Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Hammer Floyd posted:

You're an rear end in a top hat and I don't like you.
That's ok, I can't hear your dislike over the ringing in my ears.

HollisBrown posted:

Why don't I know what amp that is?
It's got a SUPER Lead tone on the Overdrive channel. 100 Watts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Agreed posted:

Take it slo, you'll figure it out.

iostream.h posted:

It's got a SUPER Lead tone on the Overdrive channel. 100 Watts.

I've literally played only Black Face Fenders for the last decade. I don't poo poo about your guys cookie monster, angry music.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

HollisBrown posted:

I've literally played only Black Face Fenders for the last decade. I don't poo poo about your guys cookie monster, angry music.

You're not dead to me, but you're not 100% alive either. You're... something in between. Like in Chronicles of Riddick. You remember that movie? It was pretty good. But filled with holes.

much like your heart

It's a fukken soldano man he got a soldano they're very nice!

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Agreed posted:

You're not dead to me, but you're not 100% alive either. You're... something in between. Like in Chronicles of Riddick. You remember that movie? It was pretty good. But filled with holes.

much like your heart

It's a fukken soldano man he got a soldano they're very nice!

Pitch Black was so much better. I do know Soldanos but not well enough to recognize 2 knobs on them.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

HollisBrown posted:

Warren Haynes doesn't do angry cookie monster music. :colbert:

I fully intend to, however.

Edit: ^^^^ It's all good bro, I just wanted to see if anyone would recognize it, I'm still so stoked about it it's ridiculous. I'm easily as excited, if not more than I was the day I got my Jubilee back!

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
A Rivera is my version.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

HollisBrown posted:

A Rivera is my version.

Really?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
They sound really nice

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

iostream.h posted:

Warren Haynes doesn't do angry cookie monster music. :colbert:

I fully intend to, however.

Edit: ^^^^ It's all good bro, I just wanted to see if anyone would recognize it, I'm still so stoked about it it's ridiculous. I'm easily as excited, if not more than I was the day I got my Jubilee back!

Warren Haynes' Soldano sound is one of my favourite tones.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

HollisBrown posted:

They sound really nice
Want one with a matching 4x12?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

iostream.h posted:

Want one with a matching 4x12?

Not even remotely, the biggest amp I'm interested in anymore is a 1x12 combo. A Rivera Venus is my dream amp.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
SOLDANNOOOOOO!!!!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
It seems to go to 11. I've never actually seen that before.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Warcabbit posted:

It seems to go to 11. I've never actually seen that before.
Oh, it does.
It DOES.

I never realized the power cables were affixed to these before, I was all tugging on it to unplug it and load it up and it wouldn't come out, then I looked, huh.

I need a better attenuator for the studio, probably live too, that's for damned sure.
It's way, WAY louder than the Jubilee and makes the Rockerverb sound almost anemic.

Edit: And I swear, when I called earlier today to verify mods/build date and all, the guy I spoke to at Soldano was as excited as I was. Dude talked amps with me for a full 15 minutes, just rambling about playing and gigging, it was a great conversation.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 15, 2014

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I haven't posted a picture of anything for a while, so here's something tangible that I bought today:

That Soldano is dope. The Avenger through an Orange 4x12 is one of the best guitar sounds I've personally heard.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

I got a new toy for making robot farts on my sofa!

RobattoJesus fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 15, 2014

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Traded my too heavy Agile 7string for a slightly upgraded PRS SE. Came with locking tuners and JB Seymour Duncan in the bridge. Much happier than with the Agile.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

iostream.h posted:

Oh, it does.
It DOES.

I never realized the power cables were affixed to these before, I was all tugging on it to unplug it and load it up and it wouldn't come out, then I looked, huh.

I need a better attenuator for the studio, probably live too, that's for damned sure.
It's way, WAY louder than the Jubilee and makes the Rockerverb sound almost anemic.

Edit: And I swear, when I called earlier today to verify mods/build date and all, the guy I spoke to at Soldano was as excited as I was. Dude talked amps with me for a full 15 minutes, just rambling about playing and gigging, it was a great conversation.

gently caress. You.

Here I am sitting with two testicles, but no SLO100. After seeing those pictures, I'm questioning whether or not I need BOTH testicles.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Hammer Floyd posted:

gently caress. You.

