Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Yeah these songs are really awesome. It's always cool to hear stuff like this, and from a band that's recently split up, it's even sweeter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJVoYBSuOqE

Really good! I was just bumming out about TMV not being around, and now it's blasting through my speakers.

nazutul
Jul 12, 2006
Lemme tell you something, boy
In 2007, the Mars Volta did an acoustic set in their show where they played a couple songs, like 5 or 6. I used to have the songs but I've been unable to find the files. Anyone know where I can find those songs? Been checking archive.org and youtube to no avail.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

I think those may be on their vevo youtube channel. There's an odd amount of acoustic versions on there.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
All I've heard in regards to Volta acoustically is that wicked rendition of The Widow that was on the Frances The Mute single. I cannot beieve Cedric has turned into the singer he has, it's astounding.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Glamorama26 posted:

All I've heard in regards to Volta acoustically is that wicked rendition of The Widow that was on the Frances The Mute single. I cannot beieve Cedric has turned into the singer he has, it's astounding.

TMV never really put out good live songs on EPs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuGXz6H54Js

I mean, this track has Cedric misspeaking one of the lines to Televators.

I cannot wait to see what ZAVALAZ turns out to be.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Webbeh posted:

TMV never really put out good live songs on EPs.

Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gpB9kb0haw

:colbert:

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

How could I forget about Scabdates?

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Drunkship of Lanterns with the Cygnus Vismund Cygnus interlude on the Live EP is astounding.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

That was a good movie. TMV were a good band. Ou sont les nieges d'antan?

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Earwicker posted:

That was a good movie. TMV were a good band. Ou sont les nieges d'antan?

Surprise surprise, Omar has a new side project.

http://www.noisyghostpr.com/album/hiding-in-the-light/

quote:

The hazy horizon of Los Angeles. Since it proves perpetually unpredictable, it is not odd when one finds their co-conspirators in disparate locales, often smoothing out the vague and jagged status quos that are only a figment of our own minds anyway. Enter Kimono Kult, who’s initiates include current and ex- members of Mars Volta, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bosnian Rainbows, Swahili Blonde, Le Butcherettes, Dante Vs. Zombies, and Raw Geronimo – all who are adamant that this is not some “all-star” vanity project. In fact, one cannot even SEE Kimono Kult – one can only HEAR Kimono Kult (in theory with the true definition of OCCULT as “something hidden”).

A new project recorded, produced and shot-called by Neurotic Yell CEO and Swahili Blonde mastermind Nicole Turley, Kimono Kult synthesizes all the signature styles and influences from a cream of crop wrecking crew she has at her immediate grasp. Vocally fronted by the untamable Teri Gender Bender (Le Butcherettes, Bosnian Rainbows) their debut EP Hiding In The Light are four songs of electro/dub/afro-beat/avant-freak/jazz-like conversations of instrumental ecstasy.

Opening the record, you hear Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (Mars Volta, Bosnian Rainbows) backwards string-arrangement on “Todo Memos el Dolor” (“Everything, Anything But The Pain”)
, initially reminiscent of Scott Walker’s “It’s Raining Today” before the drum machines anchor it into more modern territory. Teri’s shrill vocals plead with hybrid emotion as they tip-toe through the minimalist abstraction, while hallucinatory synths help narrate the tapestry. “Las Esposas” (The Wives) begins with a mysterious spoken-word intro, referencing a taunting, dusty 16mm film that may hold such Jodorowskian phantasmagoria, beckoning the character like an estranged lover as Omar’s slithering guitar line interlaces science-fiction beeps/bloops over Nicole’s pounding electro-rhythm. “La Vida Es Una Caja Hermosa” (Life Is A Beautiful Box) sees some fractured, sour synths filling voids between a post-punk dub foundation, while guitar interplay between Dante White (Dante Vs. Zombies, Starlite Desperation) and John Frusciante help build a mountain of subtle sonic thunder before it all dissolves gingerly into unanticipated silence. The EP ends with it’s catchiest accessible track “La Cancion de Alexandra” (Song Of Alexandra), an anthemic procession of self-realization where devotion and sacrifice hold hands. Some playfully sophisticated strings from Laena Geronimo (Raw Geronimo) push and pull with dueling trumpet lines to the forefront of this defiant, re-imagined march, Terri Gender Bender taking the role of the writhing Pied Piper as the credits begin to roll of this brief but incredibly resonant recording.

