Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

bobbertoriley posted:

- F-Zero GX (Highly recommended. This guy made the game look much easier than it ever should)

Holy crap this run was incredible. I was on the edge of my seat most of the time.

There were a few runs in particular I wanted to catch that I missed, so I'll probably be waiting for them to hit Youtube when they'll be a bit easier to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

You'll also be able to download them from their archive.org page, which is great if you want to watch certain games at 60 fps. The Source quality stream is also 60 fps, but all the lower quality encodes are 30.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Do you have a link to the archive.org page, or is that not up yet? There's also the VODs thread on Reddit here.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

FrickenMoron posted:

Slowbeef are you just recording dark souls or actually streaming your runs as you record? Still enjoying the videos so far!

I'm just recording them, mostly offline - a couple online.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

You'll also be able to download them from their archive.org page, which is great if you want to watch certain games at 60 fps. The Source quality stream is also 60 fps, but all the lower quality encodes are 30.

This. One other advantage is that they'll also include a game only audio track if commentary isn't your thing. They also post their stuff on their youtube page(speedDemosArchiveSDA). I recommend taking a look at previous marathons as well.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
ManyATrueNerd just finished up his Fallout: New Vegas Kill Everything run, and I enjoyed it because it made me giggle more than I should have. His editing is great, and his commentary is solid overall. However, the series gets repetitive, since he spends a lot of his time hiding and exploiting the buggy structure of the game. His No Kill run is a worthwhile watch, too, as more and more enemies show up to use him as target practice.

Also: you might be reminded of OfficialNerdCubed while watching his videos. That's actually because he's a big fan of his.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

Samiz posted:

One F Jef is one of my favourite lpers. He started in december of 2009 with a let's play of Dwarf Fortress: Adventure Mode

Thank you for this recommendation without it I would never see THIS WARNING LOUD!

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Forgall posted:

I just want Fraser to play Dark Souls. Cause he's going to be bad at it and he'll blame the game every step of the way and it'll be hilarious.

But yeah, otherwise they are piss.
I decided to check out a few of their videos and you weren't kidding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH6J7RO-C04&t=685s
(11:25)

Get stumped by a simple riddle (select the chess pieces in the order they appear in the clue), has to get the solution from the chat and then spends several minutes whining about how it doesn't make sense.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

kissekatt posted:

Get stumped by a simple riddle (select the chess pieces in the order they appear in the clue), has to get the solution from the chat and then spends several minutes whining about how it doesn't make sense.

I watched the video and was going to comment about how the riddle really doesn't make much sense but then I saw that they had trouble figuring out which piece was the rook.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

kissekatt posted:

That video just highlights my love/hate relationship with VGA. On one hand I appreciate their enthusiasm and passion towards the games they play, even going as far as making costumes for their live shows just to show how much care and effort they put into their videos. On the other, Fraser and Co. going into a game blind and bumbling around the game, even accomplishing nothing at times, really wears on my patience, with their moments trying to work out a difficult part of a game with the delayed chatroom being the worst bits as it grinds the video to a halt.

Still, I can't bring myself to call them bad because their format is more tailored as a fresh impression of games they haven't played. They've never claimed that the show exists to guide viewers through a game, much like a standard Let's Play, and that's probably for the best.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

kissekatt posted:

I mostly stopped watching them when they were doing Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney and Justice For All because Fraser kept spending the trials whining about leaps of logic they were taking and when that is the majority of a 15-30 min video making what should be a three or four video trial into something like 10 part starts to wear thin.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

mateo360 posted:

I mostly stopped watching them when they were doing Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney and Justice For All because Fraser kept spending the trials whining about leaps of logic they were taking and when that is the majority of a 15-30 min video making what should be a three or four video trial into something like 10 part starts to wear thin.

Their DX:HR one was kind of frustrating. He wanted to explore Sarif Industries despite numerous warnings that something bad would happen. When it does happen, he says that the game didn't tell them. Then he kept killing cops for no reason.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

mateo360 posted:

That's like the worst game to play in that format.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

theCalamity posted:

Their DX:HR one was kind of frustrating. He wanted to explore Sarif Industries despite numerous warnings that something bad would happen. When it does happen, he says that the game didn't tell them. Then he kept killing cops for no reason.

