Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Obdicut posted:

Did you just completely ignore what I said?

You used the ratio of 10:1 of petroleum calories to food calories to demonstrate the unsustainability of our agricultural system. The number is completely irrelevant, and you keep ignoring this, over and over. It's becoming really, really loving weird. It wouldn't matter if the ratio was 1.000001:1, it'd still be unsustainable.

What aren't you getting about this?

I really don't even know why you think that this ratio has no meaning or value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

I really don't even know why you think that this ratio has no meaning or value.

I've explained it over and over; are you just not reading the posts?

We have a finite amount of fossil fuel, a very finite amount. This means that anything that depends on it is unsustainable. It doesn't matter the rate at which it uses it, it's unsustainable. It doesn't matter if it's 10:1 or 2:1 or 1.0001:1, it's still unsustainable. It is completely irrelevant to cite the number.

Can you explain what you're not understanding about this, or what meaning you think that ratio has? Not the fact that it's unsustainable, because, again, any ratio would be unsustainable: what meaning is there in that particular ratio?

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

I wonder how many calories it takes to grow your own food and walk it to your table. Here's an example of what I mean:

I live in Ecuador. I have a big property, and decided I want to grow some of my own food rather than get it at the farmer's market here. I made my own compost to enrich the soil in my yard (extremely easy to do, just put dead grass, cow manure and fruit peels in a pile and wait). I then grew blackberries and tomatoes using nothing but seeds I had laying around. I planted them and in a few months I had more than enough blackberries and tomatoes for my family. Nature did %99 of the work. I didn't even water my plants. I didn't use chemical fertilizers, pesticides, or ship my food across the world. I basically used no energy derived from fossil fuels.

Is this supposed to be an example of sustainable agriculture? Not everyone has a big backyard to grow some fruit plants in, or lives on arable land even if they do have a backyard, and it's not as if you grew enough food to live off of. All you did was supplement your groceries with some home-grown tomatoes and blackberries. I agree that our current agricultural practices are unsustainable, but the solution won't be people growing fruit in their backyard. I have pear, pecan, and fig trees in my backyard; they're a great way to make cheap but delicious desserts(and wine with the pears). I give my neighbors the produce I don't use, but that is not scalable up to a national or global level. Examples of sustainable large-scale grain production would be far more effective in demonstrating your point.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Really? karthun likes to throw insults at the people who he disagrees with and I'm the one that's "spewing bile" (lol)?

I looked over all his posts in this thread and didn't see him throw a single insult. You're reaching, and projecting quite a bit to avoid any sort of criticism or discussion.

You aren't seriously engaging with anyone, and it'll be no surprise when shortly people stop responding to your posts.

You also keep trying to dance around anyone's points with an appeal to sustainable agriculture, but no serious discussion of what that means. This kind of wreaks of western privilege though, since these organic, sustainable practices which don't involve fertilizers at all will not scale to feed humanity.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 13, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Obdicut posted:

Did you just completely ignore what I said?

You used the ratio of 10:1 of petroleum calories to food calories to demonstrate the unsustainability of our agricultural system. The number is completely irrelevant, and you keep ignoring this, over and over. It's becoming really, really loving weird. It wouldn't matter if the ratio was 1.000001:1, it'd still be unsustainable.

What aren't you getting about this?

The point of that statistic is to demonstrate how reliant our current system is on petroleum. Which it is. No, it doesn't follow that "because of that number, unsustainability", but to say it's irrelevant is a bit much.

Also it would matter if the ratio was 1.0000001:1 because then our systems would be incredibly efficient and not as reliant on petroleum for production.

Saying that it would be unsustainable if we cut our fossil fuel inputs by an order of magnitude is closing in on a "heat death of the universe" level argument.

Yiggy posted:

You also keep trying to dance around anyone's points with an appeal to sustainable agriculture, but no serious discussion of what that means. This kind of wreaks of western privilege though, since these organic, sustainable practices which don't involve fertilizers at all will not scale to feed humanity.

Permaculture doesn't exclude the use of fertilizers nor is it going to replace the entire agriculture industry (for a lot of reasons, but the fact that it can't is a good one) but it does offer methods for some of our food production to become less reliant on fossil fuels. Which is a good thing.

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 13, 2014

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

down with slavery posted:

The point of that statistic is to demonstrate how reliant our current system is on petroleum. Which it is. No, it doesn't follow that "because of that number, unsustainability", but to say it's irrelevant is a bit much.