http://neuroticyellrecords.bandcamp.com/album/hiding-in-the-light

quote:

'Hiding in the Light' by Kimono Kult

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez - guitar, synths, strings
Teri Gender Bender - vocals, guitar
John Frusciante - guitar
Nicole Turley - drum machine, bass, synths, trumpets, backing vocals
Dante White-Aliano - guitar, synths
Laena Geronimo - bass, violin, trumpets

Tracklist:
1. Todo Menos El Dolor ("Everything, Anything But The Pain")
2. Las Esposas ("The Wives")
3. La Vida Es Una Caja Hermosa ("Life Is A Beautiful Box")
4. La Cancion De Alejandra ("Song Of Alexander")

Release March 4th 2014 on Neurotic Yell.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

$5, you can't play any of the songs.

gently caress Omar's business practices.

FoppSomms
Oct 9, 2007
It's a pre-order, so I assume there aren't any songs ready yet to play. As for business practices, are you upset at the ability to stream, for free, all of the music he's recorded, ever?

travislopes
Jun 4, 2011
Some samples of the album are up on Amazon.

And since it's somewhat related considering he was in the band for a while, John Frusciante produced a new album with Black Knights that comes out on Tuesday. One of the tracks is below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4-SNlxXu-g

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

travislopes posted:

Some samples of the album are up on Amazon.
Man, I miss Ximena.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

WASDF posted:

uh.. isn't that how any kind of pre-order generally works? I don't think Omar came up with the model.

I'm interested but not getting my hopes up- Bosnian Rainbows is decent I guess but I find that most of their songs get pretty boring after one or two listens.

M_W
Jan 12, 2014

Webbeh posted:

Man, I miss Ximena.
Ximena Sariñana made Solar Gambling for me. As much of a fan of TMV I am, Omar's solo work has been pretty hit-or-miss with me.

EDIT: Also, I feel as if I'm obligated to love everything Teri Gender Bender is in, even Bosnian Rainbows, reason for the TMV breakup or not.

WASDF posted:

Huh? Five dollars is pretty reasonable for an album, finished or not. Even if the all the songs were completed, the band isn't obligated to stream their music for free. It's nice when they do, yeah, but I'd say there are far worse crimes when it comes to music publication.

M_W fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 12, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I want to unsubscribe from this depressing loving thread but I know as soon as I do there's going to be news about the TMV career spanning film/dvd/doc/recipe-for-salmon-bake/whatever.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Teri AND Froosh, GOTTDAMN.

M_W
Jan 12, 2014

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I want to unsubscribe from this depressing loving thread but I know as soon as I do there's going to be news about the TMV career spanning film/dvd/doc/recipe-for-salmon-bake/whatever.
SPOILER ALERT: They got the salmon bake recipe from a Ouija board.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I wonder if either Cedric or Omar still harbor feelings that a cursed ouija board killed their band. Their parsing for those interviews made it hard to tell if they were crazy and trying not to seem too crazy or just promoting.

M_W
Jan 12, 2014

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I wonder if either Cedric or Omar still harbor feelings that a cursed ouija board killed their band. Their parsing for those interviews made it hard to tell if they were crazy and trying not to seem too crazy or just promoting.

I don't know about all that, but I know that Cedric has a strange fascination with Scientology now, if the Noctourniquet interviews are any indication.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/kimono-kult-fight-the-pain-in-todo-menos-el-dolor-song-premiere-20140116

quote:

Kimono Kult count current and former members of the Mars Volta, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Bosnian Rainbows to their rosters. The new group is set to release a four-song debut EP, Hiding in the Light, on March 4th, and now you can get an exclusive first listen to their song "Todo Menos El Dolor."

The experimental track, which translates to "Everything, Anything but the Pain," fuses the backwards string arrangements of member Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (Mars Volta, At the Drive-In) with the sharp bilingual vocal line of Teri Gender Bender, plus a bevy of drum machines overseen by Swahili Blonde drummer Nicole Turley.

