Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Handouts:

Liberty Island mission map
The NSF Commander (gotta love the attention to detail there)

I've looked over the final video, and it looks like processing causes it to darken noticably compared to how it looks when I'm playing. I'll kick brightness up a couple notches, and you should notice the difference after J.C. frees Liberty Island.

Hopefully most of you will see a couple new things in the video. Still, if I miss anything memorable, feel free to let me know and I might throw it in as a bonus later. Keep in mind, though, that I don't intend to show every version of every conversation and decision, and although I'm allowing spoilers, please keep requests to a minimum until after I've been through an area and missed something (this also means you don't need to call me out yet; please wait until after Liberty Island 2).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Huh, never knew about the free skill trick. Nice video.

The reason you one-shot a couple of NSF guys with the prod is you hit a sweet spot, for the enemies in this game it's either the back of the neck or the small of the back. Any melee attack at either of those points is an instant knockdown, which is nice.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

(I forgot how useful the viddler "comment pops up at a particular moment in the video" thing was. I'm writing as I go through the episode)

IIRC, Advanced in Medicine equals 75 points per medkit, Master equals 90. So I don't think an investment beyond Trained can be justified. Meanwhile, Trained in Swimming is just cheap enough to be worth it.

Not to be overtly original, but I can't hear "why contain it?" without "s'cool" playing in my head. (Ditto "I know the commander because he's my pal :)", "prod with the prod" etc)

I think you (*gasp*) neglected to mention the 0451 thing for the first code.

The interesting part about Deus Ex enemy locational damage is that the back rather than the head (according to some people, the lower back around the belt) is the magic knockout spot for baton application.

You're not really using explosives as makeshift lockpicks, which is one of my favorite Deus Ex things (you get a lot more explosives than lockpicks/multitools)

Edit - Literature corner could stand to draw a connection to Deus Ex / similar games and/or deliver some sort of value judgement. I may be biased because I'm already familiar with all the basic information therein (though to be fair, so would anyone with the inclination to type "cyberpunk" into wikipedia), but I was looking forward to some sort of analysis / interpretation.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 13, 2014

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Samopsa posted:

Huh, never knew about the free skill trick. Nice video.

Yeah I didn't know about that either or the second set of medbots for that part.

Xander77 posted:

Oh yeah it's 0451, I for some reason thought it was 1845 or something like that. :doh:

Also on the topic of Gibson and the Sprawl trilogy I'd almost say you should read at least the first three for this LP because as I recall them as being quite good. In particularly Neuromancer at least. (Not to mention it served as a bit of inspiration for one part of Escape from New York.)
Shame the last Gibson book I enjoyed reading was Idoru as I found Pattern Recognition to be rather middling and never really touched Spook Country. Guess I was too used to seeing him as a cyberpunk author.

Xander77 posted:

Not to be overtly original, but I can't hear "why contain it?" without "s'cool" playing in my head. (Ditto "I know the commander because he's my pal :)", "prod with the prod" etc)

Guilty as charged.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Now, now, let me at least find the code before I talk about it. I may have played this game a ton, but I've never put in the effort to memorize or write down all the codes.

quote:

You're not really using explosives as makeshift lockpicks, which is one of my favorite Deus Ex things (you get a lot more explosives than lockpicks/multitools)

I prefer a more mixed approach myself. Don't worry, you won't have to wait long before I solve a door with a bomb. Besides, most of the doors I interacted with in this video had an INF durability.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So the Literature/Conspiracy corner thing you got going on, I like it. Helps me understand things better (despite having played the game several times over myself). Also, for that locked-off boat, what I always did was use a nearby explosive canister to blow it up, thereby giving me free access to the goodies inside.

I mean, it almost always blew my legs off, but whatever, right?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I didn't know the there were so many different "XXXXpunk" genres around. I guess class struggle has been a theme throughout the ages, even in the ones that haven't happened yet.

I did have to laugh at the method you took through this level as it is almost identical to mine - go non-lethal (for role playing purposes more so than anything else), go to the UNATCO compound first, then clear out that first path, then clear the island going counter-clockwise. I think the only things I do differently so far is open up the hidden medical bot in a shipping crate and apply the accuracy mod to the crossbow at the beginning. Using the laser sight makes accuracy with that weapon near 100% and saves me having to wait for the reticles to narrow and saves the skill points that would otherwise need to be used - but I'll leave the discussion of mods to you when you get there.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Something of note is that there is friendly fire for the enemies: when Bobbin looted the thug on the docks, he shows up as a dead body, and watching back one can see him running in front of the other NSF soldier and getting killed by him while he was shooting at the player.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I didn't know the there were so many different "XXXXpunk" genres around. I guess class struggle has been a theme throughout the ages, even in the ones that haven't happened yet.

