Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

1. No goal, drop ball.
2. Tell the physio to gently caress off. Drag him by his face all the way to the stands.
3. No goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
1. Ignore the players. Disallow goal, drop ball at the point the ball was at when the smoke came out having had retroactively stopped the game for safety issues. Wait for the smoke to clear a little. Yell at security.

2. Ignore the physio, ask your assistants if they saw anything. If they did not, give only what you saw, which could be either a foul, yellow to the defender, yellow to the attacker for simulation.

3. Ignore Hawkeye, it's only there to help, not decide. Ask your assistants. Award a goal if they saw it, otherwise just give the goal kick. I take it as the striker was not intentionally hitting the ball with his hand, if you think he was, give a yellow.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

chaoslord posted:

I'm curious to how you get yellow to the striker on #3.

I guess it depends on what they meant when they worded the question. Like, if the striker was intentionally reaching for it, or what.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
1- Learn to play like they do in real countries, where throwing a flare isn't a lifetime ban and a felony. Goal stands, smoke was there for attackers and defenders, equal footing.
2- Tell the physio to gently caress off and make a decision on what you saw or confer with the linesman if you are unsure/ he had a better view.
3- As a competent ref you should've known when the goal went in as hawkeye beeps instantly and about 3 seconds of play happened after the first action. Turn yourself in for review.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

CPColin posted:

I guess it depends on what they meant when they worded the question. Like, if the striker was intentionally reaching for it, or what.

Oh, okay. I read it as the striker had turned to appear for the goal (hand raised/raising) and the defender, in clearing the ball, booted it and it rebounded off his hand and in, which would make an interesting case for "Was it deliberate?" and all that. But, having reread it now, I think I'm the one who misread it. Apologies.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
We missed an episode that featured Eddie Izzard, for some reason.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/27/you-are-the-ref-paul-trevillion

1. Can't shorten halves. Stop the clock until the lights are fixed, then play the remaining minutes.
2. IDFK to the defense. You're not allowed to use a trick to carry the ball, I think. Give him props for his gall and a yellow for being a dingus, if he tries it again.
3. YouTube is full of videos of goalies who wish they had seizures and forgot their dumb own-goals.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

1) No. Bring the players off the field though. You might be able to get away with waiting the normal half-time length and then resuming the first half, then immediately kicking off the second, but you'd have to make sure the ROC aren't specific about the halftime break in a way that might make the game protestable.
2) PIADM, IDFK
3) Goal

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

1. I think you just stop play, wait the 10 minutes, and play 10 minutes of injury time.
2. You're not allowed to trap the ball in a way that the ball doesn't touch the ground. Foul from the point where he pinched it in his shoulder. Indirect free kick.
3. Goal. Sucks.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Question 2 answers Pissflaps classic Turban question

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Taff posted:

Question 2 answers Pissflaps classic Turban question

I thought that was about the potential requirements for different coloured turbans for home and away teams.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Keith Hackett posted:

1) The stadium manager's idea might sound sensible – an early break, and adding an extra three minutes to the second-half – but you cannot make up policy on the hoof. There are clear guidelines for this because you have a responsibility to the competition to make sure the right amount of time is played in the right format. So take the teams off, wait for the backup generators to kick in, then return and play the remaining three minutes, before blowing for a normal half-time break. Report what happened to the authorities. Colin S Miller wins the shirt.
2) Clever, but no goal. Caution the player for unsporting behaviour – there is no way an opponent could legally challenge for the ball. Restart with an indirect free-kick at the point where he first managed to balance the ball. Thanks to Roy Dean.
3) Base your decision on the expert medical advice: do not award the goal. Play effectively stopped the moment the keeper had the seizure – a serious medical incident. Make sure the keeper is replaced (the game cannot resume without a player in goal) and restart with a dropped ball – on the six-yard line if he was inside the six-yard box when he collapsed. I would hope the opposition side would not contest the dropped ball. Thanks to Paul Hawkins.

