Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

HollisBrown posted:

I looked at that picture again and you should be in pretty good shape. It looks like the only steel strings on it were the 1st and 2nd and the rest were nylon. It probably didn't warp the neck too badly if at all.

Now that you have all the strings off take some alcohol and scrub that fretboard down then wipe it down with some Lemon Seed oil.

Will do!

I've restrung my normal classical before and it was fairly easy, only trouble was the B string slipping when I tuned it. An extra loop when knotting it sorted that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Fun time guys, I'm off to practice but at the end of the night we pull names to get two people to select two new songs for the next week (avoids drama and is fun randomness). If my name gets pulled I'm pondering my selection. I'm torn between:

Beautiful Dangerous - Slash w/Fergie
99 Red Balloons - Goldfinger
46 & 2 - Tool

Female singer with crazy pipes on her incidentally.

You choose.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
tooL

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

HollisBrown posted:

So I need to get my electric playing chops back up. My picking is actually much better than my left hand technique now. What are some good left hand coordination exercises?

There's a thing from one of Joe Satriani's old Guitar for the Practicing Musician articles that will put some serious hurt into your left arm when you get it up to speed:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah I use that one but jesus christ playing it in triplets can really gently caress with you

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Agreed posted:

Basically any hair band that charted is worth learning just to pick up some of the really cool licks that they were doing back then. Ratt's "Round and Round" and "Lay It Down" are both fun and interesting,

I said this in the Rocksmith thread, I finally got the game and while I was in Eb I gave Round and Round a try for a laugh. Nothing I'd ever listen to ("Out on the streets!!" - can it get more 80s hair metal) but god drat is it ever fun to play

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

muike posted:

Yeah I use that one but jesus christ playing it in triplets can really gently caress with you

That's why it's so great. Plus it lets you know if you haven't been playing for a while and have gotten sloppy and weak.

And it sounds like a Ron Jarzombek song.:v:

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

comes along bort posted:

There's a thing from one of Joe Satriani's old Guitar for the Practicing Musician articles that will put some serious hurt into your left arm when you get it up to speed:

Thats the kind of thing I want to start to practice more. Doing some up/down picking but at the same time doing triplets accurately at slower speeds can be hard to get clean. Your one hand is doing something with even pattern (up/down/up/down) while the other is doing something with an odd number pattern and your brain is used to both hands doing similar actions.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm tempted by this deal Guitar Center has. You pay $20 and you get $5 in store credit to purchase a set of guitar strings once a month for 12 months. So up to $60 worth of strings for $20. Not a bad deal.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/String-Club-g26620t0.gc

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Guitar wiring question: I just got a new pickup but I can't get it to work. This is my first time installing a pickup.

It has 4 wires. The pickup came with a sheet that says "Yellow and red together, solder and tape. Green and shield to ground. Blue is hot. I played around with it for a while and I eventually got down to this:

Blue -> directly soldered to input jack inner sleeve
Yellow and Red -> twisted together but without solder and tape
Ground -> attached to nothing

And I'm still getting nothing. I got a little sick of huffing lead so I figured I'd take a break and ask about it. Am I wrong that putting blue directly to the jack with no ground should produce a noise when tapping on the pickup with a screwdriver? I tested the jack, cable, and amp and they're working normally.

edit: I took the old pickup which had green as hot and found that simply by touching the wire to the jack I get a clear sound out of it. I then tested each wire on the new pickup and the paper insert was wrong. Green is hot.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 13, 2014

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

ChocNitty posted:

I'm tempted by this deal Guitar Center has. You pay $20 and you get $5 in store credit to purchase a set of guitar strings once a month for 12 months. So up to $60 worth of strings for $20. Not a bad deal.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/String-Club-g26620t0.gc

I was wondering if I would be able to make this worth it with the frequency I change strings, then realized you could buy a set for somebody else one month or if you have multiple guitars you get one for a different guitar each month. Would they let you buy like a few E strings instead of a set?

It might be cool to try out just to try some different strings out every so often. The ones I ended up gravitating to a while back are the Dead Markley Blue Steel, which are over $5 and then there is tax so I would still have to shell out some money.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

JHVH-1 posted:

I was wondering if I would be able to make this worth it with the frequency I change strings, then realized you could buy a set for somebody else one month or if you have multiple guitars you get one for a different guitar each month. Would they let you buy like a few E strings instead of a set?

