Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Really? I'd say outside of his work Odo was riddled with insecurities and confidence issues, he was just too ashamed and stubborn about admitting them.

Odo's faults are him discovering who he is and what he wants. So he's the superior "different" character. Though he's still an OCD goony goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DemeaninDemon posted:

Odo's faults are him discovering who he is and what he wants. So he's the superior "different" character. Though he's still an OCD goony goon.

And one with the power to bug and/or sneak into (as a chair) anybody's quarters, businesses, and ships at will with no oversight apparently.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tyson Tomko posted:

You have a really good point. Technically there is Rom but after a while he makes the transition from DUMBASS to idiot savant who gets a girl with huge titties

DATA: Counselor, I was hoping I might engage in discourse with you about a matter I find curious.

TROI: Certainly, Data. What seems to be the trouble?

DATA: What defining factors does a male human look for in a mate?

TROI: Well, it depends, Data. Personality, shared interests, confidence, intelligence, humour...

DATA: Hm.

TROI: What is it?

DATA: That does not correspond to my observations.

TROI: Your observations being...?

DATA: There is a positive statistical relationship between mammary size and male sexual interest.

TROI: Well, I wouldn't say that's--

DATA: Forgive me if I seem inordinately incredulous, but the correlation coefficient approaches 0.99999--

TROI: Okay, Data. Thank you, I don't need a lesson.

DATA: So are my observations... incorrect, counselor?

TROI: No, Data.

DATA: In that case-

TROI: Good-bye, Data.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Brawny posted:

DATA: Counselor, I was hoping I might engage in discourse with you about a matter I find curious.

TROI: Certainly, Data. What seems to be the trouble?

DATA: What defining factors does a male human look for in a mate?

TROI: Well, it depends, Data. Personality, shared interests, confidence, intelligence, humour...

DATA: Hm.

TROI: What is it?

DATA: That does not correspond to my observations.

TROI: Your observations being...?

DATA: There is a positive statistical relationship between mammary size and male sexual interest.

TROI: Well, I wouldn't say that's--

DATA: Forgive me if I seem inordinately incredulous, but the correlation coefficient approaches 0.99999--

TROI: Okay, Data. Thank you, I don't need a lesson.

DATA: So are my observations... incorrect, counselor?

TROI: No, Data.

DATA: In that case-

TROI: Good-bye, Data.

Fixed your user name for you

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Why does the Enterprise stop using the piloting panels that rotate out of the way with the little "psssh" noise? I mean, it's distracting and stupid but when has that ever been a reason to not use something in Star Trek.

Cynical answer: because TNG increasingly strove to be as bland and inoffensive as possible.

Real answer: my guess is they tended to break or otherwise gently caress up shots in a way that took up time, and the producers decided "gently caress it, make 'em solid".

I also liked the pop-up touchpads on the first season captain's chair. Supposedly the chair was replaced because the upholstery was noisy or something.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hard Clumping posted:

During my week on painkillers I watched the TNG Season 1 episode "The Big Goodbye," for the first time in maybe ten years, and that last scene was just so god drat bizarre. I have to imagine Gene, Rick, and D.C. being hopped up on something, spending four hours laughing at the idea of Picard wearing a suit on the bridge saying gibberish, and wrote an entire episode to support that one scene. It was incredible. That's all they had to do. They just kinda left after that.

Gene was abusing pills and liquor pretty heavily by the time they were writing TNG season 1.

That said, it probably wasn't a mutual smoke session, since he was abusing the staff pretty heavily too. :smith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Gene was abusing pills and liquor pretty heavily by the time they were writing TNG season 1.

Gene was abusing pills and liquor (and cocaine) pretty heavily by the mid-'70s.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Timby posted:

Gene was abusing pills and liquor (and cocaine) pretty heavily by the mid-'70s.

That how we got TAS?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Let's not forget the state of television evolves over time. Sure, DS9 and TNG may have shared some time on tv, but TNG started in 1987, and DS9 didn't really get that good until TNG was off the air. DS9 was excellent, but the winds of change were already in the air, so to speak.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Indeed, I think that comparing DS9 to TNG isn't the way to go. You need to look at DS9 vs Babylon 5. The shows were on at the same time, had similar premises, and shared a number of actors and directors. The creators on both shows were clearly aware of the other, and I can't help but feel that developments in one show affected the other.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

jng2058 posted:

Indeed, I think that comparing DS9 to TNG isn't the way to go. You need to look at DS9 vs Babylon 5. The shows were on at the same time, had similar premises, and shared a number of actors and directors. The creators on both shows were clearly aware of the other, and I can't help but feel that developments in one show affected the other.