Steampunk, at least, outside of Arcanum and a few other works, doesn't tend to actually include any element of class struggle and tends to instead be about how awesome being rich upper class dilettantes would be.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

Also on the topic of Gibson and the Sprawl trilogy I'd almost say you should read at least the first three for this LP because as I recall them as being quite good. In particularly Neuromancer at least. (Not to mention it served as a bit of inspiration for one part of Escape from New York.)
Shame the last Gibson book I enjoyed reading was Idoru as I found Pattern Recognition to be rather middling and never really touched Spook Country. Guess I was too used to seeing him as a cyberpunk author.

I quite liked Pattern Recognition and Zero History. Mona Lisa Overdrive didn't live up to the title. I mean, what could, but the book hooked me much less than the other two in the Sprawl trilogy.

But I'd say his short stories in Burning Chrome should make the list too. Lot of ace stuff.

(And, minor correction. Escape From New York inspired Neuromancer. Not the other way around.)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Fun (?) fact: I played through this level SO MANY TIMES that when I actually visited Liberty Island in real life I had an eerie feeling of Deja Vu as I was stepping off the boat onto the dock :negative:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
If you toss a TNT crate in the water, just floating right on the surface, you can open the sunken ship for the cost of a 10mm round. Same goes for med-bot storage, if you put one near the big pillar- I've forgotten the sweet spot exactly- you can blow open the hatch without killing the bot.

And is it just rifles and pistols the trick works for? I swear I remember dumping one in Heavy during creation and the game deciding I didn't need the trained pistols.

Innovacious
Jun 27, 2012

Drink Lucozade to keep your energy maintained!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Now, now, let me at least find the code before I talk about it. I may have played this game a ton, but I've never put in the effort to memorize or write down all the codes.

Memorising some codes can be bad. It has been a lot of years now so I cannot remember the place exactly, but there is at least one location that you visit more than once. There is a door that you can reach but you cannot hack it and you do not get the code for it the first time through. If you remember the code though, you can get through. This causes you to sequence break and end up in the middle of a mission later in the game without finishing stuff before it and you cannot progress anymore (Or I at least could not figure out a way to progress after it happened.)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

(And, minor correction. Escape From New York inspired Neuromancer. Not the other way around.)

Well gently caress me I keep forgetting the obvious things. :doh:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Regarding the Prod, if you can manage to get an enemy with it while he's unaware of your presence, you'll automatically knock him out, rather than having to stun him first. Very handy for saving on charges, since it's not the most common of ammunition.

I honestly never found a use for the mini-crossbow. Most of the time, the enemy you're trying to knock out will make too much noise firing at you for it to really be considered stealthy, and the regular darts never did enough damage to merit using either. Perhaps there's more to the weapon, but so far as I can tell, it's just there so you can go nonlethal without wasting your Prod.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

GetWellGamers posted:

If you toss a TNT crate in the water, just floating right on the surface, you can open the sunken ship for the cost of a 10mm round. Same goes for med-bot storage, if you put one near the big pillar- I've forgotten the sweet spot exactly- you can blow open the hatch without killing the bot.

And is it just rifles and pistols the trick works for? I swear I remember dumping one in Heavy during creation and the game deciding I didn't need the trained pistols.

Only rifles and pistols. I checked with all the other weapon skills before I recorded (you guys have no idea how many times I'm playing through the levels before I record, it's crazy).

Innovacious posted:

Memorising some codes can be bad. It has been a lot of years now so I cannot remember the place exactly, but there is at least one location that you visit more than once. There is a door that you can reach but you cannot hack it and you do not get the code for it the first time through. If you remember the code though, you can get through. This causes you to sequence break and end up in the middle of a mission later in the game without finishing stuff before it and you cannot progress anymore (Or I at least could not figure out a way to progress after it happened.)

Would that be the one to get into the VersaLife office in Hong Kong? I don't know if it breaks the game, but you can certainly break the sequence by typing that one in early.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Only rifles and pistols. I checked with all the other weapon skills before I recorded (you guys have no idea how many times I'm playing through the levels before I record, it's crazy).

Ohhhh, I bet I do. :v:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Would that be the one to get into the VersaLife office in Hong Kong? I don't know if it breaks the game, but you can certainly break the sequence by typing that one in early.

Yes, that kinda fucks up the flags. You can still finish everything, but Tong's dialogue won't make a lot of sense.
Deus Ex is actually kinda amazing in that you can run through this game in like 40+ hours, see everything, and you probably won't encounter any major bugs. But if you look for them, well.. let's say you can find more than a few glitches, bugs and shortcuts in this game.

