Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Rarity posted:

Why can't people just accept that for a comedian he's a bit poo poo? :confused:

Because you're wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
AND MY OPINION IS OBJECTIVLY RIGHT AND HERE LET ME poo poo MYSELF OVER IT

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

There is a full standup show on youtube, its was pretty good, he does go into his libertarion stuff a bit but its not all that. Worth a watch, cant google it for you right now but pretty easy to find it was :yoda:

Late edit: Oh I was talking about Standhope in this post. Yeah Limmy is loving great.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 13, 2014

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
I remember watching Limmy's Show with a few mates and a couple of us were cracking up thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread, and one guy sat there in stony silence not getting it at all.

Basically, if you didn't laugh you are my mate Liam and that guy is a bit of a ballbag.

Bozza fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 13, 2014

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
3+ pages about sub-5 minute segments in a very niche late night comedy show, anyone reading this thread must think there is nowt else on and they'd be right.

Is sherlock actually any good or is it doctor who level tripe bigged up by tumblr bloggers?

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Bozza posted:

ballbag.

Bawbag.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Anyone else looking forward to House of Fools tomorrow?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Lemon posted:

Anyone else looking forward to House of Fools tomorrow?

Yes, but I'm also expecting to be disapointed because Vic and Bob are very hit and miss and the trailer has an uproarious laugh at Matt Berry saying "hello."

Ponce de Le0n posted:

Is sherlock actually any good or is it doctor who level tripe bigged up by tumblr bloggers?

It is awful. Great actors doing their best with terrible characters, and the direction is mostly distinguished by hyperactive editing that would put Michael Bay to shame. Also this season they've ditched the whole "mystery" thing and instead spend their time indulging in winks and nods to their atrocious fans.
I did quite like the BBC4 Timeshift that ran after yesterday's episode. A nice in-depth talk about all previous Holmes incarnations, though they keep on favourably comparing their show to everything.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Ponce de Le0n posted:

3+ pages about sub-5 minute segments in a very niche late night comedy show, anyone reading this thread must think there is nowt else on and they'd be right.

I really enjoy it and its worth a watch provided you don't have lingering Moffat resentment or insane expectations. As the the other guy says, the mystery elements are a bit hamfisted and the writing isn't spectacular but personally I really enjoy the way its shot and acted and that makes it good enough for me.

Plus its rare to see British drama with such a big budget, and they can do much more with the show because of it. Shame they don't spend more on better writers but there you go.

Captain Mediocre fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 13, 2014

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Even when Moffat spits out some half-baked wankey script he's always entertaining. In the same way as some Doctor Who episodes (but don't say which ones or you'll start an argument) are complete drivel but wonderfully fun, some Sherlock episodes (but don't say which ones or you'll start an argument) are total nonsense but wonderfully fun.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I watched all three Sherlock episodes (my wife loves it). It's like Jonathan Creek, with a bigger budget and lazier writing. Cumberbatch (who?! really is good though and without him and Freeman it would be difficult to justify watching it.

I got bored way before the end of last night's episode anyway.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I rather feel that Moffatt has completely disappeared up his own arse with all his success, the first two series of Sherlock were pretty good (the ridiculous and insulting portrayal of Irene Adler nonwithstanding), but series 3 has been a huge disappointment and the production team seem more concerned with throwing their rabid fans .gif material than actually writing anything half-decent. An entire hour-and-a-half episode dedicated to a loving wedding, with a half-arsed 'mystery' with a completely nonsensical conclusion (even by the show's standards) crowbarred in as an afterthought?

Mind you, I'm not able to watch the finale until I get home, so maybe that's great and vindicates the dull as gently caress first episode and atrocious second, so who knows?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So I'm thinking as someone who is sick of Moffat's poo poo on Doctor Who and didn't really enjoy Sherlock series 2 I should probably give the new Sherlock a miss.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

marktheando posted:

So I'm thinking as someone who is sick of Moffat's poo poo on Doctor Who and didn't really enjoy Sherlock series 2 I should probably give the new Sherlock a miss.

Probably. It's generally wise to give up a series when you outgrow them or grow bored with them, or else you start going a bit mental, (like the Star Wars, Star Trek and Doctor Who fans).

The first series of Sherlock -and large chunks of the second- were startlingly good and innovatively directed television though. Ridiculous, but very charming.