The rumor is that people at the network were given the B5 bible, as they were interested in it, but turned them down in favor of DS9. Those in charge of B5 claimed the network stole many of their ideas in creating DS9.

I don't care much for rumors though and, in my mind, DS9 is supreme above all science-fiction television

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

Let's not forget the state of television evolves over time. Sure, DS9 and TNG may have shared some time on tv, but TNG started in 1987, and DS9 didn't really get that good until TNG was off the air. DS9 was excellent, but the winds of change were already in the air, so to speak.

It's really interesting to see how a lot of these shows had overlapping air times and you can clearly see Trek's quality just stopping in its tracks from the end of DS9 to mid-Enterprise despite the growing trends.

TNG runs 87-94
DS9 runs 93-99
Babylon 5 runs 94-98
Farscape runs 99-2003
VOY runs 95-2001
ENT runs 01-05
BSG runs 04-09

There's certainly something to be said on TNG revitalizing syndicated scifi television and B5 and DS9 really pushing towards the more serialized future. But VOY and ENT didn't pick up anything from DS9. By the time ENT was finishing up its run, BSG was getting higher ratings despite being on SciFi and ENT being on (a now defunct) broastcast network.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

There's a number of co-incidences between the shows, true, but I think it's just convergant ideas rather than blatant theft. Like, Sisko is right away established as part of the Bajoran faith whereas Sinclair does not turn out to be Minbari Jesus for a while. (Sure, Kosh calls him Entil'za Valen in the pilot movie, but ehhhh :v:)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Both on a space station, both gain some kind of super-war ship in S3, both lack enough Walter Koenig airtime...

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

MrL_JaKiri posted:

both lack enough Walter Koenig airtime...

Preach it

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Also, to TNG's credit, they really did do some interesting and better things with the characters from Season 3 onward, even if the characters themselves remained rather static. Like Tapestry, or Lower Decks. God drat great episodes, those.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Thwomp posted:

Farscape runs 99-2003

What happened dad?

*stern face* September the 11th.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPoqNeR3_UA

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I watched a Voyager again today. In this one, the crew discovers that they are actually clones of the Voyager crew, and that their new warp core is slowly killing them, but the process is irreversible. So they go through weeks or horror and torture as their friends die one by one until Harry Kim is the only one left, and then he tries one last ditch effort to get help from the real Voyager crew. They finally receive the distress call and go to its location, only to find nothing but clone goo left.

I liked it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Of course, Inquisition opens with O'Brien dislocating his shoulder and everyone rolling their eyes and saying "again?" because this is how every episode should have opened.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Of course, Inquisition opens with O'Brien dislocating his shoulder and everyone rolling their eyes and saying "again?" because this is how every episode should have opened.

The person who makes those "O'Brien never gets to leave the transporter room" comics should do a strip where he dislocates his shoulder for no good reason and can't leave the transporter room to go get it healed.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Cobalt Chloride posted:

I watched a Voyager again today. In this one, the crew discovers that they are actually clones of the Voyager crew, and that their new warp core is slowly killing them, but the process is irreversible. So they go through weeks or horror and torture as their friends die one by one until Harry Kim is the only one left, and then he tries one last ditch effort to get help from the real Voyager crew. They finally receive the distress call and go to its location, only to find nothing but clone goo left.

I liked it.

Wow. That does sound good.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

Wow. That does sound good.

The best part is that Clone Janeway basically killed them by refusing to go back to their planet of origin because they needed to get to Earth :downs:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cobalt Chloride posted:

I liked it.
The most pointless VOY episode

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The most pointless VOY episode

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/11:59_%28episode%29

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

For anyone too lazy to click, it's the one where Janeway spends 40 minutes talking about how her ancestor did some awesome thing. At the end, Paris says "That literally never happened."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

For anyone too lazy to click, it's the one where Janeway spends 40 minutes talking about how her ancestor did some awesome thing. At the end, Paris says "That literally never happened."

