Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
When a guy in the UK gave out my personal e-mail address (not related to a real name at all) for his cell phone account, his bill unexpectedly jumped by several hundred pounds a month, and mysteriously keeps jumping back up every time he corrects it.

At this point it's turned into a game that's been ongoing since last November, I'm wondering when the penny is going to drop for this dumb son of a bitch.

Also, I have had a 100% better success rate at getting Apple IDs out of people when you call it "your app store username and password." They have no idea what an Apple ID is, but they usually know the info they have to put in to download Angry Birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

mllaneza posted:

In the time it took you to come over to my desk and have a snit fit because Outlook wasn't responding, and then walk back, Outlook started responding again. You just wasted time to come aggravate me.
A ticket came in: High Importasnce

quote:

MY OUTLOOK SAYS SYNCH ERROR FAILED TO DELETE!!?

Ursine Asylum posted:

On a daily basis, how frequently do you need to put in your Apple ID? Because I don't know about you, but I don't think it's asked me for mine since literally the day I set up the phone. The only reason I know it is because, as noted, it's my primary personal email address.
I never use mine since my last iPod died from water seepage while bike riding. I got a couple of weird charges to my credit card a couple/few years ago and they were audiobook purchases on iTunes (loving expensive! Just subscribe to audible! :aaa: ) and when I called apple support it turned out that I had not logged in to my iTunes profile in over 5 years from that day I called. I had them close it entirely and have yet to miss out.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 14, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
One of our technophobe managers called this morning because his laptop was booting to "can't find the hard drive!" and he was freaking out.

I had him reboot, got the error again and was discussing options since he's in San Francisco and I'm in L.A. That's when he decided to tell me the truth: he dropped the laptop. He claimed it was a very minor drop, onto an ottoman and from there onto a carpeted floor. Very minor!

Except that it was hard enough that the Latitude puked out its modular hard drive. So... not that minor. He's shipping it to me so I can determine just how screwed up it is.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

When a guy in the UK gave out my personal e-mail address (not related to a real name at all) for his cell phone account, his bill unexpectedly jumped by several hundred pounds a month, and mysteriously keeps jumping back up every time he corrects it.

At this point it's turned into a game that's been ongoing since last November, I'm wondering when the penny is going to drop for this dumb son of a bitch.

You put his bill up every month as punishment for an email address mistake? Even the PST-frustrated CJs don't get a users head for the user's crimes?

Also, how?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

One of our technophobe managers called this morning because his laptop was booting to "can't find the hard drive!" and he was freaking out.

I had something similar happen once. Got a call from a user about her laptop not booting and went up to look at it. Sure enough the drive didn't show up in bios or anything. Went to open up the laptop to get the drive and see if I could recover anything and there was no drive. The little tiny piece of plastic that holds the drive in on that model of Lenovo was broken off and there was no drive in the laptop. I told her that the hard drive in her laptop was physically missing and must have fallen out somehow. She said it was working fine the night before but wouldn't boot up that morning when she got to work. I asked her if she brought it in in a bag or if she just carried it and a minute later after digging through the bag she pulled out the drive.

Slapped it in and everything was good. Or rather everything was good a week later after the bit of plastic I got off amazon for $3 was installed. Still not totally sure how that thing broke. The laptop didn't look like it had been dropped at any point and that door wasn't really in a position to get stressed much.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

I'd be interested to know, how has working in support situations effected how you interface with support when you need it?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I'd be interested to know, how has working in support situations effected how you interface with support when you need it?

I wait eagerly for the moment they realize I know my stuff and suddenly stop asking me basic questions I summed up in my initial statement. Even if you identify as a tech it usually takes a few minutes till they go like "Oh you work in the field?" and suddenly do exactly what you told them. Then again I really only deal with our office IT and my ISP.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
^ that, I will push back against a script that has nothing to do with the actual problem but a tech with a clue gets substantially more trust.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I know exactly what I need to say to get exactly the parts I want replaced, and I know how to cut through bullshit troubleshooting.

Hint: Whatever you want replaced, say that you swapped it with a good one, and it worked, and the broken one didn't work on the computer you swapped it with (such as harddrives, video cards, etc.)

