Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Suddenly having him punked with hit to the head and being even more useless than the guardians is pretty jarring and dissapointing.

Suddenly getting punked with a hit to the head is kind of Hal's deal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dlanod/sets/72157594208628528/

This one's my favorite:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I mean, we're discussing a character who is by his own admission dumber than a guacamole.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah if Warren Ellis got his hands on him it could be amazing, but he is a cape

Warren Ellis still writes superhero comics, he had an Avengers graphic novel, and is currently co-writing Avengers Assemble with DeConnick. I don't he's going to write Cyborg anytime soon, but that has more to do with DC being a horrible company that likes to alienate their best people, than anything to do with the character of Cyborg.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think bobkatt was thinking of Ennis

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ennis isn't exactly known for his cyberpunk writing. If anything, he'd make cyborg get rid of all his computer poo poo because that garbage is for NERDS and real men use guts, knives and guns from the 1970s and nothing else.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Has William Gibson ever written a comicbook? Get on it DC.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Lurdiak posted:

Ennis isn't exactly known for his cyberpunk writing. If anything, he'd make cyborg get rid of all his computer poo poo because that garbage is for NERDS and real men use guts, knives and guns from the 1970s and nothing else.

Holy poo poo, do I want to see blaxploitation Cyborg now. Platform shoes, big-rear end moustache, and all pointing his sonic arm-gun as some fine lady hugs his leg. Right on!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Opopanax posted:

I think bobkatt was thinking of Ennis

I thought Ellis has said poo poo about superheroes before as he did things like Ruins.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought Ellis has said poo poo about superheroes before as he did things like Ruins.

Ellis keeps saying he hates superheroes and only writes them because he's a high class whore for money, while other writers love Spider-man's cock. It feels kinda like he just says that to maintain some kind of outsider cred, though, because he certainly puts in a lot of sincere work in his high class hookerism.

E: His words (paraphrased) not mine, so no one thinks I'd use the phrase "loves Spider-man's cock" to describe writers.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 11, 2014

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

bobkatt013 posted:

Not saying Ellis is the most enthusiastic superhero writer, but c'mon, Ruins was almost 20 years ago.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Madkal posted:

Has William Gibson ever written a comicbook? Get on it DC.
That's really funny. The most recent book of his I read stars a woman who, let's see how wikipedia describes it, "a 32-year-old marketing consultant who has a psychological sensitivity to corporate symbols."

Besides I don't think Gibson's writing would really work for an audience that craves Johnsian literalism.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

Besides I don't think Gibson's writing would really work for an audience that craves Johnsian literalism.

What makes you think this audience "craves" Johnsian literalism? That's like saying prisoners crave gruel.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

bobkatt013 posted:

The whole Green Arrow/Green Lantern run is all about how wrong Hal is most of the time. Also that time he killed a poo poo load of Lanterns.
You take that back, it was a yellow space parasite :qq:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Spiderdrake posted:

That's really funny. The most recent book of his I read stars a woman who, let's see how wikipedia describes it, "a 32-year-old marketing consultant who has a psychological sensitivity to corporate symbols."

Hey, I like Pattern Recognition. It's what cyberpunk would have been if they got the tech and megacorps right, but kept the general insanity. Robo-vagina knuckledusters for everyone!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Elfface posted:

Hey, I like Pattern Recognition. It's what cyberpunk would have been if they got the tech and megacorps right, but kept the general insanity. Robo-vagina knuckledusters for everyone!
It's a wonderful book. Very real and yet dreamlike, very different read after finishing his middle trilogy. Though I don't remember it being very cyberpunk like that? I just found the connection between 'Gibson should write Cyborg' and the fact he wrote a book about a character who would probably be unable to read a DC comic for violent allergic reaction just made me chuckle.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Spiderdrake posted:

It's a wonderful book. Very real and yet dreamlike, very different read after finishing his middle trilogy. Though I don't remember it being very cyberpunk like that? I just found the connection between 'Gibson should write Cyborg' and the fact he wrote a book about a character who would probably be unable to read a DC comic for violent allergic reaction just made me chuckle.

Yeah, his most recent books aren't really cyberpunk, and the advanced technologies in them aren't particularly advanced. He said something to the effect that he couldn't write science fiction anymore, because the future comes too quickly now.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I can't believe this hasn't been posted before, but... Larry Hama's run on Generation X, 33-47.

Released in '94, Generation X was a breath of fresh air. For the past few years the X-titles had really started to suck, with X-Force pissing on the corpse of New Mutants, X-Men dominated by two-page 'splash' fight scenes, and the while industry lining up to suck Liefeld's two-inch dick. Cable's pouches and manboobs appeared on every other page, leading the teams into one stupid fight after another.

As sort of a compromise to Liefeld's 'singer/songwriter' approach, GenX was created by the writer and artist working together, in this case Scott Lobdell and Chris Bachalo. Featuring some new characters and some old favorites, it had just the right balance of 'action' and character development. L+B ran it for three awesome years, interrupted by Age of Apocalypse, before stepping down in '97 (why? I dunno).

