Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

lumbergill posted:

Can someone tell me about different types of housing construction? I'm looking at buying a house, and am confused as to the pros/cons of different choices.

I'm originally from the UK, where pretty much all houses are brick, with cavity walls and tile roofs. Compared with what I'm used to, a lot of the houses here (Austin, TX) seem not to be built to last. For example, I'd never heard of having to replace roofs regularly, and it never really occurred to me to think of the brick-and-mortar of a house as a depreciating asset. I'm worried about buying a house, and then having to spend a ton of money stopping it from falling down or leaking.

I'm seeing houses listed as either mason, frame, or hardi-plank, and roofs as metal, composition shingle, or slate. Most of the housing stock in the areas I'm looking at is from the 30s-50s, with the occasional newer home. How long do these various sorts of construction, and various sorts of roof, hold up, and are there any major advantages/disadvantages?

Pretty much all houses from that era in Austin are going to be pier and beam foundation with wood frame construction. Even if it looks like brick or stone on the outside, that will just be the exterior, the house is still gonna be wood frame. If it's not brick on the outside (the vast majority of Austin homes, particularly the older ones), the exterior will be either wood or, if it's been renovated recently, hardie. Composition shingle roofs have a finite lifespan, metal lasts much, much longer (my roof is metal and very, very old and still not leaking). I've only ever seen slate roofs on some really high end houses over in West Lake it's not common in Austin. In the 50s, is when they started to use concrete slab foundations but the house's construction is still going to be wood frame.

The disadvantages of an older home can be all of the things outlined above. You need to get a good home inspector who will really investigate all the possible problems. (FWIW, I live in East Austin in a 1925 house and, yeah, it's got things to fix but it's basically sound and, most importantly, in an ideal location. If I'd wanted new, it'd been either way out in the burbs or infill on a central lot and probably two or three times what I paid.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Chin Strap posted:

What do you think about marmoleum?
Marmoleum is just branded linoleum which has been around forever and AFAIK isn't particularly green though perhaps it might still be better than recycled vinyl. That brand does have some nice patterns and colors though if their site is anything to go by.

Is ceramic tile practical for you?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Is ceramic tile practical for you?

I don't think I would want tile in a whole house. Even if I did that sounds pricy. Anyway we need to pull up the carpet first and see what's under there.

Linco
Apr 1, 2004
Is anyone familiar with using the VA loan for multiple properties? I currently have a property in another state that I use as a rental that I make a decent profit on. I would like to purchase a home to use as my primary residence where I currently live. Both properties combined would be less than the 417K cap in my area. I have done some reading, but the information is a bit confusing.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Can anyone suggest a good DIY home repairs and improvement book to buy for someone getting their first house?

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Although their tools are complete crap, the Black and Decker series of home owner's books are reasonably priced and probably the best intro to mid level resource you can buy.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Looking at a house built in 1929, but with a new roof, plumbing, and electric. Needs paint and some drywall patching, needs a new washer and oven. It's raised, and everything underneath looks good to my untrained eye.

We're concerned about the age. If an inspector says that things are fine, is there anything else to worry about, or Do Never Buy an old house?

Other factors: we love our rental, but rent is high; we'd be paying the same after mortgage, homeowners insurance, extra utilities, etc. Our rental is also cramped; we'd have another 500 sqft with the house. The house also has a huge kitchen and a huge patio, which I find appealing

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
When the mortgage and rent is the same you'll still probably have at least $100-200 more in expenses on a house not in the mortgage than the rent. Set aside money for a water heater, central air, roof replacement. Also don't ignore lawn work as "free." Tools and time cost money.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

QuarkJets posted:

We're concerned about the age. If an inspector says that things are fine, is there anything else to worry about, or Do Never Buy an old house?

Even very good inspectors (which are rare) can miss serious problems that are hidden away in inaccessible places. Old houses have a lot of extra opportunities for these.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So what should the plan here be, hire like 3 different inspectors and hope for the best or just walk away whistling?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Zhentar posted:

Even very good inspectors (which are rare) can miss serious problems that are hidden away in inaccessible places. Old houses have a lot of extra opportunities for these.

The current This Old House project had an entire rear staircase the owners never knew was there.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

QuarkJets posted:

So what should the plan here be, hire like 3 different inspectors and hope for the best or just walk away whistling?
If it were me unless I realllly loved the house + was getting a steal (ie. 30%+ under market value) I'd walk away. Even with the updates that were done. Very few ever do the updates properly due to the costs involved so things tend to get done half assed "good enough" manner that festers behind the walls and blows up a year or 2 down the road.

