Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Season 3 was great until the last 30 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Season 3 was great until the last 30 seconds.

I have faith that the explanation will not be stupid.

hollylolly posted:

I am still waiting for it to air on PBS. :smith:

Use Hola, the Firefox add-on. I'm pretty sure we're allowed to talk about that in here, because Couch Chat is where I learned about it. Unless you're just really intent on not tricking the BBC website.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So the "Gotham" TV show is going to become a live-action version of the failed "Gotham High" project. This show started out as a police procedural set in Gotham City and now it's turning into a teen drama. Sure, network TV has a lot of police procedural but at least Batman lends itself to that genre better than a high school drama. I wanted Law and Order: Gotham City not Party of Five with Batman, dammit :smith:

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Benny the Snake posted:

So the "Gotham" TV show is going to become a live-action version of the failed "Gotham High" project. This show started out as a police procedural set in Gotham City and now it's turning into a teen drama. Sure, network TV has a lot of police procedural but at least Batman lends itself to that genre better than a high school drama. I wanted Law and Order: Gotham City not Party of Five with Batman, dammit :smith:

NOOOOOOooooo :gonk:
Then again, if done right, it could be a great subversion on high school shows. But it probably won't be.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Benny the Snake posted:

This is amazing and I love it more than I've loved anything in awhile. No one is going to watch it but me but it's already in my top 5 favorite shows. Definite Scooby Doo potential.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm guessing they got spooked by SHIELD sucking and realized a Batman show without Batman or his villains was a bad idea.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Postal Parcel posted:

NOOOOOOooooo :gonk:
Then again, if done right, it could be a great subversion on high school shows. But it probably won't be.

The article is making a tongue-in-cheek comparison to the Gotham High pitch. It's not actually a high school show, though that'd probably be more fun than what we're getting (Smallville: Batman Edition).

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Ahhhh, so that's why I was getting a Mads Mikkelsen vibe from Magnussen in the last Sherlock episode; it's not just the accent, it's his brother.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Irish Joe posted:

I will say that for all its faults, Sherlock has the most realistic portrayal of someone 'thinking through a problem' I've ever seen on television. There are no epiphanies, characters don't shout "Eureka!" like clockwork at the 40 minute mark, and solutions aren't triggered by utter coincidences. When Sherlock goes to his Mind Palace, he's actually recalling facts and ideas by making mental connections like a real person would. Its a refreshing take on a genre that has become stale and formulaic over the last decade.

And to add to this, not only does it go to great lengths to show you how it works, but it also changes up *how* it shows it. Each episode provides some little or big twist to how the visualization is shown, so you can never really settle in to "oh, this is the Explanation Zone" because you have to catch up with how the train of thought is being presented this time. It's consistently my favorite part(s) of the episodes.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

FoneBone posted:

The article is making a tongue-in-cheek comparison to the Gotham High pitch. It's not actually a high school show, though that'd probably be more fun than what we're getting (Smallville: Batman Edition).

So, we're getting Batman sans Batman for 8 seasons before he finally gets to be called Batman?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Okay, the episode finally aired so I can talk about it in depth.

It was actually covered earlier in Couch Chat, but Archer LITERALLY blew up its main hook tonight. The spy agency was disbanded. Now the plot of the season involves the remaining members trying to sell off the literal ton of cocaine they've acquired piecemeal through various (unseen) misadventures so they can start new lives.

The montage they played at the end of the season makes it look amazing.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I'm kind of pissed that they did that montage though. I think I would've preferred to have gone into the rest of the season unspoiled. What they showed looks potentially great though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hcreight posted:

I'm kind of pissed that they did that montage though. I think I would've preferred to have gone into the rest of the season unspoiled. What they showed looks potentially great though.

I suspect about half that montage were "dummy" scenes.

Speaking of shows that come on after Archer, Chozen is... not good. Like... Brickleberry bad. Like... failed Adult Swim show bad.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

cool kids inc. posted:

It's official y'all. I'm am old British grandma. I was going through recommended stuff on Netflix, and there, taunting me for ages, has been Midsomer Murders (because I like sherlock).

I caved in to watching it the other day, not realizing there are 14 seasons.

I think it's awesome.

