Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Planning on it! I learned that from the OP of this thread actually, but I probably would have found out once I finished the trilogy, I know I'll be desperate to read more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Also the narrator changes for US customers when you purchase the stand alone books. Michael Page does the US versions but Steven Pacey still does the UK versions. Michael Page does a good job and is actually one of my favorite narrators but I preferred the Pacey versions since he read the first 3.

Edit to adhere to forum rules.

Clinton1011 fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 2, 2013

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Just a heads up that Red Country was released as a trade paper this week in the US. I'm tempted to buy it so that it matches my collection. It's the only one in the series that I own in cloth. I wish I had the scratch to buy all six books in cloth. I will someday, but right now owning all six as trade paper and all six as ebooks is enough.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

You might not want to admit that.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Is it against the rules to admit you have downloaded torrents? I know it is to say where you downloaded them and to link torrents directly but I wasn't aware of saying you have is against the rules.

Also I wouldn't of had to if they just let me purchase the books in the US.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 648 days!)

Clinton1011 posted:

Is it against the rules to admit you have downloaded torrents? I know it is to say where you downloaded them and to link torrents directly but I wasn't aware of saying you have is against the rules.

Probably best to err on the side of at least pretending you purchased it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Beastie posted:

Just a heads up that Red Country was released as a trade paper this week in the US. I'm tempted to buy it so that it matches my collection. It's the only one in the series that I own in cloth. I wish I had the scratch to buy all six books in cloth. I will someday, but right now owning all six as trade paper and all six as ebooks is enough.

I don't think there was a US hardcover edition of the trilogy, except for the limited editions and maybe SFBC editions.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

Probably best to err on the side of at least pretending you purchased it.

This. In the past it's been a whole thing, hence the smiley, now it's sort of unwritten rule.

I do love me some Steve Pacey though. I bet you could buy digital copies through some website.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Double posting to say I'm actually listening to the less awesome BSC right now and it's amazing all the little things they hint at in advance.

Also, amazon.co.uk is letting me get as far as asking me for CC info, so you can probably buy the digital Pacey versions there.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I can't imagine anyone but Steven Pacey reading The First Law and I can't imagine anyone but Michael Page reading Gentleman Bastards. Its unfortunate that publishing issues caused them to switch narrators.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 2, 2013

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Clinton1011 posted:

The Forum Rules posted:

Don't post links, ask for links to download, or otherwise discuss illegal copies of copyrighted works, including movies, books, software, etc.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
^^^ Thanks, I reread the rules when I made that post and still somehow missed that clear answer to my question.

On the topic of the books, I decided it was time for a re-listen after this recent talk of the audiobooks. It always amazes me how Abercrombie can make you care so much for these characters, I just got past a few chapters with West and the ambivalence brings suck a bitter sweat feeling to reading these books. That goes for most characters, you cant help but like these characters who are morally flawed or just plain unempathetic due to the way Abercrombie writes. Then you also have characters like Logen who try so hard to be good but end up doing things that could be called pure evil.

I feel I might have done an injustice to a friend of mine. He had never read any fantasy books or listened to any audibooks before. I had him start with the Steven Pacey's versions of of Joe's books and now he can't find any other Fantasy books he actually likes.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Clinton1011 posted:

^^^ Thanks, I reread the rules when I made that post and still somehow missed that clear answer to my question.

On the topic of the books, I decided it was time for a re-listen after this recent talk of the audiobooks. It always amazes me how Abercrombie can make you care so much for these characters, I just got past a few chapters with West and the ambivalence brings suck a bitter sweat feeling to reading these books. That goes for most characters, you cant help but like these characters who are morally flawed or just plain unempathetic due to the way Abercrombie writes. Then you also have characters like Logen who try so hard to be good but end up doing things that could be called pure evil.

I feel I might have done an injustice to a friend of mine. He had never read any fantasy books or listened to any audibooks before. I had him start with the Steven Pacey's versions of of Joe's books and now he can't find any other Fantasy books he actually likes.

