Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iamthehans
May 1, 2012

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

A snow biome? If goons don't recreate the arctic base from The Thing, I'll be massively disappointed.:colbert:
I'm all over this as soon as its live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

iamthehans posted:

I'm all over this as soon as its live.

God drat do I hope they have some kind of tentacley horror to go with the new snow biome.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
-89, 59, -606

Location for the junkyard east of gravetown if you want airdrops there

Apache Chief
May 21, 2011
* and it is over

Apache Chief fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 11, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, now that some time has passed how would one compare this to Rust? Those who've tried both. I'm still not totally sold on the nastier PVP aspects…I'm more of a cooperative guy…but sometimes I make an exception, heh.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

So, now that some time has passed how would one compare this to Rust? Those who've tried both. I'm still not totally sold on the nastier PVP aspects…I'm more of a cooperative guy…but sometimes I make an exception, heh.

Can't speak for Rust personally, but for a friend, he tell me that Rust is very Alpha, in that it has piecemeal features, and about half of them work. A more detailed breakdown isn't worth the 30 bucks, from what I gather.

Care to update the server info in the OP? New players might look for LLJK and end up not finding explosionlust v:v:v

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Mistle posted:

Can't speak for Rust personally, but for a friend, he tell me that Rust is very Alpha, in that it has piecemeal features, and about half of them work. A more detailed breakdown isn't worth the 30 bucks, from what I gather.

Care to update the server info in the OP? New players might look for LLJK and end up not finding explosionlust v:v:v

Server is still called LLJK so they can still find it the same way.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I've found a new way of killing zombies. The atomic wedgie is quite effective.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Speedball posted:

Both games are in alpha stage, so they are missing a lot of content. The pvp aspect of both games is what makes them great. I prefer Rust, although I find 7 days to be very entertaining and a "better" minecraft.

Rust has much tighter gunplay, the controls feel amazing. Also the graphics are better. There is less things to do in Rust though. I would say it depends if you play with goons or other friends, and what they play. Both games suck if you're alone.

I'd say 7 days is too expensive for what it is, as Rust is about 10€ cheaper and about as fun. Also be prepared for Rust to change a lot, half the content is placeholders for stuff coming up.

Absorbs Smaller Goons fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 11, 2014

dimwit
Jan 30, 2011

There seems to be a misunderstanding
Something weird is going on between this game and my PC. For some reason I get huge, slideshow lags time to time and ladders are unclimbable in murderchurch after respawn. It's almost unplayable for me.
I think my 5870 and i7 860 should be enough for this game. Maybe I'll update my drivers or something.

MineNotPine
Feb 7, 2009
You can always try turning down the view distance so your computer isn't loading so much non-default map at once.

I keep running into a problem where I accidentally open the console and then an error dump occurs and repeats so fast that it doesn't let you close the window. Unfortunately I've found if you alt-F4 or close the program other than clicking "Quit" ALL of your progress is lost for that session.

The burnt out region (Blue stripe in the middle of the map) has turned out to be a great place to scavenge. Sports bags, purses, duffel bags and the like all stand out. The burnt out "corners" of buildings often hold an oven+trash pile or toilets to fill empty jars. The three-block high, fat trees in the area almost always have two blueberry bushes and a bird's nest.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

MineNotPine posted:

You can always try turning down the view distance so your computer isn't loading so much non-default map at once.

I keep running into a problem where I accidentally open the console and then an error dump occurs and repeats so fast that it doesn't let you close the window. Unfortunately I've found if you alt-F4 or close the program other than clicking "Quit" ALL of your progress is lost for that session.

The burnt out region (Blue stripe in the middle of the map) has turned out to be a great place to scavenge. Sports bags, purses, duffel bags and the like all stand out. The burnt out "corners" of buildings often hold an oven+trash pile or toilets to fill empty jars. The three-block high, fat trees in the area almost always have two blueberry bushes and a bird's nest.

This bug is also triggered by hitting tab to check the player list. It opens the console and spams the red error messages and crashes you. Ive stopped checking it now due to that.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

bad boys for life posted:

This bug is also triggered by hitting tab to check the player list. It opens the console and spams the red error messages and crashes you. Ive stopped checking it now due to that.

