Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It never occurred to me at any point that his dreads might have been real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Goes to show how lovely Syfy execs were where they would veto a haircut to make the actor more comfortable.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I thought he did the dreads thing by choice.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Luigi Thirty posted:

I thought he did the dreads thing by choice.

The way I read about it (probably in this thread) it went like this:

Jason Momoa has dreads, execs don't like it initially and after a few episodes he was to get rid of them.
Execs end up really liking the character with the dreads and then basically tell him he has to keep them.
Eventually Momoa is in considerable pain from all the stunt work because of the weight/momentum of his hair. (whiplash, et cetera)
Execs still really like the character with dreads so a wig is fashioned.

I think thats pretty much how it went down

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Watching Clauda Black burned alive was a little :stare: for Stargate

Daniel Jackson's goatee looks like someone rubbed poo poo over his lip while he was asleep.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

alg posted:

Watching Clauda Black burned alive was a little :stare: for Stargate

Daniel Jackson's goatee looks like someone rubbed poo poo over his lip while he was asleep.

They were legitimately worried that having two young white guys on SG-1 would be confusing when they brought Browder on, so they made Daniel grow some stubble so people could...deal with their prosopagnosia, I guess.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Hewlett posted:

They were legitimately worried that having two young white guys on SG-1 would be confusing when they brought Browder on, so they made Daniel grow some stubble so people could...deal with their prosopagnosia, I guess.

To be fair they do look eerily similar. Hence the whole "interesting, if limited, gene-pool" crack from Vala.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Flatscan posted:

To be fair they do look eerily similar. Hence the whole "interesting, if limited, gene-pool" crack from Vala.

Maybe if you are blind, or are non-white (as in, people have a harder time distinguishing people of other ethnicities than themselves). Otherwise, Shanks and Browder look nothing alike. They have completely different face shapes and physical builds.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Snak posted:

Maybe if you are blind, or are non-white (as in, people have a harder time distinguishing people of other ethnicities than themselves). Otherwise, Shanks and Browder look nothing alike. They have completely different face shapes and physical builds.

As a white guy who doesn't have any trouble telling them apart, I'd say they look pretty similar, at least in the face zone. That they had similar hair at the time is half the battle.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

DirtyRobot posted:

I never even noticed he was wearing a wig. My brain just automatically filed his hair under "ridiculous" and left it at that.

Good, I thought I was the only one who'd never noticed the wig.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Everything I read about Jason Momoa says he shouldn't be playing characters; he should just have his own weird talk show of some sort or something. Maybe a show where he takes stuffy old British actors and shows them how to have real party.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DirtyRobot posted:

Everything I read about Jason Momoa says he shouldn't be playing characters; he should just have his own weird talk show of some sort or something. Maybe a show where he takes stuffy old British actors and shows them how to have real party.

I am pretty sure that Patrick Stewart and Ian Mckellen could show him a good time.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
If Jason Momoa started showing up in those pictures of Patrick and Ian out on the town I don't think I could deal with it. I just wouldn't be able to handle it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Ripple Effect was great. I was hoping Jonas would show up, then boom Dr. Frazier :cry:

Now a Teal'c and Breytac episode. I didn't realize how awesome and integral to the show Tony Amendola would be at the beginning of the series.

SG-1 continues to own. Atlantis has had a few stellar episodes too, like Rodney getting stuck at the bottom of the ocean with head Carter.

Edit: Mitchell is really good too, really glad he turned out well.

alg fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 3, 2014

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

alg posted:

Ripple Effect was great. I was hoping Jonas would show up, then boom Dr. Frazier :cry:

Now a Teal'c and Breytac episode. I didn't realize how awesome and integral to the show Tony Amendola would be at the beginning of the series.

SG-1 continues to own. Atlantis has had a few stellar episodes too, like Rodney getting stuck at the bottom of the ocean with head Carter.

Edit: Mitchell is really good too, really glad he turned out well.

SG-1 and Atlantis both did a fantastic job developing characters. SG-1 did it with more characters, but almost any episode of Atlantis that focuses on McCay or Shepherd or both is guaranteed to be good.

SGU, while it did have some interesting concepts, did not make any characters really shine and that is probably its biggest failure.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

alg posted:

It's even better any time you get to combine Bra'tac and Hammond of Texas. There is an old Jaffa saying, General Hammond. They do not build them as they once did.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Snak posted:

SG-1 and Atlantis both did a fantastic job developing characters. SG-1 did it with more characters, but almost any episode of Atlantis that focuses on McCay or Shepherd or both is guaranteed to be good.