Permaculture doesn't exclude the use of fertilizers nor is it going to replace the entire agriculture industry (for a lot of reasons, but the fact that it can't is a good one) but it does offer methods for some of our food production to become less reliant on fossil fuels. Which is a good thing.

Exactly

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Saying that it would be unsustainable if we cut our fossil fuel inputs by an order of magnitude is closing in on a "heat death of the universe" level argument.
It doesn't make much sense to talk about this without mentioning what portion of fossil fuel use worldwide is used for agriculture, do you have statistics for that? An order of magnitude would make a huge difference if agriculture is a major percentage of fuel use, but not so much if it is not, and I genuinely don't know the answer to that. (A breakdown with what component is transport and what is actually for growing would be nice too while I'm asking you to do research for me.)

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

That statistic, on its own, is meaningless, though. It shows that we're reliant on petroleum because it's petroleum. it doesn't demonstrate 'how' reliant it is because the 10:1 ratio would need to be compared with a much more complex set of numbers to know if that's actually big or not. If we had 10^24 calories of fossil fuel reserves, that ratio would be sustainable for 91 million years, assuming a global population of ten billion each eating 3000 calories a day.

quote:

Also it would matter if the ratio was 1.0000001:1 because then our systems would be incredibly efficient and not as reliant on petroleum for production.

The efficiency calculation is incomplete without the total amount of reserves.

quote:

... What? We have limited amounts of fossil fuel. You think that, if we cut down fossil fuel inputs for agriculture only, that everything else would be fine? No, we'd still run out of fossil fuels, long, long before the heat death of the universe. You really think agriculture makes up most of fossil fuel usage?

quote:

The point that is trying to be made to booty shorts repeatedly, which is a very simple argument and I really don't get why he gets it:

The problem is that we rely on fossil fuels, which are limited in amount and produce CO2, which is causing catastrophic global warming.

That we use 10cal fossil fuels to make 1cal of food means that, to know how long that can be sustained for, you need to know the total number of calories of fossil fuels available, and all other factors involving their use. Nevertheless, reducing that number is a good thing, but it's not a solution, because there's still a limited amount of fuel and agriculture is not the prime user of fuel.

If we had a ratio of 100:1 of calories of fuel to food, but those fuel-calories came from fully-sustainable sources, then it would not matter how incredibly inefficient it is. The ratio is unimportant, except in context, and no context has been given, not even the absolutely necessary for that statistic to have any meaning context of how many total calories of fossil fuel are available.

Nobody is arguing that we can sustain our usage of fossil fuels, here. No one is arguing improving efficiency of fuel usage on food wouldn't [edit: hopefully nobody got confused, I said it backwards the first time] be a 'good', all other things being equal. What's being argued is that that ratio of 10:1 is completely goddamn meaningless without a lot of other context, and throwing it around as though it's a meaningful examination of efficiency is counterproductive because it makes people arguing for sustainability look like they have no clue what they're talking about.

Give me 100/1 energy calories to food calorie ratio any day, as long as that's sustainable energy.

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 13, 2014

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
In that case, hook up non-coal/gas electricity to electrodes in a water tank and fill up the hydrogen tractor. Problem solved.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

I wonder how many calories it takes to grow your own food and walk it to your table. Here's an example of what I mean:

I live in Ecuador. I have a big property, and decided I want to grow some of my own food rather than get it at the farmer's market here. I made my own compost to enrich the soil in my yard (extremely easy to do, just put dead grass, cow manure and fruit peels in a pile and wait). I then grew blackberries and tomatoes using nothing but seeds I had laying around. I planted them and in a few months I had more than enough blackberries and tomatoes for my family. Nature did %99 of the work. I didn't even water my plants. I didn't use chemical fertilizers, pesticides, or ship my food across the world. I basically used no energy derived from fossil fuels.

Congrats, you have a garden. Do me a favor sometime and try make a loaf of wheat bread by only using your own garden and equipment in your home, good luck. Same with rice and maize. Potatoes are actually quite easy to grow, as long as it doesn't get too hot, or too cold or too humid, or too dry. P. infestans will eventually make your entire potato plot its bitch for a couple of years. But hey, thats the cost of being self-righteous.

