Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Martians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Moominmamma could be in her handbag for a very long time.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

That's actually her last canonical appearance. :v:

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

Slylock noticed the platinum ring on Rudy Rat's tail. The rat is the thief!

Slylock Fox

One of the criminals was probably a bird and just flew off. Or a chameleon and is actually in plain sight but camouflaged. I mean this is anthropomorphic animal land. :geno:.

Moose and Molly

Moose is capitalizing on an opportunity for trespassing, theft and child neglect.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

One of the criminals is Jesus, apparently.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Jonathan Mahood actually did design Skip's parents, complete with faces. Some time ago the strip got optioned for an animated series, and the studio requested that the parents actually appear, so Jonathan designed them, which he later posted on his blog.

Eventually, the studio decided to back out, and Jonathan's old blog, with the parents designs, disappeared.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pay attention folks: Josh is living the dream. He's quitting and telling his boss to shove it up her rear end.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Thorn (October 24-25, 1983)

Nina's Adventures (November 26, 1993)

Yeah,I think most artists can relate to Nina here.

Lucky Cow (March 4-6, 2004)

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Dingburgers seem like they'd be all about red mocho koolers.

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Bobbie Wickham posted:

I still don't get it. Why would sexually harassing women get him promoted?

What other explanation could there be for why there are so many managers whose only defining quality is a lack of respect for women? The final dig at politicians is making the same general point. That there's lot of people in these high profile positions who as far as anyone can tell never actually do anything except avoid paying taxes and get relatives out of doing mandatory military service.

Mister Beeg posted:

Jonathan Mahood actually did design Skip's parents, complete with faces. Some time ago the strip got optioned for an animated series, and the studio requested that the parents actually appear, so Jonathan designed them, which he later posted on his blog.

Eventually, the studio decided to back out, and Jonathan's old blog, with the parents designs, disappeared.

You have any idea what the address was? Maybe Internet Archive has them.

Mister Beeg posted:

Nina's Adventures (November 26, 1993)

Yeah,I think most artists can relate to Nina here.

Speaking as a professional critic she comes off as rude. But then if someone actually said "no" to me on a question like that I wouldn't push it. That's an offer I only make when I think they'll be receptive to it. The last guys I had that conversation with mentioned having gone over something like 200 reviews of their movie already. Where they found these reviews I have no idea- Rotten Tomatoes only has 9.

Comics (November 22nd 2006)

This was Thanksgiving, so no more comics for the week. That means today's the last Boondocks, and I have no more comics featuring B.D. getting mad at young chickenhawks.

Boondocks

Doonesbury

F-Minus

FoxTrot

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam

Creepy yet unsurprising.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Again, creepy, but unsurprising.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Some Guy TT posted:

You have any idea what the address was? Maybe Internet Archive has them.
I checked. It's robot.txt'd. Here's an old post about the failed animation project.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Volume posted:

Pay attention folks: Josh is living the dream. He's quitting and telling his boss to shove it up her rear end.
Josh is such an arrogant dick but honestly I hate Marla so much more and with everyone else in the store fawning over her I totally want to see Marla lose it and dig her own grave here.

e: Sweet new avatar!

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 15, 2014

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Spider-Man (Nov. 30 - Dec. 06, 2008)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Some Guy TT posted:

Non Sequitur

What happened with the table? It almost looks like someone took a screenshot of the comic while it was still open in an image editor.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

God almighty these Nancy comics are horrible. We need to start posting the classic Nancy strips as a counter to this garbage.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Spoilers - Grade school grades don't matter as long as you pass.

Retail

:lol: It was totally worth it.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Oh no poor Bleeker. If it's any consolation, I'd totally let you hang out at my place. Could always use more gadgets.

Dustin

What's with moms and Scrabble?

On the Fastrack

Whoo! Girls night out!

Safe Havens

You should have an inch-thick layer by the end of the week.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Midnight Moth posted:

Retail

Joke's on her. Now he can collect unemployment.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
It's worth it just to see Josh being scared shitless.

S'long, ya' douche!

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Midnight Moth posted:

Retail

If you were Josh in this situation, and your rear end in a top hat boss blew up like this while firing you, would you even try to keep yourself from smiling?

I sure as hell wouldn't. :smug:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
The only thing that would have made this better is if the last panel showed Marla throwing something at Josh in a cartoon fashion.

Or throwing Josh out of a window. Either one.

(Oh look at me, being a contrarian!)

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Command Ant posted:

If you were Josh in this situation, and your rear end in a top hat boss blew up like this while firing you, would you even try to keep yourself from smiling?

I'd be even more of a dick and goad her until she called security.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Mister Beeg posted:

The only thing that would have made this better is if the last panel showed Marla throwing something at Josh in a cartoon fashion.

Or throwing Josh out of a window. Either one.

(Oh look at me, being a contrarian!)

When the Proletariat topples the ruling class and the day of reckoning is at hand, you will suffer the same fate as your masters. :ussr:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Raskolnikov38 posted:

What happened with the table? It almost looks like someone took a screenshot of the comic while it was still open in an image editor.

That used to happen with several comics few years ago, when cartoonists started adding dot patterns with Photoshop. Apparently the syndicate would shrink the image files to a specific size, which gave that weird effect. Eventually they figured out how to work around it.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 15, 2014

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mark Trail

I wish the bear had eaten them all.