FWIW even the best inspectors will miss stuff and the most important + expensive things they simply can't check without ripping open walls and ceilings left and right. Typically very old houses are huge on-going financial disasters that you get to live in.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
We looked at a house this weekend that seemed like a potential contender for our first home. Its located in Lansdale, PA for reference. Reviewing the sale history on Zillow, I noticed that it had been sold every 3-4 years over the last decade, all for around the same price. Our realtor said that us actually not that unusual to see a home turn over that often, and he believes the current owners were using it as a rental property which might explain why it went on and off the market a few times in the last two years. Is that a reasonable explanation? Obviously we'll do our homework but I wasn't sure if frequent sales like that inherently indicated some problem.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

LogisticEarth posted:

We looked at a house this weekend that seemed like a potential contender for our first home. Its located in Lansdale, PA for reference. Reviewing the sale history on Zillow, I noticed that it had been sold every 3-4 years over the last decade, all for around the same price. Our realtor said that us actually not that unusual to see a home turn over that often, and he believes the current owners were using it as a rental property which might explain why it went on and off the market a few times in the last two years. Is that a reasonable explanation? Obviously we'll do our homework but I wasn't sure if frequent sales like that inherently indicated some problem.

Well, Legally if those homeowners ran into something they couldn't fix and was wrong with the house they'd have to disclose. 4 years seems a bit close together to me but at the same time the notion of the "starter" house has been around for the last decade so if it fits that sort of category every 3/4 years could make sense?

Is the layout odd? Do the walls seem to have decent insulation? Have they been running the heater super high every time you've viewed the house? The one thing we didn't think about when we bought our house was the insulation. Every time we saw our house in the winter the heat was really cranked up and it turns out the walls are pretty poorly insulated in our house. It's not bad enough for us to want to move but honestly, we are 4 years into ownership and I could see us selling now if we were a tiny bit more irritated with it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
When I was looking at the house I have a contact on I said to myself "hm, the water is still on but the heat is off. I hope they take care of this before the temperature plunges to negative digits."
I guess I'll have to take another look after they conduct the repairs to see if I need to use this to break the contract.
:downs:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Chin Strap posted:

I don't think I would want tile in a whole house. Even if I did that sounds pricy. Anyway we need to pull up the carpet first and see what's under there.

The downside of tile in the whole house is it is cold on the feet

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

QuarkJets posted:

1: Don't buy any house, of any age, if you can't afford to take the hit of a repair that costs 5-10% of the home's value. I'm not saying you need to have that much cash on hand, but if an unplanned $10,000 expense spells financial ruin, you probably aren't ready for homeownership.

2: If you find certain risks unacceptable, such as the possibility of lead paint, asbestos, or knob & tube wiring, don't buy an old house (inspection can help detect these, but it's no guarantee)

3: Recognize that older houses will have a higher TCO, through both maintenance and inefficiency, and weigh that in when evaluating the price of the home. (Edit: your own handiness is a significant factor here; if you have to hire someone to do everything, it will get expensive fast, and you'll be left putting up with a lot more problems than if you can do most of the work yourself)

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 13, 2014

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Tigntink posted:

Well, Legally if those homeowners ran into something they couldn't fix and was wrong with the house they'd have to disclose. 4 years seems a bit close together to me but at the same time the notion of the "starter" house has been around for the last decade so if it fits that sort of category every 3/4 years could make sense?

Is the layout odd? Do the walls seem to have decent insulation? Have they been running the heater super high every time you've viewed the house? The one thing we didn't think about when we bought our house was the insulation. Every time we saw our house in the winter the heat was really cranked up and it turns out the walls are pretty poorly insulated in our house. It's not bad enough for us to want to move but honestly, we are 4 years into ownership and I could see us selling now if we were a tiny bit more irritated with it.

I guess it would fit in a "starter" home for some people. 3-4 bedrooms, but on of the "bedrooms" is really more of an office, in that it's a bit narrow and has glass doors. The "master" bedroom is up on the third floor, essentially the attic, and a bit awkward to get to. It's also an older home, but a lot of stuff has been updated. Kitchen and bathrooms are newish, there's a high efficiency natural gas furnace that looks nearly brand new, as furnaces go. I did not check on insulation yet, as I was waiting to get a look at the seller's disclosure before taking the time to do another walkthrough, also debating whether we want to live in town or look for something more rural.