The point I am trying to make here is that the practices that you use with the fruits and vegetables for your garden are not appropriate nor will not scale up to the staples needed to feed 7 billion people.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

karthun posted:

Congrats, you have a garden. Do me a favor sometime and try make a loaf of wheat bread by only using your own garden and equipment in your home, good luck. Same with rice and maize. Potatoes are actually quite easy to grow, as long as it doesn't get too hot, or too cold or too humid, or too dry. P. infestans will eventually make your entire potato plot its bitch for a couple of years. But hey, thats the cost of being self-righteous.

The point I am trying to make here is that the practices that you use with the fruits and vegetables for your garden are not appropriate nor will not scale up to the staples needed to feed 7 billion people.

Then people will have to stop eating so many grains.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Try telling that to the third world and see if it makes a difference. You may be happy living in a place where you don't face the threat of starvation daily, but don't expect the billions without a choice in what they eat to follow you.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

They shall have to eat cake I suppose.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Hahahahahahahaaaaaa.

What are they supposed to eat then? The fact is that eliminating mechanized agriculture will lead to the deaths of several billion people at least. I'm willing to overlook fossil fuel chat as just a misunderstanding on your part, but if you think removing mechanized agriculture is a solution then you have no idea what you're talking about. The solution is to use mechanized agriculture powered by sustainable energy like wind, solar and nuclear.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 14, 2014

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

And replace them with...?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

It's nice when someone is just honest and finally says 'I want most of the world to starve to death' in these topics.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Yep, because the world can survive off of calorie-sparse vegetable matter. All this history of human civilization following grain cultivation is bogus maaaan. :smuggo:

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Haaha, look at you guys get your panties in a bunch. I said people will have to stop eating so many grains, but is this the same thing s me saying I want billions to die? No. In this post I will try to explain what I mean.

I know what it's like to live in the third world. I was born in the third world. I was a teen when I finally set foot in my father's country, the United States (it is quite a shock, let me tell you). Most of my birth country's arable land goes to the monoculture mass production of cacao and banana, which I don't agree with. People here can't grow wheat or other grains, so we don't eat much bread. Bread is expensive because and is a commodity. We have to import the grain because it does not grow here. Also, your precious wheat is basically turned into bleached four. Mills remove all the healthy stuff (the germ and such) and this flour is so un-nourishing that they have to pump the stuff that was removed to make it a nutritional food. It takes acres and acres of wheat to have a substantial harvest, and that is simply impossible where I live. You need farmers, mills, bakers, etc... Rice cultivation is a bit different, but it's very labor intensive and is also not nutritionally complete. These are loving facts.

I really wish we could continue living the way we do now. Please don't think that my belief that humans are relying too much on grain means that I want the human population to be decimated. I am aware that the poor and needy will suffer the most should our food system collapse, while the rich countries that caused it will coast through. Harvested, dry grains have advantages over other staple foods such as the starchy fruits (e.g., plantains, breadfruit) and roots/tubers (e.g., sweet potatoes, cassava, yams) in the ease of storage, handling, and transport. These qualities have allowed mechanical harvest, transport by rail or ship, long-term storage in grain silos, large-scale milling or pressing, and industrial agriculture, in general.

I don't think there is a way for us to continue modern agriculture. Too much of our grain goes to feed animals who then are fed to the fatties in the US. We have taken up too much land, and use too much fertilizer on depleted soils to make up for the fact that we have used up much of our good soil. I will say this again: I wish we could continue eating so much white bread and red meat, but we can't, so we have to switch to more fruits and veggies. There is still hope for farmers in the third world, we have to teach them to not follow modern farming methods, and instead rely on things like permaculture for their food needs. It is possible to feed 7 billion or more with a mix of farming methods, but the way we are doing things now is ridiculous.

quote:

Synthetic fertilizers have dramatically increased food production worldwide. But the unintended costs to the environment and human health have been substantial. Nitrogen runoff from farms has contaminated surface and groundwater and helped create massive “dead zones” in coastal areas, such as the Gulf of Mexico. And ammonia from fertilized cropland has become a major source of air pollution, while emissions of nitrous oxide form a potent greenhouse gas.

These and other negative environmental impacts have led some researchers and policymakers to call for reductions in the use of synthetic fertilizers. But in a report published in the June 19 issue of the journal Science, an international team of ecologists and agricultural experts warns against a “one-size-fits-all” approach to managing global food production.

“Most agricultural systems follow a trajectory from too little in the way of added nutrients to too much, and both extremes have substantial human and environmental costs,” said lead author Peter Vitousek, a professor of biology at Stanford University and senior fellow at Stanford’s Woods Institute for the Environment.

