Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Chillyrabbit posted:

Looking for recommendations on anime that has the main protagonist, male or female not be a wuss and actually feel like he is somewhat powerful/has strength and not be ridiculously op. i.e they can hold their own against poo poo.

Examples:

Guts from Berserk (not too op but he isn't a pussy)
Kinji aria the scarlet ammo (sure he has a special power but he isn't a total whiny wuss most of the time)
Touma Certain magical index (A little OP but it isn't an instant win for him all the time)
Raishin Unbreakable Machine doll (Probably the perfect guy, not ridiculously op but not too weak and not a whiny bitch)

Fist of the North Star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Bongo Bill posted:

Fist of the North Star.

"Not ridiculously OP" doesn't really describe Kenshiro at all.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

"Not ridiculously OP" doesn't really describe Kenshiro at all.

Sometimes he likes to let the mooks think their cute little tricks will work, and really, their squirming and subsequent karmic downfall is part of the fun. Plus, most of the main villains even gain the upper hand for a while.

Edit: More to the point, although it isn't technically exactly what was asked for, it is in spirit an action show that escapes (predates, really) many of the tiresome cliches of the genre. Its protagonist is stoic, compassionate, merciless, and not an idiot, and while he does have a lot of bullshit powers, he only ever wins by being a more skilled fighter. He has a million ways to ruin some thug's day, but the enemies that are supposed to feel like credible threats manage to do so without getting into any nonsense about power levels.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 11, 2014

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Bongo Bill posted:

Sometimes he likes to let the mooks think their cute little tricks will work, and really, their squirming and subsequent karmic downfall is part of the fun. Plus, most of the main villains even gain the upper hand for a while.

Edit: More to the point, although it isn't technically exactly what was asked for, it is in spirit an action show that escapes (predates, really) many of the tiresome cliches of the genre. Its protagonist is stoic, compassionate, merciless, and not an idiot, and while he does have a lot of bullshit powers, he only ever wins by being a more skilled fighter. He has a million ways to ruin some thug's day, but the enemies that are supposed to feel like credible threats manage to do so without getting into any nonsense about power levels.

True, it would be worth it at least for me to give it a 5 episode test. Like Touma from certain magical index in the end is actually ridiculously OP considering what he can do but its not a cakewalk for him to win, due to situation or the antagonists.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The worst thing about the Fist of the North Star anime is that it follows the manga for about three episodes then gives us something like 15 or 20 episodes of filler before it gets back on track. Some of it is admittedly hilarious filler though.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Professor Latency posted:

Just popping in to say I am an absolute sucker for not watching Mushi-shi until now. Everything about it is perfect.

Yes. Yes you are. Everyone should watch Mushishi, because it is absolutely amazing. If enough people watch it, maybe some day we'll get more.

...Maybe, in a better world.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Yes. Yes you are. Everyone should watch Mushishi, because it is absolutely amazing. If enough people watch it, maybe some day we'll get more.

...Maybe, in a better world.

Well there's the recent special and a season 2 was announced so let me be the first to say: Welcome, to a better world.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Srice posted:

Well there's the recent special and a season 2 was announced so let me be the first to say: Welcome, to a better world.

I promised myself I wouldn't cry.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Srice posted:

2nd best news I've heard so far this year :allears:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Fenrir posted:

So I got around to giving Toradora another shot and, well, I'm not exactly sure why I didn't get into it the first time around. Maybe I just kinda forgot about it or something.

Anything else along those lines? Also, feel free to recommend something similar that ramps up the comedy.

Quoting this for new page because we got caught up in soundtrack chat and OP protagonists :shobon:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just started watching Devilman Lady as the Lain simulwatch reminded me that it was one of the few Chiaki Konaka shows I haven't seen, and it struck me that I couldn't actually think of any other kaiju-style giant monster fighting monster anime shows, there are almost always robots involved, are there any others? Bonus if they're actually worth watching.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

Just started watching Devilman Lady as the Lain simulwatch reminded me that it was one of the few Chiaki Konaka shows I haven't seen, and it struck me that I couldn't actually think of any other kaiju-style giant monster fighting monster anime shows, there are almost always robots involved, are there any others? Bonus if they're actually worth watching.

Well there's the original Devilman TV anime. Can't think of much else though.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

While Neo Ranga had a robot in it the thing was comic relief and all the real fighting is done by Ranga and other gods/giant monsters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6XIb7TIhV4

Also Ranga is Kaiju Santa Claus.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

jonjonaug posted:

Well there's the original Devilman TV anime. Can't think of much else though.

Ah, I figured the original series probably did, I but I've only seen the first few eps of that with horrible HK subs.

Welp, that's added to my queue. If I remember correctly wasn't that one of the earliest shows to use the short episode format?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Good news Discotek licensed Devilman TV. So it should be out sooner or later. Yeah, Neo Ranga does the half episode thing it is one of the early ones if your only counting the ones when they started doing it a lot in the late 90s, there were a few before that.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fenrir posted:

So I got around to giving Toradora another shot and, well, I'm not exactly sure why I didn't get into it the first time around. Maybe I just kinda forgot about it or something.