When they ask you to try to do a thing to troubleshoot, say "I already did that, and it didn't work"

Always say "It doesn't work in BIOS either, and it doesn't work when I boot from a Linux live CD"

External things always work when something on a laptop is broken (display, keyboard etc).

Basically, if you have a part of something that you want replaced, leave no doubt in the support monkeys mind about how and why it is broken, even if you yourself just suspect it might be broken. The techs that come out to fix it are glorified mechanics, they are just there to replace the thing, and doesn't care about diagnosis as long as poo poo works when they are done wrenching.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Javid posted:

^ that, I will push back against a script that has nothing to do with the actual problem but a tech with a clue gets substantially more trust.

Honestly, even if they're clueless, if they're nice and are willing to admit they have to go through the script it instantly makes it easier to tolerate.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

evobatman posted:

I know exactly what I need to say to get exactly the parts I want replaced, and I know how to cut through bullshit troubleshooting.

Hint: Whatever you want replaced, say that you swapped it with a good one, and it worked, and the broken one didn't work on the computer you swapped it with (such as harddrives, video cards, etc.)

When they ask you to try to do a thing to troubleshoot, say "I already did that, and it didn't work"

Always say "It doesn't work in BIOS either, and it doesn't work when I boot from a Linux live CD"

External things always work when something on a laptop is broken (display, keyboard etc).

Basically, if you have a part of something that you want replaced, leave no doubt in the support monkeys mind about how and why it is broken, even if you yourself just suspect it might be broken. The techs that come out to fix it are glorified mechanics, they are just there to replace the thing, and doesn't care about diagnosis as long as poo poo works when they are done wrenching.

This and a Dell chat window means it takes no longer than 5 minutes to get a service/replacement part confirmed for next-day delivery, and I can get other stuff done at the same time.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
One thing that helps with HP, Dell etc troubleshoot monkeys is to report that you've updated the BIOS. It's like a magic keyphrase that gets you past all the steps and straight to hardware replacement.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Javid posted:

See, I assume that if they don't follow the script they are getting knocked points or some stupid poo poo. Not in IT but in our customer call going off script for any reason can get you fired. No matter who the customer is or if they are happy at the end of the call and their issue is resolved. I have become really sympathetic to that and just have everything prepared so the script can be done as fast as possible.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Have I mentioned how much I hate users that decide to upgrade software on their own without notifying us or asking for help? Because I really, really loathe those morons.

I have a user with a client who decided she wanted to upgrade from Office 2010 to 2013. Something got messed up with the install (she wouldn't tell us exactly what) and both versions of the Office suite on her laptop wouldn't work. File associations were broken, none of the applications would open correctly (some not at all), and it caused problems with integration in Quickbooks.

I worked on it for a couple hours easily - the normal uninstall procedures wouldn't work at all, Microsoft's "fix it" automatic tools didn't work, so I had to manually comb through the laptop to uninstall each Office 2010/2013 component separately, remove leftover installation directories for both versions, then go through the registry and blow away anything referencing them before rebooting and doing a clean install. All in all, at least a good 3 hours worth of time wasted on what would have been a simple upgrade, had this person consulted us beforehand to make sure everything was done correctly.

Have I mentioned how much she bitched and moaned about lost productivity and having to use someone else's computer while I was fixing hers? Or, how there's a good chance Quickbooks could be incompatible with Office 2013 for some of the functions she wants? Or how much I want to verbally rip her a new rear end in a top hat and just reformat her laptop out of spite, then lock her account down to the point that she has no choice but to contact us before doing some stupid bullshit again?

:smithicide:

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013
All of that could've been avoided with a good Group Policy. I wouldn't be able to manage squat if I let my users install or update anything on their own.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I am extremely cheerful, helpful, and fast-paced. I have all the pertinent info ready before I call and I rattle off all the proof of ID that's necessary when it's going to be needed.

Once someone falls back to their response binder after I've already laid out what I want and why in simple terms, I get curt.

Then if they still bug me by being dense/uncooperative/dumb, I hang up and call back to get another representative.

I am an utter bastard to popup chat support though, they're a loving scourge and almost invariably unable to do anything that you need. Yesterday I wasted 30 minutes trying to get some basic info from AT&T about international plans and when I finally got what I needed from the (second, the first one got disconnected due to lovely AT&T website) the motherfucker told me "Okay now I will guide you through the steps to perform this action on the premier web site." Like, why the gently caress did you even need to confirm who I am if all you are is an egregiously slow, glorified help manual for an unusable website?

