Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Sock The Great posted:

Isn't SimCity structured around depending on other, nearby, cities though? Are offline folks just supposed to build more satellite cities to support their main?

I'm pretty sure this is how most people were playing the game, even in online mode. Otherwise people could claim adjacent plots and just abandon them, with no way to kick them out of the region, leaving you starved for whatever resources they had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Who is even playing Simcity in the year of our lord 2014.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm like Jeff in that every time I think of SimCity, my blood pressure shoots through the loving roof.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Hey Sim City 4 is still pretty great.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Mordiceius posted:

I'm like Jeff in that every time I think of SimCity, my blood pressure shoots through the loving roof.
How the hell the game got away with a 3/5 score is beyond me.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Mutation posted:

Didn't they assume some of the things would be fixed?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Mutation posted:

Still better than that first Polygon review, which IIRC used the phrase 'near-perfect' 2-3 times while describing the game's simulation engine.

And they got lucky that the Xbox One's DRM stuff was so ridiculous, because holy hell was that game a giant, hot mess on absolutely every single level.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Sock The Great posted:

Isn't SimCity structured around depending on other, nearby, cities though? Are offline folks just supposed to build more satellite cities to support their main?

Yeah, but playing solo has always been the most reliable way to play the game. If you try to play it with friends then you run the inevitable risk of someone getting bored and abandoning their cit(y/ies) before your region's great work can be completed -- and that will happen, because the game is too terrible to sustain the interests of more than one sane person for more than a couple of days.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ovaries posted:

Yeah, but playing solo has always been the most reliable way to play the game. If you try to play it with friends then you run the inevitable risk of someone getting bored and abandoning their cit(y/ies) before your region's great work can be completed -- and that will happen, because the game is too terrible to sustain the interests of more than one sane person for more than a couple of days.

Also people have to play certain roles with their cities and someone might not want to make the lovely city that's just there for surplus power or police or whatever.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
"Play your loving class" -Maxis 2013

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mordiceius posted:

Fortunately, I assume that's a pretty rare occurrence.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

muscles like this? posted:

Also people have to play certain roles with their cities and someone might not want to make the lovely city that's just there for surplus power or police or whatever.

Don't forget the part where you either have to play by yourself and micromanage a couple of cities, or only play with people you trust because if you let random strangers into your region they can make a lovely power/police city, then demolish it and completely gently caress you over.

Good thing no one on the internet is an rear end in a top hat!

Exquisite Dead Guy
Oct 27, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

If you're talking about the 2013 title and not the series in general, YouTube LPers. They can't get enough of that steaming pile, apparently. Must get a lot of views?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
The Ouya, Sim City and Xbone gave us the best gaming experiences of 2013 without having to spend a dime.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Hakkesshu posted:

In other trainwreck news, Maxis is adding an offline mode to SimCity. How loving crazy is the story of this dumb game

quote:

EA stated again and again after the game’s release that taking the game offline would require “significant engineering work” because so much of its simulation was happening in my butt.

What a beautiful trainwreck this has been, looking forward to 2014. :allears:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

The Ouya, Sim City and Xbone gave us the best gaming experiences of 2013 without having to spend a dime.
And thanks to idiots they probably were all profitable enough to get more sequels/dlc.

Unlike, say, bulletstorm.

Swagger Dagger posted:

At least modders can do it now without getting banned from Origin
Nah they're still going to get banned for potentially infringing on their dlc rights.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 13, 2014

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I think there's exactly one goon in the SC thread that unironically loves the game.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Exquisite Dead Guy posted:

If you're talking about the 2013 title and not the series in general, YouTube LPers. They can't get enough of that steaming pile, apparently. Must get a lot of views?

Wait seriously? :psyduck: And yeah I meant the 2013 title. gently caress I hate when publishers need to have the same loving title for all of their games (I'M LOOKING AT YOU NFS HOT PURSUIT AND MOST WANTED).

