Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

I saw James Adomian tonight and he was hilarious. I had heard him on a bunch of podcasts but never really listened to his stand-up. He's great!

I was there too. he was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

manyak posted:

I was there too. he was good

which show? I was at the 8pm one. DJ Demers was really great too.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
His album is available through AST -- I highly recommend it if you haven't listened.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

which show? I was at the 8pm one. DJ Demers was really great too.

I caught the 1030 one and I was also there friday night at 1030 for the naughtyham Robin hood improv thing. The standup was good, and i think hes coming into his own considering he has only actually been doing standup (rather than improv/sketch/impression stuff) for a couple years now. the Robin hood thing was funny enough but it was the first time they ever performed it, and it seemed kinda cobbled together and not super thought out, which i know is what improv is like but you know what i mean

Friday night was the most surreal though because i showed up to the comedy bar early at like 10 to grab a drink, and i walked in and went to the washroom and James adomian is there at the urinal, with a beer in one hand leaning back with his cock out pissing, and as i walk in he looks me up and down and gives me a slight smile and nod and then goes on his way. i was joking with my friends that we should just leave before the set because it couldnt live up to him checking me out in the mens room

especially surreal for me since even though ive gone to a lot of live comedy, my only other Star Struck moment was when i was watching some crappy local comic do crowdwork(also at the Comedy bar) around the time of Just for laughs, and marc maron came over and stood beside me in the back, watched for like 2 minutes and then went "yeah? really? thats it huh? well ok" and then left

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Patton Oswalt has a new special coming out this Friday on EPIX. One can assume it'll come out on MP3 at that time, as well.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

manyak posted:

especially surreal for me since even though ive gone to a lot of live comedy, my only other Star Struck moment was when i was watching some crappy local comic do crowdwork(also at the Comedy bar) around the time of Just for laughs, and marc maron came over and stood beside me in the back, watched for like 2 minutes and then went "yeah? really? thats it huh? well ok" and then left

This is so perfectly Marc Maron

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I hear that in his voice.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
I'm nearly though this week's DLM, and it's a really good episode. I'm a big fan of the Leonard Maltin Game, and Jeff Garlin of all people keeps Doug rushing through it to get as many rounds in as possible because he has "dinner plans."

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Asterios posted:

I'm nearly though this week's DLM, and it's a really good episode. I'm a big fan of the Leonard Maltin Game, and Jeff Garlin of all people keeps Doug rushing through it to get as many rounds in as possible because he has "dinner plans."

An episode where Jeff Garlin plays the game is a failed episode

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

If you're in LA, Maria Bamford is doing a weekly residence at The Palace's Thursday show for the immediate future.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Bubba Smith posted:

This is so perfectly Marc Maron

I walked by him one time. We locked eyes and I gave him a huge smile and we kept walking right by each other without breaking our gaze or speaking. I was an inch taller than him

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Man, Patton's new special is only on Epix and I can't get at it. :I They loving advertise that they are giving out free 14-day trials, but they apparently don't think to actually send the loving emails out for it, or whatever the goddamn deal there is. It's been 12 hours and I still can't watch it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Apoplexy posted:

Man, Patton's new special is only on Epix and I can't get at it. :I They loving advertise that they are giving out free 14-day trials, but they apparently don't think to actually send the loving emails out for it, or whatever the goddamn deal there is. It's been 12 hours and I still can't watch it.

You don't need the email, just click login with free trial and use the password you entered on sign-up. I just went from clicking the sign-up button to starting the video in like a minute. Make sure to check your Adblock/Ghostery/whatever because I couldn't find the login button with my normal settings.

Thank you for reminding me it came out though!

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Ror posted:

You don't need the email, just click login with free trial and use the password you entered on sign-up. I just went from clicking the sign-up button to starting the video in like a minute. Make sure to check your Adblock/Ghostery/whatever because I couldn't find the login button with my normal settings.

Thank you for reminding me it came out though!