After blackmailing Bob Harras with a picture of him with an underage bellhop in Tijuana, Hama took over in #33. It started out innocently, the team going to dinner at a local diner after Emma burns the tuna casserole (?) Angelo regales the team with "Ten reasons a dog is better than a woman," ignoring the fact that all the women are two feet away... except for Penance and the 8 year old twins, whom they left behind in the infirmary (??) There, they are harassed by moronic townies before being rescued by Chief Authier, the down-to-earth police chief who states firmly, "This is MY town!" But they forgot to turn on the mansion's alarms, so they get robbed by moronic burglars who steal Jubilee's diary (???) and Angelo's gun (????) The chief's daughter somehow gets the goods and blackmails them into letting her join the school (??????)

In the next few issues, things go from bad to loving weird. Emplate attacks, and fuses with Penance to form "M-plate". He kidnaps Everett, and takes him to an other-dimensional Deus Ex Machina, hoping to use Synch's powers to destroy all life in the universe (WTF?) Jubilee and Sean are joined by 'the token', which, after a pointless stop at Landau, Luckman and Lake, they use as fare to board an interdimensional coal-fired train, aided by 'Dirt-Nap', a talking rat with a yellow smiley face on his butt. Honestly, I'm not making this poo poo up. They rescue Everett, who upon returning to Earth is beat half to death by the townies for no reason at all.

At the end of L+B's run, we found out that the girl known as Monet was the fusion of two 8 year old twins, one of whom was autistic. In the next issue, Hama 'reveals' that Emplate had used a magic spell (?) to imprison Monet in the body of Penance. Upon discovering this, the twins had merged to form a fake Monet, because... wait for it... so their father wouldn't be upset. Uh, hello? Wouldn't he be just a leeeeetle bit concerned that his 8 year old daughters are missing? The 'real' Monet frees herself from the Penance shell, but for *reasons*, the twins must now inhabit it.

And then, the fact that Monet is a completely new person IS NEVER MENTIONED AGAIN, at least not during Hama's diarrheal run. In the issue after that, they watch horror films, after which Jubilee falls asleep and has nightmares. Half a dozen or so one-off issues follow, all using the same formula. A lame setup and inane chatter for the first half of the book, then some threat comes out of nowhere. Everyone uses their powers exactly once, they high-five, more stupid chatter and things are back where they were. Fun game; open any Hama title and count the number of times someone is interrupted with their last word being "and-". It happens at least once per issue.

It didn't help that the art mostly sucked. The excellent husband-and-wife team of Terry and Rachael Dodson did several good issues, but most were done by a succession of talentless 'guest artists'. In particular, #41 was pencilled by "Cabin Boy", which sounds like a "gently caress this, I don't want my name attached to this poo poo" name.

Fortunately, Jay Faerber came and turned GenX back around in #48, followed by Warren Ellis later. But, the series never really got it's readership back, and it was abruptly cancelled at #75.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I thought Dirt Nap had been created originally for that AWFUL Venom/Wolverine mini series where Venom is a skateboarder.

Surprise! Both written by Hama.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
I think/assume Lobdell stepped down because of workload or something since he left in the middle of the Operation: Zero Tolerance storyline leaving James Robinson to spend the next three issues finishing it up with Bachalo (whose art at that point had become really generically manga influenced with big eyes and everyone drawn in a vaguely SD style). A lot of Generation X was made up on the fly too with no real roadmap of where they wanted to go but Lobdell and Bachalo worked well enough together that it at least remained fun and enjoyable. It was also its own brand of weird and madcap and I think what Hama was trying to do was keep the general tone going... it's just that he was loving awful at it.

How were Cable, X-Man, and Excalibur during the late '90s pre-Counter-X? Faerber and JFM were doing well (maybe not spectacular but perfectly readable and enjoyable stuff) on Generation X and X-Force before Ellis and his co-writers came in to boost sales. I know around the same time the main books had the aborted Seagle/Kelly runs, Alan Davis, and then Claremont's lovely return.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gynovore posted:

I can't believe this hasn't been posted before, but... Larry Hama's run on Generation X, 33-47.

Oh Christ I thought I wiped that whole run out of my memory. It still has some of my favorite all-time dumb moves like Synch answering the front door of the mansion in his costume and Hama trying to crowbar his LL&L stuff from Wolverine into the comic.

What was Hama's deal with that, anyway? I feel like Landau Luckman and Lake was being put in every Marvel line to some degree in the 90's, unless I'm mis-remembering.

e: Was Hama responsible for Mondo being a traitor or whatever he was, or was that Lobdell?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I know it was a big part of Kelly's run on Deadpool with two characters from it (Zoe Culloden and Montgomery) being fairly important supporting characters. I don't think either of them has shown up in a comic since Kelly's run though.

Edit: Mondo being a traitor was Lobdell close to the end of his run. Faerber then did a story like 30 issues later where Mondo returned and it was revealed that the one that Generation X knew was a plant-based clone created by Black Tom while the real Mondo had been living under the care of Black Tom the whole time and was thus a villain.