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Exquisite Dead Guy posted:

Maybe I'm being cynical, but I always figured that a lot of that was EA slinging money their way in exchange for LP series, at least for the big 1 million + subscriber guys. LPers who are usually quick to point out flaws or complain about a game seem unusually positive and enthusiastic about it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

I cannot wait.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

uPen posted:

I cannot wait.

This is the game where you win if you kill yourself right?

He's found his niche.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Don't forget Ride to Hell. Never forget Ride to Hell. I sure won't.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ride to Hell was just some poo poo indie game, it's not nearly on the same scale as those others.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

uPen posted:

I cannot wait.

That is not Nidhogg.

That's Demon's Souls.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

CrushedB posted:

That is not Nidhogg.

That's Demon's Souls.

Load our last souls lives on :yaycloud:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Nidhogg looks like one of those games thats only fun playing against people in the same room as you, like Samurai Gunn or Oprah.

Vinny gotta play Kings Field instead of Demon's Souls, he already beat that.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Load our last souls lives on :yaycloud:
He still has his charity stream promise to fulfill.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Ride to Hell was just some poo poo indie game, it's not nearly on the same scale as those others.

It's one thing to be a terrible game. It's another entirely to be a very long terrible game. The other ones were more angry making, while Ride to Hell was more of a "what were they thinking?" sort of bad.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ride to Hell is peanuts compared to EA's entire year, especially Battlefield.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Overbite posted:

Nidhogg looks like one of those games thats only fun playing against people in the same room as you, like Samurai Gunn or Oprah.

Vinny gotta play Kings Field instead of Demon's Souls, he already beat that.

Load our Last Souls can go on hiatus until DSII comes out!

In March!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Manatee Cannon posted:

It wasn't on the same scale but it was nevertheless a hilarious trainwreck. It was the best kind of bad because all of its faults were just flat-out funny to see, rather than poo poo like Battlefield where it was less hilarious and more just...kinda expected at this point. The game was also in development hell for a long while and was published by the same company that published Saints Row and Metro, so it's not like it was some no-name game by a company nobody had ever heard of. And it gave us one of the best Quick Looks of last year.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

I'm probably totally alone but I'm considering starting Sim City up now that it's going in offline. It's dumb, I'm dumb, but I like city building and lost my SC4 discs. :saddowns:

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I think Jeff was spot-on when he said Ride to Hell looks like a GTA-style clone that was a terrible disaster someone decided to patch together into something resembling a Video Game and release what they had.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

dreffen posted:

I'm probably totally alone but I'm considering starting Sim City up now that it's going in offline. It's dumb, I'm dumb, but I like city building and lost my SC4 discs. :saddowns:

Do not purchase Sim City.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sim City 4 goes on sale on Steam very often. Just get that.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah I don't understand why you wouldn't just buy SC4 again. You know, since it's actually a good game and isn't fundamentally broken.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CrushedB posted:

That's Demon's Souls.

Ohhh gawwwwd

But it's gotta be Brad, right? Vinny's beaten it already. Unless Jeff wants a go :unsmigghh:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Sim City is a bad game even without the bullshit online stuff, just get 4 for a fraction of the price.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Do not purchase Sim City.

Someone had already gotten it for me ages ago because they wanted me to play with them. So I didn't have to give EA my money!

TheJoker138 posted:

Sim City 4 goes on sale on Steam very often. Just get that.

It never occurred to me that it would be on Steam, now I'll just go ahead and buy that. Screw waiting for the sale!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cannot Find Server posted:

It wasn't on the same scale but it was nevertheless a hilarious trainwreck. It was the best kind of bad because all of its faults were just flat-out funny to see, rather than poo poo like Battlefield where it was less hilarious and more just...kinda expected at this point. The game was also in development hell for a long while and was published by the same company that published Saints Row and Metro, so it's not like it was some no-name game by a company nobody had ever heard of. And it gave us one of the best Quick Looks of last year.

You could say the same about a lot of bad games. Hatune Miku was a pretty dumb game by a big publisher with a funny quick look but I wouldn't say it's the same as Sim City. A game like that or Battlefield comes with certain expectations, Ride to Hell does not. It wasn't even canceled post release!

• Locked thread