It might be cool to try out just to try some different strings out every so often. The ones I ended up gravitating to a while back are the Dead Markley Blue Steel, which are over $5 and then there is tax so I would still have to shell out some money.

Yeah you could do that, or you can just stockpile some sets, and maybe have another 6-12 months of extra strings to use. I like GHS Guitar Boomers and Ernie Ball Slinkys which are both a shade under $5.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

JHVH-1 posted:

I don't exactly understand the deal. You pay 5 dollars a month and then every month you have 5 dollars balance added to a card that can only be used to buy strings? Why wouldn't I just go buy strings?

edit: oh, you only pay 20 total dollars.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 13, 2014

JD
Jan 11, 2003
You can use the 5$ for anything if you ask.

I posted a week or two ago about an interview I had Eastman guitars, still don't know if I got it but I'm hoping!

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
I was looking to get a second electric to go along with my Epi SG that I have swapped out the humbuckers on (JB and Jazz), and was thinking of something with a brighter tone. I've always wanted to have a tele, but I Was wondering how the Fender Standards are (the $500 ones) as that's about my budget.

Also, I'm looking for something really cheap for a project that will have me adding a lot of electronics to a guitar and cutting into the body a lot. I was thinking a cheap Squier or something would do the trick?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

booshi posted:

Also, I'm looking for something really cheap for a project that will have me adding a lot of electronics to a guitar and cutting into the body a lot. I was thinking a cheap Squier or something would do the trick?

You can get cheap necks and bodies from GuitarFetish if you wanted to go that route.

e: Wow yep, there you go.

Manky fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 13, 2014

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Manky posted:

You can get cheap necks and bodies from GuitarFetish if you wanted to go that route.

Why are you suggesting the expensive parts? :)
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Factory-Buyout-Clearance-Sale_c_410.html Bodies and necks
http://www.guitarfetish.com/OEM-Parts-Wholesale-Pricing_c_427.html Hardware

Warning: The bodies and necks are okayish, the hardware is pretty crap. This is not GFS standard stuff.

But they're great for carving up.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Does anyone know if you can put in an mp3 file as a track for a tab in Guitar Pro 6? I already have the full tabs but I would get a better feel for the song if I could start the tabs at the same time with the music and just disable the GP6 instruments temporarily. I tried starting the song in Spotify and GP6 at the same time but it isn't the same.

Edit:

Also I'm trying to understand what the gently caress ghost notes are but even after reading the wikipedia entry I'm still confused. Notes that are muted and barely make any sound or something? No idea what that is for but this song has them.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 13, 2014

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Those are unplayable. Is that from a Guitar Pro tab? If so, the guy is just condensing octaves onto the same staves/tab lines in order to save tracks

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

juche mane posted:

Those are unplayable. Is that from a Guitar Pro tab? If so, the guy is just condensing octaves onto the same staves/tab lines in order to save tracks

Yeah it's guitar pro. So what you are saying is that I should just ignore them? Because apparently ghost notes are written with a parenthesis around them. Not that I know what they are. :v:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Torabi posted:

Yeah it's guitar pro. So what you are saying is that I should just ignore them? Because apparently ghost notes are written with a parenthesis around them. Not that I know what they are. :v:

You can ignore them. You'll see guitar pro use them pretty often when there are ties between measures and in this case you might consider retabbing the part to use actual playable octaves on the 4th and 6th strings based on what you hear on the album. I encourage anyone using guitar pro to save a local copy and modify the hell out of tabs.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Couldn't that part realistically be a muted percussive note? It's a stretch but I just tried it and it works.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Couldn't that part realistically be a muted percussive note? It's a stretch but I just tried it and it works.

Well, Wikipedia sure makes it sound like that. Whatever a muted percussive note is.

Wikipedia posted:

In music, a ghost note, dead note, or false note, is a musical note with a rhythmic value, but no discernible pitch when played. On stringed instruments, this is played by sounding a muted string. "Muted to the point where it is more percussive sounding than obvious and clear in pitch. There is a pitch, to be sure, but its musical value is more rhythmic than melodic or harmonic...they add momentum and drive to any bass line.

