Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Don't worry we will just assume you were taking drugs.

To be fair when a foreigner dies in SE Asia it's probably alcohol + benzos like 90% of the time. And straight up alcohol another %5. (I am making up numbers based on watching otherwise sane people behave like morons because you're not doing SE Asia properly unless you're partying hard and being wacky.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Actually, yeah, if this were Pattaya I could completely see a headline like, "Foreigner dies while climbing erupting volcano. Alcohol and drugs suspected in death."

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

Oh good, pants talk is back. I was starting to think the thread title was becoming irrelevant.

Unless I'm at work I live in short denim shorts or (if it's really goddamn cold) jeans. To hell with fisherman pants, those godawful dropped crotch mc hammer pants and recently I've been seeing a lot of stretchy fabric pants that are loose and baggy with a little cuff about halfway down the calf. Yeah. Looking really manly there.

For god's sake men, buy some board shorts or something. For your own sake, stop wearing jorts. Just because they sell them at the market doesn't mean that you should use them.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Well, I didn't die. But our guide did tell us about a Russian who decided back in November or so to hike the volcano without a guide. He screwed up on the way down, and ended up getting lost in the forest for a week and surviving on dew and rainwater. Apparently, this same Russian, a week earlier, tried to go swimming off the beach at Parangtritis. They have strong currents there and he ended up clinging to a log as he got swept several km out to sea. Also apparently yes, alcohol was involved in at least that occasion if not both.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Chair Huxtable posted:

Oh good, pants talk is back. I was starting to think the thread title was becoming irrelevant.

Unless I'm at work I live in short denim shorts or (if it's really goddamn cold) jeans. To hell with fisherman pants, those godawful dropped crotch mc hammer pants and recently I've been seeing a lot of stretchy fabric pants that are loose and baggy with a little cuff about halfway down the calf. Yeah. Looking really manly there.

For god's sake men, buy some board shorts or something. For your own sake, stop wearing jorts. Just because they sell them at the market doesn't mean that you should use them.

Board shorts? How vile and barbaric. What manner of il men would dress up like a savage. Of course the natural attire should be of a two button saville suit, matched with carefully stitched oxfords.

Finally you need a fedora and refer all ladies as m'lady.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I still don't get the aversion to cargo shorts, but maybe I have become traveldad, destroyer of fashions. Who knows? The one major addition to my fashion repertoire in 2013 was Sanuk shoes. Those things are perfect for Bangkok - slip on and off, but you don't have to worry about the back of a flip flop shooting disgusting, filthy water up the back of your leg during rainy season.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

caberham posted:

Board shorts? How vile and barbaric.

I might be biased. I do date a kite boarder, after all. He tried to buy jorts last night, as he decided he's tired of wearing board shorts out on the town. I said no and directed him to other things. Jean shorts on men is the worst.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I have a pair of super skinny Jean shorts that I wore twice till my girlfriend threw them away. Truely a fashion noob.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
SE Asia Megathread: I do date a kiteboarder, after all.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Off to look at a piece of land tomorrow to build Siem Reaps first bowling alley on.

WHEN WILL THE MADNESS END

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If you combine that with the Children's Circus you could end up with something pretty novel. #YOLO

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Santa hat sales mist have been brisk this year

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
The streets of Bangcock (new official Royal Thai General System of Transcription spelling) is full of protesters who are getting shot and all you guys talk about are adventure pants? :argh:

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Are people really being shot?

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Are people really being shot?

Sadly, yes. But I figured from the start that this was going to escalate. I don't even want to imagine the situation Bangkok will be in around the elections on February. Or if someone actually does nominate Ying Luck for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Edit: SEA Megathread: Duckmaster has an IDEA!

Chair Huxtable fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 13, 2014

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Chair Huxtable posted:

Edit: SEA Megathread: Duckmaster has an IDEA!

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Best title award!

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Hello SEA-goons, I'm heading to BKK tomorrow, and have two questions:

1) I have mild hayfever, like grass and tree pollen. Is there such a thing to worry about over there?

2) Are there any mosquitoes to worry about in BKK? I'm staying in Sukhumvit.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Pilsner posted:

2) Are there any mosquitoes to worry about in BKK?
I know this is a dick thing to do, and I don't mean it in a mean way, but :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, there are a poo poo-ton of mosquitoes here. Density varies by your specific location. On the topic of hay fever, I don't know of anyone who has a shitload of pollen issues, but there are plenty of various kinds of pollens and spores floating around in Thailand. Bangkok itself is largely cemented over, but you might into them just outside. Not sure on that.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Pilsner is going to die and get robbed. Or arrested as a pedophile in soi cowboy.

Just kidding, who are you traveling with? I'm sure you will have fun. If you don't, then you are just an idiot.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Pilsner posted:

1) I have mild hayfever, like grass and tree pollen. Is there such a thing to worry about over there?

I also have mild hayfever and escape to Koh Tao for the worst of the hayfever season here. Bangkok isn't hayfever free but it's pretty drat close. Probably all the air pollution rather than pollen.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Oh poo poo. I hope they have some potent anti-mosquito spray over there. Still though... will they be inside my sealed up air-conned modern hotel room? :ohdear:

caberham, I'm going alone. With the daily routine with work and a toddler day in, day out, it will be bliss to just be with my own thoughts. The first day I'll also be going out with my colleague/friend, who happens to be there with his Phillipine GF that day. We'll be hanging around Soi 4 and Nana Plaza.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I think high humidity helps with hay fever so you should be fine.

