Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

Honestly, I will 100% buy a full face-turn from Sasuke. The kid learned that everything he knew about his life and who he is was a lie, and that the world is actually a more caring place than he thought it was. He mended his bonds with his brother, who was his closest friend and then killed the entire rest of his family, and learned that the hosed up circumstances that lead to this happening aren't the sort of problem you solve with raw force.

Kishomoto still needs to sell this, of course. Just being redeemed when fighting a huge gently caress-off battle that he has a stake in anyhow (not wanting to live in an opium haze for eternity and all). Ideally, Sasuke should gently caress it up a little along the way too, maybe as an excuse for a showdown with Naruto.

My ideal end note for the character would come when the issue of the next Hokage is raised. Everyone should expect Sasuke to nominate himself, and instead he should step up and say something like "Naruto is already Hokage. But we both need time to just be kids. I nominate Tsunade."

For Sasuke to pull a believable face turn, he needs to stop being so goddamn smarmy for a little while. He doesn't seem to regret a single thing he has done. He had reasons, but those don't excuse anything. Granted, this isn't really the best time for contrition, but I really don't see him deciding to stop being a dick even once this battle is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

VJeff posted:

He got his head chopped off by Asuma?

He killed Asuma, and later Shikamaru cut/exploded Hidan apart and buried the pieces.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Schubalts posted:

He killed Asuma, and later Shikamaru cut/exploded Hidan apart and buried the pieces.

Yes but Asuma did chop his head off before that. :colbert:

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE
I still have no idea why Obito gave Sasuke an Eternal Mangekyo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I hope that, after this battle ends and there is finally peace between the ninja nations, war and violence do in fact return some years later. Naruto then realizes, upon introspection, that the moon eye plan really was the only way to achieve everlasting peace and that there is no meaningful distinction between reality and a dream indistinguishable from reality. Decades later we look back upon the series "Naruto" as an important philosophical text.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Allarion posted:

Well anyways, Rock Lee's Springtime of Youth 29 where we finally get to see the true duel between Kakashi vs Guy.
I don't remember much Japanese, but isn't "anus" a kind of homonym for "gate?"

I would love if the author made this into a pun.

Darth Nemesis
Nov 11, 2003

I <3 majins,
omg disgaea fag

KittenofDoom posted:

I don't remember much Japanese, but isn't "anus" a kind of homonym for "gate?"

I would love if the author made this into a pun.

Yeah, it's got the same character (門) for gate in it that all the eight gates have.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So wait Tobi's whole problem is because his desired waifu died. Hilarious.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Koirhor posted:

So wait Tobi's whole problem is because his desired waifu died. Hilarious.

It's especially dumb when you consider the fact that the two main male leads of the series both had to deal with several orders of magnitude more trauma than Obito did. I would be willing to buy the fact that he could have been brain-washed after living with Madara/Plant-dude in a cave for months/years, but the manga itself seemed to push the angle that Rin's death was the catalyst.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Dexo posted:

Kakashi interrupts, Sasuke sees the power that Naruto has, and is pissed off and feels like he is not advancing enough under Kakashi's training. In probably my favorite moment in the series Kakashi tells Sasuke to abandon his revenge. Sasuke essentially threaten's Kakashi's friends and loved ones. Kakashi essentially says good luck as they are already dead.

While I don't think that's the greatest moment in the manga or anything, I do think that Sasuke's initial motivation for leaving to join Orochimaru because he felt like Naruto was outstripping him and that the training he was getting in such a nurturing environment was holding him back was pretty fantastic personally and wish the follow through in Shippunden had been as well done. I think it would have been better served if Sasuke had replaced Pain somehow as the rinnegan user who attacks the village. Not that Sasuke would have needed to die or anything, but I just think getting his redemption out of the way as it's own proper arc before this clusterfuck of a finale would have been a lot more satisfying. In the Naruto/Sasuke final battle at the waterfall Sasuke actually seemed to care about Naruto and the village, but thought it was necessary to sacrifice that emotion and his home to find the power needed to beat his brother.

A fight where the focus was solely on them and how Naruto had managed to become stronger without abandoning the things he cares about in contrast to Sasuke and where Sasuke would be forced to acknowledge this and that he made the wrong choice and apologize for what he had done in the meantime is pretty much what I've expected since the end of the original manga. At this stage though he's such a jackass and honestly doesn't seem to give one single poo poo about anyone that I can't say as I really expect any of that anymore.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 1, 2014

Thoren
May 28, 2008
The dynamics of Naruto and co going to rescue Sasuke against all odds when Sasuke himself wanted to run away was pretty well written.

Personally I thought it was a bit lame when the Sand ninja showed up to save the day. Up until that point it felt genuinely risky to almost all of the characters involved. The fact that Chouji convincingly 'died' at the time really put all the other characters' lives on the line.

It could have marked a major turning point for the manga to have a character die off like that. It's a shame the author didn't stick with it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thoren posted:

The dynamics of Naruto and co going to rescue Sasuke against all odds when Sasuke himself wanted to run away was pretty well written.

Personally I thought it was a bit lame when the Sand ninja showed up to save the day. Up until that point it felt genuinely risky to almost all of the characters involved. The fact that Chouji convincingly 'died' at the time really put all the other characters' lives on the line.

It could have marked a major turning point for the manga to have a character die off like that. It's a shame the author didn't stick with it.

