Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

French onion soup, how do I do it? There are tons of recipes and variations but it seems like the idea is to caramelize your onions then add wine and stock. Some recipes show the wine being completely optional. Some call for chicken stock, others call for beef stock, and from my understanding beef stock is more classical and it happens to be what I have on hand. Some recipes say you should simmer off all the wine first before adding the stock, others don't say that. Some use a flour to thicken the onions, and others don't.

I said f' it all last night and tried to just improvise and caramelized onions and added a 2:1 ratio of stock to wine at the same time and I had to throw away the entire thing cause it was just onion beef flavored warm wine.

Help me GWS, I'm so confused.

I tried to make good french onion soup for years until Ruhlman showed me the light: http://ruhlman.com/2011/10/french-onion-soup-recipe/

No stock, only a bit of wine, just a lot of onions and a looooooooooooong cooking time to make them flavorful. I typically let the onions go for at least an hour, frequently longer. And keep in mind when he says 7 or 8 onions, he doesn't mean those little baby apple-sized onions, he means the huge Spanish onions that weigh a pound each. Eight pounds of onions is the right amount of onions. Don't skimp, they're cheap.

That recipe is the first ever non-baking recipe that I follow absolutely to a t with no modifications. I'm one of those fuckers who wants to throw in a bunch of spices or make wacky substitutions or use up leftovers or whatever, and this one just . . . . doesn't need them. It's perfect on it's own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

GrAviTy84 posted:

Edit. Remember when you cook with wine that you need to cook out a majority of the alcohol before serving lest it taste like warm wine :)

I was under the impression that most of the alcohol remains behind and it's a complete myth that it "cooks out".

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Scientastic posted:

I was under the impression that most of the alcohol remains behind and it's a complete myth that it "cooks out".

As long as there's an escape for alcohol vapor most of it will cook away, but it will never ever completely cook away. Anyone with a medical reason to avoid alcohol (liver issues, etc) should avoid foods cooked with alcohol- or so I've been told by medical professionals. Relatedly I've never really had any experience cooking with wine or any sort of alcohol, due to various people around me. Hope to start experimenting with stuff like that onion soup soon, even if it means I'm just cooking for myself. Or start finding nice enough vinegars I can do a substitution with.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Alcohol cook-off percentage chart:
http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blalcohol12.htm

Electron Voltaire
Oct 27, 2010
I got a $50 gift card to Williams-Sonoma for Christmas - could I get some suggestions on how to spend it? I'm willing to spend up to another $50 on top of the gift card. My kitchen is pretty well stocked (I cook and bake) but maybe you guys could suggest something cool I haven't thought of. :)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Electron Voltaire posted:

I got a $50 gift card to Williams-Sonoma for Christmas - could I get some suggestions on how to spend it? I'm willing to spend up to another $50 on top of the gift card. My kitchen is pretty well stocked (I cook and bake) but maybe you guys could suggest something cool I haven't thought of. :)

If it was me I'd buy a potato ricer because it's not something I want to drop money on myself, but I've wished I had one a few times.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Oh man I never thought to look up a specific alcohol substitution list, that link is helpful. I should stop forsaking about.com

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

The fiance and I are getting hitched and we're trying to build our registry. One of the things we thought would be extremely useful around the kitchen was a mandolin. We're both freaks about "made in america" products so we're trying to locate a quality one to put on our registry. I poked around Amazon and found mostly non-USA or flimsy plastic ones(or from my previous mandolin experience, plastic seems lovely).

Does anyone have any suggestions. Amazon allows for outside linking for their registry so even a 3rd party site should be fine. No looking for $300 ones..if they exist. Under $100 I'd imagine?

Edit: Looking to use it on potatoes, onions, carrots, tomatoes mainly.

Duxwig fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 13, 2014

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Thanks for all the response re: french onion soup. I think I'm gonna give that no broth version a try next weekend. I don't have a pressure cooker yet but that's the next big thing I'm going to buy.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
The longer you cook those onions for, the better. French onion soup rules.

I usually do half beef half chicken personally. The best trick I learned from a friend was to use marsala.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Duxwig posted:

The fiance and I are getting hitched and we're trying to build our registry. One of the things we thought would be extremely useful around the kitchen was a mandolin. We're both freaks about "made in america" products so we're trying to locate a quality one to put on our registry. I poked around Amazon and found mostly non-USA or flimsy plastic ones(or from my previous mandolin experience, plastic seems lovely).

The best mandoline is plastic and made in Japan.

http://www.amazon.com/Benriner-BN3-Wide-Body-Large-Slicer/dp/B00032RZNK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389580644&sr=8-1&keywords=super+benriner

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

"What's wrong Doc?"
"Look here, it says 'Made in Japan'." :rolleyes:
"What're you talking about Doc; all the best stuff comes from Japan."

