Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Skwirl posted:

While Nightcrawler has spent plenty of time being melancholy, there's also a huge amount of his past where he's running around being a happy go-lucky swashbuckling ladykiller.

And I don't ever recall him really being bummed out over his quasi-demonic appearance, even though (or maybe because) his physical mutations manifested at birth instead of puberty like most mutants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

McSpanky posted:

And I don't ever recall him really being bummed out over his quasi-demonic appearance, even though (or maybe because) his physical mutations manifested at birth instead of puberty like most mutants.

Yeah, isn't it usually just about him liking a girl he can't have (I'm basing this mostly on Claremont's Excalibur, which is the most recent thing I've read with a lot of Nightcrawler, and even then it's because she's with Captain Britain, nothing to do with her being repulsed by his appearance).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm not going to check but didn't Nightcrawler used to creep on Kitty when she was still underage and he wasn't?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I just remember Nightcrawler used to use the image inducer and a lot of I look like a monster.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They gave Nightcrawler an image inducer pretty much from the get-go so he that was generally not an issue, but he also spent plenty of arcs having crisis of faith over thinking he was a demon.

And yeah in Excalibur he mostly wanted to hit on Meggan

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not going to check but didn't Nightcrawler used to creep on Kitty when she was still underage and he wasn't?

I think it was just more him playfully hitting on any woman he could. Though I have vague recollections of a story with him setting his image inducer to a young Burt Reynolds and having Kitty and Illyana swoon over him.

E: I think that last bit is from the annual with the Impossible Man actually

Kalli fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 14, 2014

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

bobkatt013 posted:

I just remember Nightcrawler used to use the image inducer and a lot of I look like a monster.

Kurt was pretty cool... he acknowledged that he looked demonic, but didn't obsess or angst about it overmuch.

quote:

Lemme guess, Claremont?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Alternate reality evil Nightcrawler from Belasco's realm groped her, because he was evil and all. I don't recall actual Nightcrawler ever doing anything untoward.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

McSpanky posted:

Doesn't that make him Homo Killcrop?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Kalli posted:

I think it was just more him playfully hitting on any woman he could. Though I have vague recollections of a story with him setting his image inducer to a young Burt Reynolds and having Kitty and Illyana swoon over him.

E: I think that last bit is from the annual with the Impossible Man actually

I think it was from his 80's LS, where he got to be an interdimensional swashbuckler. Dopey but fun.

A dude posted:

Doesn't that make him Homo Killcrop?

IMHO, the whole "killcrop" bit was something Damian Tryp pulled out of his rear end.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Lurdiak posted:

New one on me. They were good friends, but I never recall anything like that. You might be thinking of Colossus, where this was definitely a thing (Colossus was nineteen and Kitty fourteen or so) that was a subplot at the time.

At that time there were more hints of Ororo and Kurt for a good while (something that's persisted on and off over the years). Honestly, Kurt was giving Wolverine a run for his money in regards to his love life. Hell, they were practically inseparable for a long time: playing pranks on each other, bar-hopping, etc.

:sigh: That was back when Nightcrawler was fun and before someone had the thought that putting a "demon" into a priest's smock was clever and ironic (it wasn't).

bobkatt013 posted:

This came along in the mid-late 90's, after he became somber, self-loathing and :catholic:. Because early on and for a good while, he had plush dolls (Bamf dolls) of himself that he'd give out.

Sadly, the Nightcrawler people seem to remember is the polar opposite of the character he'd been for 20-25 years prior. Which is a shame, because he was infinitely more interesting back then: a guy with a demonic appearance who embraced it and never let it be the reason of keeping him from succeeding (and exceeding) what he'd set out to do. It also gave perspective to the :emo: "woe is me" mutants who were in reality far more fortunate than he was.

Edit: Far more :words: than I initially intended, but he really was one of my favorite characters for a long, long time.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 14, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ghostpilot posted:

New one on me. They were good friends, but I never recall anything like that. You might be thinking of Colossus, where this was definitely a thing (Colossus was nineteen and Kitty fourteen or so) that was a subplot at the time.

At that time there were more hints of Ororo and Kurt for a good while (something that's persisted on and off over the years). Honestly, Kurt was giving Wolverine a run for his money in regards to his love life back when they would be each other's wingman and played pranks on each other. Hell, they were practically inseparable for a long time.