Adblock was loving with me, that's what it was. Thanks!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
So, tonight I went and saw Jerry Sadowitz. I'd heard he was the kind of comic that other comics go and see, and I can see why. He was bafflingly good - utterly tasteless, offensive, racist, and yet delivered with such personality and desperate charm that I couldn't hate a second of it. It helped that he's a fantastic sleight-of-hand magician, too. My friends and I (who knew basically nothing about his act, other than "angry, offensive, also card tricks) were actually lost for words as we came out of the theatre. It was cathartic, challenging, and made my face hurt. All in all a pretty fantastic evening!

(Basically yeah if you're interested in comedy at all go and see Jerry Sadowitz because wowsers)

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Apoplexy posted:

So what did everyone think of the special?

I loved it (Patton is one of my favorite if not my favorite comedians), but I'm not sure I enjoyed it as much as his other specials. The stories were interesting but somehow seemed lighter on the punchlines. Still a really funny special though.

Also, kudos to him for releasing it in a pseudo-free format. I'm not sure he planned the watch-for-free-with-free-trial thing when he signed on to epix, but he definitely tweeted about the trial before the special aired. And thanks to ya'll for the reminder, I almost forgot about that.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Agreed. Good special, not Patton's best, but any Patton is superior to none. I love the payoff to his daughter's exposure to Wolfman.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Louis CK just sent out an e-mail to announce he's releasing his old indie film tomorrow on his website.

Apologies for the wall of text, but here is Louis' description of the movie:

Louis CK posted:

...I made this movie, meaning I wrote and directed it, back in 1998. I was a struggling comedian and TV writer at the time and I pulled together my savings and some of my fiends money to make this movie on black and white 16mm film. There are some great people in this movie. Steve Carell, JB Smoove, Wanda Sykes and Conan O'Brien are some that you might have heard of. Robert Smigel, Chuck Sklar, Rick Shapiro, Heather Morgan, Nick Diapolo, Martha Greenhouse, Greg Hahn, Carey Prusa and Joseph Dolphin, you may have heard of a little less but they are all terrific. In fact all these people are comedians and actors I had been working with and around back in the 90s and I wrote all of their parts for them specifically. To me, that's what this movie was for, to create performance opportunities for all my favorite funny people. And to photograph them with prime lenses on Black and White reversal film.

Tomorrow Night is a bizarre little indie film and it gets pretty weird. It was a labor of love for me. It's how I learned to direct and there are some wonderful performances in it. The crew included some folks that still work with me today on my FX series "Louie" including director of Photography Paul Keostner and production designer Amy Silver.

Tomorrow Night screened at the Sundance film festival as well as other festivals from Seattle to Sweden. But it never got distribution. Any black and white movie is tricky to get a market for and this one is particularly strange. But it's funny and it's well worth watching. That's what I think, anyway. It certainly isn't for everyone.

In any case, Tomorrow Night has been sitting in storage in film cans for 15 years. No one has ever seen it. There are no tapes of it or even clips of it anywhere.

Once again, TOMORROW NIGHT will be available tomorrow at noon (I know that sounds funny) at louisck.com for 5 dollars. You can pay with paypal, amazon payments and odwalla or whatever that other one is. I think Odwalla is the company that makes fruit smoothies.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

urk the quack posted:

Louis CK just sent out an e-mail to announce he's releasing his old indie film tomorrow on his website.

Apologies for the wall of text, but here is Louis' description of the movie:

I'm hoping someone here buys it and gives a little review to see if it's worth buying. I watched a pile of his old black and white shorts on YouTube years ago and they ranged from mildly boring to mildly amusing. Did his last $5 special go up on Netflix really quickly? I know Aziz's and Gaffigan's both went up right after I bought them and it was kind of annoying.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Patton's new one is probably the least awesome since Feelin' Kinda Patton in my eyes, but it's still great because he's one of my 3 favorite comics and just him being him on stage for an hour is awesome. And speaking of awesome!
Last night I went to one of my usual open mics, and then after about 18 of mostly the usuals, the host announces "And now a REALLY special treat, Mister SEAN PATTON!" He came out and did maybe 15 minutes, was hilarious as you'd expect. And he was complimentary of the comics, stating at one point in his set, "Where are all your lovely open micers? Everyone was actually funny and wrote jokes and actually tried. Where's like the, WOMEN EH? gently caress EM! guy?" He had apparently gotten stranded in Nashville after a show and my friend DJ is giving him a ride to Atlanta, to be rewarded with some choice-rear end stage time. Cool night.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I saw Sean Patton three times in one week by chance last September, that guy loving rules.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I think I liked Patton's new one better than Finest Hour, not by much though. That long-rear end "nobody in Germany understood my jokes because NAZIS are a thing that happened!" bit he closed with was pretty dreadful.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I didn't like his new special. And my least favorite parts were all the dad/kid jokes. Oh well.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

nerve posted:

I didn't like his new special. And my least favorite parts were all the dad/kid jokes. Oh well.