I would think a quick, "Hey, quit loving around." would be in order for #2, before a card. I also think #3 is very easy to rule in the hypothetical, but I can't see the goal being waved off in real life. Are these paramedics that say there was a seizure or the guys with the magic spray?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's Friday again and we are the ref again. And I am again too lazy to put the image here, so here's a link:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/02/you-are-the-ref-paul-trevillion

1. Suck it up, Robben.
2. Outside agent, but what is the goalie doing so far to the left of the goal to begin with?
3. Book the scorer and tweak the captain's nipples.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

1. Tell Robben he would have choked anyway
2. Stop play for the ball being deflated or some BS and start with a drop ball (but one that you're supposed to kick out of play)
3. book everyone burn the stadium to the ground

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
1. Too bad but you should never do this as a ref
2. Goal, don't be such a weirdo
3. Book them all, issue reds to any that were already on a yellow

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

CPColin posted:

It's Friday again and we are the ref again. And I am again too lazy to put the image here, so here's a link:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/02/you-are-the-ref-paul-trevillion

You realize all you have to do is click the picture then move it to a new tab on your browser bar copy the link and paste onto to imgur. It took me longer to type this than to do that.

1- Shoulda complained beforehand if you didn't like it Robben.
2- Welcome to the Estadio Da Luz bitch. Goal.
3- Book them all.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 3, 2014

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Seltzer posted:

You realize all you have to do is click the picture then move it to a new tab on your browser bar copy the link and paste onto to imgur. It took me longer to type this than to do that.

Yes. I realize that.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

1. Deal with it. Play stands.
2. Deal with it. Play stands.
3. The "taking off your shirt to celebrate = booking" rule is idiotic. Let them have their fun.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
1.) Deal with it.
2.) Outside influence. Dropped ball where the play was when the Eagle entered play. It's not a goal until you say so.
3.) Book the captain, and add two minutes.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Keith Hackett posted:

1) If he was unhappy with the position of the ball, he should have asked to adjust it before taking the kick. He has no right to complain now. My advice to officials in these situations is always to let the player take the appropriate action to keep the ball still, to avoid such accusations. Thanks to Steven Jackson.
2) No goal. Really the goalkeeper should have been a bit braver and stood his ground, but either way this counts as interference from an outside agent. Disallow the goal and restart with a dropped ball on the goal area line that is parallel to the goal line at a point nearest to where the ball entered the goal. Make sure the eagle is coaxed to safety, and report the facts after the game. Thanks to Terence Davidson.
3) The Law is quite clear on this: "A player must be cautioned if he removes his shirt or covers his head with his shirt". Players know they will pick up a yellow card for celebrating in this way, but they still carry on doing it – clubs just do not seem to take sufficient action against players who might be suspended for a game after picking up five yellows. So what do you do here? Caution all of them: 11 yellow cards. The club will be fined for exceeding five cautions in one game, which will hopefully inspire them to take some proper disciplinary action. Toby Wood wins the shirt.

They need to start mixing up the simple and wacky questions so they don't have three in the same week.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

I'd love to see Hackett actually book all 11 players on a team for taking their shirts off. What a numpty.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Thel posted:

I'd love to see Hackett actually book all 11 players on a team for taking their shirts off. What a numpty.

I loving would, and I'd quite happily send off the 2 or 3 of them already on yellow cards as well as making sure I add on exactly how much time it took to go through the process. You're there to enforce the rules. If you don't, it's YOUR job at risk.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Make sure the eagle is coaxed to safety"

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oliwan posted:

"Make sure the eagle is coaxed to safety"

"You Are The Ref - Coax The Eagle To Safety"

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Popehoist posted:

You're there to enforce the rules.

Particularly in that case where the rule is absolutely clear and there's no room for interpretation besides 'issue a yellow'.

In a real life game the referee would probably get shamed out of the profession by the oval office tabloids for doing it though.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Exactly that. I'd love nothing more than refs to act in accordance with the letter of the law (even if it meant Skrtel gave away a peno every 5 minutes), especially for poo poo like talking back and diving etc., but it'd just make their position untenable. How could a ref get away with giving 10-15 yellow cards every match when they'd have the fans, the media, and the FA, on their back. They'd be forever relegated to the lower divisions and show up on the lovely "top 100 craziest PL moments" compilations every year.