“Some parts of the world, including much of China, use far too much fertilizer,” Vitousek said. “But in sub-Saharan Africa, where 250 million people remain chronically malnourished, nitrogen, phosphorus and other nutrient inputs are inadequate to maintain soil fertility.”

e: jesus christ goons like their white bread :staredog:

white sauce fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 14, 2014

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Do you still not get why the 10:1 ratio thing is a total red herring, and that nobody at all, absolutely no one, is arguing that our current agricultural system is sustainable?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I really wish we could continue living the way we do now. Please don't think that my belief that humans are relying too much on grain means that I want the human population to be decimated. I am aware that the poor and needy will suffer the most should our food system collapse, while the rich countries that caused it will coast through. Harvested, dry grains have advantages over other staple foods such as the starchy fruits (e.g., plantains, breadfruit) and roots/tubers (e.g., sweet potatoes, cassava, yams) in the ease of storage, handling, and transport. These qualities have allowed mechanical harvest, transport by rail or ship, long-term storage in grain silos, large-scale milling or pressing, and industrial agriculture, in general.

Right all this is true but also doesn't address that 'we can ship it from the rich countries by rail' doesn't actually solve the problem, and instead creates a wonderful system where the poor nations become entirely dependent on the wealthy ones for a super basic part of the human diet. Like, this isn't 'lol goons bread lol', this is 'the human body needs poo poo like this, especially in the developing world'.

If we shift to some kinda personal vegetable farm only system what happens to, say, a single mother who has to work to keep her infant child provided for, do they get subsidies for their personal farm, do they share their neighbor's? This is some Great Leap Forward poo poo and you do know how that ended right?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Right all this is true but also doesn't address that 'we can ship it from the rich countries by rail' doesn't actually solve the problem, and instead creates a wonderful system where the poor nations become entirely dependent on the wealthy ones for a super basic part of the human diet. Like, this isn't 'lol goons bread lol', this is 'the human body needs poo poo like this, especially in the developing world'.

If we shift to some kinda personal vegetable farm only system what happens to, say, a single mother who has to work to keep her infant child provided for, do they get subsidies for their personal farm, do they share their neighbor's? This is some Great Leap Forward poo poo and you do know how that ended right?

Look, let's face facts here. Most of the environmental movement consists of privileged Whole Foods shoppers that always seem to forget that the third world exists.

I mean seriously, personal farming? Are you out of your mind? How does that even work in dense living areas? You know, areas where it's most ecologically sustainable for people to live?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Solkanar512 posted:

Look, let's face facts here. Most of the environmental movement consists of privileged Whole Foods shoppers that always seem to forget that the third world exists.

I mean seriously, personal farming? Are you out of your mind? How does that even work in dense living areas? You know, areas where it's most ecologically sustainable for people to live?

Yea I wasn't going to even get into how someone in the slums of India's urban areas is supposed to farm to feed their entire family.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

However living in a densely populated environment offends my natural sensitivities and it must be bad for nature because

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Solkanar512 posted:

Well now, let's think this through a little bit. Dense urban areas could very well still have farms--rooftop gardens for one, but even if that's impossible, you could fund hydroponics facilities or utilize basement storage space to grow things like cauliflower or root vegetables. Certainly it's not really viable presently, but the technology certainly exists to at least give it a go, doesn't it?

I mean, look at your typical apartment complex. There's usually a quad of some sort, or some open area that's on the grounds of the complex. If apartment complexes were given, say, incentives to provide viable soil for growing (or maybe even seeds to new tenants), then at the very least you'd get a smattering of apartments that offer and encourage their residents to grow their own vegetables. With the Internet as a resource, pretty much anyone can google how to grow any given vegetable and go to town.

It could be a start.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Well now, let's think this through a little bit. Dense urban areas could very well still have farms--rooftop gardens for one, but even if that's impossible, you could fund hydroponics facilities or utilize basement storage space to grow things like cauliflower or root vegetables. Certainly it's not really viable presently, but the technology certainly exists to at least give it a go, doesn't it?

I mean, look at your typical apartment complex. There's usually a quad of some sort, or some open area that's on the grounds of the complex. If apartment complexes were given, say, incentives to provide viable soil for growing (or maybe even seeds to new tenants), then at the very least you'd get a smattering of apartments that offer and encourage their residents to grow their own vegetables. With the Internet as a resource, pretty much anyone can google how to grow any given vegetable and go to town.

It could be a start.

