Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

bisticles posted:

Weird, this sounds like a great idea and it doesn't seem to be an option on the 5D3. Anyone know a way, or if it has been added in the latest firmware?

5d3 already has fed on the iso button. You have the CF menu to change the custom mappings, but on that specific model, you can't change set to fec in the custom functions though... because reasons. You can set it to a bunch of less useful functions, though.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

BrosephofArimathea posted:

5d3 already has fed on the iso button. You have the CF menu to change the custom mappings, but on that specific model, you can't change set to fec in the custom functions though... because reasons. You can set it to a bunch of less useful functions, though.

Crap, you're right I just looked at it again on my PC and not my ipad. I counted the rows wrong, the available option for SET was ISO, not FEL. FEL is available on the ISO button though like it was on my old 10D (shared with metering mode there, but on the top control row)

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Ooooh, it shares the ISO button. Good to know! I routinely use a 600EX-RT in ETTL mode for fast-paced on-location shoots, and while the menus on the new Canon flashes are great, it's still a fair amount of hassle adjusting the FEC level on the fly. Thanks guys.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Tamron 150-600mm is getting me AMPED UP. Sure its f/5-6.3 but if it can maintain 5.6 up to 400mm and at least challenge the 100-400mmL there then holy balls. Also less than $1100??? And the price is sure to drop too, just look what is happening to the 24-70mm 2.8 VC. Must...have...reviews....

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Seamonster posted:

Tamron 150-600mm is getting me AMPED UP. Sure its f/5-6.3 but if it can maintain 5.6 up to 400mm and at least challenge the 100-400mmL there then holy balls. Also less than $1100??? And the price is sure to drop too, just look what is happening to the 24-70mm 2.8 VC. Must...have...reviews....

I'm definitely intrigued as well, but I'm also holding off to see what the rumored Sigma telephoto primes are going to look like. Given the price and performance of the 120-300/2.8, I'd love to see a sharp 300/2.8 plus a TC come in below $3k.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'm definitely intrigued as well, but I'm also holding off to see what the rumored Sigma telephoto primes are going to look like. Given the price and performance of the 120-300/2.8, I'd love to see a sharp 300/2.8 plus a TC come in below $3k.

That would be awesome but I would bet their 300 2.8 prime will probably be 3300-3600 or so based on the 120-300 pricing. I don't think they would make it significantly cheaper than the zoom. What will be even more awesome is that it should also drive down the prices of used Canon gear. Right now Canon 300 2.8 IS v1's are hovering around 4000 on ebay; a cheaper, newer competitor should devalue those some. I'm hoping that the rumours of a sigma 500 and 600 f4 are true for similar reasons.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Seamonster posted:

Broken english, but still useful: http://it.wyswig.com/2014/01/02/review-tamron-sp-150-600mm-f5-6-3-di-vc-usd-english-review/

I think Tamron are going to sell a lot of these.

[edit] Just found actual picture comparisons
http://camahoy.com/2014/01/06/tamron-sp-150-600mm-vc-sp-usd-vs-canon-ef-400mm-f5-6l-usm/

800peepee51doodoo posted:

a cheaper, newer competitor should devalue those some. I'm hoping that the rumours of a sigma 500 and 600 f4 are true for similar reasons.
I hope they wait a bit. I'm planning to sell my 600 for a 500 mk ii this year.

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 11, 2014

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Probably dumb, but if I picked up an EOS-3, it would work with any EF lens I currently own right? I'm hoping to invest in a 6D soon anyway and I love shooting film, so it'd be great to pick up something that'd let me utilize my current lens setup.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

GobiasIndustries posted:

Probably dumb, but if I picked up an EOS-3, it would work with any EF lens I currently own right? I'm hoping to invest in a 6D soon anyway and I love shooting film, so it'd be great to pick up something that'd let me utilize my current lens setup.