Still, playing a muted string makes no sense to me. But I'm still very new to all of this.

Edit:

Actually, turns out JustinGuitar has a video on it. (muting strings, not the whole percussive note stuff as far as I know) How could I forget about him. Need to watch his stuff more. A lot more.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
http://www.songsterr.com/a/wa/howToReadTab#ghostNote

quote:

Ghost Note

The best description of a ghost note, is a note that is felt but not heard. You will play the note softer, and without emphasis. A ghost note can be played by fretting a note, but not picking it. Ghost notes are barely audible, but they do a lot to the feel of the music. The notation for the ghost note is round brackets.

Just feel the notes man. Trippy stuff.

I still don't know how it would be physically possible if you wanted to add it in that example.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

JHVH-1 posted:

http://www.songsterr.com/a/wa/howToReadTab#ghostNote

Just feel the notes man. Trippy stuff.

I still don't know how it would be physically possible if you wanted to add it in that example.

Groovy.

I guess I would have to stretch my fretting hand an ungodly distance. But hey, at least I learned about string muting which cleared up a lot for me when I play and the notes ring out and I hear the original where they don't. So that's good. I'll skip these ghost notes for now. But once I reach the level of guitar playing where I start to worry about my jazz face and whatnot I'll learn ghost notes for real.

I wish artists would put up their own official tabs. (I've seen it happen sometimes but usually only a few songs) But maybe that would spawn a new type of piracy where people learn to play the songs themselves and don't buy their music.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 13, 2014

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
- edit - no it isn't, I'm dumb. Thought they were harmonics, but it works on the first note, but the second (the C) would produce an E rather than the indicated C.

Axeman Jim fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 13, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Torabi posted:

Groovy.

I guess I would have to stretch my fretting hand an ungodly distance. But hey, at least I learned about string muting which cleared up a lot for me when I play and the notes ring out and I hear the original where they don't. So that's good. I'll skip these ghost notes for now. But once I reach the level of guitar playing where I start to worry about my jazz face and whatnot I'll learn ghost notes for real.

They come up in Rocksmith too, but yeah it's a rhythmic thing. They can be a subtle texture change or a percussive thing - if you want an extreme example, think of the Smells Like Teen Spirit intro riff. Danga dang chakka chakka dang danga dang... muting the strings for the chakka chakka part defines the sound, and you have to mute with your fretting hand - palm muting gives a totally different tone and feel.

Ghost notes are really about those kinds of dynamics, it's like the rhythm of speech. You put different levels of stress on different syllables, you rush some words and draw out others... if you spoke-eve-ry-thing-like-this it would sound weird and boring. Same with your playing, the dynamics add a lot and they're a natural part of your interaction with the instrument when you get comfortable

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Torabi posted:

I wish artists would put up their own official tabs. (I've seen it happen sometimes but usually only a few songs) But maybe that would spawn a new type of piracy where people learn to play the songs themselves and don't buy their music.

Incidentally that's why OLGA was taken down and why record labels are going after UG and other sites, though the claim was artists were being denied royalties from official transcription books.

Ironically the initial lawsuit against OLGA was filed at the peak of record sales.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 13, 2014

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I think I just fell in love with the new Gibson "LPJ". It sounded perfect for me right out of the box - I'd been trying offbrand Les Pauls like the SD loaded Charvels, Ibanez, Epiphones..and then it just felt right.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 14, 2014

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Sockington posted:

I think I just fell in love with the new Gibson Les Paul Jr. It sounded perfect for me right out of the box - I'd been trying offbrand Les Pauls like the SD loaded Charvels, Ibanez, Epiphones..and then it just felt right.

Did you try the new 2014 one or 2013? I might have bought a 2013 one on black Friday if they had them in stock.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I've now tried over 20 different picks and they all feel entirely wrong. However the best feeling one I think was the thinnest, because it released the strings more easily than the rest. I don't know if there's a term for it, but I dislike how much force I need to get a pick through a string. There's just too much force involved in snapping past a string. I think this has something to do with how deep my pick is going past the string to hit it, so I guess that's just a practice issue? Any recommendation for a pick for someone who has this problem so I don't hate it while I get my pick skill up? Or some tips for anything I'm doing wrong with the pick? Should I be hitting the strings at an angle with the pick to make it release easier?

