Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I thought Snow Crash made a huge deal about how the pizza delivery cars had big sticky tires with contact strips as wide as a fat woman's thighs, and YT's board had smart wheels which are actually dozens of little feet arranged in a wheel that can independently push against the ground and ride over almost any surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
The sunken ship on Liberty Island, I normally open by painstakingly pushing a crate of explosive directly over the hatch in the water, and shooting it with my pistol. With the crate directly over the hatch, blowing the crate will also blast open the hatch. Also, great to see a Bobbin Threadbare LP of a game I have greatly loved. Looking forward to your continued LP!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't believe I never knew about those hidden medbots. :aaa:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Cicadalek posted:

YT didn't have rocket boots, she had a skateboard :colbert: She got around by latching onto cars with a magnet-harpoon thing. I am pretty sure that Deus Ex would be like 70% better if they had copied this idea

Literature Corner made me wonder, are there any authors doing cyberpunk currently besides Stephenson and Gibson? Closest thing I can think of that I have read is the various Warhammer 40k Dan Abnett novels where the characters are on a city planet. I guess they're not really cyberpunk when everyone has forgotten how technology works though.

Cyberpunk has fallen by the wayside, as, some people have put it, we're living it now. It's not as popular now as it was when it looked like Japan was going to take over the world's economy, business didn't actually control everything, and the internet was just beginning. You still definitely find it here and there, but you'll probably find it outside of conventional novel and literature based media.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

muike posted:

Cyberpunk has fallen by the wayside, as, some people have put it, we're living it now. It's not as popular now as it was when it looked like Japan was going to take over the world's economy, business didn't actually control everything, and the internet was just beginning. You still definitely find it here and there, but you'll probably find it outside of conventional novel and literature based media.

Wrong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altered_Carbon

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah but that book sucks a whole lot

e: it failed to take away the lessons that kept cyberpunk from thriving or evolving as a genre, mainly it still feels by and large like wish fulfillment for an authorial stand-in

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Actually that book owns a lot. It's the sequels that are where things get lovely.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Was I the only one that cried a little bit when Bobbin used a medkit instead of going back to the healbot?

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Sibling of TB posted:

YT's board had smart wheels which are actually dozens of little feet arranged in a wheel that can independently push against the ground and ride over almost any surface.

I'm almost certainly misinterpreting that, but it sounds a great deal like Twoflower's luggage.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Was I the only one that cried a little bit when Bobbin used a medkit instead of going back to the healbot?

I know I did, but the camera was rolling and I had a pier to explore.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The sacrifices you make for us...

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The very first time I played this game I did not realise that the tranq darts are damage-over-time. I thought that three or four shots do the trick and I just would empty a clip per enemy. Oh, non-lethality... What would I not do for you!

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I know on mine, what would look like a half hour of screenshots was usually several hours of sneaking around, saving, re-loading, shooting sequence, crawling back to healbots and other resources...

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Hiro Protagonist is my #1 favorite protagonist name. Meta as gently caress.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

:confused: I always had full health packs at the end of the game, and I played on realistic difficulty.

I understand why you didn't but come one man. :v:

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I'm okay with Bobbin never using a medibot :colbert:

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
But what about installing the nano upgrades?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I knew about the medbots near the start... But I had NEVER seen that there was a 2nd locked hatch, this loving game, still teaching me things.

Looking forward to continue learning new little things I've somehow missed over the years.

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe

Cicadalek posted:

Literature Corner made me wonder, are there any authors doing cyberpunk currently besides Stephenson and Gibson? Closest thing I can think of that I have read is the various Warhammer 40k Dan Abnett novels where the characters are on a city planet. I guess they're not really cyberpunk when everyone has forgotten how technology works though.

The whole 40k universe seems to fit more of a Cyber Feudalism setting in the books, although I imagine Rogue Trader captures more of the qualities associated with Cyberpunk.