:sigh: That was back when Nightcrawler was fun and before someone had the thought that putting a "demon" into a priest's smock was clever and ironic (it wasn't).

This came along in the mid-late 90's, after he became somber, self-loathing and :catholic:. Because early on and for a good while, he had plush dolls (Bamf dolls) of himself that he'd give out.

Sadly, the Nightcrawler people seem to remember is the polar opposite of the character he'd been for 20-25 years prior. Which is a shame, because he was infinitely more interesting back then: a guy with a demonic appearance who embraced it and never let it be the reason of keeping him from succeeding (and exceeding) what he'd set out to do. It also gave perspective to the :emo: "woe is me" mutants who were in reality far more fortunate than he was.

Edit: Far more :words: than I initially intended, but he really was one of my favorite characters for a long, long time.

Whose the woman in that, and what issue?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ghostpilot posted:

At that time there were more hints of Ororo and Kurt for a good while (something that's persisted on and off over the years). Honestly, Kurt was giving Wolverine a run for his money in regards to his love life. Hell, they were practically inseparable for a long time: playing pranks on each other, bar-hopping, etc.

Looking it up I was thinking of very early Nightcrawler and late Nightcrawler. Not this Nightcrawler from 130

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Skwirl posted:

Whose the woman in that, and what issue?

That's Amanda Sefton, back in Uncanny X-Men #168.

Edit: vvv Foster sister, but yeah. :shrug: (I didn't know that until later.)

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 14, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ghostpilot posted:

That's Amanda Sefton, back in Uncanny X-Men #168.

Who is also his sister :cripes:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, isn't it usually just about him liking a girl he can't have (I'm basing this mostly on Claremont's Excalibur, which is the most recent thing I've read with a lot of Nightcrawler, and even then it's because she's with Captain Britain, nothing to do with her being repulsed by his appearance).

Sometimes he seemed to be after Meggan more than Wolverine was after Jean.

Anyway, as regards his appearance, by the time they got to Excalibur, he was a handsome swashbuckler who looked like Errol Flynn, so he didn't really have that much reason to angst.

Of course, that's probably just Alan Davis; Phoenix went from being skinny and waifish to looking like this (although in this case, she got a new body in Mojoworld in a Claremont story).

Jerusalem posted:

Who is also his sister :cripes:

"Ohboy!"

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, I love Alan Davis, but he's one of those artists who are physically incapable of drawing women as anything else but babes and men as Greek gods.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Probably why he got to draw the Women of Marvel covers.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Metal Loaf posted:

Probably why he got to draw the Women of Marvel covers.

They should probably skip a few of those decades, though.

Or you know, end the comic with Reed Richards having to take a loving class or something, Jesus.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the common consensus on the worst Fantastic Four run? Englehart? DeFalco? One of the non-descript ones from the 1970s when they had really naff villains like Janus the Nega-Man and Salem's Seven?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Is Johnny relaxing in the fetal position?

Panel 2:

Daredevil: "poo poo, man, don't drag me into this!"

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

DarkCrawler posted:

They should probably skip a few of those decades, though.

Or you know, end the comic with Reed Richards having to take a loving class or something, Jesus.

And he's still the least evil Reed of any possible other universe.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Wow. Did writers have a hate on for Sue or just women in general?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It was a different time for gender politics. The 60's, y'know. Mad Men. Cigars. Invisible girls.

And every decade following all the way up to, and including, the nineties.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Also the fact that Reed is a giant rear end in a top hat

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

John Byrne is responsible for at least some of that, and he definitely has a problem with women, or at the very least his work does. The rest is mostly just "being written in the 1960s".

If it helps contextualize, Stan Lee was trying to be progressive by having "gender war" stuff in the era of "women's lib". Some characters were old-fashioned, others were trying to express the idea that women are equal to men. He just didn't do a very good job of it, so it tends to look like the men are horrible sexists and that he endorses it.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 14, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, in the Lee/Kirby FF Reed's patriarch stance was supposed to be a character flaw, but it was never really hit hard enough to make it go past problematic.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah, I love Alan Davis, but he's one of those artists who are physically incapable of drawing women as anything else but babes and men as Greek gods.

I think it was Excalibur #16 that had a recaptioned panel on its letter page -- Rachel in this barely-there medieval suit, a sword in each hand, yelling "WHAT DO YOU MEAN I WON'T HAVE ALAN DAVIS DRAWING ME NEXT ISSUE?"