AT&T's been terrible but they recently got worse - now when you call their business support line, they have a SUPER slow voice going through the options, and the first 3 options on most pages are regarding help using their unusable website - the only worse website I've found is IBM's monstrosity (my previous boss skipped out on two versions of SPSS we'd paid tens of thousands for, because he couldn't figure out how to get through their website to procure our license info and download the installers.)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 14, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

coyo7e posted:

AT&T's been terrible but they recently got worse - now when you call their business support line, they have a SUPER slow voice going through the options, and the first 3 options on most pages are regarding help using their unusable website -

I have a limited tolerance for phone trees, and when one annoys me sufficiently, I turn into "WHAT IS PHONE I DON'T EVEN" customer. I just start saying Agent or Operator or Representative, and if that doesn't do anything I start pressing multiple buttons on the keypad at once. It usually gets me to a real person.

From there the rest of the fun begins, of course, but it tends to save time, especially when the live person invariably repeats all the poo poo the automated phone system just guided you through.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

coyo7e posted:

I am an utter bastard to popup chat support though, they're a loving scourge and almost invariably unable to do anything that you need.

Hmm.. Chat is my preferred option. Majority of the time, I click on Chat and it says I have a couple of people ahead of me. I go ahead and start typing up what the problem is, the troubleshooting steps I've done, any relevant error codes etc. After they connect, I just hit enter and they already have all of the info they need. Usually, that's enough and they get me what I need. If they insist upon going through the script, I usually pull up another tab and watch something or read the forums for a bit and tell them that the step didn't work.
Much better than having to sit through call trees where every choice you make, you often have to hear them repeat the same lines as before. Usually something along he lines of "The options have recently changed, please listen to the options and select the best option. This call may be monitored for training purposes. Your satisfaction is important to us. blah blah blah."

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Chat support, in my experience, is universally better, I've never used chat for any home related stuff, but Dell's chat support was top notch awesome, took like 5-10minutes the people are cool and didn't fuss too much about shipping things without harassing me about a bunch of dumb troubleshooting.

The only reason I hated moving from Dell to Lenovo was that I had to call in all support requests instead of having a chat option, but at least the support center was in America, sure it was Alabama, I believe, and I could sitll hardly understand them sometimes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've used chat for Amazon, Newegg and Monoprice and they've always gotten poo poo done faster than phone. Maybe I'm just lucky though.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

MF_James posted:

Chat support, in my experience, is universally better, I've never used chat for any home related stuff, but Dell's chat support was top notch awesome, took like 5-10minutes the people are cool and didn't fuss too much about shipping things without harassing me about a bunch of dumb troubleshooting.

The only reason I hated moving from Dell to Lenovo was that I had to call in all support requests instead of having a chat option, but at least the support center was in America, sure it was Alabama, I believe, and I could sitll hardly understand them sometimes.

I spent almost two hours with Trend Micro's support a couple weeks ago, and the only thing they managed to get done in that time is trick me into patching a virtual appliance which made it never work again.

Whooo

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

evobatman posted:

Being a former chat agent, I always find it funny when people did this. If lying about troubleshooting to get a part only for it to not resolve your issue: well, it's your fault. I can't count the number of times that has happened. I remember when someone said it failed their "internal motherboard diagnostics" and when I asked what test within it failed exactly he get POed. We sent a system board because he complained enough. Guess what happened after we replaced the board? Nothing; they had the same issue.

Content:
I am a call-center IT and I got a ticket: the second power supply is showing as having gone down. He is remote from the site by several states. I asked if someone onsite could look to make sure the power cord was plugged in properly and the light on it. He tells me only that the power supply has no light on it. So I send a power supply. Onsite tech gets on site: the power supply was unplugged the whole time. :psyduck:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Che Delilas posted:

I have a limited tolerance for phone trees, and when one annoys me sufficiently, I turn into "WHAT IS PHONE I DON'T EVEN" customer. I just start saying Agent or Operator or Representative, and if that doesn't do anything I start pressing multiple buttons on the keypad at once. It usually gets me to a real person.

