Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ulu posted:

My game got a very nice review on 148apps.com, so i'm posting it, in case someone is interested in a free word game : http://www.148apps.com/reviews/morphem-review/

Just wanted to say thanks for not making a new thread about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Parkingtigers posted:

Incidentally, I'm now using this Panzer Corps unit name generator: http://panzercorps.worldwar2.ro/unit_name_generator.php
Makes it better, definitely worth using.

What is this and how do I use it?

Ulu
Nov 7, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

Just wanted to say thanks for not making a new thread about it.

While it's true that it's just shameless advertising, i'm not that shameless.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

rotaryfun posted:

What is this and how do I use it?

Generate a session key, then write it down so you can return to the list on future visits. The game doesn't have historically accurate unit names because that would mean they couldn't sell Panzer Corps in some countries. It's also why SS divisions are SE "special elites".

This is my list so far, since I discovered it:

I just had some major losses in my first battle in the Low Countries. The fortress of Eben-Emael was my breach point, and an advance force of pioneers and fallshirmjäger were sent in by glider to weaken the fortifications before my army stormed the bridges. After breaking through my forces moved north and south start taking objectives at the rear of the defensive line. I made two big mistakes though. First I spread my forces too thin, and I sent a small group to assault the main fortifications outside Maastrict. My northern forces were able to take their objective, then swing back to assault Maastrict from the rear. The southern group, heading for Liege, discovered that while the Belgians had no tanks, they had a lot of infantry. In fact they had all the infantry. Coupled with some Blenheim tactical bombers, I lost several infantry units, two thirds of my artillery, my Panzerjäger and my shiny new Panzer IVs. The Belgian infantry pushed back so hard they even recaptured Eben-Emael briefly, but the northern forces were able to dislodge them again, settling for a marginal victory with the failure to capture Liege.

Now moving on to the Albert Canal. My air force is still intact, but even so I'm below full strength. Battles turn so quickly in this game, get three decisive victories in a row, lose focus, and suddenly I'm writing telegrams home to the parents of my best units.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Okay, so after a while of having an ipad I finally bit the bullet and got an iphone too (5c if it matters much).
I have a good chunk of apps already but I'm quickly seeing that many haven't translated their playability (or ability to see what I'm doing) over from pad to phone terribly well.
What games work better on iphone than ipad? Ridiculous fishing is a hell of a lot better to play on the iphone, I've noticed.
Tend to dislike the more arcadey stuff but I've already seen that point and click style adventures are more than a little fiddly.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
So is there a way to rename your units?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

rotaryfun posted:

So is there a way to rename your units?

On the unit details screen, just tap on the name.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Just wanted to toss my love of Hoplite into the mix--the game is so addictive and totally worth the $1.99 in my opinion. It's almost like the love-child of DROD and a roguelike, but immediately accessible and just long and challenging enough to keep me coming back.

Great game.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I'll throw my voice in as well - Hoplite really is wonderful, and everyone interested in either roguelikes or puzzle games should get it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Hoplite is a nice mix of puzzle and roguelike elements.

Is there any benefit to progressing beyond the fleece on level 16 (other than points)?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

totalnewbie posted:

Hoplite is a nice mix of puzzle and roguelike elements.

Is there any benefit to progressing beyond the fleece on level 16 (other than points)?

There is one challenge that requires going to a certain depth. But I think that is it.

Hopefully they will make more campaigns.

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

Your notes on unit placement and support make Corps sound identical to Panzer General. (Which makes perfect sense and is a Good Thing. Just saying.)

On a similar tack, is there anything for iOS that's has a feel similar to the Myth games? (The Fallen Lords/Soulblighter)

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
There's an achievement for taking the fleece to 27. Has anybody had success with the speed run achievement? You can really only take about 8 moves per floor to have enough to reach the fleece and escape. But some of the lava layouts and forced moves make it ridiculously difficult. It also basically ends up as an atheism run for me since I don't feel like I have time to hit shrines.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Any chance you could do a short review or an overview of the setting/story, character creation, and systems? Since Beamdog is still making GBS threads itself to death (or the AppStore is loving everything up, it's hard to tell), I'm becoming increasingly interested in The Shadow Sun.

First off, given the control/platform limitations and overall technical fidelity of the visuals, it probably would be closer to a 00's CRPG that was co-developed for the original XBOX (just to set expectations).

