Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PureRok posted:

What happens if you give a kingdom title to a republic? Do they stay a republic, or do they suddenly become a kingdom?

Scroll up 9 posts.

As the Kingdom of Lithuania I have taken over enough du jure land to form Rus and Ruthenia but I havent done so yet. I am debating creating them then handing them off to distant dynasty members and letting them become independent. Any reason this would be a terrible idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Mickey McKey posted:

Scroll up 9 posts.

As the Kingdom of Lithuania I have taken over enough du jure land to form Rus and Ruthenia but I havent done so yet. I am debating creating them then handing them off to distant dynasty members and letting them become independent. Any reason this would be a terrible idea?

A solid idea, I would suggest getting your retinue cap up before letting them go. Makes the game more interesting, and you'll have an ally until they decide your mutual border is too small for them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

hellsjudge posted:

A solid idea, I would suggest getting your retinue cap up before letting them go. Makes the game more interesting, and you'll have an ally until they decide your mutual border is too small for them.

Yeah that is the idea. They will be strong foreverallies that are local, but I will not have to deal with rebellions, factions, or expanding in that direction (towards the hordes/edge of the map). I am contemplating doing the same with Finland while I focus on fighting my way into Germany once I reform the faith (its still early; I am waiting to reform the faith till I have MilOrg 3 or 4, depending on the situation). I am also currently du jure drifting two duchies each out of Poland and Pomerania into Lithuania so I have more "direct vassals" in my kingdom and also so that once the empire is formed I can have vassal kingdoms that are 3 or fewer duchies each, while my home Kingdom will be fuckoff massive.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Has anyone noticed in Old Gods a tendency for the Makedon dynasty to end up with a Sunni member who inherits the Byzantine Empire? Get into one fight with a non-Sunni enemy and suddenly the +50 bonus means that the entire Byzantine Empire converts to Sunni in a few years. I have seen this happen multiple times in my games and it seems a little... odd. I can't imagine the Byzantine Empire being cool with a Muslim. Even the Ecumenical Patriarch had like 70 relations with him even WITHOUT the fighting bonus!

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Rincewind posted:

Do the actual files in the exported mod look right? An easy way to check would be to look at the country localization files in the mod and see if all of the wacky CK2 tags that aren't in the basegame are there.

I'm not too familiar with what should be in the base game. I looked through the localisation folder in the exported mod, though, and it's got a lot of things like this in it:
code:
l_english:
 Z00: "Realm of the God-King"
 Z00_ADJ: "Mongol"
That Z00 refers to my one world-wide empire, I assume, since there is only one file in the history/countries folder titled "Z00" that shows this:
code:
# Realm of the God-King
government = steppe_horde
mercantilism = 0.1
technology_group = western
primary_culture = mongol
religion = tengri_pagan_reformed
capital = 410
1381.8.21 = {
	monarch = {
		name = "Arkhai"
		dynasty = "Borjigin"
		adm = 4
		dip = 6
		mil = 5
	}
}
1443.8.28 = {
	heir = {
		name = "Akhutai"
		monarch_name = "Akhutai"
		dynasty = "Borjigin"
		birth_date = 1443.8.28
		death_date = 1523.8.28
		adm = 5
		dip = 5
		mil = 5
	}
}
1444.11.11 = {
	add_treasury = 357
	add_prestige = 9088
}
I guess I don't know what you mean by "wacky" CK2 tags, maybe.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

CapnAndy posted:

How do you start a succession crisis? I got a duchy in Scotland just so I'd have a vote (they went Feudal Elective) and voted for myself, which put me in second place, so I should have been a pretender with a claim when the old King died, right? But I've got no claim and no Succession Crisis CB or anything. I'm Emperor of Brittania Alba so I'm Scotland's de jure liege if that makes any difference.

Elective only gives weak claims, and possibly only to the previous rulers children (though don't quote me on that).