For mosquito stuff just make sure you wear long pants and socks everywhere!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Flying into BKK on Saturday. With the protests going on, is it advisable to get out of the city as soon as possible?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Thai mosquitoes are different from our North American type. They're larger, slower, noisy and not at all sneaky. They also almost never fly more than a foot off the floor. This peculiar habit of theirs means that pants and socks make for almost impenetrable mosquito armor. Even in shorts and flip flops though you won't get too many bites in Bangkok and you're not going to catch any skeeter diseases from the city ones (unless there's a dengue outbreak).

Just so you're aware (in case you're not) Soi 4 / Nana is the very epicenter of sex tourism in Bangkok. So if you're staying there you probably shouldn't tell grandma that's where you're staying in case she Googles it.

I had some allergy bullshit before I lived in SE Asia but never had issue there. All the plants are different man.

dantheman650 posted:

Flying into BKK on Saturday. With the protests going on, is it advisable to get out of the city as soon as possible?

IMHO it's a huge opportunity to see history going down. You'll never attend a safer major political action like that. With protests ongoing I'd schedule more time for Bangkok and love every minute of it.

Honestly you should be thrilled!

raton fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 14, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

dantheman650 posted:

It's generally advisable to get out of Bangkok ASAP, but I have to say that the protests seem to dissipate pretty quickly last night. Who knows what's coming?

Sheep-Goats posted:

Thai mosquitoes are different from our North American type. They're larger, slower, noisy and not at all sneaky. They also almost never fly more than a foot off the floor. This peculiar habit of theirs means that pants and socks make for almost impenetrable mosquito armor.
Yeah, this is true. I typically attribute it to them being too lazy to fly high off the ground, but whatever, heh.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Mosquito voice: Oiiiii rohhnnn...

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I see our holiday has arrived:

http://news.yahoo.com/aussie-legs-bared-annual-no-pants-commute-083626908.html

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Pilsner posted:

2) Are there any mosquitoes to worry about in BKK? I'm staying in Sukhumvit.

Lifelong allergy sufferer and SEA is pretty much wonderfully free. They're already burning poo poo up north, though, so if you head up this way you might get some congestion depending.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I was in Bangkok a couple of years ago and spent the first hour sitting outside at a bar getting eaten alive by local mosquitoes. The inching was painful and agonizing, but after the first hour, I didn't feel another bite the rest of the week I was in the country. Maybe I just got acclimated to it?

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Mosquitoes in Bangkok weren't too bad for me compared to some other places I've been to. You do get used to them after a while, it's the sand flies that are the worst :cry:

I tended to use either Jaico roll on (can find at Boots or nicer drugstores, around 300 baht) or the orange OFF spray (a bit cheaper and easier to find everywhere else, around 150-170 baht). Jaico lasts longer and I like it better, but it's double the price of OFF so just use whatever you want. The other stuff I tried didn't seem to work too well. And if you forget to put some on and get bit, white tiger balm is the poo poo for treating bites and you can find it EVERYWHERE. I tend to use Fenistil with it too, only around 60 baht but it makes bites go away really quick and helps with the pain too.

Do not itch the bites or you'll get ugly looking sores that last forever.

As for allergies, it probably depends on what you're allergic to. I don't have any allergies at home but I think I might been be allergic to something up in northern Thailand, had a constant case of the sniffles and sneezing that got better as I went back to the south.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

Tomato Soup posted:

And if you forget to put some on and get bit, white tiger balm is the poo poo for treating bites and you can find it EVERYWHERE.

Tiger balm or the little bottles of "green oil" (I assume you get those in Thailand too) work great I find. Basically anything that gives a heating sensation. I'm a mosquito magnet and they always go for the feet, which drives me crazy. It's the reason I stopped wearing flip-flops out in the evening. :(

I got bitten really bad back in September and was given a tub of mysterious green waxy stuff to put on the bites, with a warning not to use too much. Should've listened, it felt like my legs were on fire for two hours. Got rid of the itch though!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Many itches are caused by things that can be disrupted with the direct application of fairly mild heat.

http://lifehacker.com/use-a-hot-spoon-to-instantly-relieve-itchy-bug-bites-615912899

Of course using real medicine (an antihistamine itch cream) will work better than that.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
45 degrees Celsius in Adelaide today, 45 tomorrow, 46 on Thursday. Send me back to Koh Tao :(

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

I'll have to mark an MRT ride on my calendar for next year.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Was meant to see the land today but obviously I'm dealing with estate agents and Cambodians, which combined means that absolutely nothing is going to get done. He's rescheduled till tomorrow which is fine because I also want to do this. Anyone done that sort of thing before? What kind of puzzles are there?

Apparently rent is "as little as" £200 a month. I would probably vomit on myself if I had to pay such an obscene sum here.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Pilsner posted:

The first day I'll also be going out with my colleague/friend, who happens to be there with his Phillipine GF that day. We'll be hanging around Soi 4 and Nana Plaza.
Quoting this for after the Hangover II moment happens.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

jesus christ I want to die how do these people even handle it

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
In Indonesia, connections to the outside world are cheaper than local ones. For example, a 50Mbps line for non-Indonesia might cost you $500 and for the same price you might have 5Mbps for local Indonesian traffic. It's supposedly explained by the poor local infrastructure and all the islands (making cabling difficult, some islands use microwave antennas to transfer traffic I think). Philippines have a similar problem as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

CronoGamer posted:

jesus christ I want to die how do these people even handle it
Yeah, but look at that ping! You can probably rip it on BBS door games, dude.