That would be the EOS claim to fame. Any canon lens should work just fine - no guarantees on third party reverse engineered stuff.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

timrenzi574 posted:

That would be the EOS claim to fame. Any canon lens should work just fine - no guarantees on third party reverse engineered stuff.

Very cool. Almost all of my lenses are first-party; is there any site that I can check to see if my 3rd party stuff (namely my 70-300 Tamron) works?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

GobiasIndustries posted:

Very cool. Almost all of my lenses are first-party; is there any site that I can check to see if my 3rd party stuff (namely my 70-300 Tamron) works?

Not that I know of, and lenses sometimes vary depending on revision what works and doesn't on what bodies. It's relatively rare when it does happen so I wouldn't worry too much, just something to keep in mind

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of a solar-powered way to charge my T3i's batteries? Anything I could charge a phone with would be nice as well.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM or Tamron SP AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD (for use on a 650D)?

Price difference is about £20 in favour of the Canon but I think I remember the Tamron being recommended in this thread? Anyone got any experience of both?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
The Tamron is better all around up to about 150mm and from then on the Canon has better center quality but worse edges and corners. You can use in camera chromatic aberation correction with the Canon. Good if you're shooting jpeg most of the time.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Drunk Badger posted:

Anyone know of a solar-powered way to charge my T3i's batteries? Anything I could charge a phone with would be nice as well.

In terms of weight you're almost certainly better off bringing a couple extra batteries instead, I'd imagine. Battery life on DSLRs is thousands of shots per charge, while anything portable is definitely going to be on the "slow charge" side of things.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alternative power is useful if you're going to be away from the grid for any period.

In my case a dc-to-ac converter that plugs into a cigarette lighter has always been sufficient as I always have a vehicle available, but that may not work for everyone.

If you hunt around you can also get Canon battery chargers that plug into the cigarette lighter directly, just in case the dc-ac-dc conversion offends your inner nerd.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

xzzy posted:

If you hunt around you can also get Canon battery chargers that plug into the cigarette lighter directly, just in case the dc-ac-dc conversion offends your inner nerd.
I bought one of these while in Indonesia and it seems to have reduced the capacity of batteries I used in it. Haven't really quantified this but it just feels like they run out faster now after having charged them with the car adapter.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Headhunter posted:

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM or Tamron SP AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD (for use on a 650D)?

Price difference is about £20 in favour of the Canon but I think I remember the Tamron being recommended in this thread? Anyone got any experience of both?

I've got a ton of experience with the Tamron (on an XSi) and it's a fantastic lens. Unless it's urgent, you might want to wait a bit to see if Tamron comes out with a coupon as they tend to do periodically. I got ~150 off my order, though I don't know about UK coupon frequency.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Apparently there's now a patent from Canon for automatic microfocus adjustments. Of course, it's a Google translation of the Japanese patent and makes only so much sense.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/01/patent-microadjustment-automated/

Which makes me wonder, why isn't there such a calibration mode already? I mean, the cameras can do LiveView. They could use LV and match its contrast focusing against what the PD sensor says and adjust like that? Say, the calibration starts in LV, tries to achieve maximum contrast in the focus areas, then pops down the mirror and sees what the PD sensor says. Then the other way around, it focuses with PD, then starts LV and sees how much it needs to correct.

--edit: Looking at it another time, the Engrish says just that. So... :shobon:

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

BrosephofArimathea posted:

After a two weeks with my new 6D, initial impressions are pretty positive.

* The image quality is outstanding - coming from a 7D and 5D2, it's quite a jump. I'll happily smash out frames at 6400.
* Frame rate is enough for me. I loved 8fps, but I don't really need it
* AF is quick and accurate, but I only ever use centre point anyway. It really will focus in moonlight
* Wireless is simple and works well, but it's kinda useless. If you are in the studio, you might as well use a cord. If you are out and about, you might as well use a corded remote and save your batteries. Still, it's pretty cool.
* GPS works. I guess it would be good on holiday or something.
* It's surprisingly quiet. I dunno, the shutter sound isn't what I expected, in a good way.
* god drat I love a locking mode dial

The biggest complaint I really have is that it's needlessly crippled. Like, why the hell can't you assign two functions to the top button (one controlled with the top wheel, one with the back wheel)? There is zero cost involved, it's just product differentiation. So now FEC is buried in a menu somewhere.

