Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

This along with episode one confirms it. Dandy is a terrible shot, he has yet to hit anything he has aimed at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

MonsterEnvy posted:

This along with episode one confirms it. Dandy is a terrible shot, he has yet to hit anything he has aimed at.

Space Dandy: the first sci-fi protagonist to suffer from Stormtrooper Syndrome.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Thirty-Five Minutes posted:

I don't find Dandy and the crew very likeable, and the sense of humour is kind of lacking,

The tone between 1 and 2 was pretty different, I felt like the first ep was a bad attempt at cribbing on Adult Swim type shows and didnt really pan out, Episode 2 had more of its own voice and was a lot more enjoyable. I hope it stays that way.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

Genocyber posted:

The fanservice episode is MA as opposed to TV14 :v:

It's the vagina-mouths. Definitely the vagina-mouths.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
The animation of the kung-fu sequence was horribly familiar. I know I've seen that style before. I even saw a Youtube compilation of sequences by the same person. However I'll be damned if I can find it again...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Daler Mehndi posted:

The animation of the kung-fu sequence was horribly familiar. I know I've seen that style before. I even saw a Youtube compilation of sequences by the same person. However I'll be damned if I can find it again...

I think based on some comments I read on some other site the guy you might be looking for is Bahi JD?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Daler Mehndi posted:

Edit: better video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIz2kQizx9g

(I mean, maybe this is what it reminds you of, not that it's this guy animating Space Dandy)

darkgray fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 13, 2014

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

After two episodes, the music is still the best thing about this series.

I don't really mean that in a good way.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I find myself liking certain sequences but not quite the whole package

For now it feels like it's less than the sum of its parts

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

darkgray posted:

Edit: better video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIz2kQizx9g

(I mean, maybe this is what it reminds you of, not that it's this guy animating Space Dandy)

I don't know who it was that animated that sequence in Space Dandy, but I do know that I immediately thought of Cowboy Bebop when I saw it.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Episode 2 was good fun and alleviated most of my doubts from episode 1, so consider me on board.

Dandy does seem to have a pretty liberal definition of a useful crewmate though.

Silentman0 posted:

What was up with some of Meow's Twitter messages converting to kanji?

In the grim illiteracy of the far future there is only overzealous auto-correct.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Elite posted:

Dandy does seem to have a pretty liberal definition of a useful crewmate though.

Well Dandy is... Dandy, and QT's OS is obsolete so his one real job with the crew (identifying unknown aliens) outside of the all-inclusive "play straight man to wild antics" has to be done with a book. The bar to entry on the crew is pretty low.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
This show has the same problem as Redline; All style, no substance.

the Gaffe posted:

You're right, but once I realized that I tried to let the show stand on its own. So far though, the show hasn't made me crack a smile at any of its jokes, and I don't have a vested interest in any of the characters or plot developments yet. I'll stick with it a few more episodes to see if that changes, of course, but it's on a slim line.

Also if the same musical staff is on this show as well, that hasn't lived up to their Bebop music at all :(

Thats exactly how I feel. I actually enjoy some Adult Swim type humor, but aside from the Ramen alien flashback, I haven't laughed once so far.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Daler Mehndi posted:

Takashi Mukouda did Scarlet's fight scene.

Here's a MAD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq0UPZ1ZR5c

aers fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 13, 2014

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

dundun posted:

That's not inherently a problem though.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

dundun posted:

Not sure what "substance" you found lacking in Redline. All the main and supporting characters had clear motivations and interesting backstories and the story was solid and well paced.

Dandy has been kinda dissapointing for me so far. I mean, comparing it to the first two eps of Bebop it's lacking in action, establishing a setting, and even humor. Not saying that the two are directly comparable since they're following different themes, but when your serious action future show set in space from 16 years ago is outdoing your wacky comedy future show set in space from now in humor, you got a problem. I dunno, something just seems a bit off.

Highlight for me from this ep is Dandy's disco walk up to Scarlet. Looks to me like the animator had a lot of fun drawing it.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Huh... I like this a lot less than I thought I would.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
It's a shame that the show is so divisive among people so far but I'm having a blast. This is the first genuine reason I've had to tune into Toonami other than giving them viewership in a while.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I feel a lot of people came in this show expecting Cowboy Bepop or some other expectations with no basis and are getting severely disappointed. I'm having fun with the show as well

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I found myself smiling/chuckling through most of episode 2. I came on here and was surprised to see so many people not digging it. Oh well I guess.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

boredsatellite posted:

I feel a lot of people came in this show expecting Cowboy Bepop or some other expectations with no basis and are getting severely disappointed. I'm having fun with the show as well

The staff for the show is basically a who's who of the best in the industry. The hype surrounding the show was imagine mushroom hunting, but a whole show of that. The teaser was really great. I wouldn't say there was no basis behind the high expectations.

The show is still a trip, it's just that so far, at least for me, it's not living up to the premise of cool times with a dandy guy in space (who turns out is not even really that dandy). Instead we get let's go to space hooters and eat weird ramen while a cat thing posts on twitter woo wee.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Genocyber posted:

The fanservice episode is MA as opposed to TV14 :v:

Fanservice usually doesn't get that. Adult Swim programs have to work to get that TV-MA. Rick and Morty uses the word "poo poo" unbleeped and it's still just TV-14. So I'd say it's something else, or they haven't actually rated the episode yet and are simply slapping that on the promo as a cautionary measure. I chuckled when their IGPX promos said "TV-14 LV" on them when the show never received anything higher than a TV-PG, and half had TV-Y7 ratings.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

The biggest draw for me is how expressive the show is. Meow's terrified face as he tries to rush for the wormhole while not spilling his Ramen is so rich.