Now, get off my loving lawn, you young bastards. :argh:

Less a British grandma and more a Little Englander perhaps.

Midsummer Murders makes Girls look like loving Shaft. It is literally Bergerac set in Oswald Mosley's post-war fantasyland.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 14, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mo0 posted:

The funny part is everyone in here is in agreement that Sherlock owns while reading the actual Sherlock thread makes it sound like the last scene of this season was Steven Moffat filming himself taking a poo poo.

I haven't watched episode 3 yet but I really enjoyed the first two episodes this season. It's been so long that I was starting to forget how inferior Jonny Lee Miller's sad-hobo-clown Sherlock is.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

I haven't watched episode 3 yet but I really enjoyed the first two episodes this season. It's been so long that I was starting to forget how inferior Jonny Lee Miller's sad-hobo-clown Sherlock is.

If you liked the first two you're gonna loving love the third.

I for one am glad the series made a commitment to moving fully toward "this show is about the relationship between Sherlock and Watson, who incidentally solve crimes" because Cumberbatch is good and Freeman has been loving fantastic, seriously, I'd say he's the best actor on the show now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's also funny now. The first two seasons feel humorless in comparison.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

raditts posted:

It's been so long that I was starting to forget how inferior Jonny Lee Miller's sad-hobo-clown Sherlock is.
:frogout:

precision posted:

I for one am glad the series made a commitment to moving fully toward "this show is about the relationship between Sherlock and Watson, who incidentally solve crimes"
This is a perfect description of Elementary.

True Detective is pretty good. They should have just gone ahead and set it in Texas instead of Louisiana, and I'm reminded more of The Killing than Hannibal at this point, but I'll keep watching.

Slamhound fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 14, 2014

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

I'm finna watch all of House again from start to finish

I feel like I probably missed some deetz here and there back when it was my youth anthem

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Midsummer Murders makes Girls look like loving Shaft. It is literally Bergerac set in Oswald Mosley's post-war fantasyland.

Hey, I watched an episode from season 14 last night, and there was a black guy in it. And he wasn't even the murderer!

But yeah, it's whitebread central and Midsomer is a fictive conservative shithole, but somehow it still very soothing to watch. Kinda like Downton Abbey.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Slamhound posted:

This is a perfect description of Elementary.

I can't be the only one who is now firmly in the Elementary, despite its faults, is clearly the better TV show camp, can I?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm in the there is room for two modern day interpretations of Sherlock Holmes and we don't need to get into arguments about which one is better when they both take such different approaches camp.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Elementary's characters are way more developed but it's not a fair comparison since there's like 30 hours of Elementary content.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

Elementary's characters are way more developed but it's not a fair comparison since there's like 30 hours of Elementary content.

Well, every episode of Sherlock feels like its 30 hours long, so there's some room to improve character development.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm in the there is room for two modern day interpretations of Sherlock Holmes and we don't need to get into arguments about which one is better when they both take such different approaches camp.

Yeah, the shows are so completely different that I see no point in comparing them at all. It's like comparing the Ethan Hawke version of Hamlet to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Regy Rusty posted:

I suppose the only way to solve this is for the OPs of the two threads to actually slapfight.

:getin:

Edit: actually let me look up who the other OP is first :ohdear:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

precision posted:

Chozen is... not good. Like... Brickleberry bad. Like... failed Adult Swim show bad.

God, this is true as hell. Bobby Moynihan! Hannibal Buress! Method Man! The crew behind Eastbound and Archer! How did they gently caress that up?

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

hollylolly posted:

I suppose the only way to solve this is for the OPs of the two threads to actually slapfight.

