Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Ponce de Le0n posted:

I saw the university challenge thing and i think this thread hyped it up a bit too much if im being totally honest.

You know the whole 'life imitating art' thingy. This one is a very boring exception that could have done with an eighties rocker and dropping a hand grenade on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Yeah maybe I did hype it up a bit too much.

What I'm not hyping up: Jo Brand on the BakeOff. Euggh.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yeah maybe I did hype it up a bit too much.

What I'm not hyping up: Jo Brand on the BakeOff. Euggh.

Maybe Omid Djalili will be better next week. I hope this isn't a mark of next series.
Also I'm watching Death in Paradise to fill the time between Bake Off and House of Fools, and it's got Nick from My Family in it, for those curious about what he's doing after his eldest went to college in the BT ads. He's basically doing COlumbo. If you're wondering how many bits of business it takes in the first 5 minutes to establish a character as "clumsy", then the answer is 15.
He literally just said "just one more thing." loving hell.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Is there something about magic that draws people with no personality, charisma or charm to it? That's slightly unfair as some magicians are alright I'm sure, I just noticed that lately David Blaine, Dynamo, and Barry and Stuart have had TV shows and they seem like the worlds most boring men.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Went from watching US The Taste S02E02 to watching UK the Taste (live now on CH4) and the editing, pacing and the ability for Ludo to swear just make it seem so much better.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Crankit posted:

Is there something about magic that draws people with no personality, charisma or charm to it? That's slightly unfair as some magicians are alright I'm sure, I just noticed that lately David Blaine, Dynamo, and Barry and Stuart have had TV shows and they seem like the worlds most boring men.
With David Blaine I think it's part of his schtick that he's dead eyed and monotone and mysterious, but I definitely agree with you on Dynamo. I've honestly never seen such an uncharismatic performer I don't think, he's tremendously dull. It's a shame because there are loads and loads of lesser known magicians who are really funny and engaging, I'd say he's the odd one out even. Which makes me wonder why he's this famous.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

My favourite thing in telly is old photos of the characters. They always get the scrubbiest gently caress out there to photoshop them together.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Well, House of Fools is odd. I think I like it. It's very stupid and some people will probably hate it for its "random"ness, but that's always been Vic and Bob's thing. And it has Matt Berry.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Seaside Loafer posted:

Holy poo poo that's loving hilarious, convenience link for my uk tv chat chums http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03q474x/Uncle_Episode_1/

Thank god it wasn't just my bias for loving everything Nick Helm does.

Plus the kid in it is genuinely pretty charming and is a pretty amazing straight man for Nick.

Also the "Gwen" song is brilliant.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Oh, never mind, House of Fools made a ~hilarious~ rape joke. And sexual harassment! Ho ho ho. It's funny if it's female on male, ho ho ho. With a cucumber! Ho Ho ho!

loving hell, I hate comedy sometimes.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Green Wing posted:

Well, House of Fools is odd. I think I like it. It's very stupid and some people will probably hate it for its "random"ness, but that's always been Vic and Bob's thing. And it has Matt Berry.

Gonna say I disagree. Vic and Bob lost it years ago. Well, Bob stayed funny for a while, Vic's sense of humour went with his mid life crisis.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Crankit posted:

Does Derren Brown just not count as a magician for the sake of this?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I think I'll really enjoy reading the synopsis of HoF on Wikipedia in twenty years time while remembering the 60 year long art project that their career managed to be, especially when compared to the feeling it's evoking right now, watching it. Bit dire, innit.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BizarroAzrael posted:

Does Derren Brown just not count as a magician for the sake of this?

Paul Daniels, man. Weirdo and possible sex offender, yes, but he had personality.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I just flicked over to Big Brother, saw Jim Davidson and immediately thought "Stewart Lee has let himself go".

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Mr. Squishy posted:

I think I'll really enjoy reading the synopsis of HoF on Wikipedia in twenty years time while remembering the 60 year long art project that their career managed to be, especially when compared to the feeling it's evoking right now, watching it. Bit dire, innit.

Every now and again I think "maybe they're as good as they always used to be, I just don't find random funny any more", but then I go and watch some of their Big Night Out stuff and it's shocking how far downhill they've gone.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The problem is that Jim strayed away from surreal comedy and more towards dadaist performance art, as demonstrated by the docentary they did a few years back where he buried a taxi in his garden. Which is a shame because series 2 of Smell will always be one of my favourite comedy memories.

I mean I openly acknowledge that it's not for everyone in the first place, but they were definitely slipping by the end of Bang Bang, and despite a small number of great moments in Catterick (mostly from Bob) they've just lost whatever they once had.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I liked both Uncle and House of Fools. I laughed more at the first few minutes of HOF than the entire episode of Uncle though (they are different kinds of comedy of course.) It has a certain charm given by the fact that everyone involved obviously knows it's complete poo poo and the script was probably written over a single weekend. They don't even bother to edit out all the corpsing. At the very least it's unique and will probably generate a cult following for that reason alone.

I'm not a fan of this sudden trend of sitcoms having songs though. Even in Toast of London I thought it was a bit poo poo.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah other than the Specials bit in Toast I found the songs out of place and unnecessary.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Paperhouse posted:

With David Blaine I think it's part of his schtick that he's dead eyed and monotone and mysterious, but I definitely agree with you on Dynamo. I've honestly never seen such an uncharismatic performer I don't think, he's tremendously dull. It's a shame because there are loads and loads of lesser known magicians who are really funny and engaging, I'd say he's the odd one out even. Which makes me wonder why he's this famous.