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Fall Sick and Die posted:

Has anyone noticed in Old Gods a tendency for the Makedon dynasty to end up with a Sunni member who inherits the Byzantine Empire? Get into one fight with a non-Sunni enemy and suddenly the +50 bonus means that the entire Byzantine Empire converts to Sunni in a few years. I have seen this happen multiple times in my games and it seems a little... odd. I can't imagine the Byzantine Empire being cool with a Muslim. Even the Ecumenical Patriarch had like 70 relations with him even WITHOUT the fighting bonus!
I've seen it happen once or twice. In my last game it went Catholic. Under 2 Catholic Emperors, almost all of the empire was converted, save a few counts and the Ecumenical Patriarch. The few remaining Orthodox dudes loved the Emperor, too.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

pwnyXpress posted:

I'm not too familiar with what should be in the base game. I looked through the localisation folder in the exported mod, though, and it's got a lot of things like this in it:
code:
l_english:
 Z00: "Realm of the God-King"
 Z00_ADJ: "Mongol"
That Z00 refers to my one world-wide empire, I assume, since there is only one file in the history/countries folder titled "Z00" that shows this:
code:
# Realm of the God-King
government = steppe_horde
mercantilism = 0.1
technology_group = western
primary_culture = mongol
religion = tengri_pagan_reformed
capital = 410
1381.8.21 = {
	monarch = {
		name = "Arkhai"
		dynasty = "Borjigin"
		adm = 4
		dip = 6
		mil = 5
	}
}
1443.8.28 = {
	heir = {
		name = "Akhutai"
		monarch_name = "Akhutai"
		dynasty = "Borjigin"
		birth_date = 1443.8.28
		death_date = 1523.8.28
		adm = 5
		dip = 5
		mil = 5
	}
}
1444.11.11 = {
	add_treasury = 357
	add_prestige = 9088
}
I guess I don't know what you mean by "wacky" CK2 tags, maybe.

By wacky I just meant the Z01 etc. tags, which represent tags that aren't present in EU4 by default and are generated by the mod.

That all looks like it ought to, anyway, so there goes my one idea about what might be wrong with your exports. :v:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

PureRok posted:

What happens if you give a kingdom title to a republic? Do they stay a republic, or do they suddenly become a kingdom?

You may give a republic a kingdom title if you are also a republic. The new kingdom will become a Most Serene Republic, and they will remain your vassal as long as you hold an empire title, otherwise they will become independent to you.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Bishop Rodan posted:

Elective only gives weak claims, and possibly only to the previous rulers children (though don't quote me on that).
Jesus Christ, is there no way to subvert Fedual Elective? I'm completely out of tricks, do I really have to go county by loving county?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm not sure why the game isn't letting me mend the schism. The Prince-Bishopric of Rome has an (X) next to it even though I own it. I own all the counties needed and they're good to go.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Mustang posted:

I'm not sure why the game isn't letting me mend the schism. The Prince-Bishopric of Rome has an (X) next to it even though I own it. I own all the counties needed and they're good to go.

Do you fully control all the baronies?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mustang posted:

And/or is the Prince-Bishop the right religion? have you tried it with a Feudal lord ruling the county instead of a prince-bishop?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Ah yeah I don't own all the baronies. Weird. How do you conquer a county but still have independent baronies? One of them is even a vassal of another kingdom.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Why is it that I sometimes can't transfer a count-level vassal over to his de jure duke as king of both?

Had to make the count independant and then press my duke's claim just to grant him his de jure county.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Why is it that I sometimes can't transfer a count-level vassal over to his de jure duke as king of both?

Had to make the count independant and then press my duke's claim just to grant him his de jure county.

Are they revolting against their liege?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

At least one reason might be that the count is currently fighting a war, maybe even against his de-jure duke. Sometimes both are at peace, and then I don't know why the heck the transfer doesn't show up. What bothers me is that I'm pretty sure that a duke with a rebelling count will have an opinion mallus on the king for wanting control over the rebellious county. Well, then win the war, dummy!

Mustang posted:

Ah yeah I don't own all the baronies. Weird. How do you conquer a county but still have independent baronies? One of them is even a vassal of another kingdom.

