Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

people, people
The bands I like are the good ones the other ones are overrated at best

Scott Ian thwarts me by having some pretty simple guitars

mr. Ian himself on the other hand...

and some random ones

they actually played those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Guitars with built in amps are all kinds of awful... I kind of want to own one though. Am I a bad person?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
Some of these have probably been posted before, but gently caress it! Time for some stupid production guitars!

Vox Teardrop

Teisco copy of a Vox Phantom

Yamaha SVG, I actually worked on one of these and it was pretty nice to play but it looks stupid.

Hallmark Sweptwing.

MusicVox Spacinator. Needs more lasers.

Lazer guitar. Pew pew pew.

Lace Cybercaster. Looks like it was made from an old TV.

Airline Bighorn, it's a reissue of a 60's guitar that no one wanted or asked for, 19 fret neck!

Millimétric Guitar and Bass.

Some stupid Burke aluminum-necked guitar, can't find a model name as I suspect someone attempted to erase them from history.

Davoli Scarabeo

Some type of 'Marauder' guitar.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I don't hate that Cybercaster am I broken

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Declan MacManus posted:

No, I don't mind the shape, I just hate the formica countertop they used on the top of the guitar.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Declan MacManus posted:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

White Dog Eggs posted:

Some of these have probably been posted before, but gently caress it! Time for some stupid production guitars!

Vox Teardrop

Dave Wakeling plays that. It's just as dumb-looking in person.

quote:

MusicVox Spacinator. Needs more lasers.

Lazer guitar. Pew pew pew.

Mm-hm.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

HollisBrown posted:

No, I don't mind the shape, I just hate the formica countertop they used on the top of the guitar.

It's actually a decent shape imo, it's just that weird veneer, it reminds me of my parents old TV.

:golfclap:

Anyway, here's a few I left off because imgur poo poo the bed.

Speedster Travel guitar. These actually aren't bad for the money (about £120 last time I checked), if you use them with a pignose amp you can make an awesome noise.

Burns Streamliner. This guitar actually looks retarded.

Wandre Rockbasso.

And finally, a Gibson Corvus.

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

:hf:

If anybody reading this thread wants to get rid of their ugly Cybercaster, don't PM me or anything. I unironically want one.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Tempus Fugit posted:

:hf:

If anybody reading this thread wants to get rid of their ugly Cybercaster, don't PM me or anything. I unironically want one.

I think I still have some of my grandparent's old furniture laying around if you want to commission White Dog Eggs to make you one.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Renegret posted:

I think I still have some of my grandparent's old furniture laying around if you want to commission White Dog Eggs to make you one.

I would totally do this.

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Renegret posted:

:iceburn:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I didn't really mean it as an insult, I was being half serious.

I really like that dresser though so I'm not taking it apart.

e: It's ugly as gently caress though, but it's real solid.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

White Dog Eggs posted:

Lace Cybercaster. Looks like it was made from an old TV.

love it. Including the finish. The most offset body ever.
Mind you I just googled it to see what the headstock looked like and was let down big time

White Dog Eggs posted:

Airline Bighorn, it's a reissue of a 60's guitar that no one wanted or asked for, 19 fret neck!

have seen a green one of these on ebay a few times and have found myself thinking "looks fun as hell, if I had the money and space for another guitar and I found myself drunk on ebay I might..." but hell I never actually realised about the frets.
Seriously you should see these in green or red. They look like a toy from the 60s

edit - I mean look at this, I think fisher price have made more legit looking guitars

Fair Hallion fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 12, 2014

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Renegret posted:

I didn't really mean it as an insult, I was being half serious.

I really like that dresser though so I'm not taking it apart.

e: It's ugly as gently caress though, but it's real solid.

It looks like rosewood to me. I don't know why, but I like it. Googling around I did find the ugliest guitar on the planet though. Check this out -

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

how about the spaceranger

still in production

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

White Dog Eggs posted:

I would totally do this.

hypothetically how much would something like that cost? cheapo body, fake wood panelling, some halfway decent lipstick tube pickups? thing is so kistch it's cool again

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
I found a stick on the way home, I have a bass tuning nut, spare strings and a spare 7 string Bareknuckle Aftermath pickup. Im loving making a Djentstick

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

man thats gross posted:

how about the spaceranger

still in production

lol derpy strat, derpy jaguar, derpy tele. derpy dano

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

White Dog Eggs posted:

Guitars with built in amps are all kinds of awful... I kind of want to own one though. Am I a bad person?