Apartment 3G

I hope the new fiancee murders Tommie and all her roommates.

Juliet Jones
Temporarily lost my access to JJ. Sorry.

Mmann
Dec 1, 2007

Kyoon Was Right
12/21/12

Command Ant posted:

She fired a guy her boss wanted to keep around, after interviewing someone for that position ahead of time, and right after the guy got a raise -- and her boss is supposed to believe he was quitting anyways?

I don't remember if he handed in anything in writing in the first strip, but she could be in for a world of poo poo (which of course she actually won't be because she's the protagonist and she'll be completely justified all the time, especially when it's her bending the rules for friends).

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Luann

Gunther finished. It's the other guy's turn.

Pros and Cons

Sally Forth

Personally, I think Francesco had Hil go too Ted here.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Volume posted:

Joke's on her. Now he can collect unemployment.

I remember this same comment being made when Jameson fired that guy in Spider-Man a few weeks ago. Think that over for a moment, Marla. You are now easily comparable to J. Jonah Jameson in terms of your management ability.

The best part is going to be when Stuart forces her to hire the backstabbing redhead right away because she interviewed so well. Also because Marla's the reason the store has an unplanned personnel problem.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

Design forum:
- First I visualize the finished product, then the production process
- How does my course of action sound?
- Is that like a Finnish Action Man?

Toimintatapani is "my course of action". -ni is the "my" part. Toiminta is "action", and tapa is "custom/habit/manner/way of doing". However, Tapani is a male given name, and while technically Action Tapani would be written as "Toiminta-Tapani", they're of course pronounced the exact same.

Action Man is a non-American version of G.I. Joe, it seems.

Fok_it

"Subject to authorization" is Fok_it being Fok_it, I guess :v:

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Some Guy TT posted:

I remember this same comment being made when Jameson fired that guy in Spider-Man a few weeks ago. Think that over for a moment, Marla. You are now easily comparable to J. Jonah Jameson in terms of your management ability.

The best part is going to be when Stuart forces her to hire the backstabbing redhead right away because she interviewed so well. Also because Marla's the reason the store has an unplanned personnel problem.
Mina's hair is black, but yeah, Marla's actually going to have to work those 100 hours now (on salary no less) or settle for Mina since it was stated in an earlier strip that there had to be a manager in the store at all times.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Apologies if this has already been posted, but these own.

http://www.oobject.com/category/15-papua-new-guinean-superhero-war-shields/

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

Mmann
Dec 1, 2007

Kyoon Was Right
12/21/12

Midnight Moth posted:

Mina's hair is black, but yeah, Marla's actually going to have to work those 100 hours now (on salary no less) or settle for Mina since it was stated in an earlier strip that there had to be a manager in the store at all times.

We all know Cooper is gonna get the job just because he told Josh "I'll have your job within the year" or however it was phrased, because Retail is hot garbage.
Though I have to say it's a much more fun strip to hate than Luann or the like, and that I actually look forward to the updates just to see how right or wrong I am about my dumb predictions.

I really do love to hate Retail.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mmann posted:

We all know Cooper is gonna get the job just because he told Josh "I'll have your job within the year" or however it was phrased, because Retail is hot garbage.

Oh dangit that is a possibility. Though it would make the whole business with Mina a complete waste of time with no payoff, so... It's still possible, really.

Though, the people hating Josh reminded me of something. There were people saying that Josh was an rear end in a top hat and deserved to be fired for hanging Marla out to dry that one time. (There were also people saying that his general dickishness made him worthy of hatred but everyone in this strip is an rear end in a top hat so trying to say that he's the bad guy for that reason is stupid.) However, from what I can remember Marla and co hated Josh even before he did that and were assholes to him even when they didn't have an excuse. I mean, obviously Cooper was, because Cooper's whole character is being an rear end in a top hat, but am I correct in thinking Marla was too? Because unless that is actually a recent development I don't see how not helping out the nepotistic rear end in a top hat boss who hates you is supposed to make him the bad guy in this feud.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

Speaking as a professional critic she comes off as rude.

Especially since that comic is Nina's soapbox for criticizing loving everything.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac

:allears:
The Creeps

Buckle down tight, fellas, looks like we're in for another storyline!

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

That's a cat? It looks like it has a pig's face. Or, wow, maybe Everett True? Yeah, kind of a cat-like Everett True! :v:

Jane's World

:psyduck: Why is Jill even there?

Non Sequitur

Oh, I dunno Wiley, not bad I guess.

Dana's caught up, so here're two Heavenly Nostrils

Me too. Don't gently caress around with it, please? :v:

:)

Kliban

I don't even know. I think Mr. Kliban might've been a tad baked when he penned this one.

9 Chickweed Lane 1/15/2003

Brooke, however, never inhaled.

Zits

Kevin & Kell

:ughh: That's just stupid, Holbrook.

Nemi

:)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Mike du Jour

Monty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

You see, Holbrook, if a comic strip is going to joke about intelligent creatures with feelings being eaten without remorse or question, this is how you do it. The person-eater is a monster. He's likeable, but still a monster. We're not supposed to accept his behavior as normal or identify with him. He's not a fantastic Gary Stu who also happens to eat people off-panel. It can be read without mental whiplash, and thus has potential to be funny.

• Locked thread