That's the problem with starting out with so much anger, it's hard to adjust your comedy when you're actually happy.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
George Bush is a psychotic murderer, but you know what's great? SNUGGLING!

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I was at the special taping, and saw him in the same theater the year before when much of that material was being worked on. I vastly preferred how he delivered it when he was working on it. It was almost the exact same stuff, but delivered in a way which was more "classic Patton". For example, when talking about committing suicide to Toto in the grocery store, he diverged onto a really funny tangent about how insane the concept of a grocery store in the middle of a day is, for like 5 minutes, but in his final version it was boiled down to his one "shopping like a crazed Roman emperor" joke. His newer style seems to be focusing more on doing long anecdotes with a punchline, and it's not as good as what he's been known for.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Space_Butler posted:

I was at the special taping, and saw him in the same theater the year before when much of that material was being worked on. I vastly preferred how he delivered it when he was working on it. It was almost the exact same stuff, but delivered in a way which was more "classic Patton". For example, when talking about committing suicide to Toto in the grocery store, he diverged onto a really funny tangent about how insane the concept of a grocery store in the middle of a day is, for like 5 minutes, but in his final version it was boiled down to his one "shopping like a crazed Roman emperor" joke. His newer style seems to be focusing more on doing long anecdotes with a punchline, and it's not as good as what he's been known for.

Huh, really funny that you brought this up, I had the exact same feeling. The special felt a bit sterile to me even though I loved a lot of the jokes.

I saw him in July and if you were making a set list I'd say he did pretty much all of the same bits from the special. That Toto suicide bit was easily the funniest part for me but the whole grocery shopping thing seemed more depressing and less Gaffigan-y when I saw him live. The Germany bit as well seemed more flippant and clearly exaggerated, complete with a more over-the-top German accent. I would almost say that the material feels "overworked" to me, but I really don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to serious comedic criticism. At first I thought I was being too subjective since I saw him in a great little intimate club, but it's interesting to hear that in the exact same venue you noticed such a different delivery.

It makes me feel bad about all of the comedians I have formed opinions on based on single sets because I'm sure there are plenty that I would have liked in a better context.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Ror posted:

Huh, really funny that you brought this up, I had the exact same feeling. The special felt a bit sterile to me even though I loved a lot of the jokes.

I saw him in July and if you were making a set list I'd say he did pretty much all of the same bits from the special. That Toto suicide bit was easily the funniest part for me but the whole grocery shopping thing seemed more depressing and less Gaffigan-y when I saw him live. The Germany bit as well seemed more flippant and clearly exaggerated, complete with a more over-the-top German accent. I would almost say that the material feels "overworked" to me, but I really don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to serious comedic criticism. At first I thought I was being too subjective since I saw him in a great little intimate club, but it's interesting to hear that in the exact same venue you noticed such a different delivery.

It makes me feel bad about all of the comedians I have formed opinions on based on single sets because I'm sure there are plenty that I would have liked in a better context.

I'm extremely fortunate to have been able to watch some great standup for the last year every Tuesday. It was very interesting to see performers seem to continue to work material and or find their voice. I view standup just as i do improv. It's basically (pardon sports analogy) like a long season. You'll have your good days. You'll go through slumps. But in theory you're going to be wanting to be trending on an upwards trajectory. Whether that means finding your voice, or honing material for a special you want to be generally speaking moving up. Obviously if you're just dropping in on one night you might see a "slump/bad" night and if you don't have the opportunity to see this performer again and again you'll only have that single vertical slice of a long trajectory.