Piff The Magic Dragon needs his own show

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Bit of an advertising question here: you've all probably seen that ad for Njoy electronic cigs, with the song that now gets radio play for being on it and which does not feature anyone using the product. Is this a regulation thing, are they not allowed to depict a cigarette-like product being used for the sake of promoting it? Because the ad that reminds you that smoking will gently caress you up clearly shows a guy taking a drag.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised they're even allowed to show adverts for it. I imagine there are massive rules against showing people puffing on anything to avoid encouraging the poor, stupid children.

edit - Quick skim of the relevant law suggests they're allowed because they're not selling an actual tobacco product. They could theoretically advertise Rizla on TV as long as they didn't encourage smoking while doing it.

goatface fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 15, 2014

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
yeah, I imagine it's just some kind of loophole because the law was created before e-cigs were a thing. They'll probably outlaw adverts for them soon, although I've also heard talk of e-cigarettes being banned themselves

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Oh, I thought Ecigs were legit, do they not work in some way? I understand they have nicotine, so are they still dangerous?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

BizarroAzrael posted:

Oh, I thought Ecigs were legit, do they not work in some way? I understand they have nicotine, so are they still dangerous?
I know very little about it but there is a fair bit of talk with regards to banning them entirely. As far as I can tell it's partly to do with health concerns and partly to do with them "normalising" smoking for non-smokers

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're probably more worried about the loss of taxable.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

goatface posted:

They're probably more worried about the loss of taxable.

Bingo.

Any health concerns with E-cigs are far outweighed by the health concerns with tobacco. They couldn't ban E-cigs and still allow the sale of tobacco products... well they could but it would be absolute madness. In fact I'm surprised that the tobacco industry hasn't got a major stake in the E-cig racket yet.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I know this isn't technically the great british e-cig thread, but while we're on the topic due to that advert, I will say that I am a user and they have changed my life. Myself and almost my entire friend group are decades long smokers who could never quit through any conventional method, now almost all of us have stopped entirely due to ecigs. So gently caress the weird hysteria building up around them in Britain. Without being overly hyberbolic they are so close to a magic cure for smoking that it beggars belief.

Given their present media protrayal of them in this country though I can quite easily see our government loving up this opportunity to get huge numbers of people to stop smoking.

There is something a bit weird about advertising them on TV though, nobody should be trying to encourage non-smokers to use them at all. There is nothing glamorous or good about them beyond being a method to more effectively control an extant nicotine addiction.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Dot tried lighting one on Eastenders. That was a great episode.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Profanity posted:

Dot tried lighting one on Eastenders. That was a great episode.

Did she try to score some crack afterwards?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Just don't take one out when out for the night, as you will get cunts blowing smoke in your face and cackle 'ere you go mate' as if its Noel Cowardesque originality.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Is there an ecig thread anywhere? I would like to know more, but I can't find one in IYG and I feel like this derail's gone on too long anyway.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Is there an ecig thread anywhere? I would like to know more, but I can't find one in IYG and I feel like this derail's gone on too long anyway.

There's one in tcc, I can't link it for you on my phone.

E: wait yes I can http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555351&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jan 15, 2014

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I got a smaller one thinking that what with it being cigarette sized that that would be a better replacement, though after trying out some of the larger ones I'd recommend going down that route instead. Like having a silk cut versus a mayfair, OOF!

On Dolphins: Spy In The Pod, are their two spy animals at all times to film the other spy animal? About half of the footage is of the spy animal filming dolphins. Also CGI has made it so I'm not entirely sure if the dolphins are real or 3D graphics running on a quadcore processor.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b03ny6tx/?t=2m44s

justcola fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 15, 2014

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ecigs are goddam marvellous. When Tesco stopped selling the one I used I just quit smoking completely instead of going back to proper ones. The amount of money you save is ridiculous, I went from spending £35pw to spending £6pw. Which I'm guessing is the reason Tesco stopped selling my ecigs, and why they face such a backlash because they are a huge threat to the tobacco industry.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
You know whats better than ecigs? Not smoking at all. Cant see why you'd puff on a ecig but thats a discussion for another thread.

Benefits street was pretty boring last night, but I'm glad to report in the Taff household we're back to watching Eastenders. Danny Dyers brilliant

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Taff posted:

You know whats better than ecigs? Not smoking at all. Cant see why you'd puff on a ecig but thats a discussion for another thread.
I wont derail any further but I have to point out to you the nature of addiction. I know it might seem weird to you presumably being a non-smoker but its very hard to explain, its a mind and body compulsion and there is a bit of habbit and oral-fixation chucked in for good measure!

Let me put it this way. I have never had a weight problem, im the perfect weight for my height, I have a friend who is overweight, I tell her 'god whats so hard, just eat less!' and she tries but fails and ends up getting exploited by endless diets etc.

With her she is actually quite healthy (and completly gave up smoking without a moments effort really) people are different, but she is borderline obsese. I cant comprehend why she just doesnt eat less, she doesnt understand why I need to puff my cancer stick.

Back to telly, I tried the new Vic and Bob thing last night and I dunno about that. Maybe if I was 17 years old and stoned as gently caress it might be good, perhaps that is the target audience. Its strange because Shooting Stars still makes me lol hard.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

I won't derail any further, but here's a million words of a derail.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Cerv posted:

I won't derail any further, but here's a million words of a derail.
gently caress off ;-*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Seaside Loafer posted:

gently caress off ;-*

No he's got a point we should get back to complaining/masturbating about/over BBC3.