Things I like:
The fantasy Middle-Eastern/Byzantine setting, which makes for a pleasingly colorful, racially-diverse background.
The music, which is reminiscent of a less bombastic version of the Outcast OST.
The exploration/quests are pretty standard (get the thing, kill the guys), but the game is usually pretty good about providing a few different approaches, and about not having a big arrow point where to go constantly. You might even want to take a few notes!
Barter is actually a useful skill to take!
You can manually save anywhere and the autosaving tends to be really good.

Things I don't like so much:
Movement controls, which wouldn't be so bad if a number of the doors didn't have pillars around them that make bumbling through a bit of a chore.
A few of the combat encounters will just kill you, and you are basically expected to come back to them later after you have leveled up. Happily, I never had any of those instances where I didn't autoload right outside the combat location.

Things I am middling on:
The combat is pretty straightforward auto-attack/cooldown abilities/timed-prompt criticals, which makes many of the fights pretty samey, but there have been a few fights where I get hosed a few times and reloaded to try out laying traps in stealth mode and switching equipment out to prevent specific elemental damage, as well as using some temporary added-damage consumables. Comparing it to my experience with the first Avadon's combat: Sloppier and less tactically complex, but much less of a slog, esp. once you get a few skills under your belt.
The support characters are distinct and useful, and they do the whole "I like/do not like that choice you just made" affinity thing pretty well. The trouble is, they have a really small range of repeated voiceover lines, and the acting ain't great.

I can't speak much to the overall plot, but it is b-movie solid so far, and has already thrown a few curveballs.
I also can't speak much to different character builds than my own (Assassin/diplomatic with a few damage/status effect spells), but the skill variety/character build options seem pretty decent?

To help you calibrate for my tastes: I burned out on Avadon: The Black Fortress. I loved Companions. I bet I will finish The Shadow Sun.

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

Tiramisu posted:

There's an achievement for taking the fleece to 27. Has anybody had success with the speed run achievement? You can really only take about 8 moves per floor to have enough to reach the fleece and escape. But some of the lava layouts and forced moves make it ridiculously difficult. It also basically ends up as an atheism run for me since I don't feel like I have time to hit shrines.

I spent 1-9 getting basically energy and life as fast as I could, 10 getting the winged boots (+2 jump), and then just rushing shrine for life/energy regen and stairs after.

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see

Ulu posted:

My game got a very nice review on 148apps.com, so i'm posting it, in case someone is interested in a free word game : http://www.148apps.com/reviews/morphem-review/

Your game is great, good work.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

In Hoplite, does anyone take anything other than the Regeneration ability on floor 6? It just seems so much better than all the other options, meaning I can devote 7-16 purely to max health ups and sweet upgrades. Maybe I'm just bad at the game and need to take less damage...

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Danger Doug posted:

My search for an RPG that I can create a character and run around and run other people's errands for them has led me to Aralon. I am seeing a lot of mixed reviews, and I typically avoid games where IAP is essentially a requirement. Is Aralon worth looking at these days (I see it's a few years old), or is there something better?

Sounds like Questlord or The Quest is what you should be looking at.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Original_Z posted:

Sounds like Questlord or The Quest is what you should be looking at.

Questlord looks awesome :eyepop: Is it actually as good as it looks and how well does it play on iPad? The low-res art looks like it might not scale up well to a larger screen.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Arcturas posted:

In Hoplite, does anyone take anything other than the Regeneration ability on floor 6? It just seems so much better than all the other options, meaning I can devote 7-16 purely to max health ups and sweet upgrades. Maybe I'm just bad at the game and need to take less damage...

Agility and Surge can easily save you from taking damage in the first place, rendering Regeneration's benefit useless. It's a matter of personal preference though, and there are some times when taking a hit or two will help clear the rest of the level without any further damage, especially when you go deeper with the Fleece.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Ulu posted:

Word game sperg here and this is a pretty good game.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Now that NimbleBit is publishing they should find a way to bring Gladius to iOS. They've worked with Disney who owns LucasArts stuff right?

I'm not sure if that was even a popular game let alone a classic, but I loved it!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

quiggy stardust posted:

Questlord looks awesome :eyepop: Is it actually as good as it looks and how well does it play on iPad? The low-res art looks like it might not scale up well to a larger screen.