Roy Dotrice reading Game of Thrones is one of my other favorites. He slips a bit in the later books but I like his reading of the first couple.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I've slowly been making my way through the series, finally almost done with Red Country.

About 3/4ths of the way through. I really liked Cosca until this book. I guess it was about time I was made to absolutely loathe him.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
I feel like his lifestyle finally got to him by that book. He'd been living as a mercenary captain for too long. It has been a while since I read these books, but I think Cosca genuinely wanted to settle down and rule his city. He wasn't really happy being a mercenary leader. I think in the end it really got to him and he went downhill. Not to mention the damage that being an alcoholic for decades can do to people's body and psyche.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
TOR posted the entire short story Abercrombie wrote for the anthology Dangerous Women, Some Desperado. It features Shy South from Red Country before the events of the book.

http://www.tor.com/stories/2013/11/some-desperado-joe-abercrombie

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

TOR posted the entire short story Abercrombie wrote for the anthology Dangerous Women, Some Desperado. It features Shy South from Red Country before the events of the book.

http://www.tor.com/stories/2013/11/some-desperado-joe-abercrombie

Cool, thanks for the link. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I really want to read the short stories about Craw and Gorst that are only in a Compilation/special printing of the Heroes.

vvvvvv I didn't know that one, I know there is a Cosca one for Red Country as well.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 4, 2013

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

And there's a similar short about Logen in one of TFL's printings, I think.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

packsmack posted:

I feel like his lifestyle finally got to him by that book. He'd been living as a mercenary captain for too long. It has been a while since I read these books, but I think Cosca genuinely wanted to settle down and rule his city. He wasn't really happy being a mercenary leader. I think in the end it really got to him and he went downhill. Not to mention the damage that being an alcoholic for decades can do to people's body and psyche.

A drink, a drink, a drink...

BSC has a lot of addiction in it. Maybe trying to analogize it to her need for revenge, even though it's bad and she's mostly numb to it she needs to do it, has to do it.

The only downside to listening is the first time through some of the littler twists dealing with identity Cosca living for one are completely ruined by using the voice.

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011

Jeffrey posted:

Cool, thanks for the link. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I really want to read the short stories about Craw and Gorst that are only in a Compilation/special printing of the Heroes.

vvvvvv I didn't know that one, I know there is a Cosca one for Red Country as well.

I have the hardcover edition of The Heroes with the Gorst short. It's good but slight, it's about a northern raid on a Union supply party that Gorst happens to be a part of when he is on his way to Osrung. It's mentioned at the beggining of the actual book that Gorst got involved in some heroics before the battle, and this is basically the story of what happenned. It could have easily been the first Gorst chapter in The Heroes, and it's a fine short, but it is not essential in any way.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Hey just posting here to mention that The Heroes is $1.99 in the Kindle Store. Good bargain for anyone who hasn't got it yet.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Progress report straight from the source:

http://www.joeabercrombie.com/2013/12/02/progress-report-december-13/

TL;DR – First installment of new YA trilogy coming in July '14, rest to be published six months apart (if everything goes OK). Also on the way later on: A collection of short stories and a whole new trilogy set in the First Law world :woop:

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I just finished reading through all of Joe Abercrombie's books in succession and it was a lot of fun. I like how he subverts the obvious tropes just enough that it always keeps you guessing how things will turn out. There was only one thing that became entirely predictable Logen will come through any fight you care to throw at him.

I do actually have a soft spot for the Bloody Nine. His story arc in Red Country was really good. While you don't get to experience it yourself as a reader you do find out that Logen spent 8 or so years living as a good man with Shy and her kids. That was a real honest attempt to deny his dark side. His return from being Lamb to the Bloody Nine was pretty awesome too. I especially loved the line where he admits he felt joy when he saw what happened to Shy's farm because he knew what he must do in response. It was cool to see the books not shying away from Logens true nature despite his status as a major protagonist.

