Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Seems to be the best thing that has come out of Poland so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Thanks for bringing Otter to our attention. In some ways this is actually already closer to what I want than the new Operas, and open source means I can add whatever small things are missing / aren't to my personal liking. We can almost do left-side tabs already; they're just sideways instead of horizontal-on-the-side :)

[edit] Here's the bug about that. At least it's confirmed that it's coming. https://github.com/Emdek/otter/issues/35

I'll definitely be watching this one closely, if not attempting to contribute lightly.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 7, 2014

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Lakitu7 posted:

In some ways this is actually already closer to what I want than the new Operas

It's weird, like Opera thinks that "Displaying HTML" is what people like about classic Opera.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Riso posted:

Seems to be the best thing that has come out of Poland so far.

Kids these days got no respect for history. :corsair:

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Dear Opera,

Your installer has nothing to do with why people aren't installing your browser anymore.

Just a heads up.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone else have an issue with SA images (smilies or thread tags) suddenly not loading in O12? It's as if I accidentally turned images off, except ones hosted elsewhere (including banners) still show up. It's really weird, and the usual cache flush or restart don't help at all.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Check that you didn't accidentally adbock them, I guess? If all else fails, you can always temporarily relocate your user profile to see if a fresh one fixes it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Cuntpunch posted:

Dear Opera,

Your installer has nothing to do with why people aren't installing your browser anymore.

Just a heads up.

I reworded your post and posted it as a comment to the desktop team's blog post and now it's the topmost comment, before the mod's doge meme.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lakitu7 posted:

Check that you didn't accidentally adbock them, I guess? If all else fails, you can always temporarily relocate your user profile to see if a fresh one fixes it.

Welp that turned out to be something else entirely, realized that once I had the same issue in IE from the work computer. Turns out there's some kind of security bullshit getting in the way, which is only obvious if you try to open an image directly:

Since this issue is present at home and work (even if not logged in), it seems like the whole country got out on a blacklist or something. Wasn't there a thread in A/T somewhere for forum-related questions? Can't find it now anywhere.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I think you want QCS more than Ask/Tell.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Cuntpunch posted:

Dear Opera,

Just a heads up.

Wheany posted:

I reworded your post and posted it as a comment to the desktop team's blog post and now it's the topmost comment, before the mod's doge meme.

Having talked to the mod in question, he struggled to refrain from posting "wow. such development. much invention.". What you got was merely better hidden sarcasm. :)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 14, 2014

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
Looks like Opera 18 stores autofill data even when in private browsing mode. Surely that's not something that should happen? I'd imagine if anyone was actually using it they'd be upset.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

AtomD posted:

Looks like Opera 18 stores autofill data even when in private browsing mode. Surely that's not something that should happen? I'd imagine if anyone was actually using it they'd be upset.

Permanently, or just for that private session? It seems to cache more than I remember 12 doing in private windows, but it still all goes away when you close it. Seems problematic if it's permanent though, yes.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
Try it out.
Open a private tab, go to the SA front page and search for "test2" or whatever under Search SA. After you close the private tab it should still pop up as an autofill option, across other sites as well.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Its apparently a known issue, and fixed in 19; the fix should reach everyone during next week.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
One of the original Opera founders has created a new website to replace the My Opera community that was axed. https://vivaldi.net/

In other news, according to a former developer Opera stopped development of Linux versions of the browser.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

On a whim, I installed the new version of Opera (Next so I can keep my good version of 12 intact) to see how bad it is.

Do people actually use this thing? I have no link, I can't customize much of anything, and I can't even import bookmarks.

:wtc: ctrl+tab uses the order of the tabs and thus is loving useless.

I like how it is a worthless, incomplete, husk of what it once was.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
What's this "opera" you speak of, it sounds a bit like a nice thing from the ancient past but i don't think anyone has seen one in centuries.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

EvilMoFo posted:

Do people actually use this thing?
Not anymore! :v:

:smith:

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
I'm going to propose this just gets hijacked into Otter talk: http://otter-browser.org/

Initial Alpha is, as one would expect, extremely barebones but we can have hope!

Alpha2 looks to be scheduled for next week, so it seems at this point it's a race as to whether a Polish open-source project can actually create a 'modern' Opera browser before Opera itself does.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

EvilMoFo posted:

On a whim, I installed the new version of Opera (Next so I can keep my good version of 12 intact) to see how bad it is.

Do people actually use this thing? I have no link, I can't customize much of anything, and I can't even import bookmarks.

I actually do use Opera Next as my primary browser. For some reason, it's been more stable on my PC than Chrome, and all the extensions I have for Chrome besides Hangouts work fine with it. I've yet to encounter any site compatibility issues with it. I do wish I had more customization options, but Chrome has basically zero customization itself so whatever.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Yeah, I can see it being described as a better Chrome. Hell, that is all it is by definition anyhow.

I am considering moving my mother over to the new Opera since she doesn't really use any of the functionality that is missing in the new Opera; I sense it will run faster for her.

Is Opera Next relatively stable or do they often break it horribly?

Xenthalon
Jun 28, 2010
After using Opera for about 8 years, I moved over to Chrome a couple of weeks ago after trying a horrible, feature-free version of Opera Next.