Barons passing their loyalties outside of their de-jure counts is an uncommon but not totally rare phenomenon. After all, barons are playing the marriage and inheritance game like any other feudal lord, with all the instability that brings. Fully independent barons are a bigger mystery. Obviously the holy orders get their independent holdings, but other than that, I don't have any clue how a baron could end up independent. I also don't pay enough attention to baronies to notice if these barons gained independence after the war claimed their county, or if they were independent even before their de-jure liege surrendered.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

CapnAndy posted:

Jesus Christ, is there no way to subvert Fedual Elective? I'm completely out of tricks, do I really have to go county by loving county?

After the next succession, form a faction to put yourself on the throne. If you've been alive a while and have good traits it's very easy to do it. Save up money so that even if he doesn't agree, you can still win. And if he doesn't hand it over, you can call in other vassals to join you after you DoW (even if they weren't in the faction) provided they like you more than the new emperor (which, with the short reign penalty, is likely).

e: if you get to about 100% power relative to your liege, he'll often hand it over without fighting. Things you can do to influence people to join yours: set your chancellor to improve relations with the most powerful vassal (duh. use the realm tree to find who that is), use your spymaster on scheme to "encourage" people to join your faction, use your court chaplain improve religious relations if there are any prince-archbishops.

Allyn fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 14, 2014

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Are they revolting against their liege?

No. I figured if I release the count, the duke would eventually take care of it himself due to the de jure claim but he didn't do that either, the lazy bum. v:geno:v

Averrences
May 3, 2008
Speaking of SoA events - I have found one of the most fun things to do in this game now. Start anywhere, wait for the demonspawn child event to get into full swing, once he's grown up and the ruler of your kingdom, use the 'Immortality Revised' mod to make him immortal to aging and weapons...

:unsmigghh:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

No. I figured if I release the count, the duke would eventually take care of it himself due to the de jure claim but he didn't do that either, the lazy bum. v:geno:v

The AI never presses de jure claims on baronies for some reason.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

My third son got a duchy and two counties after I already gave him one duchy and two counties. GAVELKIND! :argh:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Sometimes it works perfectly, and sometimes you have 5 children, 23 holdings, and your heir receives a single county not even in your capital duchy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mustang posted:

The castle/barony in Rome is owned by the Italians at the Old Gods start date.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
You can actually play as a Muslim Sultana of Egypt queen Shajar Al Dur at the Feb. 1250 start date.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shajar_al-Durr

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

alcaras posted:

So apparently restoring the Roman Empire as a Republic... makes you no longer a Republic(!)
Don't change your capital.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

lurksion posted:

Don't change your capital.

Ah, that's what changed me to an Empire? The move capital to Rome decision? Well, good to know for the future as I can't change it as I was on Ironman.

Fortunately that was the last bit I needed for WC -- the Byzantines (had to chain-break Truces to finally wrest away control).

Might import it into EU4 for Roman CoP, but I think it'd probably be too easy.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
If I vassalize The Papacy through an anti-pope do the holy orders I haven't vassalized, which would then be entirely in my land, automatically become vassals? I'm really just looking for an excuse to take the papacy asap rather than waiting for a more tactical time.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Mailer posted:

If I vassalize The Papacy through an anti-pope do the holy orders I haven't vassalized, which would then be entirely in my land, automatically become vassals? I'm really just looking for an excuse to take the papacy asap rather than waiting for a more tactical time.

The Holy Orders won't become your vassals until you give them a county and they accept vassalization. The benefits of having a pocket-Pope should make you take the Papacy right now anyway.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Allyn posted:

After the next succession, form a faction to put yourself on the throne. If you've been alive a while and have good traits it's very easy to do it. Save up money so that even if he doesn't agree, you can still win. And if he doesn't hand it over, you can call in other vassals to join you after you DoW (even if they weren't in the faction) provided they like you more than the new emperor (which, with the short reign penalty, is likely).

e: if you get to about 100% power relative to your liege, he'll often hand it over without fighting. Things you can do to influence people to join yours: set your chancellor to improve relations with the most powerful vassal (duh. use the realm tree to find who that is), use your spymaster on scheme to "encourage" people to join your faction, use your court chaplain improve religious relations if there are any prince-archbishops.
He's not my liege. I'm his Emperor, bastard just won't bend the knee.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
So apparently the Spawn of Satan events can hit even if you aren't playing a Christian. Either the Great Adversary has decided that the Karen Empire represents his best chance at destroying the Church, or he took one hell of a wrong turn somewhere and at some point he's going to look around and say "wait, poo poo, this isn't Lombardy is it?" Or maybe Ahriman is just biting Lucifer's style.

