Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

On the same topic - are their any major differences with 1 series models aside from the 2011 refresh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Crustashio posted:

Definitely replace the diff bushing if you are going to track/autox at all. Or you will get to do this:

One bushing? Or bushings?

I'm trying to get a proper track prep list going for my recently acquired E36. At the moment, maintenance wise, it needs nothing.

Must do:
Oil pump shaft upgrade
Baffle
RTAB reinforcement
Rear shock reinforcement

Maybe do:
Mech. fan delete
X brace
Sway bar reinforcement (stock sways probably won't break them.)
Front engine mount reinforcement (stock power on street tires probably won't break anything?)

I'm wondering about the Z3 oil pickup upgrade. Is that compatible with the VAC baffle?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Helped a friend check out (and then buy!) a 6-speed 2002 M3 in Carbonschwartz over black with 70k km on it. Car has literally 100% service history, single-owner, etc. etc. etc.

It's beautiful and I'm jealous as hell. But driving it back-to-back with my Z4M I can deeply appreciate them both. :)

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

televiper posted:

If it's not likely to freeze where you are, you can use straight distilled water.

Unfortunately in Chicago that's not likely. I ended up buying some Zerex G-05 and put it in.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The eta got a combined 27mpg on a ~260mi trip with the cruise set at 80, I am pretty pleased with that.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

The eta got a combined 27mpg on a ~260mi trip with the cruise set at 80, I am pretty pleased with that.

:smugdog:

My 325e with no o2 sensor plugged in.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
gently caress me, my 325e barely breaks 23 (all city and short trips)

It's for sale if anyone wants it. Wife wants it gone so it's going for next to nothing

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Lightbulb Out posted:

look at this guy who doesn't have all his settings in metric.

My city mileage is closer to 20 but when you can sit at 1800 RPM on the highway it's actually pretty efficient.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

two_beer_bishes posted:

It's for sale if anyone wants it. Wife wants it gone so it's going for next to nothing

God drat you all for being every where but the midwest. I need an easy project

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Oh come on, nobody has posted this? http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AENdc50K5aE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DAENdc50K5aE

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

two_beer_bishes posted:

Where are you and what are the details? :v:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

two_beer_bishes posted:

People want E30s. Post a picture, a price, and a location already!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Worth it just for the BFC bitching.

Lightbulb Out posted:

People want E30s. Post a picture, a price, and a location already!

Take all the e30s. I want all the e36s. I want to find a 325 or 328 again, I miss my old 328 like crazy. 2.0 golf is boring as gently caress.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 14, 2014

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

rscott posted:

My e90 328 was at 29 MPG doing ~80 on my drive from NorCal to Central Texas last November. Very pleasant surprise.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
1985 325e with a bunch of miles (odometer was broken when I bought it 5 years ago and I've been through one or two gauge clusters). Long Island, NY, hoping to get $3k for it. I'll do a serious post in the Marketplace either later tonight or tomorrow.

edit: LINK

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 14, 2014

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

ibntumart posted:

My e90 328 was at 29 MPG doing ~80 on my drive from NorCal to Central Texas last November. Very pleasant surprise.

This is a lot easier when you can get gasoline without ethanol.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Alarbus posted:

This is a lot easier when you can get gasoline without ethanol.

93 octane for cheaper than 89 (I only put in 91 here, mind) is in California is nice, too.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
At the dealership for the cooling issue and they said I need the radiator thermostat and expansion tank replaced and quoted it at 900. Time to teach myself how to do that

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I just paid about $1000 to replace the pump and thermostat on my E90. It was far to cold out last week t try and do it in my unheated garage.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
If you've got a manual e46 it's super easy, if you've got an auto go buy a 32mm wrench. Removing the fan is the only "difficult" part of cooling system maintenance.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
I've started looking into it and doesn't seem difficult. I also mentioned to them that it would sometimes idle funny and when they looked at it they said it needs a new vanos unit and quoted that at 1900. Looking into it it seems more like the seals could be the issue. Either way that seems incredibly high as well

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Stupid Post Maker posted:

I've started looking into it and doesn't seem difficult. I also mentioned to them that it would sometimes idle funny and when they looked at it they said it needs a new vanos unit and quoted that at 1900. Looking into it it seems more like the seals could be the issue. Either way that seems incredibly high as well

If you need a whole new VANOS unit, you can get them for $250+150 core (assuming E46 non M3) from http://www.drvanos.com/ and take care of your valve cover gasket at the same time. It's pretty straight forward to install.

concise fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 15, 2014

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

concise posted:

If you need a whole new VANOS unit, you can get them for $250+150 core (assuming E46 non M3) from http://www.drvanos.com/ and take care of your valve cover gasket at the same time. It's pretty straight forward to install.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

concise posted:

The Dr. VANOS unit also comes with upgraded seals and the anti-rattle piston modification so in theory it should be good for the remaining life of the engine (unlike the dealer unit, which will fail again).

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Stupid Post Maker posted:

I'm all for doing your own work, but if you feel like any of it is above your head, you should be able to find a decent indy shop that deals with BMWs on a regular basis in Chicago with labor rates that aren't as insane as the dealer. I personally don't do anything that takes more than an hour in winter, I'd rather pay someone else to do it than deal with my uninsulated garage.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Funzo posted:

I just paid about $1000 to replace the pump and thermostat on my E90. It was far to cold out last week t try and do it in my unheated garage.

You could have gotten a really awesome space heater for $500 :v:

There was a thread on e90 post detailing costs for common maintenance problems. Jesus Christ.