(also yes Kitty just shanked someone)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

I love it; in that same panel of Pin-up Queen Phoenix, Kurt is standing right next to her basking in the glory of being Midnight Blue Errol Flynn.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Reed Richards is modeling for some combination of :mad: and :saddowns:, I see.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

What's the common consensus on the worst Fantastic Four run? Englehart? DeFalco? One of the non-descript ones from the 1970s when they had really naff villains like Janus the Nega-Man and Salem's Seven?

I'd definitely vote Englehart. Most of the 70's runs at least had something to recommend them. John Buscema's art, the divorce storyline from around 140-150 (where Namor tricks everyone into getting them back together), Perez doing art on the next run, or Conway's big Doom showdown around issue 200. Millar and DeFalco have plenty of dumb ideas, but Englehart is just telling awful stories with ugly art. He also seemed to think he'd get great mileage out of a newly married Johnny Storm being around Crystal, but she's married too and there's really no tension at all.

Lurdiak posted:

John Byrne is responsible for at least some of that, and he definitely has a problem with women, or at the very least his work does. The rest is mostly just "being written in the 1960s".

I know it's cool to hate on Byrne for all the dumb stuff he says/does, but only two panels (from one story) are Byrne's, and they're both Reed obviously trying to be a dick to get Sue to snap out of being mind-controlled. Byrne's the one that had her change her name (after calling herself "Invisible Girl" for 20 years), that showcased her powers in new ways, and otherwise finished the transition of her being a Stan Lee waif into a pretty cool character. I mean, if you go back to 1975, the writers both permanently boost her powers from Lee/Kirby levels and show her saving the day for the first time in ages, just so that fans would stop writing in that her character should retire or die and get replaced by Crystal or Thundra.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Defalco's run had the Thing Helmet, the boob window, and Hyperstorm.

It's no contest.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

laz0rbeak posted:

I'd definitely vote Englehart. Most of the 70's runs at least had something to recommend them. John Buscema's art, the divorce storyline from around 140-150 (where Namor tricks everyone into getting them back together), Perez doing art on the next run, or Conway's big Doom showdown around issue 200. Millar and DeFalco have plenty of dumb ideas, but Englehart is just telling awful stories with ugly art. He also seemed to think he'd get great mileage out of a newly married Johnny Storm being around Crystal, but she's married too and there's really no tension at all.

I'm maybe not the best judge because I sort of liked bits and pieces of the Claremont and Pacheco/Marin/Loeb runs... :blush:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Lurdiak posted:

If it helps contextualize, Stan Lee was trying to be progressive by having "gender war" stuff in the era of "women's lib". Some characters were old-fashioned, others were trying to express the idea that women are equal to men. He just didn't do a very good job of it, so it tends to look like the men are horrible sexists and that he endorses it.

Wow, it's a good thing that Stan Lee was pretty committed to civil rights because otherwise we'd have Thor yelling "friend of the family" for the first fifty issues and a separate The Adequate Negro X-Men comic book. :stare:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Now look what you guys did:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DarkCrawler posted:

Wow, it's a good thing that Stan Lee was pretty committed to civil rights because otherwise we'd have Thor yelling "friend of the family" for the first fifty issues and a separate The Adequate Negro X-Men comic book. :stare:

Man, comics are so shameless. They're gonna steal Tyroc from DC too?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

IUG posted:

Why are Marvel threatening us?! I didn't do anything!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

IUG posted:

I am okay with this.

Mainly because I don't give a gently caress about Nightcrawler so the risk isn't there and its nice that he is still getting the occasional book.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am okay with this.

Mainly because I don't give a gently caress about Nightcrawler so the risk isn't there and its nice that he is still getting the occasional book.

Read X-men and New Mutant Forever, and your tune will change. See also X-men The End.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

IUG posted:

I wonder if they're going to use the AR stuff to help Claremont jam in more clunky dialog and exposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

bobkatt013 posted:

Read X-men and New Mutant Forever, and your tune will change. See also X-men The End.

In X-Men: The End he made Nightcrawler into an actor who stared in James Bond movies produced by Jubilee.
Nightcrawlers ultimate destiny was to become Timothy Dalton. I am 100% fine with that as a character arc for Kurt.

• Locked thread