Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I just bought DraStic and am looking for RPGs. I asked in the RPG thread and the only response I got was Devil Survivor 1&2. What are some of you guys' favorites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
Dragon quest 9 and the pokemon games are musts.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
The Etrian Odyssey games
Dragon Quest IX and the remakes of 4-6
The Rune Factory games
Disgaea DS, although every other version of the game is better, so you'd may as well play the PSP version on PPSSPP.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ragequit posted:

Someone? There were meetings full of people that all agreed on this.
Full of Japanese people, mind. Japanese market is so huge and unique they rarely care about anything else. And it works for them, too, naught wrong with that. Still, we should be happy at least not to be bombarded with official Tiffa bikini live wallpapers and overpriced spin-off colouring games about cute Shiva and Ifrit.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ScarletBrother posted:

I just bought DraStic and am looking for RPGs. I asked in the RPG thread and the only response I got was Devil Survivor 1&2. What are some of you guys' favorites?

I like games you can play with the Stylus. Dragon Quest IX is good for this. Glory of Heracles is also completely playable with the stylus though your mileage may vary with that game; it's a real throwback to oldschool RPGs. I rather like it but it's not for everyone.

Devil Survivor 2 doesn't operate at all with the stylus as far as I can tell so I don't care much for it on my tablet. Might be fine on a phone though.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Nice job Square Enix :bravo:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Which one is that? I know I played it..

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Final Fantasy VI

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

coyo7e posted:

VI, the one that people were discussing at the bottom of the last page?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Skeezy posted:

Nice job Square Enix :bravo:

Good gravy, what a loving mess. $16.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yes, typos have never happened in the history of gaming ever before. :rolleyes:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

precision posted:

True.

(The weirdest thing about this phenomenon is that I've actually been playing roguelikes for 20 years, longer than most of the people who get really mad about what "is" and "isn't" a roguelike :ssh: )

I'm trying to find it again but can't remember the name, but basically there's a new Android version of NetHack that for some reason isn't actually called "NetHack X" or whatever, even though the description literally says "This is NetHack with an improved Android interface and different graphical style". It looked like a pretty good effort, too, but the Play store is letting me down.
There's also a pretty robust version of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup available on the crawl website if it's not in the store (I think it's still and alpha or something) http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/downloads

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kyrosiris posted:

We're talking about one of the first lines in the entire game on a word that is the cornerstone of the plot.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Kyrosiris posted:

What's the typo? Should "espier" be capitalized? I thought the problem was pillarboxing and non-use of immersion mode.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

What's the typo? Should "espier" be capitalized? I thought the problem was pillarboxing and non-use of immersion mode.
They were classically spelled "esper". If it was consistently misspelled I might be mildly annoyed but not for long, J games having odd translation changes between games in a series is pretty common in my experience.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I thought it was the missing Tritoch.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Potsticker posted:

I thought it was the missing Tritoch.

Thought that Tritoch was still in the caves at that point, and it doesn't go to that clifftop until later.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Oh, you're right. I had forgotten about that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually like those FF6 graphics, aside from the overworld sprites looking far too twee.

But $16? Square, you are so funny. I mean, I'd pay $16 for a total remake like FF3/4 DS maybe.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

So you've already bought FFIII and FFIV then, I take it?

I dunno, I can't muster up the hostility to $15 or so for games as long as FFV/VI (and as replayable, in FFV's case). :shrug:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

They probably just used the exact same assets from the iOS port and then compiled it for Android and called it a day.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kyrosiris posted:

So you've already bought FFIII and FFIV then, I take it?

Yes.

The DS versions.

Why would I buy the exact same game twice?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Just a warning to everyone: my friend bought Final Fantasy VI and it intentionally crashes if your phone is rooted.

Only Square could manage to talk me out of re-buying my favorite game ever.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

precision posted:

Yes.

The DS versions.

Why would I buy the exact same game twice?

Well, if you have your DS on you more often than your smartphone, then maybe they're not for you? v:shobon:v

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

1st AD posted:

They probably just used the exact same assets from the iOS port and then compiled it for Android and called it a day.
Seems likely. The ratio on the used space on that screenshot is 3:2, which isn't seen in Androids (or current iOS devices, for that matter).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nah I've just played the original FF3/4 and the DS remakes enough times to move on.