The last chapter of Red Country was particularly satisfying. It felt like the perfect conclusion to something you knew was brewing from very near the start of the book.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
At the bookstore yesterday, noticed a new hardcover collection of short stories titled "Dangerous Women" or something similar, edited by Gardner Dozois and George R R Martin. The first story was by Abercrombie and it features an earlier escapade from Shy's life. Just a little something for all you completists (there's also a story about a royal succession conflict from 200 years before Game of Thrones by GRRM, if that's your thing).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

His next book is up for preorder. I may skip this one; I'm not really a fan of YA.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

At the bookstore yesterday, noticed a new hardcover collection of short stories titled "Dangerous Women" or something similar, edited by Gardner Dozois and George R R Martin. The first story was by Abercrombie and it features an earlier escapade from Shy's life. Just a little something for all you completists (there's also a story about a royal succession conflict from 200 years before Game of Thrones by GRRM, if that's your thing).

You can read it here. It is pretty good.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

Ornamented Death posted:

His next book is up for preorder. I may skip this one; I'm not really a fan of YA.
I'm not a YA fan either but I may still check it out. Obviously I want nothing more than to be back in the First Law world, but that's obviously going to be at least three years, if not more. I have stuff to keep me occupied until then but I will still want my Abercrombie fix. I'm sure I will still buy and read the entire trilogy. Might as well.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I'm not a fan of YA either, but then again, I am also not a fan of fantasy. Joe Abrecrombie made a genre I don't like at all readable once, I don't see any reason why he can't do it again.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

FMguru posted:

Bought this for my wife for Christmas. Hope she likes it.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
YA isn't my thing but Abercrombie could turn poo poo to gold so I might pre-order it. It will be interesting seeing him writing outside of The Circle of the World, at least.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
The first chapter of Half a King is up on io9:

http://io9.com/an-exclusive-first-look-at-joe-abercrombies-next-novel-1498463757

Too short for any real judgments but I would definitely keep reading.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
As an avid fantasy fan, Abercrombie is far and away my favorite author. When he said he was going to set aside the series I love so much to work on a trilogy of YA novels I was greatly disappointed.

After reading that piss ant of a chapter I'm excited all over again.

edit: Also has anyone else noticed this trilogy makes 8 out of 9 Joe Abercrombie books where the main character is defined or repeatedly hindered by a crippled hand... I wonder if it's been pointed out to him.

Suxpool fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 11, 2014

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
Yep, I'd keep reading. And wow, elves in a Joe Abercrombie book.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Suxpool posted:

As an avid fantasy fan, Abercrombie is far and away my favorite author. When he said he was going to set aside the series I love so much to work on a trilogy of YA novels I was greatly disappointed.

After reading that piss ant of a chapter I'm excited all over again.

edit: Also has anyone else noticed this trilogy makes 8 out of 9 Joe Abercrombie books where the main character is defined or repeatedly hindered by a crippled hand... I wonder if it's been pointed out to him.

He seems pretty big on missing/crippled body parts in general. Glokta, Logen, Monza, and Shivers. Jezal got his nose bashed in overseas as well but that's not as permanent.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

I've been a fan of Abercrombie's since the trilogy finished and it makes me sad how long it took me to finally pick up Red Country. But here I am, and drat I am really enjoying it. I can't wait to finish it up and crawl back through the last year or so of this thread. I can also safely say that I'm enjoying this a bit more than The Heroes... which I liked, but didn't love.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Red Country is easily my favorite of the lot. Then again, I grew up with spaghetti westerns and Louis Lamour. I'm much more comfortable with fantasy wild west than fantasy England.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Red Country is probably the best book Abercrombie's written so far. Honestly it's going to be hard to top.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Really? I thought Red Country was his weakest and The Heroes was his best book.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Really? I thought Red Country was his weakest and The Heroes was his best book.

If Red Country gets a superlative, it's as Abercrombie's most divisive work so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

My favorite was Best Served Cold. I liked the Heroes and didn't enjoy Red Country because my favorite character acted like a shithead the entire book.