How do you get something bad to happen from exploring Sarif Industries? I hacked all the keypads in plain view of everyone and all that happened was a few emails worrying about a thief.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

How do you get something bad to happen from exploring Sarif Industries? I hacked all the keypads in plain view of everyone and all that happened was a few emails worrying about a thief.

If you wait too long getting to the plant, the hostages will have already been killed.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's before the first mission where you have to go investigate the hostage crisis at one of the factories. It's right after Adam gets his augmentations. Wait too long, and the hostages get killed.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If you take too long before you head to the manufacturing plant you run out of time to save the hostages and they die before you arrive.

e: ok i guess you've been sufficiently informed

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Ah, that. Yeah, that one's fair, especially with how often they tell you in-game to get your rear end moving.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
Modern games seem to bother you a lot with tutorialized instructions though if you aren't following their orders exactly. I can see someone not expecting anything to really happen by ignoring the game prompts.

It's actually a good game design in the tutorial sense, because it lets you know they aren't messing around - and your actions can make a difference in the story. I almost wish it happened a little faster, since they give you like 10-20 minutes before it has an impact - so only the most thorough explorers will run into it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I poked around everything, and I still rescued all the hostages. So I guess it's kinda generous.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yeah, I had no idea that was a thing and have always managed to rescue the civvies. I play pretty conservatively too... so is it just 10 minutes until you go to the mission, or 10 minutes flat out?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Yeah, I had no idea that was a thing and have always managed to rescue the civvies. I play pretty conservatively too... so is it just 10 minutes until you go to the mission, or 10 minutes flat out?

Once you take the helicopter it's locked in. I you get either one or two warnings while faffing about Sarif, then a "great job screwing it up Jensen" message.

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013

FailAtMagic posted:

Thank you for this recommendation without it I would never see THIS WARNING LOUD!

Ahhh, his Silent Hunter IV let's play, that one is awesome. A little slow, but in a good way. I recommend seeing the entire thing if you get the time

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Everyone's watching Supergreatfriend's stuff, right? He doesn't post most of it on SA, only his "real" LPs, but the streams and XBLIG videos are fantastic. He mostly plays old and/or weird adventure games on stream. He's currently playing Virtue's Last Reward (blind!) and some MDickie games, has played stuff like Indigo Prophecy and also 999 (also blind)

Now, I hear you saying "Live, blind playthroughs of adventure games/visual novels?" And I say they're pretty good. If you're watching the streams live, you'll be there screaming the answers for him in chat when he misses something, and if you're watching recorded, just skip past those parts. I mean, it's not ideal, but SGF is a pretty funny dude and the chat scrolling by gives you something else to watch in the sometimes boring segments.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
I watched his Hard Time stream, and it was pretty funny since the game is so crazy, but his commentary ended up becoming too predictable. It's the same for every other video of this that I watched.. so it's a mixed bag. I'd never be a frequent viewer of his for that reason, but some others might like his work more.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Amppelix posted:

Everyone's watching Supergreatfriend's stuff, right? He doesn't post most of it on SA, only his "real" LPs, but the streams and XBLIG videos are fantastic. He mostly plays old and/or weird adventure games on stream. He's currently playing Virtue's Last Reward (blind!) and some MDickie games, has played stuff like Indigo Prophecy and also 999 (also blind)

Now, I hear you saying "Live, blind playthroughs of adventure games/visual novels?" And I say they're pretty good. If you're watching the streams live, you'll be there screaming the answers for him in chat when he misses something, and if you're watching recorded, just skip past those parts. I mean, it's not ideal, but SGF is a pretty funny dude and the chat scrolling by gives you something else to watch in the sometimes boring segments.

He's probably one of the only people who doesn't LP visual novels by reading all the text in "funny" voices so that's another point in favor.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

whitehelm posted:

He's probably one of the only people who doesn't LP visual novels by reading all the text in "funny" voices so that's another point in favor.