:haw:

Is ~$50 typical for a not-stainless steel, restaurant-issue mandolin? 'Cause I wouldn't mind one myself... I want to try pickling ginger at some point.

Also, using pot barley instead of grits for Alton's Barley and Lamb Stew shouldn't be a big deal, right?

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 13, 2014

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

For ginger you can use the smaller one.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Do any Chicago based GWS'rs know of any good kitchen/restaurant supply stores? I'm looking to upgrade and add to my kitchen compliment of equipment. I'm looking for some solid utilitarian grade equipment, no Bed Bath & Beyond stuff that is all about paying more for who's face is on the box. I need a store that has whole aisles of sauciers and sheet pans and crockery. Something like that.

Thanks,

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

holttho posted:

Do any Chicago based GWS'rs know of any good kitchen/restaurant supply stores? I'm looking to upgrade and add to my kitchen compliment of equipment. I'm looking for some solid utilitarian grade equipment, no Bed Bath & Beyond stuff that is all about paying more for who's face is on the box. I need a store that has whole aisles of sauciers and sheet pans and crockery. Something like that.

Thanks,

Check out Northwestern Cutlery: http://www.nwcutlery.com/

It's on Late and Halsted, just off of the green/pink line and just outside the loop. I went there once last fall to get a knife sharpened, and they seem to specialize in knives, but they have a bunch of other general kitcheny things too. I think they also have parking.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

What do you guys like to do with daikon other than pickle it?

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Just made some fried mac and cheese, and while it was awesome, by the time I got to the last piece it had a really gross vegetable oil taste. I'm assuming it got that way from sitting in the oil on the plate that leaked out of the other pieces. Is there any way I can change my frying to prevent this, or do I just need to switch oils?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

door Door door posted:

Just made some fried mac and cheese, and while it was awesome, by the time I got to the last piece it had a really gross vegetable oil taste. I'm assuming it got that way from sitting in the oil on the plate that leaked out of the other pieces. Is there any way I can change my frying to prevent this, or do I just need to switch oils?

How do you drain them, that's the most important thing, do you put them on a rack to drip?

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Yeah, after coming out of the fryer place them on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil on the surface or even better, on a rack placed upside down over paper towels (to get dripping and wicking action).

Another thing to consider is if it is too oily even then, you are frying at too low a temperature and oil is getting absorbed. You may be starting at an appropriate temp but then either added too much at once or started on a new batch too soon so that the oil didn't recover from the temperature drop once food is added.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

I just had them on a rack. Never thought of using both a paper towel and a rack but that's a pretty good idea. The oil was right around 300 for most of the time, but I guess that might be a bit low. Most of my experience with frying is from chicken which I do at 325.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Yeah, definitely low; chicken is a particular bitch because it needs to cook all the way through, has bones, etc etc. Something like fried mac and cheese, you should definitely do 350ish.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

mich posted:

Yeah, after coming out of the fryer place them on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil on the surface or even better, on a rack placed upside down over paper towels (to get dripping and wicking action).

Another thing to consider is if it is too oily even then, you are frying at too low a temperature and oil is getting absorbed. You may be starting at an appropriate temp but then either added too much at once or started on a new batch too soon so that the oil didn't recover from the temperature drop once food is added.

Hey, check this out. Apparently the greasiness you associate with badly fried foods is a combination of the oil absorbed, PLUS the water left over from not frying at a hot enough temperature to displace it! The hotter you fry, the more oil the food absorbs. Just thought I'd toss that out there since it blew my mind when I read about that myth getting busted.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Also if your oil is slightly rancid then any excess would be way too much.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
What can I do with this half bag of marjoram I've got?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Got a couple garlic heads, a yellow onion and 2lb of top roast to make some chili with (along with the tomatoes, beans and seasoning). Couple quick questions-

- How much garlic do I want to use? Now that I think on it I probably don't want all of both heads--maybe just two cloves even?

- Do I want to cook the onions/garlic in any way before throwing it all in the slow cooker for a few hours? Maybe while browning the meat in the skillet or something? Honestly never used them raw in cooking before v:shobon:v

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Got a couple garlic heads, a yellow onion and 2lb of top roast to make some chili with (along with the tomatoes, beans and seasoning). Couple quick questions-

- How much garlic do I want to use? Now that I think on it I probably don't want all of both heads--maybe just two cloves even?