So yeah, odd layout, old home, possible insulation issues. That could explain it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If it were me unless I realllly loved the house + was getting a steal (ie. 30%+ under market value) I'd walk away. Even with the updates that were done. Very few ever do the updates properly due to the costs involved so things tend to get done half assed "good enough" manner that festers behind the walls and blows up a year or 2 down the road.

FWIW even the best inspectors will miss stuff and the most important + expensive things they simply can't check without ripping open walls and ceilings left and right. Typically very old houses are huge on-going financial disasters that you get to live in.

Sounds good, thanks thread. I've walked away. It definitely wasn't a steal or a perfect dream home or anything

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I know it's cliche to say, but if you've never owned a home watch a bunch of Holmes on Homes, Income Property, and/or Property Brothers before you start buying. You'll see the following happen a ton:

1. Getting too tied to a specific location or feature and overpaying for it
2. Stretching the budget to afford the better location/bigger house and there's a $10,000 problem behind a wall
3. Waiving inspections or ignoring red flags to put in the "best offer"
4. Falling in love with a house and ignoring obvious problems or overpaying
5. Trusting the wrong people and not getting things in writing
6. Underestimating the total cost of ownership
7. Choosing the cheapest way to do X
8. Overreacting to cosmetics (paint colors, fixtures) and ignoring structure

Yeah, each show's shtick gets old eventually, but seeing people come across problems and deal with them is good. You might even catch yourself spotting problems you wouldn't have known to look for before.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm surprised at all the strong words about old homes. I'll be buying something built 1910-1930 in the next 6 months so I'm already nervous about that.

What do you think is a better approach:

Sacrifice size for condition/modernization or go for "couple lived it in for 60 years then died" and nothing has been touched. I've noticed that you can generally give up about 20% of the square footage in exchange for much better kept houses with (at least cosmetic) modernizations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Christobevii3 posted:

When the mortgage and rent is the same you'll still probably have at least $100-200 more in expenses on a house not in the mortgage than the rent. Set aside money for a water heater, central air, roof replacement. Also don't ignore lawn work as "free." Tools and time cost money.
So landlords lose money on average?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

Landlords will let you pay a lot on busted a/c units, dishwashers, and water heaters through electrical bills before a home owner would have long changed it. Also, when it is yours you don't buy the cheapest possible to rent out.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

poo poo, I'd rather buy a 100 year old house that has been taken care of then an 8 year old house built during the boom by some shady rear end construction company looking to cut costs anywhere they can.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dik Hz posted:

Professional landlords don't buy homes at mortgage = rent values, that wouldn't be a good rental grade investment.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Renting today in North America basically only works profitably at small-scale if you get a pretty drat good steal of a house (and I mean as great value including minimal upkeep) and you have a steady stream of renters while they basically pay off the house for you. The conversation belongs more in the rental / landlord thread though.

Jealous Cow posted:

What do you think is a better approach:

Sacrifice size for condition/modernization or go for "couple lived it in for 60 years then died" and nothing has been touched. I've noticed that you can generally give up about 20% of the square footage in exchange for much better kept houses with (at least cosmetic) modernizations.
The answer is always whatever works best in your housing market and that you're willing to pay for (or more accurately, be on the hook for if things go badly again). You just need to add in the cost of labor for fixing up an older house, which is generally a monotonically increasing function wrt household income for the area. A lot of my neighborhood is $300k-$450k 60+ year old houses that are of the former category that are being bought and torn down to put up $900k+ homes because the owners think it's a good deal for them, but in this thread we'd be horrified at that thought. I'm pretty sure most of the thread doesn't have $900k+ in equity already, another house that's been in magazines, and 8 figure net worths though (I do a lot of snooping through property records).

Ranma posted:

poo poo, I'd rather buy a 100 year old house that has been taken care of then an 8 year old house built during the boom by some shady rear end construction company looking to cut costs anywhere they can.
Yeah, if a house has survived a hundred years by now, it'll probably survive another 100 years more. A huge chunk of houses built at scale by 3rd tier house builders are not going to pass code soon, which is a huge liability if you ever want to move. Those houses that were torn down across the Southwest because they'd cost the bank too much to repair to code to sell are a good example. Even the "luxury" house builder brands lowered their quality to get better profit starting about the middle of the boom. But good luck figuring out what that point is without being intimately familiar with builders and your market.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?
I need some advice.

I have a 5.5% 30 year conventional mortgage on my house, and i'm about 5 years into it. It was originally for $89,500 and is now for like $83,something.

EDIT: Important information: the house comps in the neighborhood are in the $130,000 to $150,000 range, almost exclusively dependent on square footage - I'm on the low end of that, so I used the 'your house would be worth' number of $130,000.