In Scandi-noir talk, anybody watch The Bridge on BBC4 on Saturday? Now there's a show that's not gone off the boil yet, and looks impossibly gorgeous in HD to boot. The scene where Martin finds the mobile on the corpse in the background of the TV new report made me wail like a small child

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

That was the greatest University Challenge moment i have ever seen. Absolutely glorious.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Strom Cuzewon posted:

That was the greatest University Challenge moment i have ever seen. Absolutely glorious.

drat, I just recorded it to watch it when my curry's ready, now I'm freaking out thinking Paxman gets his cock out, or mispronounces Bruegel, or something. :ohdear:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

drat, I just recorded it to watch it when my curry's ready, now I'm freaking out thinking Paxman gets his cock out, or mispronounces Bruegel, or something. :ohdear:

Thats why i didnt describe it. Has to be seen. It'll be on youtube by the morning, guaranteed. Its THAT good

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Just when I thought I was going to have to slog through another hour of Benefits St I find out Scott Pilgrim's on Film 4! Night saved! *Zelda noises*

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Two great moments of telly tonight: that thing on University Challenge (and really the whole match. Such quizzing!), and Paul Hollywood's look of sadness when Sue jokes that Johnny Vaughn is a star-baker.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

The Chase was particularly good today, as well. The Beast getting the last question of a 22-question Final Chase within the last second.

I watch too many quiz shows.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Two great moments of telly tonight: that thing on University Challenge (and really the whole match. Such quizzing!), and Paul Hollywood's look of sadness when Sue jokes that Johnny Vaughn is a star-baker.

Especially when we find that the reason Johnny Vaughns' Day 1 creations have been so strangely raw and flat and inedible is because he had his oven on the 'grill', not 'bake' setting. He was trying to toast a tarte tatin, for heavens sake.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

skip to 19 minutes for uni challenge if you must. or just watch the whole thing.

lol

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Thats why i didnt describe it. Has to be seen. It'll be on youtube by the morning, guaranteed. Its THAT good

That was a fantastic UC. Morley should really appear in the Big Bang Theory as Sheldon Cooper's British doppelganger who studies humanities instead of physics.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

One of the thing that surprised me is that Cambridge didn't recognize the picture of Waugh as half the team seemed to be him reincarnated.

the_cow_fan
May 12, 2008
Nick Hewer taking the piss out of a fatty was today's TV highlight.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

BBC3 in "New not-poo poo show" shock: Uncle. It's a sitcom starring Nick Helm.

Although I might be biased because I loving love Nick Helm.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

VogeGandire posted:

All I have to go on are his songs on 8 Out of 10 Cats/Countdown, and they were pretty bloody good. Will give it a watch.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Tell us what the University Challenge thing was all about, you dingbats.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Irisi posted:

In Scandi-noir talk, anybody watch The Bridge on BBC4 on Saturday? Now there's a show that's not gone off the boil yet, and looks impossibly gorgeous in HD to boot. The scene where Martin finds the mobile on the corpse in the background of the TV new report made me wail like a small child

As soon as the mother of three called for a celebration I was like 'welp you are all dead', poor Linus :( Also ugh at the guy/murderer? buying a boob job.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm not sure which bit you're referring to. All I remember is posh twats being posh twats :confused:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

WastedJoker posted:

Tell us what the University Challenge thing was all about, you dingbats.

Paxo: "During the 20th Century who held the position of Prime Minister of the United Kingdom for..." *bzzzzzz*

Morley: "Margaret Thatcher"

Paxo:"How did you know I was going to ask for the longest period of time?"

Morely: "Well what else was it going to be?"

Paxo: "Well let's see if you get these bonuses right. They're on French landborders you smartarses!"

:allears:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That University Challenge thing really wasn't worth the effort to find. Paxman starts asking a question and some posh lad guesses the answer before he finishes.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Yeah I was kinda hoping for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxA0a5G6ccg

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Well, there was also the bit that went something like "Which Shakespeare title character do the following lines describe? Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale her infinite variety."
"King Lear :downs:"

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

I saw the university challenge thing and i think this thread hyped it up a bit too much if im being totally honest.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
For a second, I thought it was gonna be like the bit in Starter for Ten when James McAvoy guesses the answer too early and they find out he looked at the answersheet. But then I realised it wasn't live TV. What the hell were people expecting though, I thought the Tory version of Sheldon was awesome.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

VogeGandire posted:

Holy poo poo that's loving hilarious, convenience link for my uk tv chat chums http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03q474x/Uncle_Episode_1/

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I laughed at every scene of Uncle that I saw in the trailer, but BBC3...

Good then?

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

thehustler posted:

Good then?
Starts a bit slow but gets really funny really fast and quite moving at the end. So yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

thehustler posted:

Good then?

BBC3 have had a number of shows that weren't poo poo its not that surprising.