"The Spanish language is so beautiful that it has the right to be approached in any way possible," Gender Bender, of Bosnian Rainbows fame, tells Rolling Stone. "There is so much left to explore – pronunciation, etc. Because Spanish-speaking singers are strict with so many unspoken rules, I approached my mother language as if I were an alien from outer space. That was the mindset."

"Kimono Kult approaches the music in a completely original way, allowing for the imagination to flow," she adds. "The lyric to 'Todo Menos el Dolor' is for the listener's imagination. Spanish speaking or not, it goes way beyond language and [is] more about atmosphere. To me it could be a story about an alien that wanted to eat cats but it caused the critter so much pain [that] he became a vegetarian. Every interpretation is valid. "

The album was recorded and produced by Turley, who also operates the EP's issuing label, Neurotic Yell. She touts the collective's initial EP in press materials as "four songs of electro/dub/afro-beat/avant-freak/jazz-like conversations of instrumental ecstasy."

Aside from Rodriguez-Lopez (who is also of Bosnian Rainbows), Gender Bender (Le Butcherettes) and Turley (WEAVE!), the troupe includes contributors John Frusciante (formerly of the Red Hot Chili Peppers), string musician Laena Geronimo (Raw Geronimo) and guitarist Dante White (Dante Vs. Zombies, Starlite Desperation).

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/kimono-kult-fight-the-pain-in-todo-menos-el-dolor-song-premiere-20140116#ixzz2qbnsbz00
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

About what I expected from the teasers on Amazon. :sigh:

God damnit, Omar.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
Where to begin?

On February 18th, an insider posted that The Mars Volta will play again in 2015.

Two days later, on February 20th, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, Bosnian Rainbows, and Rodriguez-Lopez Productions were all removed from Sergeant House and Bandcamp.

Strange poo poo is afoot, noodlers.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Hopefully that's just temporary. Omar's catalogue is so vast and kind of impenetrable that you kind of need the try before you buy model. Without it, who knows whether you'll get a xenophanes or a despair?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:stare:

Well if they really are reuniting (at least for some shows even if no new material comes out of it), that was certainly a short hiatus.

Shelf Adventure posted:

Hopefully that's just temporary. Omar's catalogue is so vast and kind of impenetrable that you kind of need the try before you buy model. Without it, who knows whether you'll get a xenophanes or a despair?
Hahahaha

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
Nicci Kasper (of Bosnian Rainbows) seems to be really unhappy with the news.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
I'm pretty pissed off that I can't get download my mp3s that i paid for from bandcamp and sargenthouse because i delayed using my dl codes.

Also all the "Lopez Family" stores have disappeared from Hello Merch, except Bosnian Rainbows. Hoping this is some sort of contract crap that will get sorted.

Giga Gaia fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 23, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
just gently caress already you two, jesus

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

travislopes
Jun 4, 2011
New track up on Omar's Bandcamp by "Nadie" called "Winter's Gone"

http://omarrodriguezlopez.bandcamp.com/track/winters-gone

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Things are definitely happening, that's for sure.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

travislopes posted:

Just for those that don't speak Spanish, nadie means nobody.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

travislopes posted:

I never thought I'd hear Omar taking on vocals like this.

quote:

"If you asked me, it sounds like a musical response by Omar to the events of the last few weeks. I'm gonna get in so much trouble..." -Bittman

Really really want to know what the gently caress happened.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

its not a terrible song i guess but it's pretty bad for an Omar song. WTF?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I think it's possible to read the lyrics as having to do with rebuilding his relationship with Cedric. Not sure it's really supposed to be a full-fledged song.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Earwicker posted:

its not a terrible song i guess but it's pretty bad for an Omar song. WTF?

what.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just listened to it. The vocals could have really benefitted from some processing, but they aren't that bad the way they are. It's a nice little tune.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Knowing that Omar made Despair I would not say this is one of his bad songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
Huuuuuur catchphrases are fun, and cats huurrr
So any word on what happened?

• Locked thread