I love your LPs Bobbin, especially your Alpha Protocal thread. I've explored Deus Ex quite a bit myself but I find the information and thoroughness that your LPs contain is more than enough to keep me hooked! I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Eumenides posted:

I love your LPs Bobbin, especially your Alpha Protocal thread. I've explored Deus Ex quite a bit myself but I find the information and thoroughness that your LPs contain is more than enough to keep me hooked! I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Deus Ex is one of those games it's next to impossible to "fully" or even "thoroughly" show off. You'd have to have the proper playthrough, a speedrun, a "Glitchy walkthrough" and even then there would still be stuff you missed.

Edit - Oh yeah, and an Ultimate run, just for the fun of it.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 14, 2014

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Eumenides posted:

The whole 40k universe seems to fit more of a Cyber Feudalism setting in the books, although I imagine Rogue Trader captures more of the qualities associated with Cyberpunk.

Rogue Trader is more colonialism, politics, trading or exploration, depending how you play it. 40k has a lot of augmentation, but no widespread computer networks (machine uprising in the setting's past means robots, AI and extensive networks are very much banned) and not really any huge corporations - Rogue Traders are sort of an exception, but even they need an official warrant from the Imperium's authorities which can and will be revoked if they start to outstrip the Imperium in power. Plus the Warrants of Trade are hereditary, which really makes it more feudal and less corporate.

Is Feudalpunk a term yet?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Those hidden medbots! That ship filled with weapon mods :psypop:

Deus Ex, I never knew ye.

The baton, by the way, is the greatest goddamn weapon. One inventory slot and with 2nd or 3rd level unarmed skill it becomes an absolute powerhouse. Plus, it has a very satisfying wap noise.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

GetWellGamers posted:

I've never made it past Paris doing a pacifist run. Just too many of the harder enemies and too little of the relevant ammo.

The truly insane runs are the no-item runs. It's possible to get through using only the key ring, but it involves a lot of environmental tactics such as setting enemies up to get metal boxes thrown atop their heads again and again until they die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAVRpvgYVMg

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Blastinus posted:

I honestly never found a use for the mini-crossbow. Most of the time, the enemy you're trying to knock out will make too much noise firing at you for it to really be considered stealthy, and the regular darts never did enough damage to merit using either. Perhaps there's more to the weapon, but so far as I can tell, it's just there so you can go nonlethal without wasting your Prod.

Belatedly, I know most people just consider it a "tranq dart crossbow", but I've heard that if you use the normal darts it's possible to get silent headshot kills. I'm not sure how many points you have to put into pistols to make that happen though (or if you need weapon mods).

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

J.theYellow posted:

The truly insane runs are the no-item runs. It's possible to get through using only the key ring, but it involves a lot of environmental tactics such as setting enemies up to get metal boxes thrown atop their heads again and again until they die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAVRpvgYVMg

The no-item (+no money/skills/flashlight/etc.) run is actually a lot of fun if you know the strategies (mainly: where to find TNT crates and datacubes). But only for the first two-thirds of the game. The only way to recover health is using medical bots, and although you wouldn't realise it, there are some brutally long stretches towards the end of the game where there simply aren't any. The worst stretch is from Vandenberg to the Area 51 bunker, which includes the entire OceanLab and Missile Silo missions. I ended up save-scumming pretty egregiously.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I just have to check, is there a reason why you skipped the extra dialogue with Paul in the beginning or did you just forget about it?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Tehan posted:

Rogue Trader is more colonialism, politics, trading or exploration, depending how you play it. 40k has a lot of augmentation, but no widespread computer networks (machine uprising in the setting's past means robots, AI and extensive networks are very much banned) and not really any huge corporations - Rogue Traders are sort of an exception, but even they need an official warrant from the Imperium's authorities which can and will be revoked if they start to outstrip the Imperium in power. Plus the Warrants of Trade are hereditary, which really makes it more feudal and less corporate.

Is Feudalpunk a term yet?