I just noticed All The Bravest is free. I never did try it, and I can't argue with the price.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

ScarletBrother posted:

Radiant Historia is pretty good and has a time travel gimmick that's kinda neat. And I'm pretty sure it's possible to use the stylus for everything so it should control pretty good on android.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

precision posted:

Nah I've just played the original FF3/4 and the DS remakes enough times to move on.

I just noticed All The Bravest is free. I never did try it, and I can't argue with the price.

It's honestly not worth the memory on your device

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Just a warning to everyone: my friend bought Final Fantasy VI and it intentionally crashes if your phone is rooted.

They've done this with every FF port to Android. Eventually, enough people will bitch, and they'll remove it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Kheldarn posted:

They've done this with every FF port to Android. Eventually, enough people will bitch, and they'll remove it.

From the quick Googlin' we did it seems like they never did remove it from FF4 or FF5 on Android.

Them removing the jailbreak check from Deus Ex on iOS is the only thing I could find.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

From the quick Googlin' we did it seems like they never did remove it from FF4 or FF5 on Android.

I have a rooted phone and FF5 works. Haven't tried 4.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Them removing the jailbreak check from Deus Ex on iOS is the only thing I could find.

Huh. I could have sworn they removed it for 4, 5, and the Omega Rings games. Maybe the Deus Ex is what I was thinking of...

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

You could try Xposed with the RootCloak module and if that doesn't work, Cydia Substrate with RootCloak Plus should take care of it. The Xposed version has worked with everything I've tried so far but the Cydia version goes deeper. I try not to use Substrate because the last time I had it installed my phone's boot time increased by about 2 minutes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ScarletBrother posted:

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey is better than Devil Survivor in my book. Also, The Dark Spire. Both are throwbacks to classic Wizardry/Might and Magic grid-based 3D dungeon crawls, and very very good ones.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

datajosh posted:

You could try Xposed with the RootCloak module and if that doesn't work, Cydia Substrate with RootCloak Plus should take care of it.

Actually, if the reviews are to be believed, it's actually Xposed itself that's causing the crashes, not rooted phones (and I'd believe that, since FFD and FFV both worked on my rooted Droid 4, no problems).

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I'd be surprised that the game's updated art looks so cheap and nasty but this is the same Square Enix that shipped Final Fantasy VIII's Steam release with the exact same MIDI music they patched out of VII because people complained so hard about it.

It's such a shame because I'd really like to play FFVI on my phone/tablet but can't bring myself to spend 10.99 on something that reeks of laziness.

Also:

quote:

Certain in-game conditions may cause the app to close unexpectedly on select devices. To minimize complications, please take the following precautions when playing:
- Save your game data regularly.
- Close the game via your device's application manager after exiting.
- Should the game not perform properly, power your device off and back on before relaunching.

Is it actually a thing to close via your app manager? I thought Android was good at looking after everything behind-the-scenes mostly by itself.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It is, Square is just really that bad at Android ports, apparently.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Enallyniv posted:

I'd be surprised that the game's updated art looks so cheap and nasty but this is the same Square Enix that shipped Final Fantasy VIII's Steam release with the exact same MIDI music they patched out of VII because people complained so hard about it.

It's such a shame because I'd really like to play FFVI on my phone/tablet but can't bring myself to spend 10.99 on something that reeks of laziness.

Also:

Is it actually a thing to close via your app manager? I thought Android was good at looking after everything behind-the-scenes mostly by itself.

Actually, Android is kinda poo poo at it. Or app developers are kinda poo poo at it; either way it doesn't really matter. It all looks the same to your typical user.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

FF5 works on rooted Android. At least it did on 4.3, I'm too lazy to flash 4.4 to test it because it seems like every new version breaks all the Square-Enix games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excalibur_Z
Oct 2, 2004

I've heard some developers do this in order to eliminate customer support variables. CS isn't usually allowed to ask if your device is rooted and it greatly helps with troubleshooting if they can reproduce the issue on an in-house device.

• Locked thread