Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Knormal posted:

I think their Streetwise looks decent, but the I don't like the weird sci-fi bike they chose for Groove. I know they had to do something, since a motorcycle's just not bulky enough to make a good three-mode figure, but what they chose totally clashes with the rescue vehicle theme. I'd rather they just chose some other alt mode altogether. But at least you can't say it's blah I guess.

Yeah, I definitely don't get "rescue vehicle" out of that, although I suppose a white/black paint job and a red/blue lightbar can make just about anything a rescue vehicle. With Streetwise I'm mostly unimpressed by the very plain paint job. Tons of blank, dull white, and he lacks Streetwise's trademark black spoiler. At the very least, it looks like these guys are going to need serious Reprolabeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Blackheart posted:

Peaugh seems like a good guy and his reviews are generally informative, but yeah he could use more editing. Sometimes he's fantastically clumsy with the figure (he pops balljoints off like it's his job even when the toy isn't particularly loose). I think he even straight up broke a figure mid-review, Leader Brawl if I recall correctly. He just snapped the turret off from forcing the drat thing.

But he's generally serious, and gets lots of reviews up. And thankfully doesn't have a goddamn gimmick (like reviewing using a puppet, I mean what the gently caress). For some reason I can't stand Optibotimus for too long.

What the loving christ, Optibotimus reviewed a toy with a loving puppet?

That dude is loving off. Everybody I know who has met him loving hates his guts, and just listening to his voice, you can tell the dude ain't right in the head. He almost speaks in like... baby talk. Like he's talking to a dog or something.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

Everybody I know who has met him loving hates his guts...

Any particular reason given?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Optibotimus networks about as subtly as a brick through a window.

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.

Gammatron 64 posted:

What the loving christ, Optibotimus reviewed a toy with a loving puppet?

That dude is loving off. Everybody I know who has met him loving hates his guts, and just listening to his voice, you can tell the dude ain't right in the head. He almost speaks in like... baby talk. Like he's talking to a dog or something.

https://www.youtube.com/user/felzbug Pretty sure he's talking about this guy. I buy Optibotimus being an rear end in a top hat since the top comment on a lot of his videos is him being a huge bitch to someone.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Why would you review a toy wearing gardening gloves.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Knormal posted:

I think their Streetwise looks decent, but the I don't like the weird sci-fi bike they chose for Groove. I know they had to do something, since a motorcycle's just not bulky enough to make a good three-mode figure, but what they chose totally clashes with the rescue vehicle theme. I'd rather they just chose some other alt mode altogether. But at least you can't say it's blah I guess.

It's a Tomahawk.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Keldroc posted:

Yeah, I definitely don't get "rescue vehicle" out of that, although I suppose a white/black paint job and a red/blue lightbar can make just about anything a rescue vehicle. With Streetwise I'm mostly unimpressed by the very plain paint job. Tons of blank, dull white, and he lacks Streetwise's trademark black spoiler. At the very least, it looks like these guys are going to need serious Reprolabeling.

Wow you are not kidding. I think I like the robot mode, but from a distance that alt mode looks like the latest Legends-class Prowl. Also that leg mode looks awfully...empty. Hopefully it attaches to some other leg portion for thickness?

I kind of soured on not-Superion three figures in, so I'll definitely wait and see with this. I'm probably going to sell them soon, along with a few other bots.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

SpazmasterX posted:

It's a Tomahawk.

TFC is good at picking real life alt modes that most people mistake for fictional vehicles.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I kind of wish BBTS would get off their rear end and ship the Goldfire/Waspinator wave of deluxes. The reason I preordered the wave was because I was confident I wouldn't see the entire wave at retail, and just last night I saw Skids and Dreadwing at target and had to leave them on the pegs because I'm gambling that I won't see the other two somewhere else.

[/FirstWorldProblems]

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Xenomrph posted:

I kind of wish BBTS would get off their rear end and ship the Goldfire/Waspinator wave of deluxes. The reason I preordered the wave was because I was confident I wouldn't see the entire wave at retail, and just last night I saw Skids and Dreadwing at target and had to leave them on the pegs because I'm gambling that I won't see the other two somewhere else.

[/FirstWorldProblems]

I found them the other day at Toysrus and bought like the entire wave, they probably had like 3 full cases on the pegs. I was debating about Goldfire but figured since Generations is probably going to continue past the movie there's going to probably be other deluxe throttle bots. I still haven't seen Rhinox and Double Dealer and Swerve and Cosmos out in the stores though.