I get that bug a lot as well. You can get rid of it is by pressing Escape and Right-clicking which should get the console to go away for fractions of a second, and then have to try to Tab out of the player list. It might take a couple minutes to get it right because you'll probably end up Tabbing the player list closed and back open again, which will reset the bug.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Where are all you bums at? I'm the only one in mumble whenever I got on, and I can only dig and place TNT so fast.

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah more nerds need to come.

Cocoyofoo
Jun 6, 2006

Inkel posted:

I get that bug a lot as well. You can get rid of it is by pressing Escape and Right-clicking which should get the console to go away for fractions of a second, and then have to try to Tab out of the player list. It might take a couple minutes to get it right because you'll probably end up Tabbing the player list closed and back open again, which will reset the bug.

I seem to have some luck with F1, I need to rebind play list to pageup or something so I stop checking it out of habit and having the error pop up. Also I left click. with these combined tips I have defeated the null error in under 30 seconds every time. Happy Alphing!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Synnr posted:

Where are all you bums at? I'm the only one in mumble whenever I got on, and I can only dig and place TNT so fast.

My headset broke, which creates problems when trying to talk over mumble. :(

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Archonex posted:

My headset broke, which creates problems when trying to talk over mumble. :(

If it makes you feel better, I ordered a (very nice) set of headphones from Amazon and a mic from DealExtreme on the 3rd. I got the headset a couple days ago, and can now hear exactly which direction everything's coming from. The mic will be here as late as the 23rd, and I have no way of knowing when exactly, as I didn't shell out the $2 for a tracking number on a $3 clip on mic. :shepface:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Observer, Darth Sidious, Talran, and I were goofing off. We, uh, kind of lined the church with TNT, and were going to leave it rigged with an air filter mine to chain the whole building on the next pubbie to saunter in, but it got set off early.

The result was best explained thusly:

code:
[1:17:23] (Channel) TheObserver: THIS is what I bought the game to see!
Also, "ÅΩ"(Character map has listed as U+212B, U+03A9) was hacking in server, not not in a really dickish way. Unless giving pubbies guns and leaving poo poo tons of reinforced concrete everywhere counts.

Pubbies speak of a full wipe for Alpha 6. No idea if it'll fix a lot of holes, but I'm looking forward to a DOOM ICE HOUSE!

I still love how pubbies get pissy when they spawn on you, thinking you're their friend. We had three or so people do this and ragequit because of it :allears:

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Mistle posted:

I still love how pubbies get pissy when they spawn on you, thinking you're their friend. We had three or so people do this and ragequit because of it :allears:

I always love it when you see a pubbie and shoot them and they ask you why would you do that, its brilliant. That and claiming you are friendly then as soon as night falls destroying their bed and shooting them.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I wish there was a server history, I can't add a server to my favourites if I can't remember which one I joined. Which is usually the case by the time I've got all the sniper rifles and rocket launchers in Gravetown.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Mistle posted:

Observer, Darth Sidious, Talran, and I were goofing off. We, uh, kind of lined the church with TNT, and were going to leave it rigged with an air filter mine to chain the whole building on the next pubbie to saunter in, but it got set off early.

The result was best explained thusly:

code:
[1:17:23] (Channel) TheObserver: THIS is what I bought the game to see!
Also, "ÅΩ"(Character map has listed as U+212B, U+03A9) was hacking in server, not not in a really dickish way. Unless giving pubbies guns and leaving poo poo tons of reinforced concrete everywhere counts.

Pubbies speak of a full wipe for Alpha 6. No idea if it'll fix a lot of holes, but I'm looking forward to a DOOM ICE HOUSE!

I was in my super secret underground mine quite a few miles from any building, and not on any building > building walking paths, and I had a guy spawn right next to me. Scared the poo poo out of me and I almost shotgunned him in the face!

[edit] Is it possible to have more than 5 bandages / water bottles etc in a single pile? I'm almost out of backpack space because I have a lot of types of items.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 12, 2014

MineNotPine
Feb 7, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

[edit] Is it possible to have more than 5 bandages / water bottles etc in a single pile? I'm almost out of backpack space because I have a lot of types of items.

Yes, but only from crafting. Glass and forged metal makes empty water bottles that you can fill. If you have the resources to create a massive stack of glass from sand (Ex: 150) and forging metal (Ex: another 150) you can make a single stack of 150 empty bottles that you can turn into 150 water bottles in any toilet or water square.

Same applies to bandages, just go through the same process with aloe vera and the rest.