Worse than that, the episode tells us that it doesn't matter if something never happened, as long as it makes us feel great. gently caress Voyager. Just gently caress it. 11:59 is the true worst of Voyager. At least Threshold had some genuinely impressive make-up work for the Tom Paris turns into a newt body-horror aspect going for it. What's 11:59's excuse?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Seven of Nine understands religion now, because she found a magical God particle in space. Whatever, Voyager.

It doesn't help that the next Star Trek to air after that episode (which I'm watching now) was In the Pale Moonlight. It's like "Just as a reminder, this is the show to which you should compare Voyager. Why are you watching it again?"

edit: also, wow, that was probably in my top 10 favorite episodes of the entire franchise :stare:

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 14, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Oh hey, Dr. Phlox is in this serious version of Chuck starring the snarky southern guy from Lost.

I hope he's less of a weirdo pervert here than in TrueBlood.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Cobalt Chloride posted:

I liked it.
That remains one of the few Voyager episodes I actually remember watching during its first broadcast and thinking "Wow, that was pretty good." The one good use of the reset button.

That Voyager episode I had literally completely forgotten about, and now all I can remember is being especially angry and how boring and pointless it all was. Same for the episode where Janeway teaches hologram Leonardo da Vinci important life lessons and self-confidence. He's a hologram Janeway, you know he's a hologram, and he's not even a special magic self-aware hologram like Moriarty, what the hell are you doing?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Cobalt Chloride posted:

I liked it.

Eh, from how you're talking you missed the prequel episode, S4E24, "Demon." They're not exactly clones, they're duplicates formed out of this bio-mimetic fluid they found on some super nasty planet. At the end of the episode you see a bunch of Voyager crew standing around while Voyager itself takes off and leaves. I'm still wondering how much fluid you needed to copy an entire starship!

What's even worse is that they could have survived if they just went down to the planet and gave the miners the finger.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
What's this about the Emmy-Award-Winning episode Threshold? The Voyager episode so great it won an Emmy over DS9's "The Visitor."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Instant Sunrise posted:

What's this about the Emmy-Award-Winning episode Threshold? The Voyager episode so great it won an Emmy over DS9's "The Visitor."

For make-up.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hey, that makeup did own. It's not the makeup department's fault the script blew :colbert:

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Watching "In Theory," in which the emotionless android asks the autistic virgin for advice on bedding a subordinate officer.

startrek.txt

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Knormal posted:

That Voyager episode I had literally completely forgotten about, and now all I can remember is being especially angry and how boring and pointless it all was. Same for the episode where Janeway teaches hologram Leonardo da Vinci important life lessons and self-confidence. He's a hologram Janeway, you know he's a hologram, and he's not even a special magic self-aware hologram like Moriarty, what the hell are you doing?

Another interesting what-if plot for an actually interesting Voyager series: the crew, in an attempt to maintain their sanity and stave off space madness, latch onto the holodeck as an escape. Some are alright but others, like Janeway, become so attached to their holodeck fantasies/companions that they become dependent on it to remain functional on the ship. Riots break out once the holodeck finally breaks down (this is in a series where ship systems are gradually breaking down and systems get prioritized by need).

:sigh:

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
It was always kind of neat in the first season when they had to fish out resources, their stuff was running low, power etc. The whole reason Neelix had his kitchen was to limit replicator use.

After that, power just never became an issue.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Knormal posted:

Maybe she was really teaching lessons.... to herself.

Nah, they just wanted to use John Rhys-Davies an as usual, the writers did it the laziest way possible, through the Holodeck. Then broke the Holodeck rules and had him get kidnapped by aliens.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So does 'Wolf in the Fold' place Trek and Twin Peaks in the same universe?

I would love to see this revisited in NuTrek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Mah, they just wanted to use John Rhys-Davies an as usual, the writers did it the laziest way possible, through the Holodeck. Then broke the Holodeck rules and had him get kidnapped by aliens.

To be fair "Leonardo da Vinci gets kidnapped by aliens" doesn't sound like an implausible holodeck scenario. Kind of like all the with-zombies or with-vampires schlock that gets published now.

• Locked thread