That being said the comics they came with were certainly much better than the first IDW wave.

Although I hate the comics because they're showing us toys that we'll never get(i.e. a real Generations Ultra Magnus and Thunderclash). Is Rung supposed to transform into one of the horn spikes of unicron though?

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 12, 2014

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

So, is there any word On when the Swerve/Cosmos wave is supposed to be coming out? BBTS doesn't even have them available for pre-order.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
E: curses, foiled again

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Peter Bazooka posted:

https://www.youtube.com/user/felzbug Pretty sure he's talking about this guy. I buy Optibotimus being an rear end in a top hat since the top comment on a lot of his videos is him being a huge bitch to someone.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH what the loving gently caress?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0J4raxEVYk

This guy sounds just like the old guy on Family Guy who loves molesting children.

"HAAAAA THERE Y'ALL CHILDRIN', I'M FELZBUG, AND I'MA GONNA TOUCH YOUR PEE PEE IF YA DON'T MIND!"

:stonk:

Also yeah, long story short Optibotimus is just a huge dick to people.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Gammatron 64 posted:

This guy sounds just like the old guy on Family Guy who loves molesting children.

"HAAAAA THERE Y'ALL CHILDRIN', I'M FELZBUG, AND I'MA GONNA TOUCH YOUR PEE PEE IF YA DON'T MIND!"

He's also a furry.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

He's also a furry.

Hey 2002 what's up

Wow, this is actually unwatchable.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Rei_ posted:

Hey 2002 what's up

Wow, this is actually unwatchable.

Yeah it's pretty bad. What's even worse is that he apparently writes transformer fanfiction about himself too from what I understand.

On another note though apparently they're going to be showing off actual AOE transformer toys and newer generations figures soon in the UK. I really hope they bother showing the Dinobots.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 12, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
My favorite Optibotimus MemoryTM was when he started stitching ads for Coca-Cola onto the front of his actual reviews, defeating adblockers - that is, until it came out that he never entered any partnership with Coca-Cola and they sent him a cease-and-desist notice.

It boggles the mind, it really does.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

You're sort of misrepresenting it - He made fan ads for Coca-cola, unsolicited, which were part of the video.

Also where's the thing about Coca-cola C&Ding him? That doesn't even make sense, but American law is pretty weird nowadays.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

My favourite Optibotimus story is him getting Cyclops for free, early from Kapow toys and spend the entire time complaining about how much he hated it and how he was going to send it back, implying he recieved it for free from MMC themselves. MMC replied 'Who is Optimusbot?' it basically came out that Kapow sent him an early copy of a toy they weren't supposed to, and he pissed it away because he couldn't stop talking about the toy.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 12, 2014

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Rei_ posted:

My favourite Optibotimus story is him getting Cyclops for free, early from Kapow toys and spend the entire time complaining about how much he hated it and how he was going to send it back, implying he recieved it for free from MMC themselves. MMC replied 'Who is Optimusbot?' it basically came out that Kapow sent him an early copy of a toy they weren't supposed to, and he pissed it away because he couldn't stop talking about the toy.

And then he just kept it and sold it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The new target listings are showing that the Deluxes are back up to 15 bucks each, Voyagers are going to be 25 bucks, and leader figures are going to be 45 bucks.

Here I thought everything was going to be cheaper because they were going to use simplified tooling.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I've never actually seen an Optibotimus review, but I read his twitter profile and he claimed to be a "TRANSFORMERS COMMUNITY SHOCK JOCK!!!!!!!!!!!" and I figured I wasn't missing much.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

Oh yeah sorry, I didn't mean to say optibotimus is the puppet guy, that's a different terrible reviewer and I worded it poorly. Optibotimus sucks for different, unrelated reasons.

Wow, I remember the coca cola "ads" and thinking "wow, this guy somehow got sponsored by cocacola?" I can't believe he did it completely on his own :doh:

About third party combiners: despite going for Giant instead of Herc, I still believe Hercules is a fantastic combiner. I love the initial approach for the arms (the rage set is nice, but feels unnecessary to me). The individual Uranos robots are pretty nice (silverbolt a little less so) but Uranus himself feels... off. The combiner head looks silly and there's just something about the whole package that made me decide to just pass on him.