On a lark, I looked at the refi options for USAA, and their 30 year mortgage is nearly $300 a month less, and their 15 is about the same as my current payments.

The question mostly stems from the fact that the closing fees would essentially wipe out any principal I've paid down if I roll the closing costs into the mortgage, which is likely to be done because I honestly don't have that kind of spare cash to put into this, as my income has been very spotty due to being self employed, and I don't foresee there being a substantial boost (or decrease) in the near future. It still results in cutting a decade off the length of the loan.

The 30 year cuts the payment substantially, and while I know i'm going to be paying longer-term on this, I'm in the position of being self employed and having wildly variable income year to year, and there's some appeal of basically cutting my mortgage payment outlay by 25% - even though I'll pay a ton longer-term.

Fiscially I know the 15 is the route to go, and likely that's what I'd do, but am I somehow missing something that would make this a completely loving awful idea?

This is the info I'm working off of to figure out if this is worth the time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cstine fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 16, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You could go for the 30, and then make additional or higher payments when you can afford them to accelerate your mortgage payoff.

Both of those mortgages have you paying points for lower rates, plus significant fees, and that might not make sense if you're just going to roll the points back into the loan. Those don't look like especially wonderful interest rates or fees, either; have you gotten competitive quotes from multiple banks, which take your personal particulars into account? Paying $6400 to refinance $83k is kind of a lot: about 7% of the loan value if my math is right.

Also, are you paying PMI, and has the value of your home changed? If you are paying PMI and your house has appreciated, it might be worth doing an appraisal just to get rid of PMI, which would make your home costs cheaper without doing a refi.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Leperflesh posted:

Also, are you paying PMI, and has the value of your home changed? If you are paying PMI and your house has appreciated, it might be worth doing an appraisal just to get rid of PMI, which would make your home costs cheaper without doing a refi.

I am, and it has: when I bought it the average house sale price here was more like $115,000 than $130,000+.

The current loan is held by a credit union that is currently being held in receivership, and is absolutely miserable to deal with for anything at any time for any reason, and I'd not mind getting away from them. They make Bank of America seem pleasant to deal with, in comparison.

Part of what I'm eating costs on is that currently my credit is poo poo - due to massive retardation and poor planning and just bad luck (losing clients worth $85k a year in income over the course of two weeks due to their own mismanagement) I ended up filing bankruptcy June 2012. I know the points and 'fees' are related to the fact that my credit is in the 640 range (which surprised me when I looked at it, considering).

I'm basically debtless at this point other than the car loan, and some wife's student loans.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm sorry your credit union sucks to deal with.

Without knowing more about your situation: I think your best approach is to do an appraisal and get rid of the PMI immediately. Your loan-to-value should be well past the 80% mark. That will save you monthly costs immediately, although you didn't say how much your PMI was.

I'd then also work on rebuilding your credit. Your 2012 bankruptcy means you're going to be paying out the rear end for any kind of refi, and I really question whether lowering the monthly cost by a small amount is worth adding several thousand dollars to your mortgage. Especially if doing so means you can't get rid of PMI. With your points plus the quoted costs, you're paying over $7650 just to reduce your interest rate on $90k by 1 percent per year. And resetting the 30-year clock to do it. The 15 year deal is a little better, paying just under $7k to get your rate lower by over 2 points, but you're also obliging yourself to continue making high payments with the 15-year duration.

Let's see if anyone else has a differing opinion, though.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 16, 2014

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Leperflesh posted:

I'm sorry your credit union sucks to deal with.

Without knowing more about your situation: I think your best approach is to do an appraisal and get rid of the PMI immediately. Your loan-to-value should be well past the 80% mark. That will save you monthly costs immediately, although you didn't say how much your PMI was.

I'd then also work on rebuilding your credit. Your 2012 bankruptcy means you're going to be paying out the rear end for any kind of refi, and I really question whether lowering the monthly cost by a small amount is worth adding several thousand dollars to your mortgage. Especially if doing so means you can't get rid of PMI.

Let's see if anyone else has a differing opinion, though.

According to this statement PMI is $650.21 a year, so basically $55/month.

I'll contact the loan servicer tomorrow and see what kind of requirements they're going to need to remove that.

It didn't appear that USAA was adding PMI to the mortgage in those quotes, though of course, those aren't binding or final.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

cstine posted:

According to this statement PMI is $650.21 a year, so basically $55/month.

I'll contact the loan servicer tomorrow and see what kind of requirements they're going to need to remove that.