From there the rest of the fun begins, of course, but it tends to save time, especially when the live person invariably repeats all the poo poo the automated phone system just guided you through.

A lot of IVRs are coded to recognize swear words, and will generally direct you to a rep as soon as you start swearing at the thing. Doesn't work for all of them, but I've had good luck just yelling "gently caress you you piece of poo poo get me a loving rep right loving now gently caress" or something similar into the phone, and even if it doesn't work with that particular IVR, you still feel a lot better.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
When I got computers from Dell through my former employer's employee discount I was unable to use the chat help. I always had to call to get any help. Was very annoying.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'm currently adding a scrolling text banner on our website home page because the CEO wants it. I know it's a story that's been told time and time again but it's always hilarious to me how a website will go from nice, clean, and modern-looking at creation to a complete mess two years later.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

wa27 posted:

I'm currently adding a scrolling text banner on our website home page because the CEO wants it. I know it's a story that's been told time and time again but it's always hilarious to me how a website will go from nice, clean, and modern-looking at creation to a complete mess two years later.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I wish I can send that to our marketing department.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

The expected wait time for an agent is: one hundred and seventeen minutes

:suicide:

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
Why do I have so many users that toggle caps lock for one capitalized letter instead of using the shift key? The first time I saw it I was bemused, and I've encountered at least 5 more people who do it. wtfff is there something in the water here?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

ZetsurinPower posted:

Why do I have so many users that toggle caps lock for one capitalized letter instead of using the shift key? The first time I saw it I was bemused, and I've encountered at least 5 more people who do it. wtfff is there something in the water here?

I do that and it's mostly just a consequence of never having learned to type properly. Force of habit and such.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

wa27 posted:

http://shouldiuseacarousel.com

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
Haven't posted in awhile, been busy with going back to school and getting married.

Had to share this though. We finally ran into CryptoLocker at work.

So a client calls in... They were working with one of the other techs on my team friday. The client needed to convert a PDF into a JPG for whatever reason. For whatever reason, my co-worker gets on their machine via screen-sharing, takes control, downloads a program for them, and installs it.

The client called back in today because the install was infected with CryptoLocker. And now their entire network, all workstations and servers apparently, are locked down.

I sent this one straight on to their account rep, this is way above my authority. What a mess though.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I do that and it's mostly just a consequence of never having learned to type properly. Force of habit and such.

Someone I know can type at about 130 wpm like that. On a laptop keyboard. :psyduck:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Finagle posted:

Haven't posted in awhile, been busy with going back to school and getting married.

So a client calls in... They were working with one of the other techs on my team friday. The client needed to convert a PDF into a JPG for whatever reason. For whatever reason, my co-worker gets on their machine via screen-sharing, takes control, downloads a program for them, and installs it.

The client called back in today because the install was infected with CryptoLocker. And now their entire network, all workstations and servers apparently, are locked down.

I sent this one straight on to their account rep, this is way above my authority. What a mess though.

Time to pay up if they don't have backups.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Westie posted:

Someone I know can type at about 130 wpm like that. On a laptop keyboard. :psyduck:

I can manage around 120WPM typing like that. Fast fingers know no typing style.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

http://www.makemylogobiggercream.com/

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
I'm glad to see that the general rule of "If a headline asks a question, the answer is always 'no'" goes for websites whose URLs ask questions, too.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I can manage around 120WPM typing like that. Fast fingers know no typing style.

I too can't type properly. I've tried a few times to retrain myself but it's a hard habit to shake. I don't ever use the CAPS key though, I will hold shift if I need something all in caps because caps lock is the devil. I usually disable the key entirely because I hit it accidentally while gaming all the time.

I only use my index fingers and thumbs while typing. Occasionally I throw in a random other finger to assist. Despite this I can still type at 80wpm and don't need to look at the keyboard at all while typing (except if I am stuck with one of those ergo keyboard with the split, those gently caress me up). I get comments about it all the time.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

I love how the oatmeal's website looks like the bad version of the site in the comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Finagle posted:

Doesn't basically every PDF viewer have a "Save as" or "Export to" option to stick it in an image format? Why would you want to download another PDF-fuckery program to do that? :psyduck:

• Locked thread