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
Assuming you're on an electric, sounds like you are digging in far too far with the pick. If it's catching on the strings you're placing the tip of the pick below the bottom of the string which will make it catch. You only need to touch the strings with the very tip of the pick, no matter how vigorous your style is.

If you are a real masochist, you could try a Stylus Pick, which is designed to make it completely impossible to play with anything other than the very tip of the pick. However, unlike your request, you WILL hate it. You will hate it so very, very much. But it will work!

This guy has the right technique.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Just a matter of preference and practice. If you spend time with picks you can get to where you can play virtually anything. I have picks ranging in thickness from .75mm to 14mm, in shapes you wouldn't believe, and after using them for some time I can go between them with minimal adjustment if any. Try some picking exercises that move you around the strings, and take it slow at first. You're not trying to "break the speed barrier," you're trying to adhere to good practices and develop good habits for your own approach to playing with a plectrum :)

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

signalnoise posted:

I've now tried over 20 different picks and they all feel entirely wrong. However the best feeling one I think was the thinnest, because it released the strings more easily than the rest. I don't know if there's a term for it, but I dislike how much force I need to get a pick through a string. There's just too much force involved in snapping past a string. I think this has something to do with how deep my pick is going past the string to hit it, so I guess that's just a practice issue? Any recommendation for a pick for someone who has this problem so I don't hate it while I get my pick skill up? Or some tips for anything I'm doing wrong with the pick? Should I be hitting the strings at an angle with the pick to make it release easier?

The thin, floppy picks are more forgiving. So, when you are a beginner, and you are imprecise, it's okay. The hard picks give more control but you gotta be on the money or you'll just pull the string or bounce the pick onto the floor.

Most of the lesson plans I've seen say to go with as heavy of a pick as you can stand.

It also depends on what you are doing. If you are playing leads you don't wanna be using one of those .001mm nylon jobs.

I'm just being super general and ignoring the vast world of picks here- that some sound different, some are expensive, etc.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 14, 2014

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I am not particularly good, but I find it makes little difference. You simply adjust how much pressure you strum with based on the thickness. I have 20-30 picks of pretty much every thickness and I tend to use the ones with the color and logo I like the most. :chord:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

signalnoise posted:

Did you try a Jazz III?

I had one but never liked it, too small and hard and difficult to strum with. A lot of people here raved about them all the time though, so I started using it during my practice drills, and I got used to handling it. It really does give you a lot of control, you can play very loud or very soft through the tiniest movement, and it kinda forces you to get economical like that because they're so short - the tip is so close to your fingers that flailing is gonna get you scraped up. (I do that on bass with it though :catstare: )

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Jazz IIIs are like playing with a scalpel and I refuse to go back to regular shaped picks. Since you're just starting out I say try some .60 to .88 nylon or tortex dunlops since everyone starting out usually loves those (even I did when I first started). You can graduate up to thicker or weirder picks eventually. poo poo, I used to use 1.14mm Clayton rounded triangles because I got a free one signed by the guitar player from Andrew WK at a warped tour in 2004 and then tried it out one day and loved it. So much like every other aspect of guitar, there's no real right or wrong choice so pick what you like.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

baka kaba posted:

Did you try a Jazz III?

I had one but never liked it, too small and hard and difficult to strum with. A lot of people here raved about them all the time though, so I started using it during my practice drills, and I got used to handling it. It really does give you a lot of control, you can play very loud or very soft through the tiniest movement, and it kinda forces you to get economical like that because they're so short - the tip is so close to your fingers that flailing is gonna get you scraped up. (I do that on bass with it though :catstare: )

Yeah, I got 2 Dunlop variety packs, and a Jazz III was in there. Of the stiffer picks I gravitate toward that one the most because the point is so sharp. Maybe I need to try a much much thicker pick but really I think the issue I'm having with picks is just that I can't really feel what the pick is doing yet. They have very little sensory feedback unlike fingertips, which is also why the finger picks I got don't do me much good. I imagine that like fingering on the neck, eventually I'll just get a feel for where my pick hand is relative to the strings, I'm just not there yet. Drills drills drills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Anyone have a Vibramate V7 they don't need and would like to sell?