You could never feed a significant percentage of a dense urban city with the acreage of the city, even if you made every square meter of rooftop and park into a garden. Farming takes lots of space. Moreover, cities are hotspots of air pollution. I am fully for greening up cities, and it can play a small part in feeding a city, but without some huge tech change--like cheap sustainable electricity, absolutely necessary for hydroponics--you're not going to be able to make much of a dent.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

It could be a start.

Feeding human beings is not an 'it's a start' situation. Rooftop gardens are fun hobbies but they can't feed an entire community in an apartment building.

Like, seriously the world has tried the whole 'no we can just make personal farm collectives guys, this will work' method, it was in The Great Leap Forward and China loving starved. We know what happens, the answer is atrocity.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Obdicut posted:

You could never feed a significant percentage of a dense urban city with the acreage of the city, even if you made every square meter of rooftop and park into a garden. Farming takes lots of space. Moreover, cities are hotspots of air pollution. I am fully for greening up cities, and it can play a small part in feeding a city, but without some huge tech change--like cheap sustainable electricity, absolutely necessary for hydroponics--you're not going to be able to make much of a dent.

Well, from what I can recall (I'm by no means an expert), most of Havana's consumption needs during the Special Period was covered by production in or near Havana itself. I'm not saying it's a dead-set cure-all for food production everywhere, but I think you're being rather cavalier in dismissing the potential of alternative agricultural models.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Obdicut posted:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Feeding human beings is not an 'it's a start' situation. Rooftop gardens are fun hobbies but they can't feed an entire community in an apartment building.

Like, seriously the world has tried the whole 'no we can just make personal farm collectives guys, this will work' method, it was in The Great Leap Forward and China loving starved. We know what happens, the answer is atrocity.

Oh. Well that's kind of gloomy. But I suppose I'm still thinking first-world in a sense--supplement supermarket shopping with home-grown foods. But the energy problem is something that can't be ignored. :/

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Yes, let's have basement hydroponics, that in no way is going to be more energy intensive or less sustainable than existing practices...

I live in a city and own a house there, meaning that the space:people ratio is as high as it can reasonably get. I have roughly 1000 sqft of outdoor space, counting my roof, some of which doesn't get much light due to surrounding buildings. The backyard garden is nice for bonus food, but it isn't going to feed 2 people. If I converted all of it to growing space, it still wouldn't feed me and my fiancée. That's pretty much a best case scenario for a city.

Personal agriculture won't work for a large number of people in the world.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

It could be a start.

One slight problem:

The density of the human population depends on the volumetric area, whereas the density of crops depends on the surface area. X^3 versus X^2. Sure have your rooftop garden, but that's just a toy or hobby not a serious source of food.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

V. Illych L. posted:

Well, from what I can recall (I'm by no means an expert), most of Havana's consumption needs during the Special Period was covered by production in or near Havana itself. I'm not saying it's a dead-set cure-all for food production everywhere, but I think you're being rather cavalier in dismissing the potential of alternative agricultural models.

During that period the government encouraged and paid for people to move from cities to small farms. It's not a good example. I'm not being in the least bit cavalier, it's just a matter of actual available acreage.

Here is an excellent study done by very pro-urban farming guys I respect:

http://www.urbandesignlab.columbia.edu/sitefiles/file/urban_agriculture_nyc.pdf

Their conclusion is that using all available vacant lots and absolutely best urban farming practices, in NYC you could feed about 174,000 people from urban farming: seriously a drop in the bucket. However, by focusing on crops which are specifically not land-intensive, crops that don't survive transport well, etc., you can increase the impact of urban farming. However, as I said, without extensive technological advancement (sustainable energy and sustainable water filtration), large-scale urban farming is not even possible.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Obdicut posted:

During that period the government encouraged and paid for people to move from cities to small farms. It's not a good example. I'm not being in the least bit cavalier, it's just a matter of actual available acreage.

Here is an excellent study done by very pro-urban farming guys I respect:

http://www.urbandesignlab.columbia.edu/sitefiles/file/urban_agriculture_nyc.pdf

Their conclusion is that using all available vacant lots and absolutely best urban farming practices, in NYC you could feed about 174,000 people from urban farming: seriously a drop in the bucket. However, by focusing on crops which are specifically not land-intensive, crops that don't survive transport well, etc., you can increase the impact of urban farming. However, as I said, without extensive technological advancement (sustainable energy and sustainable water filtration), large-scale urban farming is not even possible.