Same goes for the in camera HDR/multiexposure. There is no need for these to be jpeg only. If I ever used either, it would be annoying.

Overall, the controls are kind of rear end compared to the 7D. I miss the joystick. The little directional controller nestled in the back control ring is fussy as hell to use. Same goes for the playback mode losing the magnifying glass.

There is no PC terminal, which means sticking a stupid thing in the hotshoe so Canon could save like a dollar. I'm not asking for built in radio master or anything.

The SD card keeps flying out when I press it. Eventually, one is going in the ocean or off a building.

---------

Overall, it's a really nice piece of equipment, with a few irritations. But for the price, it's hard to go past it.

Pretty much sums up my experience! I'll also note that the kit lens that comes with it is pretty neat.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Alternative power is useful if you're going to be away from the grid for any period.

In my case a dc-to-ac converter that plugs into a cigarette lighter has always been sufficient as I always have a vehicle available, but that may not work for everyone.

I'm going to get dropped off in the middle of nowhere via plane, so no cars around. Some extra batteries wouldn't be a bad idea either, maybe as a step up into one of those battery packs I can throw a bunch of batteries into. There will be a few good opportunities for a late-night star timelapse, so I might be burning through some batteries easily.

Are there any good solar-powered options at all?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Are you Les Stroud?

Maybe find an EE to put something together for you? I thought it sounded impractical, but it looks like it might work if my math is correct. Assuming a 1 square foot panel can produce 9W, it should charge an LP-E6 in an hour and a half (or at least produce the necessary power to do so). I have no idea how batteries charge, though. Maybe use the solar panel to charge something like this, which in turn could power a car charger? Again, assuming my math is right, that battery has the capacity of 6 LP-E6s.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Solar chargers are a thing these days for backpackers, mostly geared for smartphones. I don't know what kind of juice a Canon battery needs to get charged but if it's comparable to what a smartphone needs they might work for you if you could get all the adapters sorted out.

http://www.rei.com/category/40004198

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My wife's boss gave me some OLD EF lenses this week, as in the last time she shot them were on a film EOS. One is a 35-80 that feels cheap as hell, and the other is a zoom she couldn't remember the numbers for, but I assume it's probably the 80-200 from the early 90s also (maybe?).

So of course I just picked up a 30D body on ebay. A $140 body rolling with $30 lenses should be a ton of fun.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 13, 2014

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Huxley posted:

My wife's boss gave me some OLD EF lenses this week, as in the last time she shot them were on a film EOS. One is a 35-80 that feels cheap as hell, and the other is a zoom she couldn't remember the numbers for, but I assume it's probably the 80-200 from the early 90s also (maybe?).

So of course I just picked up a 30D body on ebay. A $140 body rolling with $30 lenses should be a ton of fun.

The 80-200 is probably fine, those were always pretty decent for zooms. You're probably better off getting a 18-55 IS (model I or II) as that's designed to fit crop sensors, unlike that 35-80.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

The 80-200 is probably fine, those were always pretty decent for zooms. You're probably better off getting a 18-55 IS (model I or II) as that's designed to fit crop sensors, unlike that 35-80.

I have around $300 left over to play with on lenses, and I already have a Nex with 50/1.4 covered. I honestly just had never shot a big DSLR before and wanted to see if the size really bothered me that much.

I'm thinking about the 40/2.8 and the Sigma 18-125. Reviews make it sound like the best choice out of all the superzooms, or at least better than any of the EF-S options in my pricerange. I definitely want something smaller than 20mm, because it's a range I don't have covered in mirrorless, either.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Huxley posted:

I've been curious about those 80-200 lenses. Let me know if it doesn't work out and you're looking to sell it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bisticles posted:

I've been curious about those 80-200 lenses. Let me know if it doesn't work out and you're looking to sell it.