Anything else along those lines? Also, feel free to recommend something similar that ramps up the comedy.

You really aren't going to find something like Toradora but lighter without getting into more purely comedy shows like School Rumble. I haven't seen Kanon or Clannad, but they're well liked and have the same kind of dramady mix. If you're fine with something more girly, Josei and Shojo shows like Lovely Complex or NANA mange the mix better.

If you're okay with something more serious, Golden Time is an adaptation of a book by the same author as the source for Toradora.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Is black butler any good?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Chillyrabbit posted:

True, it would be worth it at least for me to give it a 5 episode test. Like Touma from certain magical index in the end is actually ridiculously OP considering what he can do but its not a cakewalk for him to win, due to situation or the antagonists.

Sakurazuka posted:

The worst thing about the Fist of the North Star anime is that it follows the manga for about three episodes then gives us something like 15 or 20 episodes of filler before it gets back on track. Some of it is admittedly hilarious filler though.

This is very true. The early filler does not give you a very strong indication of what you're in for. It has a drat good first episode, but the filler does more shallow villain-of-the-week stuff and fewer tragic megalomaniac arc villains.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

NeoSeeker posted:

Not unless you're a fujoshi.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Just a quick question because someone mentioned short episode format: Are there actually any shows about with longer episode durations than the industry standard? I guess OVAs would kind of qualify, Unicorn comes to mind of recent shows - though it's more like a series of movies at this point. OVAs tend to be limited to a very small episode count, though.

It makes one think what shows have been deemed impossible because of the anime's standard 22-25 minute episode length - I mean, it has to limit how narrative works to some degree. If I understand correctly, the norm wasn't always like it is today. When was the last time a show with longer duration was actually broadcasted, and are there any older shows worth checking? Any must-sees from the past?

Yeah, I've been meaning to check humanity has declined, cheers. And yeah, I'm more just curious of the longer format in general, perhaps there are oldies worth checking, too. Katanagatari I've actually watched. Weird I forgot about it.
|
V

Dessel fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 12, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Katanagatari had ~50 minute episodes, and is the only example that comes to mind. There's also a fairly large amount of shows recently with short 3-7 minute episodes, but I'm not sure that's what you were thinking of.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There's quite a few shows that tell stories over multiple episodes in order to get around the half hour limit, such as Humanity Has Declined and Mononoke.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

OVAs are your best bet for that sort of thing. The main reason why you usually don't see anything longer than 22 minutes per episode of tv anime (outside of rare things like two episodes airing in a row or maybe the first episode being double length) is because animators have a hard enough time meeting the deadlines as-is.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
edit: Nevermind, I found what I was looking for.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 12, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dessel posted:

Just a quick question because someone mentioned short episode format: Are there actually any shows about with longer episode durations than the industry standard? I guess OVAs would kind of qualify, Unicorn comes to mind of recent shows - though it's more like a series of movies at this point. OVAs tend to be limited to a very small episode count, though.

It makes one think what shows have been deemed impossible because of the anime's standard 22-25 minute episode length - I mean, it has to limit how narrative works to some degree. If I understand correctly, the norm wasn't always like it is today. When was the last time a show with longer duration was actually broadcasted, and are there any older shows worth checking? Any must-sees from the past?

Yeah, I've been meaning to check humanity has declined, cheers. And yeah, I'm more just curious of the longer format in general, perhaps there are oldies worth checking, too. Katanagatari I've actually watched. Weird I forgot about it.
|
V

Any show that stretches an arc over multiple episodes might fit. The Monogatari series (Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, Nekomonogatari Black, and the recently finished Monogatari Second Season) is entirely composed of several long story arcs that stretch over several episodes. Not a series everyone will like however.

I don't know if this counts, but From the New World foregoes the OP in favor of using the extra time for the episode, so it's a good bit longer than the standard episode. It's also really, really amazing. It's a very serious show, but there's still a good amount to enjoy if you don't care for the heavy themes.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Hey everyone!

We're currently undergoing a real push towards updating the ADTRWiki to fill in any missed anime or manga people may enjoy, and in general fill it up more.

Please consider adding series to the wiki, as well as adding your opinions to existing series! This really helps improve it as a resource, and makes recommending interesting shows all the easier. I feel it's already a pretty solid resource, but the more knowledge and things we have on there, the better it can be.

If you're looking for a good way to help, you can help add your personal opinions to the various series listed on our "New to Anime?" page and Top 10 anime by year pages, help on our stubs, help capture some of the series & opinions shared in the top 10 voting for this year, as well as just generally add new series, opinions, and cross-series suggestions in the You May Also Like... sections.

We also currently have a thread specifically for updating the ADTRWiki FAQ, as well as discussing changes to our New? listing and other details. Consider giving it a read and sharing your thoughts on how to improve our wiki!

:thumbsup:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

NeoSeeker posted:

I'm a die hard Astro Boy/Metropolis fan, and even I can't bring myself to watch it.

