomer, I might have to try console codes. I attempted to punch one in for extra gold for practice, but when I input the command and hit Enter, nothing happened. "additem gold_001 500" was what I tried. Am I doing it incorrectly?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mizuti posted:

Anyways, I've grabbed Melian's Teleport Mod as a kind of substitute for fast travel. It says "To use the basic teleporting functions, just use same spells/items you normally would". As a brand-new Morrowind player, that's not very helpful. I poked around Balmora and didn't spot any teleport spells available.

In case it's not something readily accessible to a newcomer, I might have to try console codes. I attempted to punch one in for extra gold for practice, but when I input the command and hit Enter, nothing happened. "additem gold_001 500" was what I tried. Am I doing it incorrectly?

player.additem, not just add item. additem is a function of an object. Also additem seems to work inconsistently depending on your mix of mods. In my current install of Morrowind, I'm not actually able to give myself any items through the console at all.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Pickled Foetus posted:

As the creator of Morrowind Comes Alive I feel I must apologise for this. The fact that I was the first person to put crudely animated sexual intercourse into a Bethesda RPG fills me with a deep sense of self-loathing. It really does.

You were a pioneer in the art of video game sex. I salute you :3:

Nah, but seriously MCA was never a mod I thought of as a 'sex mod', it was just sort of there. On top of a lot of other great features. Plus, you seem to have removed it, or at least the worst bits, and made it better. So there's that!

quote:

player.additem, not just add item. additem is a function of an object. Also additem seems to work inconsistently depending on your mix of mods. In my current install of Morrowind, I'm not actually able to give myself any items through the console at all.
It's actually player->additem "gold_001" 500 . It changed in all later games to player. , but in Morrowind it's an arrow.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Mizuti posted:

They're Mark and Recall. You also have scrolls of Almsivi's Intervention and Divine Intervention which sends you to shrines and temples, and there's propylon chambers with fixed teleport spots as well though there's an item hunt involved in that.

Morrowind has plenty of fast travel options, it's just a bit more restricted than the later games but that adds to the fun of it!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sky Shadowing posted:

You were a pioneer in the art of video game sex. I salute you :3:

Nah, but seriously MCA was never a mod I thought of as a 'sex mod', it was just sort of there. On top of a lot of other great features. Plus, you seem to have removed it, or at least the worst bits, and made it better. So there's that!

It's actually player->additem "gold_001" 500 . It changed in all later games to player. , but in Morrowind it's an arrow.

No wonder :facepalm:

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
So I just picked up Morrowind for the first time after years as a vet of Oblivion and Skyrim. A few questions since I know Morrowind is the most hardcore RPG of the 3:

1. I want to be a basic combat based dude, is there any significant difference or advantage/disadvantage between medium and heavy armor? (Or, if not, which looks the coolest)

2. I kind of want to use spears, but not if they suck. Is there one weapon class I should go for above the others?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Cometa Rossa posted:

So I just picked up Morrowind for the first time after years as a vet of Oblivion and Skyrim. A few questions since I know Morrowind is the most hardcore RPG of the 3:

1. I want to be a basic combat based dude, is there any significant difference or advantage/disadvantage between medium and heavy armor? (Or, if not, which looks the coolest)

2. I kind of want to use spears, but not if they suck. Is there one weapon class I should go for above the others?

1. Aside from looks and slightly reduced weight, Medium armor sucks bigtime, go for Heavy instead. Alternatively you could also use Light armor and still get a decent armor rating, but Light trains Agility and is mostly intended for stealth and mage characters, and most of the sets are ugly as sin. Heavy's biggest advantage is that it has high durability, high armor rating per piece, high enchant value, and it raises Endurance. The biggest downside of Heavy armor is it's really heavy and will most likely take up most of your weight limit and slow your character down. Increasing Speed, Strength, and Athletics should offset this.

EDIT: Okay, I was wrong. Heavy armour sucks until you're at endgame, Medium is better from an early game standpoint. Alot of the Medium sets are pretty cool looking too. Don't bother with light unless you plan on being a thief or mage. It's been a while since I've played this game. :v:

2. Spears are okay but are best used to raise Endurance. Primary weapon should be Long Blade since some of the best unique weapons are Long Blades.

You want to max Endurance as soon as possible, as raising it adds more HP per level, but it's not retroactive. You'll get less HP if you maxed endurance out at level 20 rather than at level 5, for example. Above all, just enjoy the game and don't get too frustrated at the clunky diceroll based combat.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 12, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Medium armor is fine. Bonemold is good, very common and far better than common heavy armor is, Orcish is easy to come by as well and is very good, and the best chestplate in the game is medium. If you're a new character, I'd recommend medium over anything else, to be honest.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm also about to play for the first time in years. I'm leaning on an Altmer sorcerer but ... man. Using medium or heavy armor with the Altmer's low strength levels doesn't look attractive.