I wouldn't have minded the sand ninja coming* if they allowed Chouji/Neji to actually die. It's not so much not killing them that bothers me as much as the fact that they came about as close as they possibly could to explicitly saying they were dead. Chouji says how if you take that pill you will 100% definitely die, and Neji gets a scene where he collapses and has a flashback or something (if I recall correctly; I just remember it clearly implying he was dead).

*Only exception is that I would have liked Rock Lee to win his fight

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Ytlaya posted:

To be fair even Gaara couldn't beat him, they only survived because of Kimimaro's bonitis.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ytlaya posted:

I wouldn't have minded the sand ninja coming* if they allowed Chouji/Neji to actually die. It's not so much not killing them that bothers me as much as the fact that they came about as close as they possibly could to explicitly saying they were dead. Chouji says how if you take that pill you will 100% definitely die, and Neji gets a scene where he collapses and has a flashback or something (if I recall correctly; I just remember it clearly implying he was dead).

Well, half you wish has been granted.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

WhiffleballDude posted:

To be fair even Gaara couldn't beat him, they only survived because of Kimimaro's bonitis.

Edo Kimmimaro defeated the Naruto clone sent after him. Naruto said their fight this time would be diffrent when we cut back to Kimmimaro he is still kicking rear end and the clone is gone meaning he kicked Naruto's rear end again.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Volcano Style posted:

I still have no idea why Obito gave Sasuke an Eternal Mangekyo.
It was sort of implied that they needed him upgraded to do something with the statue. I don't think Obito wanted Madara back at all.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Someone give Lee some booze so this insufferable war will be over!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I love Orochimaru but if he is forgiven just because he helped save the world it's utterly stupid. This man is confirmed to have cold bloodily killed 99 babies with no regrets.

I'm pretty sure it was only 59. :colbert:

...that we know of.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I come bearing gifts

http://readms.com/r/naruto/661/2211/1

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

To the last page I say, YAY!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
If only we could get a guarantee that it would stick.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Oh no! Is this it? Is Sasuke really dead?!?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

:slick:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Well, Kishimito is succeeding with making me hate Madara. I thought he was refreshingly honest and his attitude (fighting for world control? who needs that if I can spar with HASHIRAMA!) was cool.

Now he is that unbeatable super god with the same Naruto-villain tendency for dumb moralizing monologues. It's come so far that I like Sasuke (!) more than Madara.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Alas poor Sasuke. We knew him well.
Now we've lost both Naruto and Sasuke.

There is no way that this is a planned trap. :sarcasm:

Madara can take care of infinitly regenerating zombies with infinite chakra by stabbing their chakra points with rods? Well, as long as they're in there I suppose that makes sense. :)

So how did he take care of the second? One page the second is attacking his head after teleporting and the next the second is on the floor with multiple rods in his back.
That takes care of the second, now what are the third and the fourth doing? Oh yeah, the fourth is shooting the poo poo with Kakashi and Black Zetsu.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So Madara can just freeze dudes in mid-air?

Okay, I guess we're working on Superman IV rules now.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Could be the same, or some variant of Pain's Gravity well power? :shrug:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sasuke Kebab!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Coughing Hobo posted:

If only we could get a guarantee that it would stick.

It actually looks like Sasuke is doing the old child's trick of holding it between his arm and chest so that only the angle is making it look like he's stabbed. Also, did Madara just say he was working on a new eye? What the gently caress could possibly be an upgrade of the Sharingan/Rinnengan? I was gonna try and come up with some comedy option powers, but seriously, what could you possibly do that's more hilariously over-powered than those two combined?

tsob fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 15, 2014

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

tsob posted:

It actually looks like

I'd say the blood on the other side of the sword, the part that probably went through his body makes this unlikely, but we'll see next week I guess.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
First he gets a new jutsu, then gets stabbed and killed without showing said jutsu? Yeah, there's no way.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Crawfish posted:

I'd say the blood on the other side of the sword, the part that probably went through his body makes this unlikely, but we'll see next week I guess.

Oh I know that's not what actually happened, it's just the art looks a bit like it is all and could have been done better.

tvayisnihyaami
Dec 23, 2012

by Lowtax

uXs posted:

First he gets a new jutsu, then gets stabbed and killed without showing said jutsu? Yeah, there's no way.

that's some high level critical thinking there. i salute you

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

What about Bee?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would be ok with him dying of this wound. But he survives until the end of the fight before dying.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

So I'm guessing he planned on Sasuke taking the firsts power to get the Rinnegan?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

What about Bee?

Well Hachibi chopped off one of his tails before he got sucked in, didn't he do something similar the first time he supposedly got captured?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

tsob posted:

Also, did Madara just say he was working on a new eye? What the gently caress could possibly be an upgrade of the Sharingan/Rinnengan? I was gonna try and come up with some comedy option powers, but seriously, what could you possibly do that's more hilariously over-powered than those two combined?

I thought he meant that the Rinnegan was his "new" eye, and his "Not likely to keep it" was a reference to popping an Izanami to both handle the Second's bullshit and hoverlock Sasuke

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Haha, yeah, no chance of Sasuke dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Izanami is still a thing, as is Izanagi for that matter.

When Uchiha have the ability to scribble out an outcome and go "No, that didn't actually happen", you can't really consider any result to stick until they've got no eyeballs left.

• Locked thread