I'd like to advance the point that by the middle of the century (2050), the general census is that something like 70-80% of the Earth's population is going to be living in dense urban centers.

This is a problem that, one way or the other, will have to be addressed. I thought this was an interesting idea.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/05/21/185758529/vertical-pinkhouses-the-future-of-urban-farming

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm guessing it will be addressed by horizontal farming closer to city centers but outside the limits, probably in repurposed suburbs which people no longer can live in due to the energy dependence. I read the article but I have my doubts that the energy savings from being free from pests is going to ever make up for the energy costs of pumping water, and producing the light that would come free from the sun when growing outdoors. I imagine we could do something for certain crops that are particularly resilient in the face of low-light and low-water conditions but horizontal farming has a huge set of advantages.

Someone in this thread posted a thing which said transport costs are only like, 10-20% of the total energy cost of growing crops(citation needed for sure). So even if we eliminated those completely, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that the light from the sun provides a huge amount of energy that will need to be replaced in any vertical farming system.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Soil contaminantation is a major issue in urban farming and in suburban reclamation. Just because it's dirt, doesn't mean it's safe to grow food in.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Knockknees posted:

Soil contaminantation is a major issue in urban farming and in suburban reclamation. Just because it's dirt, doesn't mean it's safe to grow food in.

And bringing us back to the original topic of discussion...

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Science :science:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Knockknees posted:

It's also that frankly a lot of places aren't great for growing crops---soil quality is much more complicated than "add fertilizer*, since the actual soil type affects what you can grow. Then the local climate limits crop growing as well. Then there is the availability of water for irrigation. And so on...

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Jeffrey posted:

Someone in this thread posted a thing which said transport costs are only like, 10-20% of the total energy cost of growing crops(citation needed for sure). So even if we eliminated those completely, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that the light from the sun provides a huge amount of energy that will need to be replaced in any vertical farming system.

Well beyond not needing pesticides and herbicides hydro or aeroponics also consume less water and nutrients and are less susceptible to damage from environmental factors. Dwindling water resources are an issue and it can make traditional food production harder in a lot of places thus driving up the cost of food. The actual numbers are probably guess work so there's no point in speculating but I don't think it's completely unfeasible that it could be economically viable at some point in the distant future. Who knows what food, water, LEDs, electricity and the necesarry chemicals cost in 50 or 100 years. It's clearly not a solution right now but we're in a very tranformative period in terms of population and the resources we rely on.

One thing that might make it more feasible is GMOs. Maybe it's possible to engineer plants to grow at much faster rates. Presumably plants didn't evolve to consume nutrients and energy at unlimited, ideal rates since it wouldn't be available in the soil and they have to follow the day/night/seasonal cycles. There's a limit to how much fertilizer you can dump on a field because it'll just be washed away and mess up our rivers and coastal waters, there's only so much light and plants have to wither and die when winter comes. You don't have that limit in a closed, artifcial system. Maybe we can make plants that can be blasted with energy and harvested 8 times a year - or maybe there's just hard biological limits. I'm very much not talking about greening our cities with rooftop gardens - it's factory produced frankenfood but that might be the only thing that could eventually compete with traditional farming practices.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah this ends up being a huge problem for "permaculture" because actual permaculture relies on the food being consumed very close by to where it was grown to continue a cycle.

V. Illych L. posted:

With severe rationing (sometimes quite below known minimums for extended times), with large parts of Havana being vacant lots already due to deteriorated buildings being torn down, and with Havana and its metro area being around 2.6 million people with a few thousand acres of land total. And with Cuba having very very favorable growing conditions in general.

A city that doesn't have favorable year round growing conditions and doesn't already have a lot of vacant lots or crumbling buildings to clear to form them wouldn't be able to achieve even the quarter-rations Havana citizens often had to deal with between harvests in that time period.

Slanderer posted:

It's also that frankly a lot of places aren't great for growing crops---soil quality is much more complicated than "add fertilizer*, since the actual soil type affects what you can grow. Then the local climate limits crop growing as well. Then there is the availability of water for irrigation. And so on...

Not to mention that we really do want to reduce fertilizer usage where possible just for economy's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Slanderer posted:

This also is why it's often better from an environmental standpoint to focus on growing crops in their optimal zones, wherever those are, than to focus on "local" agriculture. From the numbers I've seen, the gains in production from growing the right crop in the right place can reduce resource requirements more than enough to offset the increased transportation requirements.

• Locked thread