Their Predaking looks very nice so far I have to say, except Razorclaw's robot mode is a bit strange, I don't know what it is. Also it shows what for me is TFC's greatest weakness: they can't seem to get their colors to look nice. What they've shown of Defensor so far is interesting but not enough to make me consider it. Never liked Defensor too much after all.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Blackheart posted:

About third party combiners: despite going for Giant instead of Herc, I still believe Hercules is a fantastic combiner. I love the initial approach for the arms (the rage set is nice, but feels unnecessary to me). The individual Uranos robots are pretty nice (silverbolt a little less so) but Uranus himself feels... off. The combiner head looks silly and there's just something about the whole package that made me decide to just pass on him.

The Wings of Uranos set does wonders for the look of the combined robot, but of course that's an extra $40 spent on a $500 robot. God knows how they'll intentionally mess up Defensor so they can sell the Flames of Prometheus add-on set.

quote:

Their Predaking looks very nice so far I have to say, except Razorclaw's robot mode is a bit strange, I don't know what it is. Also it shows what for me is TFC's greatest weakness: they can't seem to get their colors to look nice. What they've shown of Defensor so far is interesting but not enough to make me consider it. Never liked Defensor too much after all.

I like the TFC Predaking but not enough to switch off from MMC Feral Rex. As nice as TFC's is, Feral Rex is the Predaking of dreams.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Rei_ posted:

Hey 2002 what's up

Are furries cool now or something?

Rei_ posted:

I recently put Cyclops back into boat mode for the first time, and now that it's been a few years and Quakewave is out, I'm really regretting the purchase. He's pretty cool in both modes, but the transformation is such a bitch, and i defy anyone to switch it back and forth a few times without busting off a few tabs.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I broke a Cyclops so transforming one scares the hell out of me :(

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Knormal posted:

weird sci-fi bike they chose for Groove.

Actually that's a Dodge Tomahawk, which is my favorite bike ever. It's also hilariously unsafe and never went into proper production.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

No Your Other Left posted:

Actually that's a Dodge Tomahawk, which is my favorite bike ever. It's also hilariously unsafe and never went into proper production.
Making it absolutely perfect for rescue vehicle purposes.

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.

therealjon_ posted:

I broke a Cyclops so transforming one scares the hell out of me :(

I had one and I picked it up to put it in boat mode and the leg just fell off. MMC must have taken the criticism of Cyclops to heart because everything they've made since then has been really solid.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Was Optibotimus the dude who went into major debt buying prototype transformers for their massively inflated prices so he could be the first to review them?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'd heard that bike was a real-world concept bike, the point still stands, it's nothing like a police bike. Just make Groove another kind of police car or something. At this point they could make him an F1 racer and it'd make as much sense as a rescue vehicle.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That's one of the problems with combiners in general though, very few of them have a sensible theme to all four limbs and yet they have to stick very close to the original ideas forever and ever.

On that note, everyone should own BH Abominus. It is the best worst thing. Is there another combiner whose limbs look actively upset at being attached to him? They seethe with disappointment at their robo-life choices.

EthanSteele posted:

Was Optibotimus the dude who went into major debt buying prototype transformers for their massively inflated prices so he could be the first to review them?
No that's the guy that hugged a poster here and freaked him out. Can't remember his name. I just remember the hugging at botcon.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
All I know about that dude is that going by his reviews, he's got a supremely annoying, natural born rear end in a top hat voice, zero charisma, and hilariously ugly fat & hairy ham-hands/wrists. Hearing about all this other stuff is just the poo poo icing on the rancid cake.

In happier news, Smokescreen arrived yesterday and he's gorgeous. The paint job really pops delightfully. Now begins the long wait for Wheeljack...

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

EthanSteele posted:

That was Sean Long, who had a 11-minute long rambling breakdown on Youtube because his viewers wouldn't help him pay the rent after he spent all his money on toys.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

3 posted:

That was Sean Long, who had a 11-minute long rambling breakdown on Youtube because his viewers wouldn't help him pay the rent after he spent all his money on toys.

And then Internet Personality Vangelus responded with a brilliant parody.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Speaking of Vangelus and Cyclops, the pinnacle of Internet Toy Reviewing was when he tested Cyclops's ability to float on-camera and it was a total disaster.

Vangelus and Thew are the only good reviewers.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Knormal posted:

This owns.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
I've been googling and looking for any good write ups about rare/unreleased/japanese exclusive Animated figures,

What are some good sites for this? I've come up with diddly-squat so far (I have the Almanacs pages).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

TFWiki.net has the most encyclopedic info on that sort of thing I've ever seen, so unless you have a idiotic hate-on for David Willis and/or can't stand the idea of folks poking fun at what is ultimately a pretty silly media property, I'd suggest you go there.