- Do I want to cook the onions/garlic in any way before throwing it all in the slow cooker for a few hours? Maybe while browning the meat in the skillet or something? Honestly never used them raw in cooking before v:shobon:v

depends on what you want out of the garlic. You can put it in whole and they will cook up milder and sweeter or you can mince them or pound them into a puree which will be more intense and aggressive. I would sear off the beef in batches, transferring the seared meat into the crock pot, then sweat the onion in the beef fat. Then deglaze this searing pan with some whiskey. Rye or bourbon are great in chili. Beer works well, too, don't use anything really bitter though. Tequila also works. If you are sensitive to alcohol, just some beef stock or even water works fine. I would mince half a heads worth of garlic and add it directly to the cooker.

Dry toast the spices before grinding them and add them directly to the cooker.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I'm a fan of mixing up garlic flavors. I would saute some with the onion, slice some and add it to the slow cooker, and roast some and add it to the slow cooker.

For a 2lb chili, I'd use at least one head of garlic, maybe both...but I am a garlic monster.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks folks, chili on the way with one head of garlic :)

(and sans onion... first time using a food processor for the chopping task and it turned into kind of a puree because I'm an idiot. Oh well :saddowns:)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

(and sans onion... first time using a food processor for the chopping task and it turned into kind of a puree because I'm an idiot. Oh well :saddowns:)

I'd add the puree anyway...

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

I've just started graduate school and am living on my own for the first time. I have a slow cooker; do you guys have any suggestions for good slow cooker meals that have my daily requirements of vegetables, protein, and carbs all together? I'm trying to start simple.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Do you have a kitchen, or do you ONLY have a slow cooker? If you've got a kitchen with a fridge and a stove, a slow cooker stew would last you 3-5 days depending on the size of your appetite and slow cooker. You can also do a number of beans & rice dishes and then have a simple salad with them for vegetable intake. I do not have recipes but you should be able to find what you're looking for on sites like allrecipes. Here is a blog specializing in slow cooker recipes as well. Also it's important to note that most meats will taste way, way better if you sear them on a stovetop before slow cooking them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

What phthalocyanine said. My personal recommendation is making red beans and rice in one. You can add more or less meat depending on what you want and you can make rice in a stovetop or the microwave if you really need to. It's cheap as gently caress, tasty and filling. For me it's the #1 go to when budget is a concern.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Thank you for the suggestion.
Do you happen to know of any higher quality USA ones?

We are aiming for an American made wedding due to our types of employment being directly related to American jobs, and having the fun of making an all American product registry.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Turkeybone posted:

Yeah, definitely low; chicken is a particular bitch because it needs to cook all the way through, has bones, etc etc. Something like fried mac and cheese, you should definitely do 350ish.

Gotcha. Kept it around 300 hundred because it was in a skillet and didn't want it to splatter too much. Guess I'll use a stockpot next time so I can crank the heat. Thanks.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Duxwig posted:

Thank you for the suggestion.
Do you happen to know of any higher quality USA ones?

We are aiming for an American made wedding due to our types of employment being directly related to American jobs, and having the fun of making an all American product registry.

You're weird.

I have an OXO mandoline that I got for about 40 bucks, it cleans easy and came with a couple blades. The store also had a more expensive one from the same brand, think that was ~80.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

OXO products are manufactured in China. Duxwig is going to have a hard time finding much kitchenware that meets his economically anachronistic needs.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
The closest I can find so far is the Microplane Slicer with blades made in the USA but is assembled in Mexico: http://us.microplane.com/microplaneadjustableslicer.aspx

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'm not going to make fun of someone for wanting to support their fellow Americans.

I make people buy my American product by dominating my competition, but Oxo or whoever is free to do what they want.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Kenning posted:

OXO products are manufactured in China. Duxwig is going to have a hard time finding much kitchenware that meets his economically anachronistic needs.

My bad I guess, I just glanced at their wikipedia page and it said New York

Chard fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
I recently bought a himalayan salt block, mostly out of curiosity, and I'm looking for some tips on cooking indoors with it. I don't have access to a grill, and I've got an electric range, so I'm limited to heating the thing in my oven.

The first time I used it, I heated it up very slowly, starting at ~200 degrees and increasing gradually to 400 over a couple hours. Cooked up some thinly sliced ribeye really nicely, but it got cold quickly. The second time, I kept it in the oven for nearly 2 hours at 400 degrees, and then 30 minutes at 450 degrees, and it still didn't seem to stay very hot!

I had figured it cooled quickly the first time due to the fact that I put it in a cookie sheet, and that on my granite countertop, which I figured was acting as a heat sink. The second time, I put it on the cookie sheet, and then put that on a small wooden cutting board. It still wasn't very hot, in my opinion. I was barely able to cook on it for 10 minutes before it wasn't appreciably hot (no sizzling of any sort when I dropped some squash on it).

Salt block heroes: how do you heat your blocks indoors, and keep them hot? What should I try cooking? So far I seem to really love squash, and the ribeye wasn't bad.