Here I am sitting with two testicles, but no SLO100. After seeing those pictures, I'm questioning whether or not I need BOTH testicles.

Unless you're in it for bragging rights the Jet City is almost part for part the same thing. Keep your nuts, never post a pic, and people will never know that you both still have balls and also don't own a real Soldano.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Agreed posted:

Unless you're in it for bragging rights the Jet City is almost part for part the same thing. Keep your nuts, never post a pic, and people will never know that you both still have balls and also don't own a real Soldano.
Yup, that's pretty much it, kind of like the Thunder series from Orange, mostly the same thing as their British made stuff, just a little different in the build process mostly.

Between my Rockerverb, pedals and 11R, I could get pretty damned close to nailing most SLO sounds, but I've wanted one for a long time and happened to be in the right spot at the right time with someone that I've always been straight with and they gave me a good deal on it.

HOWEVER, I do just want to point out that the SLO goes to 11.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

poo poo I hope that didn't come off as "oh, and also, lol that doofus bought an actual Soldano in a time where you can get a Jet City licensed clone for a lot cheaper!" - SLO100s unquestionably rule. Ushered in the modern high gain sound as such, and man are they pretty too :3:

Use good tubes. Use the best tubes. Also, do you have a boost for it? You should get a boost for it. Treble boost + Soldano with lotsa gain = holy poo poo tight tight tight high gain tone. Way tighter than a Recto, kind of like a Mk III but heavier. Not like a Mk IV. Unique sound. Very cool tone stack on them, badass mids. "Chewy."

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Agreed posted:

poo poo I hope that didn't come off as "oh, and also, lol that doofus bought an actual Soldano in a time where you can get a Jet City licensed clone for a lot cheaper!" - SLO100s unquestionably rule. Ushered in the modern high gain sound as such, and man are they pretty too :3:
No man, it's all good. :) I'll freely admit that sometimes the fun of getting something is getting what you WANT, rather than what you need or what would suffice. I've wanted a SLO for a long time and just haven't found a good enough deal that I could afford or found one available when I COULD snag one. The stars aligned yesterday for some reason.

Agreed posted:

Use good tubes. Use the best tubes. Also, do you have a boost for it? You should get a boost for it. Treble boost + Soldano with lotsa gain = holy poo poo tight tight tight high gain tone. Way tighter than a Recto, kind of like a Mk III but heavier. Not like a Mk IV. Unique sound. Very cool tone stack on them, badass mids. "Chewy."
It's supposedly been re-tubed recently, I'm going to pull it apart and take a look, and Soldano doesn't charge but like $40 for an inspection (plus I get the warranty) so I'll probably do that soon.

I don't have a proper treble boost, I've been using an EP Boost for a while, which I dig, but today I've been pulling out every OD/Boost/Dirt pedal I can find, TS, Rat, DOD, it's been kind of noisy today so far!

One of the most fun pedals I've played with is an old custom chorus I had a friend build, it has 2 gain controls and turning down the chorus but jacking the gain up has proved interesting so far. Chewy is a really good word to describe it too, it's weird and definitely has character and is NOT an amp you just go 'meh hit it all to 5 and I'll dial it in quickly from there' nope not at all.

Loves P90s tho'. P90s through the SLO are an evil, wicked thing.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Oh this is cool, you can't get this on the web site yet because I helped Vinni come up with a new V-Pick and I get to try it out first. After owning like all the V-Picks (all of them), I guess it makes sense that eventually I would have an idea for one that met the criteria for actually making a good pick :)

I'll let Vinni explain all details when he gets the page up for it, but, yeah, I totally have a V-Pick on the way that I came up with the idea for and Vinni came up with some other ideas for and the end result's going to look something like this (I am pretty sure this is before any buffing at all is done, I'll take a proper picture of the prototype when I get it in):

In the mail to try. The basic concept comes from three picks that I thought might make one hell of a pick if you took basic bits of each of them and sort of blended them together: the 1980, which I think is a stellar pick and I can see how he got famous making them; the Dimension, because who has tried one and doesn't like it (seriously everyone loves that thing!); and the Big Fattie, which is a super comfortable pick with a great thickness and tone. I did come up with the name and basic idea, but Vinni came up with a lot of stuff too (he had the experience to let me know that one of my ideas just probably wouldn't work out, and suggested a really, really cool alternative that I think is going to be badass when I get my hands on it!) and of course of the two of us he has the equipment and supplies to make picks so let's put credit where it's due, haha.