That move took more time than completely setting up a new OS. Luckily there are enough extensions to replace all the features I used in Opera, so here is a list of the ones I am using now:

AdBlock Plus
Auto Refresh Plus
Magic Actions for Youtube
Smooth Gestures (takes a bit of configuration to set it up like Opera worked)
Speed Dial 2 (takes lots of configuration, especially the page logos, but I just love speed dial)
Tampermonkey (for all the userscripts I used to have in Opera)

There are some tools to export and import the bookmarks, so that part wasn't that bad.

Now I am fairly happy again, all the bookmarks and extensions are synced with my google account, and when I install a new Chrome somewhere, everything sets itself up. The configurations for some of the extensions can be exported as .xml and placed into Google Drive, so if I have to reformat I am up and running again in a couple of minutes, just like what Opera Link used to do.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Good news! Opera 20 has moved to the Next branch!
It brings such exciting new features like
  • Bookmarks bar – you can drag sites from speed dial and tabs
  • The URL bar badge shows a broken padlock if the site’s certificate is not valid
  • Advanced settings: use big speed dial thumbnails
  • Advanced settings: set width and height of speed dial thumbnails
  • Menu items for Speed Dial, Discover, and Stash

Oh man, are you as excited as I am? I don't even feel like strangling the current Opera board of directors anymore!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Is there an extension on any browser that recreates the very subtle autoscrolling of Opera.

All browsers mostly support auto scrolling, but they all go way too fast and don't seem to have freely adjustable scrolling speed, instead having only a few scrolling speeds which are "too fast", "holy poo poo that's fast" and

e: Oh, and at least Firefox's scrolling can be disabled by the site somehow, seeing as it doesn't work on imgur, while Opera's does.

Wheany fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 6, 2014

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Riso posted:

Good news! Opera 20 has moved to the Next branch!

Was this meant to be the version where you could show the full URL, ie everything after and including the '?', or should I still be waiting for that?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I don't know, and frankly, I don't care.

RIP Opera.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

EvilMoFo posted:

Holy poo poo, I just did the same. I've been using 12.16 for ages and thought I'd finally upgrade. Like 90% of the settings are gone, you can't move the tab bar, ctrl-tab is retarded, everything is bad. I had no idea this had happened and now I'm sad.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
The CEO who quit 2012 (after which poo poo started to go south really fast) recently gave a few interviews while promoting his new "MyOpera"-replacement site and he basically said that he still uses Opera 12 (as do a majority of Opera users apparently), is as sad and disappointed as everyone else with the nonsense the new management has been pushing for and thinks that every tech person smart enough to make that new direction actually work left years ago and now there's only business/ad people left pulling plugs wherever they can.

So despite all promises i wouldn't hold my breath that there'll ever be a return to the old feature set and usability. That Opera has been dead for years.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

EvilMoFo posted:

This at least is changeable in the secret opera://flags settings, at least in Opera Next v20. Maybe earlier?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

RoadCrewWorker posted:

So despite all promises i wouldn't hold my breath that there'll ever be a return to the old feature set and usability. That Opera has been dead for years.

I wonder if any of the previous good developers would be interested in contributing to Otter.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

RoadCrewWorker posted:

The CEO who quit 2012 (after which poo poo started to go south really fast) recently gave a few interviews while promoting his new "MyOpera"-replacement site and he basically said that he still uses Opera 12 (as do a majority of Opera users apparently), is as sad and disappointed as everyone else with the nonsense the new management has been pushing for and thinks that every tech person smart enough to make that new direction actually work left years ago and now there's only business/ad people left pulling plugs wherever they can.

Their latest financial report says revenue compared to a year ago is up from 60 MUSD to 90 MUSD, desktop revenue has been stable at 14 - 16 and mobile advertisement went from 20 to 45. Unless a miracle happens there's no way they'll possibly change course.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Oh dear, seems like Youtube has been updated again and now it's broken in Opera 12. Are they still maintaining browser.js because otherwise this might be it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Is it? Because I know with ExtendTube I'm having no problems.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wheany posted:

Oh dear, seems like Youtube has been updated again and now it's broken in Opera 12.

Seems to be working fine for me. :shrug:

Version 12.16
Build 1860
Platform Linux
System x86_64, 3.2.0-23-generic

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Question is: flash or html5 player?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Wheany posted:

Oh dear, seems like Youtube has been updated again and now it's broken in Opera 12. Are they still maintaining browser.js because otherwise this might be it.

Set this and you'll get a much nicer youtube page than the default one: https://www.youtube.com/feather_beta

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Okay, it was only a temporary glitch, fixed by restarting. Crisis averted, I can continue to be set in my old ways for a while longer.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh hey, the new development build, Opera 21, has a couple neat (small) things. The big one is probably them finally enabling Aura (newish framework involving hardware-accelerated rendering/drawing UI elements. If I remember it's been around in Chrome for awhile but disabled due to performance issues), but they also finally enabled an option to display the full url in the toolbar (which I actually like quite a bit :shobon:).

Personally I've still been using 12.16 and then very occasionally Firefox for some compatibility issues, and have a list of RSS readers I wanted to look at. Even if I don't migrate "back" to Opera I figure since there's no development I might as well knock off some of 12.16's footprint. Occasionally I'll use Opera dev for things that use HTML5 (mostly Grooveshark).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Someone tell jon tetzchner to fund work on the Otter browser.