SGU, while it did have some interesting concepts, did not make any characters really shine and that is probably its biggest failure.

I think it was starting to come along before it got canceled.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

I think it was starting to come along before it got canceled.

I agree, but it also did a bad job choosing which characters to develop. It had the largest main cast of all three shows, and it focused on the younger characters that no one liked or cared about AND failed to develop them in good ways. It was teenage drama bullshit that wasn't engaging and they weren't sympathetic. Only Eli, Col. Young, Rush, and Greer were good characters, and they way they came together towards the end was great. Chloe and that guy straight out of the fake younger hipper SG-1 parody were boring as poo poo.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Well considering that his nickname in this thread was Lt. Bland

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
So I've started watching Altantis for the first time on Netfilx... do the Wraith get interesting at any point? First episode I just thought 'Hi Drizzt. Oh, you're a hand-vampire too? Ok, that's nice..." and the rest of S1 hasn't done anything to interest me otherwise.

I mean, I'm enjoying the rest of the show, but I can't take what seems to be the primary antagonist seriously.

WhoIsBarryBostwick
Sep 17, 2008

You're going to like the way you look...I guarantee it.
The Wraith as a whole don't get that much more interesting, but they do have their moments.

Especially when they introduce Todd. Todd is awesome, but the rest of them not so much.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Anything interesting about the Wraith was dropped when they realized they didn't have the budget for it.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

PriorMarcus posted:

Anything interesting about the Wraith was dropped when they realized they didn't have the budget for it.

Can you elaborate on this?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Hard Clumping posted:

Probably just that human form "replicators" require much less makeup.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Hard Clumping posted:

There ability to make you see things and the fact that even when detached limbs could function independently where such a minor part of the Wraith as the show went on that they might as well have never written them in.

I know that they had a couple of episodes that focused on the former, but even then it was as a problem of the week rather than an innate ability that the enemy possessed.

Also the fact they evolved from bugs didn't come across at all in their design.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

There ability to make you see things and the fact that even when detached limbs could function independently where such a minor part of the Wraith as the show went on that they might as well have never written them in.

I know that they had a couple of episodes that focused on the former, but even then it was as a problem of the week rather than an innate ability that the enemy possessed.

Also the fact they evolved from bugs didn't come across at all in their design.

The illusion thing was a power that I thought that only Hive Queens ever had used. Even then, I thought it was mentioned that since their feeding grounds were far less than they should have been, they were overall weaker.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I wanted to see that hive ship from the pilot occasionally, just cruising in space covered in trees on the top half.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Saveron_01 posted:

The illusion thing was a power that I thought that only Hive Queens ever had used. Even then, I thought it was mentioned that since their feeding grounds were far less than they should have been, they were overall weaker.

Well all of that is gibberish that the writers made-up because the other thing they made-up were too costly.

Taking the only unique things about your villain and writing in reasons for them not to use them is pretty poor.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Geez, I just finished watching Fallen and Homecoming, and wow, were the writers watching Star Wars immediately before doing the script? The whole thing just screamed 'A New Hope' at me, from the briefing on the ship's weak-point to Jonas and Daniel shooting their way into the command room with that curved console/desk, a la the Death Star prison deck! :D Loved it; and although it's sad to see Jonas go, it's great to see that Daniel's back. (although it did seem a like it happened with the bed still being warm, since Jonas didn't even get his usual segment in the opening credits of Homecoming, while Daniel did, even though he wasn't formally back yet...)

"Yeah, I thought we were going with 'Red Leader' on this one..."

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 9, 2014

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I've only just got into watching Stargate. I remember seeing some old SG-1 reruns on the TV a few years back (Space Nazi Odo and the one where O'Neill gets ccused of an assassination because an NID guy used technobabble to look like him) and the movie, but I've been watching season 5 of Atlantis since it's being shown on reruns here (UK Freeview). I nabbed the first series of SG-1 at some point, but I remember I went off it when I hit Emancipation. Not had any luck finding DVDs on the high street, though. I feel like I've arrived very late to the party.

I haven't noticed Teyla being that annoying to be honest, but I don't think she's said 'My People' once. Everyone else seems awesome.