The only reason I can afford to own my e82 is I can wrench on it myself. Labor costs these people were paying were insane.

$1000 for the water pump job isn't terrible from what I hear though. Parts are 500 if you shop around, so they were being pretty honest about the labor cost. A rarity unfortunately.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
How much would a shop charge/whats the labor time for a Dr. Vanos install? My ZHP has about 108k on the clock and its getting pretty annoying and I don't have time/place/tools to do it myself.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
More Dr Vanos questions. I don't know if my car needs it yet, (it's at 100k miles and it's still in storage) but is stage II ever worth it?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Party Alarm posted:

There was a thread on e90 post detailing costs for common maintenance problems.

Link?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lightbulb Out posted:

my 540 doing a burnout at a stop light. :smuggo:

This is obviously the correct way to drive. Evidenced by the fact that once the light turned green, the mileage started dropping to this.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Chinatown posted:

How much would a shop charge/whats the labor time for a Dr. Vanos install? My ZHP has about 108k on the clock and its getting pretty annoying and I don't have time/place/tools to do it myself.

You're probably looking at 2 to 4 hours labour (4 is generous) + cost of valve cover gasket. E46 vanos is actually really, really easy to do. Dual vanos doesn't require removing the timing chains so it can be done with simple hand tools. I dread doing the single vanos on my m3, that may be the one job I just pay someone to do.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Crustashio posted:

If you've got a manual e46 it's super easy, if you've got an auto go buy a 32mm wrench. Removing the fan is the only "difficult" part of cooling system maintenance.

Also go get the BavAuto BMW specific clutch holder. Best 25 dollars I have ever spent on these cars.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Two questions for the hivemind:

- If my driver-side mirror isn't going up all the way, is that a simple/cheap fix (relatively, of course) or am I likely to need a replacement motor or entire mirror?

- What are the thoughts on the old 318ti hatchbacks? I've seen a few pop up for sale in my area. My wife and I are talking about buying a manual hatchback when my work picks up again. It would scratch my itch for a 3-door hatch and for likely being a more fun drive than a used Civic hatch.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
They're kind of half way between an E30 (rear suspension) and an E36, the interiors are supposed to be pretty cheap and only the 318ti has what could be described as adequate performance. If you have to have a hatchback and a BMW there isn't really anything else you can buy that isn't an even more horrible abortion (they don't sell the 1 series hatch in the US right?).

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Party Alarm posted:

You could have gotten a really awesome space heater for $500 :v:

There was a thread on e90 post detailing costs for common maintenance problems. Jesus Christ.

The only reason I can afford to own my e82 is I can wrench on it myself. Labor costs these people were paying were insane.

$1000 for the water pump job isn't terrible from what I hear though. Parts are 500 if you shop around, so they were being pretty honest about the labor cost. A rarity unfortunately.

They used OEM parts, so it was a little more expensive then it would have been otherwise, but I haven't done that job before and didn't want to learn during a record cold snap.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

rscott posted:

They're kind of half way between an E30 (rear suspension) and an E36, the interiors are supposed to be pretty cheap and only the 318ti has what could be described as adequate performance. If you have to have a hatchback and a BMW there isn't really anything else you can buy that isn't an even more horrible abortion (they don't sell the 1 series hatch in the US right?).

I think we're supposed to get a new 1 series hatch sometime later this year, but I doubt it'll be a 3-door. At the moment, I'm pretty sure all the US market gets are 3 series wagons... no hot hatch for the Yanks, I guess.

Ah well. Guess we'll look for something else when we're ready to buy. There are plenty of other used hatchback options in our area.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

ibntumart posted:

Two questions for the hivemind:

- If my driver-side mirror isn't going up all the way, is that a simple/cheap fix (relatively, of course) or am I likely to need a replacement motor or entire mirror?

- What are the thoughts on the old 318ti hatchbacks? I've seen a few pop up for sale in my area. My wife and I are talking about buying a manual hatchback when my work picks up again. It would scratch my itch for a 3-door hatch and for likely being a more fun drive than a used Civic hatch.

People have their opinions about looks, but I like them. I was trying to find one to put the m52 from my rusted 328 in but I gave up on a good example.

There are a few things I learned about them:
-every body panel behind the hood/front fenders is unique to the to
-dash/centre console is unique as well
-Some have a weird retractable cloth roof (California trim)
-3 trim levels: base, active, sport. Active gets the comfort features (cruise, obc,leather etc). Sport gets the seats, suspension, etc.
-rear suspension is the semi-trailing arm setup from the e30, not the multilink in the e36.
-Decent hatch space

They are less lethargic than the 318is, 2700ish pounds with 142hp isn't too bad for a daily. I found they felt faster than my old 6th gen civic, but definitely aren't "quick".

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
My brother has had a 318ti for about 13 years, and he loves it for its utility. It has been in enough accidents to have every panel on the car repainted. Still running strong.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ibntumart posted:

Decent little cross breed between the E30 and E36 as mentioned (same suspension setup as the Z3 I believe). We had one for several years that my brother learned to drive on and drove most of the time, it held up well and never gave him any trouble. I played with it on an icey track between sessions on day and it was a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So a very clean 1998 740il is for sale near my parents place. It has only 69k miles and runs fine according to the dealer. They are asking $5500 for it. I'm very tempted to check it out, it would look great with some style 37 M parallel wheels on it.

Please tell me this is stupid and I should stop looking at German yachts for a viable winter car when I already have a perfectly serviceable e30.

Last week I wanted a e46 touring (still do) this week its a 740il. What the hells happening to me?

Popete fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 17, 2014