If you're interested, I can make some videos on breaking Deus Ex for this thread, appendix-style. I can show you how to basically get to Hell's Kitchen (mission 3) in about 5 minutes, for instance. Or showing the best way to use a pack of cigarettes.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I could have sworn that the pad is replaced with one that does nothing, even if you type in the code.

Samopsa posted:

Yes, that kinda fucks up the flags. You can still finish everything, but Tong's dialogue won't make a lot of sense.
Deus Ex is actually kinda amazing in that you can run through this game in like 40+ hours, see everything, and you probably won't encounter any major bugs. But if you look for them, well.. let's say you can find more than a few glitches, bugs and shortcuts in this game.

If you're interested, I can make some videos on breaking Deus Ex for this thread, appendix-style. I can show you how to basically get to Hell's Kitchen (mission 3) in about 5 minutes, for instance. Or showing the best way to use a pack of cigarettes.

The best way to use a pack of cigarettes is to kill yourself after saving Paul to skip the escape sequence, and I won't have anyone say otherwise. :colbert:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 13, 2014

Strabo
Feb 25, 2011
I thought that the skill point trick got patched out at some point. Guess not.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

KillHour posted:

The best way to use a pack of cigarettes is to kill yourself after saving Paul to skip the escape sequence, and I won't have anyone say otherwise. :colbert:

:ssh: don't ruin all the fun!

Strabo posted:

I thought that the skill point trick got patched out at some point. Guess not.

Actually, I read that the skill point trick was actually accidentally patched in for the final patch.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Night10194 posted:

Steampunk, at least, outside of Arcanum and a few other works, doesn't tend to actually include any element of class struggle and tends to instead be about how awesome being rich upper class dilettantes would be.

I think this is probably because the cyberpunk aesthetic without the "punk" aspect is just day-after-tomorrow sci fi, like Bobbin points out in the video, but steampunk is its own aesthetic. The steampunk-style fiction that's actually published, rather than the general online fandom, does seem to deal with social issues quite frequently though, even if in a pretty ham-handed way -- certainly the big names like The Difference Engine, Leviathan, The Anubis Gates, etc.

Really interesting LP so far by the way.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Blastinus posted:

Regarding the Prod, if you can manage to get an enemy with it while he's unaware of your presence, you'll automatically knock him out, rather than having to stun him first. Very handy for saving on charges, since it's not the most common of ammunition.

I honestly never found a use for the mini-crossbow. Most of the time, the enemy you're trying to knock out will make too much noise firing at you for it to really be considered stealthy, and the regular darts never did enough damage to merit using either. Perhaps there's more to the weapon, but so far as I can tell, it's just there so you can go nonlethal without wasting your Prod.

Someone already mentioned that the 'back' of the model was the sweetspot for knockouts with the baton -- if you have an unaware enemy, that's a one-shot hit too. On this level especially I almost never use the prod and just store ammo, since I'm knocking everyone out with the baton. I find the most reliable way to do it was to crouch while you're sneaking up and poke them in the butt. :pervert:

Also I have used the mini-crossbow as a makeshift sniper rifle on non-lethal playthroughs. Because the dart does act as a ballistic object, you can actually chuck them way beyond their 'effective' range as indicated by the crosshairs. With some practice, you can sort of artillery them into distant targets. Since the dart has flight time, you might be able to get completely hidden before it even lands. In extreme cases, I've used the flare darts to lure an enemy into checking that out, and then nailing them with a tranq dart on the same arc.

Of course, doing any of this is an enormous waste of time.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I have to give you my greatest respect - I love Let's Play with lots of side information, and the dose you give us at the end is just insanely interesting and well prepared/thought. Especially the presentation is amazing.

Hope to see more.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Night10194 posted:

This bugs me. As far as I'm aware, Gibson and Sterling's "The Difference Engine" really kicked off Steampunk. The whole point of that is that Victorian Britain has undergone a genuine revolution, and is - in theory at least, it doesn't shy away from the huge amount of hypocritical crap the era had - more meritocratic. It's not just stylish cog-powered top hats.

Christ, The Chaos Engine understood this more than most.

[ed] To clarify, it's the hopeless romanticism of the top hat brigade that bugs me, not people writing Steampunk off as silly bollocks. They're quite right to write the bulk of it off.

Prenton fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 13, 2014

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I never knew about those medbots. Second video and my mind's already been blown.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Samopsa posted:

:ssh: don't ruin all the fun!