Holy crap cool.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 15, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Don't buff them!!!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

iostream.h posted:

Don't buff them!!!

I believe this one will have a little something for everyone when it comes to that particular property. :D

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
re: Soldano talk: How good is the Jet City JCA 20H? I've only listened to some youtube vids and they sounds pretty good, but I'd appreciate some more info if possible.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Xabi posted:

re: Soldano talk: How good is the Jet City JCA 20H? I've only listened to some youtube vids and they sounds pretty good, but I'd appreciate some more info if possible.
That's the one that some random hippy showed up with at our practice one day (he was a friend of a friend sort of thing) and proceeded to melt faces with.

The Jet City amps sound very, VERY good. Most of them share (or in the case of a couple) outright crib the SLO preamp design (licensed appropriately) and other features. The ones I've heard have gone from Marshall clean to really really heavy and their EQ sections seem to be pretty useable.

The biggest complaint I hear is (as it is for most of the chinese/budget amps) that they just don't hold up well to banging them around.
I've been toying with the idea of picking one of them up for a long time just to sit in the studio/practice, because they DO sound so drat good.

I wasn't being snippy above when I replied to Agreed, they really ARE Soldano amps, they're just made in China with cheaper parts. Would one of them replace the SLO? No, but for most everyone (myself and lucky deals notwithstanding) they're absolutely good enough, they're affordable and most importantly they wouldn't make an audible difference in the majority of the scenarios people like we would be using them in.

tl;dr yup awesome get one.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Xabi posted:

As Iostream said, yeah, they're pretty much part for part clones as far as the circuit goes, you just get a lot of cost cutting in the parts. Even the cab dimensions are pretty much identical. Jet City used to be a partnership with licensed designs from Soldano, THD, and ... I forget, but now it's Soldano and iirc a silent partner doing it. They are Soldano heads, just, made in China. They sound like Soldano heads. Hell, their cabs sound like Soldano cabs.

I'm interested in this oddball solid state 12AX7 replacement, MAKE YOUR TUBE AMP SOLID STATE WOO! I remember when this tech was first introduced and patented, looks like now it's licensed to Jet City. Iirc, sounds good, though not as good as just sticking tubes in there. But, from a "well that sure is neat" perspective, that sure is neat, eh? Here's a demo of it with Rikk Beatty, a very nice guy who I hope is getting well compensated for advertising a difficult to advertise product (just an opinion, I obviously have no plans to transistorize my tube amplifiers).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7za6RsryEYU

Okay back to me :neckbeard:

The page for the Infinity is up!

It's one of the Premium line, so it ain't cheap, but hey that's my name and woah that's my design with Vinni's design and holy poo poo look at this pick it is so cool! If you like picks! Which obviously I do, I have an, um, kind of signature one I guess!

Official picture is waiting on me to get it in hand and snap a photo with my wife's not-a-piece-of-poo poo camera, but it's up on the site now for purchase if you're willing to take risks.

So here's the really really cool thing. It's half buffed, half unbuffed. As a result, every one will be a little different, but we came up with something totally new, between us, and it is super exciting to have worked with Vinni on something I hope people will like. And I really hope they do, this thing is going to be so cool! You'd just have to kinda see it in your head I guess since it's hard to visualize a half buffed, half unbuffed acrylic pick and hard to photograph it dead-on, but I really feel that the idea is gonna be cool as poo poo based on experience dicking around with a mostly-buffed pick a friend gave me some time ago, and the fact that this is basically the 1980 meets the Dimension but 5.85mm thick and with the half-and-half thing that none of the other v-picks have. Vinni says it plays extremely well, and I guess I'll find out soon, hopefully the package will get here on Saturday.

To make this super clear - I don't get a cut, there's no vig here. I don't want any money from the sales and I'm not asking for any - I'm just stoked as hell that Vinni saw fit to go with my idea and name for the pick, and credits me with the design aspects I most emphasized. If anything he leaves out the bit about how I thought it'd be cool to have kind of a Dimension sort of thing but in the thicker shape it wouldn't work as well, so how about for the first time he does a half buffed, half unbuffed pick instead? That, to me, is sharper thinking vis a vis pick poo poo than my notion, but Vinni is seriously just a super sweet guy.