That said its not completely unfair to judge a comic that way either. You shouldn't have to be a slave to the craft and know that they're working hard. If you weren't entertained and they bombed, that's still on them.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'll echo the posts about liking the bits in Patton's new special better when I saw him working on them live last fall. The grocery store and the #racistbaby bit were a lot funnier when they were rougher, for whatever reason.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The energy is a bit different at a live comedy show.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

That's true, but I've also been to comedy shows and then liked the jokes better on the subsequent album. I think that in this case, at least for me, Patton trimmed a lot of stuff that I really liked.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Ariza posted:

I'm hoping someone here buys it and gives a little review to see if it's worth buying. I watched a pile of his old black and white shorts on YouTube years ago and they ranged from mildly boring to mildly amusing. Did his last $5 special go up on Netflix really quickly? I know Aziz's and Gaffigan's both went up right after I bought them and it was kind of annoying.
I watched it. I expected this to be more of a Woody Allen knockoff but it has a definite 90s indie feel to it. Not as good as stylistically similar stuff like In The Soup or Man Bites Dog though. It doesn't flow very well and could probably use some tighter editing, especially Rick Shapiro's scenes as a horny housewife.

Not all that great but it's at least interesting to watch him try to find his voice as a director. I've definitely seen worse shoestring-budget indie movies. There aren't a whole lot of actual jokes but if you're a comedy fan you get a weird little cameo every five minutes to keep you occupied.

I guess the mildly boring to mildly amusing opinion you had on his old shorts applies for this too.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 3, 2014

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Comedy Central Half-Hour lineup for 2014:

· Adam Newman
· Barry Rothbart
· Chris Distefano
· Chris Gethard
· Damien Lemon
· Fortune Feimster
· Joe Wengert
· Joe Zimmerman
· Kurt Braunohler
· Mark Normand
· Michael Che
· Rachel Feinstein
· Ron Funches
· Tommy Johnagin
· Yannis Pappas

I'm excited.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

escape artist posted:

Comedy Central Half-Hour lineup for 2014:

· Adam Newman
· Barry Rothbart
· Chris Distefano
· Chris Gethard
· Damien Lemon
· Fortune Feimster
· Joe Wengert
· Joe Zimmerman
· Kurt Braunohler
· Mark Normand
· Michael Che
· Rachel Feinstein
· Ron Funches
· Tommy Johnagin
· Yannis Pappas

I'm excited.

Almost every one of those people has a hilarious name so I am too. I'm hoping Funches' stand up is funny because he seems so nice. Most of those people I only know from podcasts which really doesn't tell you how good their stand up is.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Ariza posted:

Almost every one of those people has a hilarious name so I am too. I'm hoping Funches' stand up is funny because he seems so nice. Most of those people I only know from podcasts which really doesn't tell you how good their stand up is.

It's very good. I always liked Michael Che on Bunk, so I'm excited to see his full half hour.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Tommy Johnagin is a boss, and I enjoyed Joe Zimmerman when he came here with Maria Bamford last year. A lot of those names I don't know, but hey, that's fun too!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Super pumped about a few of those. Lots of indie darlings and podcast favs.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I can vouch for the hilarity of all but 3 or 4 of them. Funches will be the best. Che and Brauhnohler will be amazing, too. Just Youtube some clips. Rachel Feinstein's album "Thug Tears" is a good one. I just hope it's new material on her Half Hour.

Also, a few of those folks did sets on Adam Devine's House Party.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

escape artist posted:

I can vouch for the hilarity of all but 3 or 4 of them. Funches will be the best. Che and Brauhnohler will be amazing, too. Just Youtube some clips. Rachel Feinstein's album "Thug Tears" is a good one. I just hope it's new material on her Half Hour.

Also, a few of those folks did sets on Adam Devine's House Party.

I tried to watch that show because I used to like Workaholics but I turned it off after ten minutes and then forgot that it existed. Are there any particular episodes that are worth watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Ariza posted:

I tried to watch that show because I used to like Workaholics but I turned it off after ten minutes and then forgot that it existed. Are there any particular episodes that are worth watching?

It was a decent idea to mix sketches about Adam's party with the stand up, but it ends up cutting too much into the comics' time to really see some good sets. You got 22 minutes divided by three, then add in the sketches and you got these truncated sets where everything feels off because of the editing.