It's Ghost in the Machine for tonight's episode. Oh boy.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
When SG-1 first started airing, I missed the The Children of the Gods premiere because I didn't know the show existed. I caught Enemy Within (the Kowalski has a Goa'uld episode) and got just enough of what I missed from the pilot to figure I'd keep watching. Then Emancipation aired and I SOMEHOW didn't end up watching any more after that! So you stopping watching after Emancipation, that I can totally understand, Yvonmukluk.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well I've watched all of season 5 of SGA up to 'The Shrine'.

I think that was the first time I heard 'my people' out of Teyla.

Also, what the gently caress was going on with those replicators? One of them acts up and then send the rest into the cold void of space? I gather they were a big threat (in one of the alternate universes in The Daedalus Variations the 'native' Daedalus was destroyed fighting them), but they seemed perfectly peaceful.

But I definitely like the show and cast (even Teyla). Also Robert Picardo as Woolsey the leader is awesome. He's not a guy there to say 'no', he seems pretty reasonable.

The Shrine was a very good episode. and quite sad, especially McKay's degradation and Woolsey's talking about his father. I'm pretty much on board with this show, I think. Hopefully I'll be able to go back and watch the earlier seasons at one point.

Apoplexy posted:

When SG-1 first started airing, I missed the The Children of the Gods premiere because I didn't know the show existed. I caught Enemy Within (the Kowalski has a Goa'uld episode) and got just enough of what I missed from the pilot to figure I'd keep watching. Then Emancipation aired and I SOMEHOW didn't end up watching any more after that! So you stopping watching after Emancipation, that I can totally understand, Yvonmukluk.

Yeah, I heard it gets good in Season 2. I've gone back and the show seems a bit rough round the edges, but still promising.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think that was the first time I heard 'my people' out of Teyla.

Were you not paying attention or-

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hopefully I'll be able to go back and watch the earlier seasons at one point.

OH

The Shrine is an incredible episode, possibly my favorite SGA, and one I can't watch much because it's super effective at bringing back bad memories. David Hewlett is an incredible actor and it's a drat shame he doesn't get hired more often.

If you're hankerin' for some Hewlett and can find a copy of the movie Nothing, it's worth a watch. It's by the director of Cube and it's a silly fun film about two best friends who hate the world together.

I think the movie may have been polarizing but I enjoyed it for what it was.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Hard Clumping posted:

If you're hankerin' for some Hewlett

I'm sorry, you were saying? :wink:

But yeah, nthing the love for Nothing - it's a great little existential comedy, and Hewlett and Andrew Miller are great in it.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Hewlett posted:

I'm sorry, you were saying? :wink:

But yeah, nthing the love for Nothing - it's a great little existential comedy, and Hewlett and Andrew Miller are great in it.

:wink::wink: (your white av text is good and correct)

I'm a huge fan of that wild, wild film, but a lot of the people I know who've seen it didn't like it. A lot of them were turned off by the fact that they didn't explain exactly why what happened happened (trying not to spoil), which is really odd to me because that is soooo obviously not the point of the film at all. I kept asking "what would it really have added to the film as a whole except bar your imagination from going places" and they would just shake their heads and say "I just wanna know what happened..." so I'd tell them to just go watch Cube Zero and laugh, though I really can't hate on people for this not being everybody's type of film.

I remember my Dad being absolutely sure that the turtle had something to do with it and would turn out to be an alien or something and was really confused when it didn't happen, but I believe he was right in the middle of renewing his love of Hitchhiker's Guide with the new movie.

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 12, 2014

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well I've watched all of season 5 of SGA up to 'The Shrine'.

It's a shame you started on Season 5; that episode would have been even more amazing if you had more time to connect to the characters (especially John and Rodney). But still awesome regardless of when you watch it. Find a way to catch the early seasons, quick!

vandelay industries fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 12, 2014

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

vandelay industries posted:

It's a shame you started on Season 5; that episode would have been even more amazing if you had more time to connect to the characters (especially John and Rodney). But still awesome regardless of when you watch it. Find a way to catch the early seasons, quick!

Well I certainly got attached to them pretty well. It's my new second-favourite Science Fiction show (As a British person, Doctor Who will always be first in my heart).

Hopefully they'll loop round into series one when series 5 ends and I can catch up that way. But I'll probably look into nabbing some box sets in the future.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Talk of David Hewlett movies and no mention of A Dogs Breakfast? For shame!

http://www.adogsbreakfastmovie.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Eh, I thought about bringing it up but to be perfectly honest I wasn't a huge fan.