Making large stacks or waiting to transmute materials goes a long way to saving space. Don't convert books and don't pick up individual pieces of paper, so you can just end up with a single massive stack of paper. If you're big into mining hold onto the ore until you need to convert it.

Edit:

Figured I'd keep jawing

Aloe + empty jar = aloe cream | aloe cream + cloth fragment = bandages

The aloe cream heals you some, but bandages are much better/on par with painkillers

You can 'farm' cloth fragments and make the whole process renewable by turning plant fibers into awnings, each awning can be set down and broken to make 2 cloth fragments

MineNotPine fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 12, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Also, you can click crafting recipes to move reagents to the craft window- and keep clicking to make larger stacks. Then you can pull the stacked reagents off the crafting window and put them in your inventory. For example, Cornbread works great for stacking water.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MineNotPine posted:

You can 'farm' cloth fragments and make the whole process renewable by turning plant fibers into awnings, each awning can be set down and broken to make 2 cloth fragments

Best advice, this.

Cloth also makes sleeping bags and torches, you'll probably get more out of a well-placed torch than a bandage in a lot of situations.

Evilreaver posted:

Also, you can click crafting recipes to move reagents to the craft window- and keep clicking to make larger stacks. Then you can pull the stacked reagents off the crafting window and put them in your inventory. For example, Cornbread works great for stacking water.

Good as well. To note, you don't need to make a craft to get it to turn green(the one-click make function), just assemble it and have it show a result.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
Hey! I got a mention.

I don't know about the "we" part, since I only came in near the end, but good to see you repeatedly shooting down pubbies who answered...poorly to the "stairs" question.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
So, I guess today was another busy day on the server, as it seemed to be full, even set to 45, and stayed that way for several hours. Watching the "Connecting" screen was enough to make one nod off.

When I came to, I was in...this place.

Even deep underground I could feel the chill of the night and hear the screeching of the undead, and was grateful that whoever built - hewn this cavern had seemingly fortified it against the zombies.

All I had to do was wait until morning.

I had no want for food or drink...

Only peace from that damnable noise!

Finally, I could take it no longer.

Even if it meant my death, I would see with my own eyes what lie above, and perhaps know who built these caverns.

What I saw was...not what I expected.

My world spun. I couldn't tell if it was day or night.

As the blackness took me, one thing was terrifyingly clear.

It was Goons.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Good to see my temporary scrap repairs to the ruined Goontowers still hold.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Why doesn't that cavern collapse!?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Load bearing torches, probably.

No really, that's a thing that can happen.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Load-bearing torches can get hosed, they're the sole reason this tower had anything left standing. :argh:

MineNotPine
Feb 7, 2009
According to an article published today the 13th, The Fun Pimps are kicking rear end and pushing very hard to release the new Alpha 6 on the 12th.

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2014/01/13/creators-7-days-die-explain-make-friendlier-zombie-apocalypse/

Maybe we'll see it sometime this week. New map, new fun!

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

The article also said that player spawning would be controlled by whether friendly fire was on. If it's on you spawn away from people and if there is no friendly fire then you get what we have now

This pleases me

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Been away a few days playing METAL GEAR?! and when I logged back in, my tree fort had been replaced by a gigantic tangle of concrete, red metal, bedrock and a giant staircase into the sky.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Is Alpha 6 going to need a server reset?

All my pipebombs :(

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
So, I've been interested in this game for quite a while. My one issue? 35$ is a bit much. Is it worth the money?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

E-Tank posted:

So, I've been interested in this game for quite a while. My one issue? 35$ is a bit much. Is it worth the money?

Depends on how much you're willing to pay for a little bit of game and a shitton of emergent gameplay. I got it for $30 on sale, which for me was pretty much the maximum I wanted to spend on it.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Some guy on the Steam forums claims it's coming out at midnight today so only a few more hours. He also says it'll reset all maps completely because of new biomes and forging and all that stuff.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hmmm, will have to see how forging slows down the advance to picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Morglon posted:

Some guy on the Steam forums claims it's coming out at midnight today so only a few more hours. He also says it'll reset all maps completely because of new biomes and forging and all that stuff.

If it comes out in a few hours i'll reset the server and update immediately. Just post in the topic if it does.

I am loving psyched for this. Time to recreate the base from The Thing!

And leave it horribly undefended so that monsters constantly slip in to hunt the players inhabiting it.