Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Chim posted:

Seriously, does nobody really believe that a vinyl release of the soundtracks for Royal Tenenbaums, Life Aquatic or Moonrise Kingdom (check out the prices for the 10") wouldn't be instant purchases by most?

Oh, it would be peak hipster -and I would buy ALL of them in a heartbeat.

But it shouldn't be a Mondo release. I don't hate their art deal nearly as much as a lot of people here but the special packaging for those movies that Eric Anderson did is pretty awesome and I'd hate to see it get whitewashed with the 'Mondo look.'

I figure the only thing stopping those soundtracks from getting pressed is maybe licensing for the wide variety of tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Is that beatles mono box set coming out ever? Getting into headphone listening makes me really, really want most of their records in mono.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Who knows with the Beatles? It's the kind of thing we won't hear about until it's close to ready. I mean, it would be a pretty big pressing job, and they had trouble with the stereo vinyl boxset. Then there's probably some quality control things that they need to consider. And then there's also finding the right time to release it.

I would love to have the Beatles' albums in mono. It's really the only way to listen to a lot of them, and there's things that work so much better in the mono versions. Like, I didn't realize until pretty recently that the transition from "Helter Skelter" to "Long, Long, Long" actually sounded a lot better on the mono version. There was something cool about that fade. Although, I do still miss "I've got blisters on my fingers!" And who wants to hear Lucy in the Sky without all the phasing?

But for now, you can satisfy yourself with their American albums boxset! A CD release of their American albums, in both mono and stereo, taken mostly from the 2009 remasters, except where there were unique mixes released in the US. It's fun too. You can find people complaining that that they didn't use the Capitol tapes for these albums, so they won't have fake stereo, extra reverb, and all the other stuff Capitol did to the sound.

But you do get the Beatles' Story, on CD for the first time.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

beergod posted:

Is that beatles mono box set coming out ever? Getting into headphone listening makes me really, really want most of their records in mono.

Just buy the mono CDs. The LPs are sourced from the same masters anyway.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I think I've mentioned this here a long time ago. I want The Crow soundtrack on vinyl.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

I think I've mentioned this here a long time ago. I want The Crow soundtrack on vinyl.

They should make it a double LP with the Judgment Night soundtrack and call it "this is what the 90s were like".

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

cosmicjim posted:

Yes, its likely nostalgia but that album is one hell of a window into a specific time. Add in the second film's soundtrack to get a journey from young and angry to tired and jaded. If you add the third soundtrack it becomes young/angry to tired/jaded to cashing in on young/angry.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I hope it's not nostalgia. I still listen to it in my car:(

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Why the hell is Simple Things by Zero 7 over $100 second hand on vinyl. This is stupid, I'm out.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ron Burgundy posted:

Why the hell is Simple Things by Zero 7 over $100 second hand on vinyl. This is stupid, I'm out.

It sometimes pops up on discogs for 40 bucks. Just set a notification warning.

In fact this goes for many of the rarer records. Set a notification warning for all the poo poo you want and in no time someone will be practically giving that stuff away. (By which I mean you get shafted on the inflated price marginally less.)

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Yeah, Discogs is good like that. I got Mike Oldfield's London 2012 Olympics thing for $45 on Discogs when they'd already been selling on eBay for over $300.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

david puddy posted:

Yeah, Discogs is good like that. I got Mike Oldfield's London 2012 Olympics thing for $45 on Discogs when they'd already been selling on eBay for over $300.

It's a great feature, but I wish discogs had better filtering for that stuff though. I've got 76 items on my wantlist, but I'd like to wait for US sellers for almost all of them - I wish I could filter by currency, location, or under a certain price threshold. I also don't like that some sellers re-list, or otherwise do some shenanigans, to trigger the item being listed as a new listing — ie, the same three 45s from the same seller show up five times per week for me.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

iluvpr0n posted:

It's a great feature, but I wish discogs had better filtering for that stuff though. I've got 76 items on my wantlist, but I'd like to wait for US sellers for almost all of them - I wish I could filter by currency, location, or under a certain price threshold. I also don't like that some sellers re-list, or otherwise do some shenanigans, to trigger the item being listed as a new listing — ie, the same three 45s from the same seller show up five times per week for me.

Yeah, I've removed some items from my wishlist because I wasn't planning on getting them any time soon as I kept getting emails for the exact same way overpriced items.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
A question for those with the Mondo Ghibli comp: Is there noise at the beginning of Track 1 on your copies?

It's not like a solid block of sound- nor is it totally irregular either. It kind of sounds like someone walking through dead leaves, but it doesn't have a perfect cadence either so I'm not sure if it's supposed to be part of the recording or not.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
My vinyl budget for a while (a good part of it was shipping since both came from the UK)

Psychic TV - Force the Hand of Chance (First edition 2xLP, but no poster) It was only $32 before shipping, which is about half of what it usually goes for. Discs are in great condition. Now to find Dreams Less Sweet, and I'll be more or less content with PTV for now.
Ceephax Acid Crew - World Dissolver EP. If you like electronic music (made on vintage synth) listen to this man. He is Squarepusher's younger brother.

And how can you not love this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xq3srxF_B8

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

A question for those with the Mondo Ghibli comp: Is there noise at the beginning of Track 1 on your copies?

It's not like a solid block of sound- nor is it totally irregular either. It kind of sounds like someone walking through dead leaves, but it doesn't have a perfect cadence either so I'm not sure if it's supposed to be part of the recording or not.