Even better, the Antichrist is the great grandson of the Saoshyant and the son of the guy that just killed Seljuk Seljuk in battle. poo poo's getting proper biblical out here.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

This might seem kind of minor, but probably #1 on my CKIII wishlist is for the independent realms map mode to distinguish between realms that are rebelling against their liege vs. recognized, sovereign realms.

I don't want anything to change in gameplay terms, though, I'd just like for it to be easier to tell who's just having a civil war, and who's straight-up balkanized.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Seoinin posted:

So apparently the Spawn of Satan events can hit even if you aren't playing a Christian. Either the Great Adversary has decided that the Karen Empire represents his best chance at destroying the Church, or he took one hell of a wrong turn somewhere and at some point he's going to look around and say "wait, poo poo, this isn't Lombardy is it?" Or maybe Ahriman is just biting Lucifer's style.

Even better, the Antichrist is the great grandson of the Saoshyant and the son of the guy that just killed Seljuk Seljuk in battle. poo poo's getting proper biblical out here.
Declare Holy War on Rome!

rvm
May 6, 2013
So, I took all Golden Horde's land, now their event troops are hanging around in Turkestan (all 2k of them) lead by unladed Khan. Does that mean they're no longer a problem?

Edit: Nevermind, Batu declared on me, lost and is now attacking Ilkhanate with no troops and negative balance. The problem is that Golden Horde is going to get reinforced when he dies, is there a way to deal with this annoyance permanently?

rvm fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 14, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arglebargle III posted:

My third son got a duchy and two counties after I already gave him one duchy and two counties. GAVELKIND! :argh:

What are some other details here? That seems a bit strange and its never happened to me.

SeaTard posted:

Sometimes it works perfectly, and sometimes you have 5 children, 23 holdings, and your heir receives a single county not even in your capital duchy.

I dunno if you've been reading the thread but a couple of us have been over how to avoid this the past few pages.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So how do it stop worthless peasant/religious revolts from cropping up constantly? I just reformed the roman empire, and all I need to do is march one of my retinue doomstacks over to put them down, but it's just such a massive waste of time.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

GoatLord posted:

So how do it stop worthless peasant/religious revolts from cropping up constantly? I just reformed the roman empire, and all I need to do is march one of my retinue doomstacks over to put them down, but it's just such a massive waste of time.

I don't think there's much you can do, actually. You can send your chaplain to convert the provinces and your marshal to suppress revolts, but for a continent-sprawling empire, little annoying revolts may just be a reality of the situation. The last time I was Rome, I made vassal kings who were pretty much constantly at war with one another, and their mini-doomstack armies often crushed revolts on their way to fighting their real enemies.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

GoatLord posted:

You can't. March a retinue down and bitchslap their stupid faces every time they try it.

You only need a White Peace though, so usually one battle is enough.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

GoatLord posted:

Have every count and duke be Greek/Orthodox (presumably, anyway), and wait for religion/culture to switch. Yeah it takes forever but there's nothing else to minimise it. If you have a few stragglers of another culture, have their kids educating by gregarious/diligent Greek people. I've got about 1/3 of my realm to switch (all of de jure Wendish Empire + a few bits straggling down towards Italy) in less than 100 years, so it does happen... just slowly :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

GoatLord posted:

If your vassals are reasonably strong (kingdoms) they clean up rebels themselves. It might take them a bit of time and they mustn't be having a rebellion, but they can do it.

• Locked thread