Hi mom I am not just a pick crazy person anymore, I'm now a pick crazy person with my very own pick. :toot:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
You know, speaking of TC Electronic, I keep hearing awesome things about their Spark Booster.
http://www.tcelectronic.com/spark-booster/
Might be nice to go with the Sol.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Warcabbit posted:

You know, speaking of TC Electronic, I keep hearing awesome things about their Spark Booster.

I don't think having 26dB of clean boost is especially great, utility tends to top out around 12dB or so in my experience before you're hitting the input too hard; but the other features on that make it a pretty interesting contender for boosting.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

I don't think having 26dB of clean boost is especially great, utility tends to top out around 12dB or so in my experience before you're hitting the input too hard; but the other features on that make it a pretty interesting contender for boosting.

I remember using the Seymour Duncan pickup booster and with a couple of amps it sounded the exact same for about half of the knob's travel.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Agreed posted:

I'm interested in this oddball solid state 12AX7 replacement, MAKE YOUR TUBE AMP SOLID STATE WOO! I remember when this tech was first introduced and patented, looks like now it's licensed to Jet City. Iirc, sounds good, though not as good as just sticking tubes in there. But, from a "well that sure is neat" perspective, that sure is neat, eh? Here's a demo of it with Rikk Beatty, a very nice guy who I hope is getting well compensated for advertising a difficult to advertise product (just an opinion, I obviously have no plans to transistorize my tube amplifiers).

Not gonna lie, I've been pondering throwing a set of these in the Jub for some time now, I hear they really bring out a metallic clang that I think I'd dig.
At their price, I probably AM at some point, just to see.

Agreed posted:

Okay back to me :neckbeard:

It's one of the Premium line, so it ain't cheap, but hey that's my name and woah that's my design with Vinni's design and holy poo poo look at this pick it is so cool! If you like picks! Which obviously I do, I have an, um, kind of signature one I guess!

Hi mom I am not just a pick crazy person anymore, I'm now a pick crazy person with my very own pick. :toot:
Not waiting for my sample pack to arrive, ordering just on principle. Hopefully I'm the first dammit.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Agreed posted:

Official picture is waiting on me to get it in hand and snap a photo with my wife's not-a-piece-of-poo poo camera, but it's up on the site now for purchase if you're willing to take risks.

Welp. I've never spent more than $0.75 on a pick before; but wtf. This is from Agreed and after all the time and money he's spent evaluating these things I think I'll jump on board.

P.S. - That SLO is the dream of my youth. In the 90's we flocked around any that happened to actually make it into a store, but we never knew anyone who had one. I would have no use for it now (living in a small apartment and not being in a band) but still, just looking at it takes me back to the days when I was so crazy passionate about gear. Congratulations, and treat her well. Oh, and post clips.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

iostream.h posted:

I don't have a proper treble boost, I've been using an EP Boost for a while, which I dig, but today I've been pulling out every OD/Boost/Dirt pedal I can find, TS, Rat, DOD, it's been kind of noisy today so far!

See this? I need to spend a day doing this one day.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

the wizards beard posted:

I remember using the Seymour Duncan pickup booster and with a couple of amps it sounded the exact same for about half of the knob's travel.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/14810
Same thing this review said. (has audio of booster).
Also, I just bought some fancy pick.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Warcabbit posted:

Having this, I would recommend it. It definitely has more boost than you need, but that doesn't seem like too bad a problem to have, you just don't need to turn it too high. It can be a clean boost, but I think it's most useful as a way to add a little gain and tweak the tone. It has three different very distinct settings, which are all worth having. I'm sure there pedals that do each thing a little better, but this does them all really well. Worth the cost for a good swiss army knife kinda thing.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Agreed posted:

AMT's been making those for a while now too.

http://amtelectronics.com/products/warmstone-tubes-solidstate-analogs/12ax7ws-warmstone-12ax7-tubes-solid-state-equivalents/

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
oops, just ordered an Infinity and another $35 worth of V-Picks. found my medium pointed recently after Agreed returned with pick chat and been using it exclusively. I guess there's a lesson there...

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
If I love jazz 3/planet waves black ice style picks and dislike a 3mm Stubby pick because it's not pointed/sharp enough will I enjoy any of these fancy picks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Byebye stock Strat!