LockHeart
Apr 8, 2005

I'll make Coach Haribo proud!
Trying to track someone by using a universe version of google street view... Amazing.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Another Titmouse animator working on this show is Jeremy Polgar. Here's his demo reel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDrj3Wf3npc

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'm amazed how many foreign animators they have working on this.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Neeksy posted:

I'm amazed how many foreign animators they have working on this.

Welcome to the 21st century, Space Cowboy.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Despite everything, Dandy is a p cool guy.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
I feel terrible, friends. The first two episodes entertained me enough, I suppose, but I just have no motivation to go on watching it. I will probably give it a whole chance (i.e. 4 full episodes, as is my norm) but I don't have high hopes for this one.

I'm very disappointed in Space Dandy, which is compounded when you consider the show's pedigree. I don't think it's unfair to expect something that will grab you more than this from Shinichiro Watanabe.

E: Also, I know that the shows are not related in any way, and it may not be a valid criticism to compare it as such, but I feel like Kill la Kill is filling the same niche for me, but better.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
In terms of being "deep" or not...whatever. Space Dandy is just a fun show to watch. I mean, yeah, it's partially because it's clear that the people animating this are just having a blast pulling out all the stops and doing little their own little scenes and artistic flairs, but that definitely comes across for me and part of the reason I can't wait for the next episode is to see what they'll do next in the department. But only partially, I also like watching this band of space goofs bungle their way across the galaxy. Not everything's gotta be cerebral drama, or even overblown use of made up terms and vague imagery masquerading as depth [I'm looking at you, 50% of modern anime].

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I just want to add to the team of people who didn't think the first episode was great but the second was substantially better. I'm looking forward to watch this silly thing every week now.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I was expecting the show to be more... clever. Aside from the animation, everything feels very dry.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MEAT! posted:

Despite everything, Dandy is a p cool guy.

All I could think during that scene was "Man, whoever said something about this being Johnny Bravo in space was right."

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

AnacondaHL posted:

I was expecting the show to be more... clever. Aside from the animation, everything feels very dry.

Space Dandy episode 2 is the deepest treatise on the human desire to forfeit their own security and privacy so they can be observed and validated since Deus Ex. When the NSA controls the world and watches your every move, you'll wish you listened to that cartoon where a talking cat taking too many selfies helped a gorilla man track them across the galaxy.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

And if you pay attention, even though Dandy is self professed to always go with the flow, Meow is the one who usually follows through with that plan. And in the end he's the one who ends up missing out on phantom space ramen.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Great Rumbler posted:

In terms of being "deep" or not...whatever. Space Dandy is just a fun show to watch. I mean, yeah, it's partially because it's clear that the people animating this are just having a blast pulling out all the stops and doing little their own little scenes and artistic flairs, but that definitely comes across for me and part of the reason I can't wait for the next episode is to see what they'll do next in the department. But only partially, I also like watching this band of space goofs bungle their way across the galaxy. Not everything's gotta be cerebral drama, or even overblown use of made up terms and vague imagery masquerading as depth [I'm looking at you, 50% of modern anime].
I like silly things and the art and animation is pretty good. But after the newest episode of Space Dandy I decided to watch the newest episode of Kill la Kill and it struck me just much sillier and funnier and cooler it is, and the Tatami Galaxy simulwatch makes the art and animation of Space Dandy just look kinda generic in comparison.

Though if they could focus on things like the giant thumbs up robot sequence and cosmic ramen stand it would be a lot better.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

MEAT! posted:

Not sure what "substance" you found lacking in Redline. All the main and supporting characters had clear motivations and interesting backstories and the story was solid and well paced.

Dandy has been kinda dissapointing for me so far. I mean, comparing it to the first two eps of Bebop it's lacking in action, establishing a setting, and even humor. Not saying that the two are directly comparable since they're following different themes, but when your serious action future show set in space from 16 years ago is outdoing your wacky comedy future show set in space from now in humor, you got a problem. I dunno, something just seems a bit off.

Highlight for me from this ep is Dandy's disco walk up to Scarlet. Looks to me like the animator had a lot of fun drawing it.

Don't want to derail the thread, but how was Redline's story in any way solid? The whole top secret weapon on the military planet was not explained at all, along with a dozen of other things.

Anyways I wasn't expecting cowboy bebop from Space Dandy, and I actually enjoy zany comedies like Devil is a Part-Timer, hopefully this show gets better

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

dundun posted:

Don't want to derail the thread, but how was Redline's story in any way solid? The whole top secret weapon on the military planet was not explained at all, along with a dozen of other things.

"Why do the cyborg space nazis have an untested, treaty-breaking superweapon" is one of those questions that contains its own answer.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

livingfruitvirus posted:

Fanservice usually doesn't get that. Adult Swim programs have to work to get that TV-MA. Rick and Morty uses the word "poo poo" unbleeped and it's still just TV-14. So I'd say it's something else, or they haven't actually rated the episode yet and are simply slapping that on the promo as a cautionary measure. I chuckled when their IGPX promos said "TV-14 LV" on them when the show never received anything higher than a TV-PG, and half had TV-Y7 ratings.

All the aliens with vagina-dentatafaces probably had something to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Symbolic Butt posted:

I just want to add to the team of people who didn't think the first episode was great but the second was substantially better. I'm looking forward to watch this silly thing every week now.

I thought ep 1 was alright, and ep 2 was better. Hopefully this goes somewhere much more interesting, but if it winds up sucking, oh well...it's anime. Fandom tends to cling to a hot new show and forget about it in a year anyway. I'm glad Watanabe is at least trying something new. I don't want another Cowboy Bebop. Samurai Champloo got enough criticism hurled at it for being too much like Cowboy Bebop.

• Locked thread