Unfortunately I've only played it on the iPhone so I don't know how it would fare on an iPad. It is a good game though, lots of things to do and really captures the old CRPG feel. I really enjoyed playing it to the end.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

quiggy stardust posted:

It is pretty drat good, and even has a rogue-like mode if you don't want to play through the actual non-random quest. It looks a little blocky on the pad and the interface is pretty clearly designed with a smaller screen in mind, but it is still good.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

snooman posted:

Your notes on unit placement and support make Corps sound identical to Panzer General. (Which makes perfect sense and is a Good Thing. Just saying.)

Panzer Corps is pretty much a literal remake of Panzer General. Better though, as it has all the modern bells and whistles, and ongoing support.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Arcturas posted:

In Hoplite, does anyone take anything other than the Regeneration ability on floor 6?

I know you don't get any reward for killing, but when it all lines up right and Agility lets you clear the floor in one endless chain of free moves it's hard to imagine taking anything else.

The other one's been useful occasionally though.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Arcturas posted:

I usually take Regeneration, but I did realize that the other one might enable you to jump all over the loving place, which can be extremely useful.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Underwhelmed posted:

It is pretty drat good, and even has a rogue-like mode if you don't want to play through the actual non-random quest. It looks a little blocky on the pad and the interface is pretty clearly designed with a smaller screen in mind, but it is still good.

Awesome, thanks. I'll pick it up next time I'm looking to burn some money on a game.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Thanks for the writeup. I will probably give it a go.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is Battle of the Bulge difficult for someone not too familiar with strategy games?

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

101 posted:

Is Battle of the Bulge difficult for someone not too familiar with strategy games?

not really, its a very approachable war-game.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Braincloud posted:

Aw I'll probably never get there. The last week of summer missions crash my iPad 2. :(

Quoting an old post and this is slightly off topic, but since I worked my rear end off on this might as well let people know. If you were playing the game and hit a hardware wall because of the iPad 2 and mini memory limit, well... I didn't fix that (yet) but if you have a Mac you can pick up where you left off now. The Mac version uses the same iCloud file as iOS so as long as you have iCloud on all your devices and the game is synced up you can play on Mac with keyboard controls.

It took so long because Apple rejected it 3 times for some strange bug I couldn't replicate, then suddenly, today, after I gave up a week ago, reverted and approved it super quick. :iiam: But anyway, Mac version is free as well.

edit this post made no sense, sorry. Playground Wars Mac version is out.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Samara posted:

not really, its a very approachable war-game.

Alright, sold.

Thanks

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Jake Armitage posted:

Playground Wars Mac version is out.

Dope! I've been enjoying your game very much over the last month. I spent a couple extra value menu meals on it cause it's fun cheating and I wanted to support you.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm a bit confused on Hoplite. I can lunge at a demon by moving adjacent to it but not every time. I can also jump and attack demons/archers but not all the time.

I feel like I'm missing something in the mechanics that isn't completely covered by the tutorial.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

Thwomp posted:

I'm a bit confused on Hoplite. I can lunge at a demon by moving adjacent to it but not every time. I can also jump and attack demons/archers but not all the time.

I feel like I'm missing something in the mechanics that isn't completely covered by the tutorial.

Lunge only works if you move straight toward the enemy while holding your spear. Otherwise, you can also kill an enemy if you are adjacent to it and then move to another tile which is also adjacent. Not sure if that makes sense. Basically you can kill an enemy either by moving around/to the side of it or in a straight line toward it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

snooman posted:

On a similar tack, is there anything for iOS that's has a feel similar to the Myth games? (The Fallen Lords/Soulblighter)

I've been thinking the same thing. gently caress, the short-version campaign that ships with the basic version of it looks like it has an identical tree and identical objectives to the old PG.

Not that this is a bad thing. OG PG was fun as gently caress and when I eventually get a nicer iPad and some real spare time I'm sure I"ll pick up Corps.

Motley
Nov 1, 2013
Can anyone tell me how Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and Warhammer Quest are? I don't usually spend money on apps but these both seem promising.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Random question that I figured people here would know: Is there a thread somewhere that deals with really cool, useful non-game apps? I coudln't find an iOS thread over in SH/SC and even cruised PYF to see if there might be a thing there.

Basically I'd just prefer a single thread like this one to follow rather than actually do any work tracking blogs and review sites, because I'm lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It's in Inspect Your Gadgets. I'd link but on tablet.

• Locked thread