I own one of these. It's a loving piece of poo poo that sounds like a fart through tar, ESPECIALLY when plugged into an amp

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Tempus Fugit posted:

It looks like rosewood to me. I don't know why, but I like it. Googling around I did find the ugliest guitar on the planet though. Check this out -

My dickhead guitar instructor in college played something like that. His was uglier though. gently caress him, all he ever had me learn was Pat Matheny, gently caress Pat Matheny. gently caress you Tom Lagana.

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

lol

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

hahaha

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

mclast posted:

hypothetically how much would something like that cost? cheapo body, fake wood panelling, some halfway decent lipstick tube pickups? thing is so kistch it's cool again

Honestly, not a lot at all. Flat body with a reclaimed/pre-made neck maybe... £200 with a set of lipstick pickups, or £175 with some normal single-coils. With hand-made neck it'd have be
£300 in order for me to make any money.

Tempus Fugit posted:

It's probably that weird Rosewood that smells like soap, kingswood? I'm not too clued up on rosewoods.

I bet the person who owns that guitar would talk to you for HOURS about how swamp ash is tonally superior to normal ash (they get pissy when you point out that the only reason Fender originally used swamp ash was because it was the cheapest wood that wasn't pine).

Astrobastard posted:

I found a stick on the way home, I have a bass tuning nut, spare strings and a spare 7 string Bareknuckle Aftermath pickup. Im loving making a Djentstick

Hell yes!!

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Holy gently caress, how did I miss this?

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

that's about double in american money? probably not this year but that's rad as hell. thanks

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:eyepop:

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

mclast posted:

that's about double in american money? probably not this year but that's rad as hell. thanks

£200 is around $330 apparently, so a bit under half.

Astrobastard posted:

I own one of these. It's a loving piece of poo poo that sounds like a fart through tar, ESPECIALLY when plugged into an amp

hahaha, oh man, now I really want one.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

White Dog Eggs posted:

I bet the person who owns that guitar would talk to you for HOURS about how swamp ash is tonally superior to normal ash (they get pissy when you point out that the only reason Fender originally used swamp ash was because it was the cheapest wood that wasn't pine).

which they used for all their cabs

and now all the blusedads are like those old fender amps had resonance man. the openness of the pine really makes them sing

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

White Dog Eggs posted:

£200 is around $330 apparently, so a bit under half.

hahaha, oh man, now I really want one.

I actually just spent like 10 minutes looking for it, I knew I had one somewhere
Oh yeah, here it is ditched in a full-size bag of a real guitar that I've wall mounted

Im gonna pick up a 9v and a new set of strings on the way home from work, then record this monster

Astrobastard fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 13, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

comes along bort posted:

which they used for all their cabs

and now all the blusedads are like those old fender amps had resonance man. the openness of the pine really makes them sing

The original Broadcasters were made of pine and they sounded pretty good, however wires have got crossed and people think pine is this super-secret tonewood "that the guitar companies DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW!!!" rather than thinking that the wood really doesn't matter that much. I've been asked to build a lot of pine guitars in the last 2 years.

Astrobastard posted:

I actually just spent like 10 minutes looking for it, I knew I had one somewhere
Oh yeah, here it is ditched in a full-size bag of a real guitar that I've wall mounted

That's got to be MDF or particleboard. Is it super heavy with crap sustain?

Edit;

Astrobastard posted:

Im gonna pick up a 9v and a new set of strings on the way home from work, then record this monster
Haha, sweet! Godspeed goon, godspeed.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 13, 2014

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

White Dog Eggs posted:

Is it super heavy with crap sustain?

Yes

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

I used an MDF guitar body as a sledge last winter, dislocated a toe but it was worth it. The guitar body was fine.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Astrobastard posted:

Make a whamola instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z79flS6l7Q

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

I'm really over Les Claypool at this point. I've seen him at least 6 times in the last 5 or so years at different festivals in different iterations, and it always sounds the loving same.

We could probably do a whole thread about some of his ugly basses too.

That thing is pretty dumb

He really needs to play with Primus and stop doing the jam band circuit.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

HollisBrown posted:

We could probably do a whole thread about some of his ugly basses too.

That thing is pretty dumb

Dude, it's just a Dobro. Are we going to just start saying that every drat guitar ever made is ugly now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
i was really, really into Primus in highschool. Seen them a handful of times when Herb rejoined the band in between '04 and '06, and the Fancy Band once (bass, drum, percussion, sitar, saxophone - their cover of Shine On You Crazy Diamond was pretty alright). he's been getting more and more into the jamband scene for over a decade now, and i saw Primus with jay layne at a festival a few years ago and it was like seeing an old girlfriend, 'oh, nice, you're still alive and that's good. welp bye'

relatedly i fuckin love your av 3rd street residents guy

• Locked thread