Sure thing!

I might skip the 40/slow zoom combo and spend the whole thing on the Sigma 17-70 instead.

Though the LensRental guy basically calls it "an OK kit upgrade for jpg shooters." Hrm.

I feel like I can do better for ~$400. Suggestions?

Huxley fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 15, 2014

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Huxley posted:

Sure thing!

I might skip the 40/slow zoom combo and spend the whole thing on the Sigma 17-70 instead.

Though the LensRental guy basically calls it "an OK kit upgrade for jpg shooters." Hrm.

I feel like I can do better for ~$400. Suggestions?

You can get a white box (separated from kit) 18-135 STM for under four hundred. I think I paid 360 for mine

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
I have the 40mm 2.8 and the 18-135mm kit lens, and I like the combo so far.

They both have focus-by-wire which can be good and bad. I set my camera for back button focusing, so I just leave the lens on auto focus and can manually adjust the focus after auto focusing without having to flip that little switch. The downside is that the focus ring has a sloppy/delayed feel that takes some getting use to.

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

I hate snakes, Jock. I hate 'em!

I posted a thread on Fred Miranda looking to buy a 5D Mark ii, and last night a guy messaged me saying he had one he needs to move now for $1200. He even sent me the link to his eBay account where the very same camera was listed. I talked him down $50 bucks and he sent me his invoice over Paypal but then I noticed:

His eBay name was "Eddie" and a bunch of numbers.
His Paypal name was "Micah"
The invoice details said his name was "Richard"

I chickened out. It all felt a little weird.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
The way my 60D arrived to me leads me to believe it was stolen. The thing didnt come with a body cap and came with some really lovely batteries and charger which were brand new. The person selling it knew nothing about the camera as well. But what are you going to do? I had no undeniable evidence.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/tamron-sp-150-600mm-f-5-6-3-di-vc-usd-lens-review-23866

So maybe it might not destroy the 100-400mm @ 400mm 5.6 but less CA across the entire zoom range and that sick, sick 600mm of sniper reach is just so drat sexy. Also read somewhere that it does indeed maintain 5.6 up to 400mm (like 411mm I think?)

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Seamonster posted:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/tamron-sp-150-600mm-f-5-6-3-di-vc-usd-lens-review-23866

So maybe it might not destroy the 100-400mm @ 400mm 5.6 but less CA across the entire zoom range and that sick, sick 600mm of sniper reach is just so drat sexy. Also read somewhere that it does indeed maintain 5.6 up to 400mm (like 411mm I think?)
I've been following the growing enthusiasm for that lens in other forums with interest. The price is just ridiculous for what you get. I think Canon is going to see a huge drop in sales of their 100-400.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Canon will respond by making a 100-400 with IS II for $1000 more.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just hope the lens doesn't become impossible to find over the next few months while I scrape together my pennies.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
Any way of turning on "Silent Mode", or EFSC, on a T2i/ D550 without using Magic Latern? Or is it always on?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Does it misreport the aperture at 600mm to keep autofocus working beyond f/5.6?

Edit: appears that is unnecessary. AF stops working below f8 not above f5.6.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 22, 2014

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Pablo Bluth posted:

Does it misreport the aperture at 600mm to keep autofocus working beyond f/5.6?

Edit: appears that is unnecessary. AF stops working below f8 not above f5.6.

Only on 1 series bodies (and I think 5d3 latest firmware? ) - It doesn't seem to be tied to aperture per se in Canons firmware anyway, because the exif of my 100-400 + Kenko Pro 300 TC's report correctly as f/8 and f/11 , but it still AF's. I think it's actually reporting itself as a teleconverter + lens that makes it shut down. (The lens data just shows the 100-400 , but with 800mm f/11 when it's on the 2x)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
That sentence didn't make sense! AF stops working at and above f8 not above f5.6.