Suben fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 12, 2014

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh Christ I thought I wiped that whole run out of my memory. It still has some of my favorite all-time dumb moves like Synch answering the front door of the mansion in his costume and Hama trying to crowbar his LL&L stuff from Wolverine into the comic.

What was Hama's deal with that, anyway? I feel like Landau Luckman and Lake was being put in every Marvel line to some degree in the 90's, unless I'm mis-remembering.

Close to it. And, there was no reason at all for it to have been put in that issue of GenX. They arrived, found the place trashed by Wolverine, said "gee, no one's here" and left.

Evil Mastermind posted:

e: Was Hama responsible for Mondo being a traitor or whatever he was, or was that Lobdell?

Lobdell had the first Mondo turn out to be a traitor and really be a clone. Bastion killed him. Later, Faerber had the real Mondo showed up... also a traitor.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Suben posted:

I know it was a big part of Kelly's run on Deadpool with two characters from it (Zoe Culloden and Montgomery) being fairly important supporting characters. I don't think either of them has shown up in a comic since Kelly's run though.

I do remember that arc; it was really the first time we got to see Wade's "I really want to be the hero" side in a big way. Which was then forgotten for years of course.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Suben posted:

They were at Deadpool's funeral during Tieri's run.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gynovore posted:

Nobody mentioned it because:

Evil Mastermind posted:

I wiped that whole run out of my memory.

Generation X was fun if a little all over the place during the Lobdell/Bachalo years, but man did things go to poo poo after they left. I had managed to forget that terrible Monet/Penance storyline which made no sense at the time or after the fact, and still makes no sense to this day. It was just awful.

Also I hated how Skin started off as a guy who hated his freakish appearance - grey skin hanging in drooping flaps all over his skinny body - to some muscular handsome dude whose skin was still grey but now smooth and taut. The only nod to his original condition was that he could stretch out his fingers really long and use them like Spider-Man's webs.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Has their ever been a mutant who had a hideous deformity and never had the poor mes? He just accepted how he or she looked and did not give a gently caress how anyone else thought of them?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

bobkatt013 posted:

Has their ever been a mutant who had a hideous deformity and never had the poor mes? He just accepted how he or she looked and did not give a gently caress how anyone else thought of them?

His name is Rockslide and he is the best.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Any that did were probably villains.

e: or Rockslide

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gavok posted:

His name is Rockslide and he is the best.

Next you will tell me that you could set him on fire and have him run at enemies.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Skin was pretty cool and I wish he was still around. :(

He never really came off as "oh woe is me" about his appearance so much as he was already a kind of cynical dude so it was just one more lovely thing thrown on him. It always came off as less "oh woe is me" and more resignation that yep, this is how things were whether he liked it or not.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Genesis (a.k.a Kid Apocalypse) is pretty cool with his appearance despite looking like Apocalypse, what with the chalk white skin and blue lips. Not sure if that quite counts.

Also for what it's worth, I'm pretty sure Hank McCoy's been pretty over his appearance as a blue furry man-thing for a while now.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

TwoPair posted:

Genesis (a.k.a Kid Apocalypse) is pretty cool with his appearance despite looking like Apocalypse, what with the chalk white skin and blue lips. Not sure if that quite counts.

Wait, is he still Cable's Bastard Son From The Future, or is this just a similar character with the same name?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

404GoonNotFound posted:

Wait, is he still Cable's Bastard Son From The Future, or is this just a similar character with the same name?

Entirely different character, just took the codename. If you've read Remender's Uncanny X-Force, it's just Evan from that series with a new codename. If you haven't read Remender's Uncanny X-Force... you should do that.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 13, 2014

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
They have been better at including upbeat, heroic mutants who aren't supermodels with magic powers, but Rockslide et al are still fairly high up on the 'acceptably different' scale. Whereas Toad and other uglies just get poo poo on.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bobkatt013 posted:

Next you will tell me that you could set him on fire and have him run at enemies.

Nah, they had Gambit turn him into a walking bomb instead.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Suben posted:

Skin was pretty cool and I wish he was still around. :(

He never really came off as "oh woe is me" about his appearance so much as he was already a kind of cynical dude so it was just one more lovely thing thrown on him. It always came off as less "oh woe is me" and more resignation that yep, this is how things were whether he liked it or not.

Skin was awesome. He had been dealt a bad hand in many ways, but his attitude was "life is tough, man up and deal with it".

Then, of course, he's killed off-panel, and gets a one-page funeral where they get his name wrong.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gynovore posted:

Skin was awesome. He had been dealt a bad hand in many ways, but his attitude was "life is tough, man up and deal with it".

Then, of course, he's killed off-panel, and gets a one-page funeral where they get his name wrong.

You forgot Jubilee standing on his grave talking about how much she wished she had sex with him.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gynovore posted:

The two sentences seem kind of fitting. The guy was existentialist who got shat on, even in death.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

404GoonNotFound posted:

No, he's talking about Genesis from Uncanny X-Force and now at the Jean Grey School who is Apocalypse but a teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

While Nightcrawler has spent plenty of time being melancholy, there's also a huge amount of his past where he's running around being a happy go-lucky swashbuckling ladykiller.

• Locked thread