Just posting to say Chi's New Address is awesome. :3:

- I'm an idiot. I was thinking of Black Jack. :downs:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 14, 2014

MMania
May 7, 2008

Fenrir posted:

There are tons of late high school/early college rom-coms, if you're looking for more com than rom I'd recommend Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, Mahoraba ~Heartful Days, or the ongoing Silver Spoon. Basically there is some blushing and stammering, but no one actually hooks up in any of these because too much silly stuff is going on.

There really isn't anything like Toradora that I can think of, which probably explains the lack of responses. It switches seamlessly between hilarious comedy and moving emotional scenes, when you're usually lucky to get one of those.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm on episode 31 of Juuni Kokuki and felt like I'd give an updated opinion on it.

Probably the only negative worth mentioning is that the pacing can be pretty bad in parts. Things really dragged for a while after the initial plot thread finished and the episodes about that black kirin started. The animation/action aren't that great, but they're not that important for a show like this to begin with.

I also felt like the Hou princess who ends up meeting Rakushun kind of abruptly did a complete 180 from a terrible person to a not-terrible one. I get that her story is supposed to be compared to Youko's, but Youko's personality changed more gradually and in response to various events. The ex-princess seemed to go from "heh I bet the hundreds of thousands of folks my dad executed had it coming" to being a reasonable person overnight. I guess it was just Rakushun working his magic.

The plot/setting is so good that I would feel weird giving it anything less than a 9/10, though. Even if the execution leaves some to be desired, the world it builds is fascinating and a good break from all of the Western-inspired fantasies.

edit: I just finished episode 39, which seems to have ended the "main arc" and realized something: What ever happened with the "black kirin in Japan who meets Sugimoto" plot thread? It seems like it was just dropped once things started picking up with Yoko/Suzu/Shoukei.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 15, 2014

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

edit: I just finished episode 39, which seems to have ended the "main arc" and realized something: What ever happened with the "black kirin in Japan who meets Sugimoto" plot thread? It seems like it was just dropped once things started picking up with Yoko/Suzu/Shoukei.
Part of a book that never got animated and probably never will.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

The Devil Tesla posted:

You really aren't going to find something like Toradora but lighter without getting into more purely comedy shows like School Rumble. I haven't seen Kanon or Clannad, but they're well liked and have the same kind of dramady mix. If you're fine with something more girly, Josei and Shojo shows like Lovely Complex or NANA mange the mix better.

If you're okay with something more serious, Golden Time is an adaptation of a book by the same author as the source for Toradora.

MMania posted:

There are tons of late high school/early college rom-coms, if you're looking for more com than rom I'd recommend Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, Mahoraba ~Heartful Days, or the ongoing Silver Spoon. Basically there is some blushing and stammering, but no one actually hooks up in any of these because too much silly stuff is going on.

There really isn't anything like Toradora that I can think of, which probably explains the lack of responses. It switches seamlessly between hilarious comedy and moving emotional scenes, when you're usually lucky to get one of those.

Thanks guys :shobon:

Already seen most of these but School Rumble and Silver Spoon look worth checking into.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

I mentioned this a bit in my post several pages ago, but Taiki's story was meant to span three novels. The first was the second arc of the anime, the second was never animated, and the third has yet to be written.

That second novel directly follows the first and also features Yoko, several other characters we know well, and several new ones.

There is also somewhat of an extra novel in the Taiki series. It's called Demon Child, and was written before the Twelve Kingdoms series. You can think of it as sort of like a pilot for the real series. I haven't read it, but I imagine it takes place during the second novel and covers some of the plot thread you mention, albeit without Sugimoto since she's an anime-only creation.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 17, 2014

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Is there a manga recommendation thread?

I have read and liked, Knights of Sidonia, I am a Hero, and Attack on Titan.

I tried reading so far didn't like:

- Claymore (got extremely burned out after awhile)
- Planetes (got really bored)

I am looking for ether sci-fi/dark fantasy.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Have you tried Berserk?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

UberJumper posted:

The source material is light but have you tried Pluto? It's a retelling of an Astro Boy arc by the guy that did Monster and it's quite good.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Well holy poo poo, Chihayafuru is one of the best anime shows I've seen. I liked the manga well enough, but the anime's presentation and direction are just outstanding so far. It makes a game so obscure so easy to understand and doesn't obfuscate, as well as ratcheting up tension without mysticising the whole thing too much. The manga was a well written and quite human tale and the anime just enhances it all.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 21, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TheEye posted:

That second novel directly follows the first and also features Yoko, several other characters we know well, and several new ones.

Has it been translated into English?

Also, it's interesting to hear that Sugimoto wasn't in the novels. In retrospect it's not that surprising; you can remove her entirely without it affecting Youko's whole character arc (and the same goes for Asano). Maybe that's why her shift from "crazy who thinks Youko was mistaken for her" to "rational human being" was really abrupt compared with Youko's character development.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

UberJumper posted:

If you liked Knights of Sidonia and want more sci-fi/dark fantasy, you should start with Tsutomo Nihei's other works - Blame! and Biomega.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Someone please recommend me an anime about American Football :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=4778

Google, Google never changes.

• Locked thread