Honestly the only way it'd be possible without ruining the referees is by issuing retrospective yellows for offences, and that's so incredibly unlikely to happy it's not even worth considering.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
And what if you didn't do it? The opposition manager would go apeshit. He would say "the 2 players they had on yellows should have been sent off for the rest of the game, and the rest of the team booked!". And he would probably launch an appeal to the FA about it. And he would have every right to, because you got it wrong.

In a situation where both outcomes will gently caress you, stick to the rules so that you can use them to defend yourself.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Some good cropping going on in this one.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/09/you-are-the-ref-paul-trevillion

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
1. Sure.
2. Don't think you can call a foul for something that almost happened. PK to the striker and probably a yellow to the defender for being a cuddlebug.
3. Hackett's going to have some dumb answer for this. I'd say that, since the keeper has control of the ball, he's not really gaining an advantage by running out of the box. Stop play, investigate the chants, consult with assistants, etc. Restart with a drop ball.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
1. Let him retake it, show a yellow to the PA guy.
2. PK, yellow to the defender. Then give him the hug he desperately seeks.
3. I don't even know about this one, but I hardly think it's the ref's job to deal with the crowd.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Captain Trips posted:

3. I don't even know about this one, but I hardly think it's the ref's job to deal with the crowd.

It's not about what he does in relation to the crowd, though. It's whether or not the keeper has fouled. I think it's probably not a foul, similar to if a player got badly injured, it would be ok for a keeper to rush to help him, I reckon.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

1. Retake, outside influence and all that poo poo.
2. PK and yellow to the defender. The striker didn't complete his kick therefore it was dangerous.
3. Halt play, consult goal line official if he heard anything. Make a note in the report regardless. Start play with a goal kick. Warn the keeper to ask you to come over as opposed to disrupting play.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
1. No. You're a professional footballer, deal with it. Report full facts to the FA and all that though.
2. Penalty. Probably caution.
3. Free kick. Have it looked into.

Lamont Cranston fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 11, 2014

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Captain Trips posted:

At least in Europe there has been a big push to clamp down on racism so referees can stop the match to deal with that issue if they hear it.

Depending on Hackett's mood, he is either going to be technical and say the keeper should have called you over rather than running out so FK to the opposition, or he is going to take The Real World approach and say that you saw the keeper's face as he was rushing out and knew that something was wrong and decided to stop play just before he left the area meaning that the restart would be a drop ball.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

K-Hizzle posted:

1) Players should be focused enough not to be put off by distractions like this – stadiums are not quiet places – but this still counts as outside interference. Guidelines state that there should be no PA announcements or music played during a game, and here there is also a pretty clear suspicion it was a deliberate attempt to distract. Have a word with the stadium manager, then allow the penalty to be retaken. Include the incident in your post-match report. Thanks to David Robson.
2) Award a penalty. The defender has committed an offence by holding his opponent, and you should not be worrying about what might have happened next had that offence not taken place. This isn't a guessing game. Thanks to Sam Blanning.
3) As always, base your decision on what you have observed, not on what players are claiming. If you have not heard any racist chanting, award a direct free kick outside the area and advise the keeper that you will monitor the situation. If you have heard the chants, stop play and either restart with a dropped ball or consider taking the teams off, depending on the severity of the abuse. Whatever course of action you take, you should also liaise with the stadium manager so that more stewards can be placed in the relevant area, and report what happened to the authorities after the game. Fergus Slade wins the shirt.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
Taking the teams off the pitch for a few people chanting racist remarks? Is he having a loving laugh?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Captain Trips posted:

Taking the teams off the pitch for a few people chanting racist remarks? Is he having a loving laugh?

I thought they had to do a PA announcement before they took the teams off.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Captain Trips posted:

Depending on the severity, yes. Thems the rules, and to be honest I agree with them totally. Why should the players be forced to endure the chants?

Two or three people wouldn't meet "severity" requirements.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Captain Trips posted:

It's happened in Serie A, and clubs are getting punished more and more for stuff like regional chants as well. Nothing tops when Juventus got Curva Nord banned for a match so they decided to fill it with kids. Que thousands of kids shouting "Merda!" every time the opposing keeper touched the ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/16/you-are-the-ref-paul-trevillion

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread