Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

GraPar posted:

Very much enjoyed Episode 401 of this entertainment podcast, love Seth's relentless optimism at this time of year. Random bit of UYD synchronicity - 'The Air Up There' was a $2000 answer on Jeopardy yesterday.

To which I incorrectly answered Juwanna Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hrkac
May 21, 2004
ISO Hotty Boys ;-*
Update to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R26QD-wfU60:

Prep Star Who Survived Two Plane Crashes Returns To Court In Style

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Dear Seth,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHbk92G655k

This is the only video that matters

You're welcome

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Feel good of the year.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Dad was a real dick - at fault in both crashes:
http://www.wane.com/news/local/final-report-for-hatch-crash-released

What's the best way to get the older EPs that aren't on iTunes? I know someone posted about it a while back.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

WoG posted:

UYD episodes 1-159 (9.56GB zip). (I know, Mega's kind of janky, but dropbox has a bandwidth limit, and other options for a 10 gig file are limited. If one of you has an unmetered server, go ahead and rehost, or pm me an ftp login.)

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
If you use Firefox you can use DownThemAll on PodcastAlley:

Filter by audio files - done.

Edit:
I asked this a while ago, but where has the option to donate gone on the new site?

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 12, 2014

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Anyone got any other podcasts to recommend? I trust UYD fans not to point me to poo poo like Marc Maron. I've got a multi-day roadtrip coming up, but I've been working a job lately in which I can listen to podcasts while I work, so I'm just about tapped out. I listen to UYD, Welcome to Night Vale, and My Brother My Brother and Me. I sometimes listen to Stuff You Should Know, but I find that they kind of cover stuff in too cursory a fashion, so I often...well, know it already.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone got any other podcasts to recommend? I trust UYD fans not to point me to poo poo like Marc Maron. I've got a multi-day roadtrip coming up, but I've been working a job lately in which I can listen to podcasts while I work, so I'm just about tapped out. I listen to UYD, Welcome to Night Vale, and My Brother My Brother and Me. I sometimes listen to Stuff You Should Know, but I find that they kind of cover stuff in too cursory a fashion, so I often...well, know it already.

If you like SYSK, check out Caustic Soda. Three Canadians pick dark topics like homicide and chemical spills and explore them much like SYSK does but w/ more bad words and bad puns. I like their more casual nature.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

As someone who started off with UYD when it comes to podcasts and had to drift to other things once I'd totally exhausted UYD's archives, the only comedy podcasts that have worked with my sorta comedic taste and sensibility and not been totally cornball tryhard stuff like most of the Comedy Podcast thread are the aforementioned MBMBAM and The Bone Zone. The Bone Zone starts off with a certain vibe and then morphs from it once it changed sites and dropped its third member, so I'm not sure if it'd be the same draw or vibe getting into it from newer episodes rather than starting with earlier ones like I did, but it's still got some really great moments and the guests tend to work pretty well (especially whenever Johnny Pemberton or Melissa Villasenor are on). Right now it's UYD > TBZ > MBMBAM for me, since the latter got sorta samey for a little while (though 2014 seems promising).

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 13, 2014

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Anonymous Robot posted:

The Smartest Man in the World would definitely be worth checking out, Greg Proops riffs on current events and his personal life in front of a crowd without ever slowing down, plus every once in a while you get a heckler getting demolished. I couldn't get through an episode of My Brother My Brother and Me because it just seemed like an inferior UYD, but TSMITW is different enough within the format.

kidsam
Aug 12, 2007

YES
Theres only 16 episodes of it so far (and the last two were duds) but The Poundcast by DJ Douggpound can have a similar vibe to UYD with the right guests.

If you're a Tim & Eric fan you should know who he is and there's occasionally interesting background info on them but it's mostly people hanging out punctuated with endearing and terrible soundbites from Doug.

If you're interested a good place to start would be episode 3 with Brent Weinbach and a random teenager or episode 12 with Jonny Pemberton and Duncan Trussel. If those don't click with you the rest probably won't.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

If you like MBMBAM and Stuff You Should Know, you might want to check out Sawbones. It's made by Justin McElroy from MBMBAM and his wife, Sydnee McElroy. There is also the long-abandoned In Case of Emergency, which Travis McElroy co-hosted. Sawbones is about medical history and corny jokes, while In Case of Emergency is a how to guide for surviving pop-culture themed disasters.

And, if neither of those strike your fancy, you can always try Straight Lampin' with Schneer and Latern.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

The Bone Zone is really good. I still have a ton of episodes to go through but they are all rad

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
DVDASA is good

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

niethan posted:

DVDASA is good

Seconding this notion. It is a lot more chaotic, and sometimes the viewpoints of the hosts and guests are a bit iffy (they are all kind of close to misogyny, but I kinda feel like the hosts don't objectify just women, but everyone, which is at least an even handed stance), but otherwise it provides the same kind of laughs UYD does. If you want a soft intro to it, check out his guest spot on the Joe Rogan Experience, as DVDASA is more about Choe and Asa than anything else, and this ep gives you a good idea of what to expect from them. Yeah, Choe is kind of a douche, but he grows on you really fast. I really like the guy now.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
While this may induce skepticism from some, Jake & Amir's podcast If I Were You is consistently great (no, I don't find their internet videos particularly funny either). Definitely a similar dynamic between them as UYD: two best friends, one of whom with no self-control and the other beyond uptight (I realise that's a massive reduction of UYD but I'm trying to draw parallels here, people). It's ostensibly an advice podcast, but most of the show is just mocking the total lack of self-awareness of the question askers/talking about themselves. Worth listening from Episode 1 as there are a shitload of in-jokes, but they did release a Best Of recently. Oh, Ben Schwartz is on this week's too.

