Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

I Might Be Adam posted:

This guitar has a weird crotch bulge.

Any acoustic reason for the guitar tumor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

what about those big ole tremolo blocks

My guess is that the problem is there's nowhere for the vibrations in the trem block to go.

It's just floating in a cavity and anchored with floating springs. So any energy that travels through the bridge will dissipate very quickly. If something the size of a trem block was installed flush to the wood, sure, it would probably help sustain, but mass alone won't do it.

That should make it more obvious.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

I hope that's 180gram virgin vinyl for OPTIMUM TONE

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

man thats gross posted:

My guess is that the problem is there's nowhere for the vibrations in the trem block to go.

It's just floating in a cavity and anchored with floating springs. So any energy that travels through the bridge will dissipate very quickly. If something the size of a trem block was installed flush to the wood, sure, it would probably help sustain, but mass alone won't do it.

That should make it more obvious.

okay but i still like dipping the pitch so that i can add inflection to stuff

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

okay but i still like dipping the pitch so that i can add inflection to stuff

:hf:

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Declan MacManus posted:

what about those big ole tremolo blocks

The problem with trem bridges is that they aren't fixed to the guitar, with a trem there is always a part of the bridge that is floating. Basically because the bridge isn't screwed tight the vibration from the strings doesn't transfer as well.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Fair Hallion posted:

guitars custom made for Man O War...
by none other than our dearest ED ROMAN

Look at that guitar in the middle. When the guitar is being played, wouldn't that rear strap button face upwards? Because if it is, lol at having to catch your guitar from falling out of the strap every 2 minutes.

Hell even if you put in strap locks, the screw would eventually come back up and out of the guitar from the weight.

Great design, Ed.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 13, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i want a strat

but brutaler

here is another brutal strat:

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

GreatGreen posted:

Look at that guitar in the middle. When the guitar is being played, wouldn't that rear strap button face upwards? Because if it is, lol at having to catch your guitar from falling out of the strap every 2 minutes.

Great design, Ed.

To be fair, Man'o'War probably commissioned them to be built that way. Some people will not listen when you point out design flaws in their ~~*~~Dream Axe~~*~~, it's pretty irritating when you build it as they want and they moan about not being able to reach the upper frets or it being hard to play.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Fair Hallion posted:

I hope that's 180gram virgin vinyl for OPTIMUM TONE

the whole guitar body is 180 gram virgin vinyl. It had to be standard black instead of a graphic picture disc because everyone knows that picture disc guitars sound like rear end.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

GreatGreen posted:

Hell even if you put in strap locks, the screw would eventually come back up and out of the guitar from the weight.

Great design, Ed.

If the strap goes around the waist and then over the left shoulder (as straps tend to do), then the strap wouldn't be straight up-and-down, it would be pulling from right-to-left. Plus people don't typically hold their guitars at perfect right angles to their body. I mean, some do but usually you have it at kind of a tilt. The strap lock would prevent the strap from popping off, the angle would prevent all the weight from being distributed to the screw.

The guitar's still stupid, though.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i'm not surprised but still i had no clue ed roman did work for the misfits

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
Needs more pointy bits.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

HollisBrown posted:

We're running low on ugly guitars. Can this thread be about ugly musicians now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNHIFM0Y87c

Harakiri Potter fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 13, 2014

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Using bass players for examples of ugly musicians is kind of cheating.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Mineaiki posted:

Yeah well gently caress you too :(

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Renegret posted:

Yeah well gently caress you too :(

Not you pumpkin, everybody else but you.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Tempus Fugit posted:

Not you pumpkin, everybody else but you.

:)

Dec 26, 2012

Stex T posted:

Any acoustic reason for the guitar tumor?

its an acoustic designed for that one fuckhead in college so when he sits down with it at a party you can "accidentally" slam the protrusion onto his dick

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Seriously, it's like a cod-piece.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Mineaiki posted:

how could you hate this face?

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
This guy owns
He made his guitar
its ugly as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFTd_Q45xX0

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Mineaiki posted:

OK here's Mick Mars, guitar player for Motley Crue:

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

Yeah, sure. Pick on the guy with ankylosing spondylitis :rolleyes:

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

HollisBrown posted:

OK here's Mick Mars, guitar player for Motley Crue:

He looks like one of those Skyrim vampires

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Skipopatomus posted:

Yeah, sure. Pick on the guy with ankylosing spondylitis :rolleyes:

that doesn't explain why he has moe szyslak's face though

Bolek
May 1, 2003

White Dog Eggs posted:

He looks like one of those Skyrim vampires

He looks like only one person and that is Lo Pan

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

comes along bort posted:

that doesn't explain why he has moe szyslak's face though

his face bones are fusing into something ugly and european

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Bolek posted:

He looks like only one person and that is Lo Pan

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Btw I don't give any fucks about his foot guitar, Ron Thal is one of the most gregarious sweet dudes ever he gets to have a foot guitar.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
I just saw this in ML

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

killhamster posted:

I just saw this in ML

I have no words about that bridge. No words (lol at the piezo).

I bet that guitar stinks too. See how the bare wood has gone dark? Sweat. Stuff loving stinks.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
that one causes me physical pain to look at

what did you do to that tele YOU MONSTER

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

mclast posted:

that one causes me physical pain to look at

what did you do to that tele YOU MONSTER

Why is the whammy-bar (for want of a better description) only on the G and B strings? Is that a home-made d-tuna on the first E string? I cannot fathom this guitar.

Also I have just finished the 'design' for this guitar I'm going to build, however I've done it on A2 paper and my camera won't take a decent picture of it, so I'll put it into a CAD plan when I've got a bit of free time. This guitar is going to be stupid.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

White Dog Eggs posted:

Why is the whammy-bar (for want of a better description) only on the G and B strings? Is that a home-made d-tuna on the first E string? I cannot fathom this guitar.

Also I have just finished the 'design' for this guitar I'm going to build, however I've done it on A2 paper and my camera won't take a decent picture of it, so I'll put it into a CAD plan when I've got a bit of free time. This guitar is going to be stupid.

It's like a ghetto B-Bender than people like Keith Richards have been known to use.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
yeah in case you ever want to throw half your strings out of tune

i was so busy looking at the bridge, the piezo thing (my guess was optical or midi output, and see the screw holding the cable in place? jesus) and the kill switch I didn't even notice there's no neck pickup

a shameful tele

White Dog Eggs posted:

:regd10:

Fitz
Sep 10, 2002
King of Cheese
Guys, I bet this guitar smells really bad.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
dude i'm eating :(

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

White Dog Eggs posted:

(lol at the piezo)

I think that's a GK synth pickup, so it's not quite as terrible, but yecchh :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJcyclopz
Feb 16, 2012

• Locked thread