Actually, I read that the skill point trick was actually accidentally patched in for the final patch.

I think it might be some kind of computational error, and the reason it doesn't twig when you spend your Pistols points in Rifles is because they cost the exact same amount. If you bring Rifles up to Advanced instead of just Trained, you still get your Pistols training back.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Or you can just untrain pistols and hit start, since it makes no difference if you spend your points in the pre-game character creation or not as far as I know.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GetWellGamers posted:

Or you can just untrain pistols and hit start, since it makes no difference if you spend your points in the pre-game character creation or not as far as I know.

It actually does.

Bob Page will comment only on your initial skill choices when you have the secret conversation with him in Hell's Kitchen. I don't imagine you would know about it though, it took me 25 plays to find that secret.

(I may be lying here.)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Blastinus posted:

If you fire a tranq dart into the back of an enemy's neck at close range, they'll go down silently. It's basically equivalent to the prod, but the ammo's easier to come by, and it powers up from the pistol skill so you don't have to spread your skill points so thin if you aren't using other melee weapons.

It's particularly handy for taking down some later enemies in a lootable state - they even have a nice target mark to show you where to aim.

Soricidus fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 14, 2014

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Whoa, that works on them? I thought only the Prod worked for the "You sleep quietly now!" button.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

No Gravitas posted:

It actually does.

Bob Page will comment only on your initial skill choices when you have the secret conversation with him in Hell's Kitchen. I don't imagine you would know about it though, it took me 25 plays to find that secret.

(I may be lying here.)

There's a secret conversation with Page in Hell's Kitchen? :aaaaa:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

KillHour posted:

There's a secret conversation with Page in Hell's Kitchen? :aaaaa:

I don't think there is.

That's a cool thing about DX though: I don't know whether or not there is a secret conversation. (I still don't consider it likely)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

No Gravitas posted:

It actually does.

Bob Page will comment only on your initial skill choices when you have the secret conversation with him in Hell's Kitchen.

Don't play with my heart like that.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Blastinus posted:

The mini-crossbow is fan-loving-tastic in the early game. It's a ballistic weapon (not hitscan) that's deceptively easy to aim despite the large crosshair, if you hit an enemy with a tranq dart ANYWHERE on their body they're done. Just hide out, after five seconds they drop their gun and run away and in ten seconds they're snoozing. You don't have that kind of snapshot ability with an early game pistol. And if you miss with the crossbow you can reclaim the darts from the opposite wall they stuck into. It also helps if you play on the One True Difficulty: Realistic, where even the lowliest NSF redshirt can walk up to you and cap you in the head once for a trip to the loading screen. Being able to bypass that drama by sticking a dart in their thigh/shoulder/foot/wherever and giggle in a corner for a bit gives you a lot of desperately needed flexibility when you're at your weakest and most fragile.

Leverage your tranqs for all they're worth! Save your early game ammo! Save your early game life!

(now once you start encountering MIBs or other enemies resistant to tranqs you'd better drop that thing and GOD HELP YOU if you put a weapon mod onto that sucker...)

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

I've never made it past Paris doing a pacifist run. Just too many of the harder enemies and too little of the relevant ammo.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

KillHour posted:

I could have sworn that the pad is replaced with one that does nothing, even if you type in the code.

I always used the cigarettes to get out of my drunken stupor after going all matrix mode with zyme.

Anyway, I keep hearing Millhouse's voice saying "You're doing it wrong!" through out the video, that I have to now install the game, yet again.

Just kidding, there's no wrong way when it comes to Deus Ex, but i still want to do things my way.

I'll still keep up watching the LP because it's Bobbin Threadbare and Deus Ex rules.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Really good start so far; reinstalled myself!

I don't know if this was mentioned or not, but you don't have to waste a multitool on the van to get inside. If you choose the other option when talking to the trooper (the one where you say you'll clear the place out), he'll give you the code to get in. Bobbin may have wished to avoid that for role-playing purposes (and really, it's not like the game doesn't already throw multitools at you, especially in the early game), but I always appreciated that you could do that.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I'm going to have to get used to you showing off a secret I had zero idea about in every video, aren't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
YT didn't have rocket boots, she had a skateboard :colbert: She got around by latching onto cars with a magnet-harpoon thing. I am pretty sure that Deus Ex would be like 70% better if they had copied this idea

Literature Corner made me wonder, are there any authors doing cyberpunk currently besides Stephenson and Gibson? Closest thing I can think of that I have read is the various Warhammer 40k Dan Abnett novels where the characters are on a city planet. I guess they're not really cyberpunk when everyone has forgotten how technology works though.

• Locked thread