Edit: ^^^ Hmm. Maybe I *will* do this, then.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

If you are new and want to play any kind of mage character be aware that magicka doesn't naturally regen in this game. There are a few ways you can get around it, but honestly I would recommend just getting a basic magicka regen mod.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Omi-Polari posted:

I'm also about to play for the first time in years. I'm leaning on an Altmer sorcerer but ... man. Using medium or heavy armor with the Altmer's low strength levels doesn't look attractive.

Edit: ^^^ Hmm. Maybe I *will* do this, then.

If you're gonna be a sorcerer, I'd recommend Breton. Altmer has way too many drawbacks in this game and other mages will absolutely wreck your poo poo early on.

And yes I recommend the hell out of medium, people who hate on it only look at it from a very late-game perspective. Early to mid game, medium armor is leaps and bounds better than light or heavy. By the time you can get heavy armor that's better than orcish, you can generally just raid a Daedric ruin, sell the loot and buy a bunch of heavy armor training anyway.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 12, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cannot Find Server posted:

If you're gonna be a sorcerer, I'd recommend Breton. Altmer has way too many drawbacks in this game and other mages will absolutely wreck your poo poo early on.
I've heard about that: they basically can't take a magic missile to save their life. But expand on this? How else do Altmer suck?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Omi-Polari posted:

I've heard about that: they basically can't take a magic missile to save their life. But expand on this? How else do they suck?

They have a weakness to every element in addition to a blanket 50% weakness to magic in general. The Atronach sign can kinda help since it absorbs magic, and by later in the game, Altmer are absolutely ridiculous and broken, but early on they just get destroyed by any other mages. Altmer is definitely a race I'd only recommend to somewhat experience players who already know their way around as a mage. Breton is a lot better for inexperienced players and have virtually no drawbacks like Altmer do, at the expense of a smaller (but still large) magic pool.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I think medium armor is lacking at the end of the game. Light is good if you want to be a fast, acrobatic skirmisher dude. Heavy is good of you wanna tank everything. I think glass armor is slick as heck looking, but daedric armor is pretty gnarly too.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

People forget about Indoril/Ordinator armor. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Indoril_Armor#Indoril_Armor
...Just remember to take it off before teleporting into Vivec.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

tuluk posted:

People forget about Indoril/Ordinator armor. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Indoril_Armor#Indoril_Armor

If I'm remembering correctly its only the helm/cuirass that trigger ordinator bounties.

Also the ebony mail is the best armor ever (the artifact, not the set).

Plus if you're cheap you can use Her Hand armor you get in Tribunal.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

tuluk posted:

Indoril is great, but I can't recall any places where you'd get a set early on easily. There are full bonemold sets all over the place, which is why I recommend it for new players. It's by far the best armor that's really easy to get for people who haven't played for way too long and know where to find all the best stuff off the top of their head.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

There is a dead ordinator outside Kogoruhn wearing a complete Indoril set.

Not the sort of thing a new player is likely to happen across of course.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

kaschei posted:

There is a dead ordinator outside Kogoruhn wearing a complete Indoril set.

Not the sort of thing a new player is likely to happen across of course.

Kogoruhn also has a full set of glass armor IIRC, so if you're gonna go crazy and go there at the start, might as well just pick that up instead.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The glass armor is just cuirass and shield and you have to go inside which can be scary.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
There's a full set at Ghostgate, which if you know how to sneak isn't too hard to pinch.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
There's a few pieces of Indoril armor inside a Sixth House cave in the Bitter Coast not too far from Seyda Neen. It was actually a cool little raid on the playthrough that I stumbled upon it, since you have to be careful of all the bad stuff that can be dangerous to a low level guy.