It didn't appear that USAA was adding PMI to the mortgage in those quotes, though of course, those aren't binding or final.

Oh. Well that's not very much money. If an appraisal only costs you $500, that pays for itself in less than a year, though, so still worth doing.

USAA might not be including PMI if they're assuming that you're going to do an appraisal anyway (which they may or may not have included in your estimated costs) and also assuming you'll appraise at something under 80% loan-to-value.

(If your loan is $90k and your house appraises at $130k, you're at just under 70% LTV, so you shouldn't need PMI.)

What you want to be doing is comparing apples-to-apples, though, so you should be comparing your USAA (without owing PMI) quoted monthly cost to your current monthly cost after removing PMI.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 16, 2014

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
My wife and I are looking to buy a house in a small area between our works in the SF bay area where most of the houses were built in the 40's and are about 1200 sqft with 1 bathroom. Occasionally there are houses that are bigger, but a 1600sqft house with 2 bathrooms might be 30% more expensive than the smaller house, they get bid up a ton and it is hard to get one where someone does not just buy it in cash before offers are being accepted anyway.

How feasible is it to buy one of the smaller houses, and remodel it to add a bathroom and another 400-600 or so sqft of useful space? Both in time commitment and in money? I would guess that it would be cheaper to buy a small house and remodel it rather than go for the bigger house, but I also have no idea what I am talking about, so it is just a guess. Most of the lots are 4000-6000 sqft for a rough idea of how much room there is to work with.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 16, 2014

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
edit - nevermind

GanjamonII fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 16, 2014

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
In line with the old house/old wiring discussion from the last couple pages...
I just went through the house inspection today and found that while the first floor has new romex wiring, the second floor/attic is still knob and tube (it's a converted two-family house with two electrical boxes). The wiring is in good condition, looks like new even, and the ceiling insulation doesn't touch it. It's an old brick house, plaster walls. Does anyone know how much it would cost to rewire, if it's worth rewiring, or if I should just break contract?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
A friend of mine had to deal with a similar situation. He was the seller - he ended up getting the knob and tube replaced as a condition of the sale. I think it only ran him a couple grand, but he had a fairly small upstairs and it was on the same (updated) service as the downstairs.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Leperflesh posted:

Oh. Well that's not very much money. If an appraisal only costs you $500, that pays for itself in less than a year, though, so still worth doing.

USAA might not be including PMI if they're assuming that you're going to do an appraisal anyway (which they may or may not have included in your estimated costs) and also assuming you'll appraise at something under 80% loan-to-value.

(If your loan is $90k and your house appraises at $130k, you're at just under 70% LTV, so you shouldn't need PMI.)

What you want to be doing is comparing apples-to-apples, though, so you should be comparing your USAA (without owing PMI) quoted monthly cost to your current monthly cost after removing PMI.

More math: the P&I currently is $520, the P&I on that 15 year is $635, but the amortization shows that the $6k in closing costs is covered in interest savings in just over three years - I paid $4700 a year in interest for 2013, and an amortization calculator for 3.375% and 15 year makes it just over $2700 for year 1.

A three-year payback just based on the interest costs, as well as dumping the $650 a year PMI off (my current lender will do so, at the cost of a new appraisal - which I'd have to get either way).

This seems absolutely not-stupid, unless I've missed a giant huge obvious 'hey dumbass'?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Account for the reduced tax deduction if you're itemizing.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

slap me silly posted:

Account for the reduced tax deduction if you're itemizing.

All the business related tax-deductible stuff is handled on the level of the s-corp, not personally, so I never end up over the standard deduction anyways.

And, regardless, you don't REMOTELY save $2000 for $2000 in deductions - at my rate it's more like 15%, at most.

It adds something like two or three months longer before it's in my favor - not a substantial issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

cstine posted:

More math: the P&I currently is $520, the P&I on that 15 year is $635, but the amortization shows that the $6k in closing costs is covered in interest savings in just over three years - I paid $4700 a year in interest for 2013, and an amortization calculator for 3.375% and 15 year makes it just over $2700 for year 1.

A three-year payback just based on the interest costs, as well as dumping the $650 a year PMI off (my current lender will do so, at the cost of a new appraisal - which I'd have to get either way).

This seems absolutely not-stupid, unless I've missed a giant huge obvious 'hey dumbass'?

You should seriously shop around. I feel like $6k in settlement costs sounds absurdly high. I refinanced $90k in January 2013 and it was around $2-3k IIRC. That would make it a no brainer for you.