The Inquisition books are very much Cyberpunk. Giant Trade Consortiums and their shady dealings (with aliens and demons but still shady Corporation stuff), the corrupt governments and the ruthlessly repressed underclass, insanely wasteful robots (planet under constant acid rain? Build robot birds so we can have useless pigeons too) and incredibly wasteful use for menial labor (scan in texts to archive them? Nah, better to just hire ten thousand people to type it all in by hand every day).
A huge Tech Divide is very much classic Cyberpunk - we see it in Deus Ex too: The difference between UNATCOs nanomachine augmented agents and the poor people who don't even have a non-lovely set of clothes dieing of plague is pretty stark.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

unfair posted:

Belatedly, I know most people just consider it a "tranq dart crossbow", but I've heard that if you use the normal darts it's possible to get silent headshot kills. I'm not sure how many points you have to put into pistols to make that happen though (or if you need weapon mods).

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It's been a while since I've played, but I seem to remember smoking some of the heavy mooks towards the end with the crossbow from vent ducts and so on. Usually you have to get the angle just right though, because I found that if you're not aiming for the very top of the model's head you're not going to tag the hitbox reliably and get a body shot instead. If you can shoot down from above, though, it's really effective.

I also found that the tranqs were really good for dealing with some of the animals that show up later.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

unfair posted:

It's very possible, you don't even have to put many points in it at all. Also you can arc the darts with a little practise and nail people behind boxes and stuff.

In fact I seem to remember that the base damage of the crossbow darts actually is higher than the base damage of the pistol.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's very possible, you don't even have to put many points in it at all. Also you can arc the darts with a little practise and nail people behind boxes and stuff.

In fact I seem to remember that the base damage of the crossbow darts actually is higher than the base damage of the pistol.

Eleven points more, in fact. It's an effective means of silent death well into the late game, but the downsides are the arcing projectile, the slow firing rate, the tiny magazine, and the relatively rare ammo.

Cooked Auto posted:

I just have to check, is there a reason why you skipped the extra dialogue with Paul in the beginning or did you just forget about it?

Forgot about it, but I remembered before the end of the mission, if you read my video description.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Forgot about it, but I remembered before the end of the mission, if you read my video description.

Ah, to my excuse I rarely tend to read the descriptions for LP videos.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The only thing I noticed that you missed is a lockpick on the bench near those guys who look like they should talk to each other but don't.

Keep up the good work.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

unfair posted:

The Shifter Mod improvement makes flare arrows set targets on fire, which is what Bobbin was thinking about.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
All this talk of accuracy, and i finally remember the laser sight glitch: attach a laser sight to any weapon that can take it, and as long as the laser is turned on, you'll have perfect accuracy. Slightly useful for the crossbow, much more useful for the hitscan weapons.

Also, I must ask: Bobbin, what IS your "baby" that you spoke of in the video? If it is what I think it is, you and I think alike.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

bman in 2288 posted:

Also, I must ask: Bobbin, what IS your "baby" that you spoke of in the video? If it is what I think it is, you and I think alike.

Clearly, he's talking about the PS20. It's the best weapon in the game! :shepface:

(I don't actually know of anyone who's ever seriously used the thing.)

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

Clearly, he's talking about the PS20. It's the best weapon in the game! :shepface:

I have tried.

I have tried SO HARD.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I was a little disappointed to hear you put down the pepper spray, that stuff is way more useful than you'd think. Just run up to dudes and incapacitate them, step behind them and knock 'em out. Or you can just run past them while they're crying, whatever. It's great fun for crowds!

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Trick Question posted:

I was a little disappointed to hear you put down the pepper spray, that stuff is way more useful than you'd think. Just run up to dudes and incapacitate them, step behind them and knock 'em out. Or you can just run past them while they're crying, whatever. It's great fun for crowds!

Based on my experiences I had while toying with the Pepper Spray on my most recent run, I'm going to second this. While it's only as effective at incapacitating single enemies as a single jab from the prod, the one big advantage that the Spray does have is that it can be easily used on multiple opponents at once. Very handy if you want to stop a pack of NSF halfwits from filling you full of lead so you can make a quick escape.

The Gas Grenades are this in a more controlled release as well. Toss one in a crowd and watch as your hapless victims stop to rub their eyes like the fools that they are! :black101:

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Fire extinguishers are great too.

If I recall you can keep using an extinguisher while wielding other weapons. (You use the extinguisher from the inventory screen.) Very useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

I think I may have used it effectively against a greasel once. Usually they aren't worth the inventory space though.

• Locked thread