Edit: All the hand-placed stuff and resultant sharing stories around the metaphorical camp fire is one of the reason why Morrowind is the best TES game. :allears:

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 12, 2014

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
You can also get an Indoril helm and cuirass through a fairly straightforward quest in Vivec if you ask about latest rumors.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Gobblecoque posted:

Edit: All the hand-placed stuff and resultant sharing stories around the metaphorical camp fire is one of the reason why Morrowind is the best TES game. :allears:

The amount of love put into every single location is amazing and awesome and did so much to add atmosphere and worldbuilding to a game that had bad core mechanics, no physics engine to speak of and just the worst drat combat. Morrowind is probably the best example of a deeply flawed game that nevertheless is completely brilliant.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If you have Tribunal (and you do, who doesn't have the GOTY version nowadays?) you can farm the assassins at the beginning to get a good armor set with plenty of duplicates you can sell for mad cash. For bonus loot, try to dispatch them before they throw their ebony dart.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Pickled Foetus posted:

You need only release a version that doesn't require another (cosmetic) mod, and all is forgiven :)

(I prefer vanilla head and body meshes and textures :( )

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The first time I got properly sucked into a Morrowind playthrough and got to the point where I was familiar with all the game's systems I found a full set of Indoril really early on just from blundering into the barracks in the Hall of Justice in Vivec.

e. From UESP:

quote:

* Wearing either the Cuirass or the Helmet will cause Ordinators to mark you as a criminal and attack you if you talk to them. This includes those who talk to you if they are trying to arrest you. Once you have been thus marked, every Ordinator you see from then on will try to kill you.
:stonk: Is that permanent?!

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

quote:

:stonk: Is that permanent?!

Yes.
You may be able to remove that KILL flag via the console, but I have no idea how.

Thats why my post about Ordinator armor said "take it off before you visit Vivec"

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 12, 2014

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Nerevarine wears Ordinator Armor

So that, once you're the recognized Nerevarine and get Vivec's blessing and grudging acceptance of the Temple or whatever the Ordinators won't try to kill you anymore since that's dumb.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

In other news OpenMW seems like it's going to be in a playable state soon:

quote:

And preparations for the 0.28.0 are on! It will be realesed this month and it will be the biggest OpenMW version ever. It will include spellcasting, combat AI and other long awaited features. You will be impressed.
Emphasis theirs, but it seems like it's actually in a vaguely playable state now.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Come on you could have at least added the unfunny meme someone farted out for this occasion.

quote:

We have new magic effects. Those are related to the AI: calm, frenzy, rally, turn undead, demoralize as well as those related to attributes (damage, drain, restore) as well as paralyze, water walking, desintegrate, mark, recall, interventions. WOW. Because It was a while since the last internet mem on the OpenMW, here is the one:

It was a while since the last internet mem on the OpenMW.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Maybe late to the party but I just found out that Qarl died of liver disease in June :( Haven't spoken to him in a while, and his mods weren't necessarily my thing, but I still remember being there when The Underground was taking form - a mad, off-the-wall and ambitious as hell creation by a mind at least as ambitious, weird and buggy as it was. However fond of dedicating his time to creating video game fetish gear he was, he was a great, friendly guy who helped me out a lot, and I'm sorry to have lost touch with him. rip

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

drat, that sucks. His texture pack made oblivion looks so much better. :(

Pickled Foetus
Jan 20, 2009

Kilroy posted:

You need only release a version that doesn't require another (cosmetic) mod, and all is forgiven :)

(I prefer vanilla head and body meshes and textures :( )

Then you will be happy to know that this is currently being worked on. :) The trouble is I got New Vegas for Christmas and I'm hopelessly addicted, so it could be a while away.

Btw if anyone is interested in a new landmass/faction mod, I released this back in December: http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42933

A ridiculous amount of hours went into this, but I'm really pleased with the result. It's (mostly) lore-friendly, TR compatible, with a poo poo ton of dialogue and backstory, and the main questline will take you between six and eight hours to complete. The faction is a knightly order but you can play through it as a good or evil character.

So play it.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pickled Foetus posted:

Btw if anyone is interested in a new landmass/faction mod, I released this back in December: http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42933
Awesome. Thanks for your hard work! I just got set up with the graphics extender so I'll add it in. Is it intended for high-level characters?

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
Man, that MGSO installer is pretty much the easiest thing ever. I remember trying to install it manually ages ago and failing miserably.

I have one complaint, though. I installed the "high graphic" version, and it seriously took me like an hour to find the dead tax man in Seyda Neen because he was completely buried under all of the grass and brush. I had to resort to the UESP map and everything, and still had to run around clicking the ground randomly.

Are there any other spots / quests in the game that I should look out for that will be effected in such an obnoxious way?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There's Tsiya's skooma pipe, the "lost ring" in the pond, as well as some cool items hidden here and there in the wilderness that might become a lot harder to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
Aw, man. That ring was hard enough to find in vanilla as it was.

I guess it's only fair considering how laughably overpowered the "reward" is.

Totally worth it. Now I just wish I could remember who sells torches because god drat.