I was really skeptical, but it's more about interacting with chat as they react to things too, rather than just focusing on long text sequences.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

One SGF stream everyone should watch is the Plumbers Don't Wear Ties one. Mainly because of the chat's interaction with the game's stupidity.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I got a few let's players I watch every day. The first one that would come into my mind is AllShamNoWow - which appearently is a goon as well. His let's plays are all well edited, funny. They seem unforced, and the way he rages about things is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AllShamNoWow

The second would be Dilandau3000, with his amazing LPs of the entire Myst-series in the format I love quite a lot - well informed, and packed with so much side-notes and informations. He has a pleasent voice as well, which is always a plus.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Dilandau3000

And the last one would be...ehm...Yahtzee, who is probably more known for ZeroPunctuation. Even tho' the LPs on his own channel with his friend - mostly very old games - are very nice to simply listen too in the background while doing something else.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-Q4WBqNtMF_2GbIsGjic4A

That's it for me, really.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Michaellaneous posted:

I got a few let's players I watch every day. The first one that would come into my mind is AllShamNoWow - which appearently is a goon as well. His let's plays are all well edited, funny. They seem unforced, and the way he rages about things is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AllShamNoWow

He also has one of the best laughs. It's contagious, without being piercing.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

djw175 posted:

He also has one of the best laughs. It's contagious, without being piercing.

That is so loving true. It really is the only guy I can stand laughing out so loud - at least from those I know.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Look, here's the deal.

1. You like Woolie, from Two Best Friends Play.
2. You have to pretend to like me, or I'll ban you.

So what happens when you add two things you like, or one thing you like and one thing you have to?

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vBtIstuv80

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Slowbeef posted:

Look, here's the deal.

1. You like Woolie, from Two Best Friends Play.
2. You have to pretend to like me, or I'll ban you.

So what happens when you add two things you like, or one thing you like and one thing you have to?

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vBtIstuv80

Oh man, been looking forward to this since they posted that con panel video.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

When he says 8 hour DSP montage, I think this is the one, assuming there aren't multiple such things.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

MooCowlian posted:

When he says 8 hour DSP montage, I think this is the one, assuming there aren't multiple such things.

There are multiple DSP montages that break the hour mark. As a matter of fact they seem to be a subgenre of video on YouTube unto themselves. I guess that can't be too surprising when you consider that Phil's insane schedule leads him to post, in a week's time, 64 videos of just Blue Dragon, and about 40 videos of Dragon Age Origins in two weeks. You could literally never run out of material to put in those montages.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Lazyfire posted:

There are multiple DSP montages that break the hour mark. As a matter of fact they seem to be a subgenre of video on YouTube unto themselves. I guess that can't be too surprising when you consider that Phil's insane schedule leads him to post, in a week's time, 64 videos of just Blue Dragon, and about 40 videos of Dragon Age Origins in two weeks. You could literally never run out of material to put in those montages.

Oh yeah, I'm very much familiar with the set of videos themselves. I've watched pretty much every one of them I can find, and the eight hour one was already in my playlist. Not actually got around to starting it yet. I wouldn't be surprised if there are multiple really, really long ones.

On the DSP topic, does he actually expect people to watch everything he does? He talks like he really does think people are just going to sit there and watch hours of effectively raw footage every day. I kind of considered it originally as more of an archive sort of thing, so you might only watch one of his games over a couple of weeks and just ignore the rest, or for people who just wanted a particular game.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Didn't he once ask his subscribers to click and like every video even if they weren't going to watch it? "It only takes a few seconds and it lets me keep entertaining you" or some poo poo?

Maybe I have him confused with someone else.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I was watching some of those montages earlier in the week and they were rapidly driving me insane. Watch them with caution.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I was watching some of those montages earlier in the week and they were rapidly driving me insane. Watch them with caution.

I can do about 15 minutes to half an hour at a time. He actually has a real live fan base who watches him suck at games and think he's worth defending on the internet (the most serious and sacred battleground). The person who can come home from school (let's face it, they aren't working age) and think "Awesome, 12 new videos from Phil!" scares me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!
Since we are back on DSP chat, there is a video This is how you DON'T lay Jak and Daxter, which is a game I went back to this weekend, and have almost beaten in 2 days. Many of his issues, I finished in 1 or 2 tries. Not great at these games, but it really is not a hard game.

• Locked thread