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
Other podcasts pretty much suck compared to UYD. Sorry.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Yeah there's no real comparison.

At all.

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home

Crescendo posted:

Other podcasts pretty much suck compared to UYD. Sorry.

I can't listen to any podcast other than UYD and The Bombcast.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUiTQvT0W_0

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I listen to roughly two dozen-plus Podcasts and I still hesitate to suggest anything to UYD listeners looking to branch out. There just isn't anything like it, seriously.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Power of Pecota posted:

The Smartest Man in the World would definitely be worth checking out, Greg Proops riffs on current events and his personal life in front of a crowd without ever slowing down, plus every once in a while you get a heckler getting demolished. I couldn't get through an episode of My Brother My Brother and Me because it just seemed like an inferior UYD, but TSMITW is different enough within the format.

Greg Proops and UYD are the only podcasts I listen to.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Under the vegetable posted:

Greg Proops and UYD are the only podcasts I listen to.

UYD only here. All others come across as forced.

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Splits posted:

I can't listen to any podcast other than UYD and The Bombcast.

The Bombcast is really good, but they talk about video games a lot. Not as much as you'd think though for a site focused on video games. UYD is hands down the best podcast/talk radio ever.

RustyTrombone fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 15, 2014

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I listen to a lot of comedy podcasts, but none of them are like UYD. Comedy Bang-Bang, Doug Loves Movies, Welcome to Night Vale, that sort of stuff. I like 'em all, but UYD is just one of a kind.

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW
Check out The Crabfeast, it's an interview show in the loosest sense; Ryan Sickler and Jay Larson bring on a guest each week just to bullshit and talk about whatever. It does have a theme, a crabfeast is a Maryland thing where you go out and catch a bunch of blue crabs and then sit around afterward cookin' em up and drinking beer, so the show is like that.

It's unlike UYD, I guess, but it's dudes telling funny as poo poo stories so whatevs, dawg

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
I mean, sure, I listen to other podcasts, but I don't recommend them to anyone. They just aren't as good as UYD and I feel they aren't worth mentioning. I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade.

---

One of the main reasons why other podcasts suck is that they let other people come on their show and talk about their lovely poo poo. Most people are lovely and unfunny, we know this. Who wants to listen to lovely guests, lovely listener calls, and lovely emails? It's all just distracting rubbish.

UYD has remained very pure in this regard. Seth and Jonathon have established a dynamic that certain people really like, and they've been smart enough right from the beginning to not let anything get in the way. UYD is unashamedly its own thing, and is almost completely undiluted by extraneous bullshit and listener detritus. Whether you like the show or not, this 'artistic integrity' and quality control (or whatever you want to call it) really makes UYD stand out as an experience.

For me, that's why I find it jarring to listen to other comedy podcasts. They just seem too 'try-hard'. :shrug:

Crescendo fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 15, 2014

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Crescendo posted:

I mean, sure, I listen to other podcasts, but I don't recommend them to anyone. They just aren't as good as UYD and I feel they aren't worth mentioning. I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade.

---

One of the main reasons why other podcasts suck is that they let other people come on their show and talk about their lovely poo poo. Most people are lovely and unfunny, we know this. Who wants to listen to lovely guests, lovely listener calls, and lovely emails? It's all just distracting rubbish.

UYD has remained very pure in this regard. Seth and Jonathon have established a dynamic that certain people really like, and they've been smart enough right from the beginning to not let anything get in the way. UYD is unashamedly its own thing, and is almost completely undiluted by extraneous bullshit and listener detritus. Whether you like the show or not, this 'artistic integrity' and quality control (or whatever you want to call it) really makes UYD stand out as an experience.

For me, that's why I find it jarring to listen to other comedy podcasts. They just seem too 'try-hard'. :shrug:

Yeah, that's very true. They seem to obviously go out of their way to not include a lot of listener content (to say nothing of the lack of guests), and when they do mention stuff from listeners always in the most glossed-over, vague terms possible. I think it works pretty well.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Yeah, that's very true. They seem to obviously go out of their way to not include a lot of listener content (to say nothing of the lack of guests), and when they do mention stuff from listeners always in the most glossed-over, vague terms possible. I think it works pretty well.

Do NOT forget Marcia.

And they did air a call.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The funny thing is, despite this, being able to call and talk to Seth is a way more intimate connection with one's audience than any other podcast.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
And jah giving his cellphone number for years. I used to love when he'd talk about texts he got from people, or when he asked that girl to go to a dance with a kid who texted him, that was cool (if it wasn't some weird dream I had)

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
And jah giving his cellphone number for years. I used to love when he'd talk about texts he got from people, or when he asked that girl to go to a dance with a kid who texted him, that was cool (if it wasn't some weird dream I had)

Roger Troutman
Jan 11, 2007

What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.
You dreaming again. :ohdear:

Marvin_Gardens
May 25, 2005

I think it's real. Feels real to me.

Everything's real, everything's legal now

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
We're going to Napa, bitches. gently caress you.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Biodome posted:

We're going to Napa, bitches. gently caress you.

Whatever

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Just had a nice phone call with Seth. Sending him stuff to restart the official UYD YouTube channel. He seemed down, but who knows.

Finger crossed.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Citizen Jerk posted:

You dreaming again. :ohdear:

Then it was a great dream and I want to go back to it. I want to live in a world where Jah tells a girl through the podcast that a 15 year old me wants to take her to a dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

yancy2010 posted:

Just had a nice phone call with Seth. Sending him stuff to restart the official UYD YouTube channel. He seemed down, but who knows.

Finger crossed.

what? restart? it stopped?