I have the same release as you and track 1 sounds fine. In fact, all of the first two sides sound great. The third side has a bit of noise though, but nothing too bad.

I had decided to stop buying vinyl for a while but did get a copy of 'Feels' by Animal Collective today, along with Elliott Smith's 'Figure 8' (the Geffen reissue, not the lovely Plain one) and 'One From The Heart' by Tom Waits and Crystal Gayle (which is a great album).

Edit: and on Discogs chat, yeah they really need to add the ability to filter your want list by "Ships From". I pretty much only get stuff that ships locally now but that means searching each page in turn and that sucks. I can't even filter by currency because everything is in dollars or euros, rather than yen. I did find a copy of 'Gravitational Pull Vs. The Desire For An Aquatic Life' for a decent price locally, but that was by searching each page manually for the word "Japan" and it's a pain in the arse which usually doesn't achieve anything.

shmee fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 14, 2014

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

They should make it a double LP with the Judgment Night soundtrack and call it "this is what the 90s were like".

Or double it with The Twilight Zone movie soundtrack and call it "This Bundle Is Killer"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Hell, I just want Machines Of Loving Grace's three albums on vinyl. And then Morphine's Good.

Geb
Mar 22, 2007

A Crystal Sword?! I'm all about swords! How did you know?!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Nope, sorry, I've also got the Princess Mononoke cover and it I can't hear anything like what you described.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
Had some time to kill and decided to look in a shop I know is expensive..

$22.41 & $14.56 discogs.

:australia:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out the worst thing about this.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

CPL593H posted:

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out the worst thing about this.

Picture Disc, Avenged Sevenfold, Or Call of Duty. Pick your poison.

The only thing that could make it worse is a giant Monster sticker on the front.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Personperson14 posted:

Picture Disc, Avenged Sevenfold, Or Call of Duty. Pick your poison.

The only thing that could make it worse is a giant Monster sticker on the front.

You forgot "LIMITED EDITION RECORD STORE DAY!".

Also, :thejoke:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Too bad it's not the Trent Reznor song from Black Ops 2 because that actually rules!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Darthemed posted:

Hell, I just want Machines Of Loving Grace's three albums on vinyl. And then Morphine's Good.

Good just got released in December. It sounds great.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Goddamnit, I should've known the answer to 'hey, why isn't my Sky Ferreira record here yet...' is 'because the bastard Customs has it'. £11 to pay on a single record, (only £3 tax of course, the rest is their outrageous admin fee). So along with the postage, which nearly put me off buying it in the first place, I've now had to shell out $60 for a record I like, but would never have paid that amount of money for. Will probably just end up flipping it now, which wasn't my intention at all.

I'm probably on some bloody watch list as this is the 2nd package in a month to get stopped and charged (out of 2 total). The other was a video game that was marked as a DVD with a value of $6, but I can accept that at least as I got it cheap from HK. So pissed off.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
It is a really good record though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

beergod posted:

It is a really good record though.

That's funny. You're funny.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

No. NO!

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Hah, don't worry. I haven't bought anything from there for a loooong time. Was just killing time that day :)

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
So, uh, what does one do about a misprinted record? I picked up "Beacon" by Two Door Cinema Club today. Imagine my surprise when I opened it up and found out the record was red!

Imagine my abject confusion when I turned it over to side 2 only to hear what I quickly discovered was "Twelve Reasons To Die" by Ghostface Killah.

I'll get the "well now you have half of a good record" joke out of the way now, but what should I be doing now? Take it back? Cut my losses? It looks like this may have hit an entire pressing.

This was in Boston, by the way.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Sell it on Ebay as "RARE MISPRINT" for more than you paid for it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Holy poo poo I just realized discogs.com will estimate the value of your collection! This changes everything.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So one side is Beacons and the other is 12 Reasons to Die?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Snowy posted:

Holy poo poo I just realized discogs.com will estimate the value of your collection! This changes everything.

It's based of their sales data, but some wonky poo poo goes on. Like some copy of 2112 sold for $200 so it boosts the average value of my copy.

I guess it gets you in the ballpark though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

eggsovereasy posted:

It's based of their sales data, but some wonky poo poo goes on. Like some copy of 2112 sold for $200 so it boosts the average value of my copy.

I guess it gets you in the ballpark though.

What kind of moron would pay 200 bucks for a copy of 2112? Those are common as rain.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

CRINDY posted:

So, uh, what does one do about a misprinted record? I picked up "Beacon" by Two Door Cinema Club today. Imagine my surprise when I opened it up and found out the record was red!

Imagine my abject confusion when I turned it over to side 2 only to hear what I quickly discovered was "Twelve Reasons To Die" by Ghostface Killah.

I'll get the "well now you have half of a good record" joke out of the way now, but what should I be doing now? Take it back? Cut my losses? It looks like this may have hit an entire pressing.

That sounds kinda rad yet irritating at the same time. I'd probably try to find out just how many people this has affected and maybe sit on it for a while to see what happens with the price.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

CPL593H posted:

What kind of moron would pay 200 bucks for a copy of 2112? Those are common as rain.

The description said it was sealed, but still the average price on discogs has been $8.40 :iiam:

If you click on sales history it will give you a list of ones that sold with the seller's description. Like some old, rarer records have a lower price than expected because several G and VG ones sold for cheap, it's nice to look and see what the better condition ones sold for.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

CRINDY posted:

I got a mispressing off eBay once, I emailed the label and they sent me a free good copy. So do that thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

CPL593H posted:

It's signed by Neil Peart and next to the dedication to Ayn Rand he wrote "Whoops, my bad!"