:getin:

Edit: actually let me look up who the other OP is first :ohdear:

It's ON!! :whip:

cool kids inc. fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 14, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Since Cumberbatch and Miller are friends (or at least, think highly of each other) I'm still waiting on the crossover episode.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I couldn't get past the second episode of Sherlock. The one with I think the Asian crime gang in it or something. Just didn't grab me and felt like a chore to watch, you know when your mind keeps wondering onto other things and you have to keep skipping back because you missed everything that was said in the previous scene? Yeah that's what kept happening. Not my cup of tea I guess.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
If nothing else, Elementary deserves props for taking 'Sherlock Holmes in New York but Watson's a chick' and managing to not only be a perfectly watchable procedural but also feature a platonic relationship between a man and a woman where both characters actually grow and become better as a result of working/living together. With absolutely zero sexual innuendo, will they/won't they bullshit, or secret long glances from one to the other. I really like Sherlock as well and it's a fun 4.5 hour event every few years, but the actual relationship between Watson and Holmes is infinitely more interesting on Elementary compared to Sherlock, where Martin Freeman's Watson is just mostly there to tell Sherlock how incredible he is and what an amazing human being he is because Steven Moffat loves patting himself on the back.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

It's also funny now. The first two seasons feel humorless in comparison.

ouch, my brain.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bown posted:

ouch, my brain.

I don't recall ever laughing. I guess Irene Adler had some funny moments? But for the most part I was bored until season 3.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't recall ever laughing. I guess Irene Adler had some funny moments? But for the most part I was bored until season 3.

The brain hurt is focused more on finding season 3 funny than finding seasons 1 and 2 unfunny. The stag night scene especially deserves to go down as one of the worst attempts at humour in basically the entire history of television.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Some people find things funny that other people don't find very funny hth

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Bown posted:

The brain hurt is focused more on finding season 3 funny than finding seasons 1 and 2 unfunny. The stag night scene especially deserves to go down as one of the worst attempts at humour in basically the entire history of television.

I've never been, but: this is what the Sherlock thread is like, isn't it?

edit -- I like both takes on Sherlock Holmes. Sherlock has more of a 'every episode is a like a movie' vibe which is fun and cool, and Elementary has some interesting takes on the traditional characters. As VDay mentioned, Elementary has also pulled off the male/female lead pairing without falling into the 'will they/won't they' trap better than just about anything else I've seen.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 14, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

ChetReckless posted:

I've never been, but: this is what the Sherlock thread is like, isn't it?

Its missing a four page traffic derail, but yeah, pretty close.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

VDay posted:

If nothing else, Elementary deserves props for taking 'Sherlock Holmes in New York but Watson's a chick' and managing to not only be a perfectly watchable procedural but also feature a platonic relationship between a man and a woman where both characters actually grow and become better as a result of working/living together. With absolutely zero sexual innuendo, will they/won't they bullshit, or secret long glances from one to the other.

Unfortunately they projected all that bullshit onto his brother, instead.

quote:

I really like Sherlock as well and it's a fun 4.5 hour event every few years, but the actual relationship between Watson and Holmes is infinitely more interesting on Elementary compared to Sherlock, where Martin Freeman's Watson is just mostly there to tell Sherlock how incredible he is and what an amazing human being he is because Steven Moffat loves patting himself on the back.

I'm not sure which Sherlock you're watching where this happens. Then again I think I'm watching the Elementary from bizarro world where instead of Holmes and Watson having an interesting relationship it's mostly just *sherlock does a thing* "Mr. Ranger isn't gonna like that, Sherlock!" It kind of feels like Elementary's Sherlock is more derivative of House than the original.

ChetReckless posted:

edit -- I like both takes on Sherlock Holmes. Sherlock has more of a 'every episode is a like a movie' vibe which is fun and cool, and Elementary has some interesting takes on the traditional characters. As VDay mentioned, Elementary has also pulled off the male/female lead pairing without falling into the 'will they/won't they' trap better than just about anything else I've seen.

I like them both too despite all the poo poo talking I'm doing, and I can appreciate the dynamic of the platonic male/female duo, but I don't think they are really that interesting of characters, they mostly feel like procedural character tropes to me. Elementary is a "DVR and watch a couple days later" show for me, whereas Sherlock I want to watch right away. Maybe it's just the scarcity of the latter.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 14, 2014

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm sort of surprised no one doing a modern Sherlock adaptation has flipped it all around for the sake of being different; Sherlock is a passive, awkward, eccentric genius that no one in their right might would trust to solve any crime, Dr. Watson is a clever bastard using his institutionalized friend's abilities to help him solve crimes for the police as a consultant and to sell books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shame on any Sherlock adaptation that doesn't show him as a raging coke fiend.

• Locked thread