Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts: And now, the daring escape! (January 18, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo (January 18, 1956)

Out Our Way (April 2-3, 1924)

The Uncle Tom shows, most of which were heavy on melodrama and minstrely (and loose with the source material), had a long and bizarre history, and that they're even called "Tom shows" should tell you how these touring companies became a huge entertainment genre unto themselves. The further we got away from the Civil War, the closer the whole thing was to straight-up vaudeville with a wrap-around story, with singing quartettes and specialty acts. I'm still having trouble getting my head around the "double Tom" shows (as J. Frank Davis described it, "two Toms, two Evas, two Topsies, and two Legrees", because why the hell not) except as a sign that it wasn't about social progress as much as it was about spectacle. Anyway, Harriet Beecher Stowe wasn't involved with any of them. Like a lot of deeply religious people in the 19th century, she didn't like the theater.

Which is a lot of words to say that if this cartoon looks more like a circus parade than a theater announcement, you're not that far off.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

However, from what I can remember Marla and co hated Josh even before he did that and were assholes to him even when they didn't have an excuse.

The characters hated Josh because he was a sychophantic kiss-rear end who drank the corporate kool-aid from the moment he appeared.

In an early appearance he tells Marla that corporate policy says she shouldn't be wearing a skirt above the knee. When she replies that the Delman's dress code hasn't been updated since the 50's, he sneers "Doesn't matter, rules are rules."

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

EasyEW posted:

The Uncle Tom shows, most of which were heavy on melodrama and minstrely (and loose with the source material), had a long and bizarre history, and that they're even called "Tom shows" should tell you how these touring companies became a huge entertainment genre unto themselves. The further we got away from the Civil War, the closer the whole thing was to straight-up vaudeville with a wrap-around story, with singing quartettes and specialty acts. I'm still having trouble getting my head around the "double Tom" shows (as J. Frank Davis described it, "two Toms, two Evas, two Topsies, and two Legrees", because why the hell not) except as a sign that it wasn't about social progress as much as it was about spectacle. Anyway, Harriet Beecher Stowe wasn't involved with any of them. Like a lot of deeply religious people in the 19th century, she didn't like the theater.

Which is a lot of words to say that if this cartoon looks more like a circus parade than a theater announcement, you're not that far off.

Kind of an ancestor of the Rocky Horror Picture Show, maybe?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Roland Jones posted:

Though, the people hating Josh reminded me of something. There were people saying that Josh was an rear end in a top hat and deserved to be fired for hanging Marla out to dry that one time. (There were also people saying that his general dickishness made him worthy of hatred but everyone in this strip is an rear end in a top hat so trying to say that he's the bad guy for that reason is stupid.) However, from what I can remember Marla and co hated Josh even before he did that and were assholes to him even when they didn't have an excuse. I mean, obviously Cooper was, because Cooper's whole character is being an rear end in a top hat, but am I correct in thinking Marla was too? Because unless that is actually a recent development I don't see how not helping out the nepotistic rear end in a top hat boss who hates you is supposed to make him the bad guy in this feud.

I think the dude who writes Retail just has no loving idea how to write likable characters.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

The horror!

Calvin And Hobbes

Biff & Riley is about "two canine brothers who are clearly at opposite ends of the personality spectrum." But today, we've got a squirrel sidekick.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kliban

I don't even know. I think Mr. Kliban might've been a tad baked when he penned this one.

Humor of Madagascar

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Redeye Flight posted:

Kind of an ancestor of the Rocky Horror Picture Show, maybe?

If we're going with a Rocky Horror analogy, it'd be the original Rocky Horror Show if the various road companies decided to go into business for themselves and rewrite the script just to one-up each other.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's a poem from 1814 by a well known poet named Ludwig Uhland that is pretty much panel 1.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Nipponophile posted:

The characters hated Josh because he was a sychophantic kiss-rear end who drank the corporate kool-aid from the moment he appeared.

In an early appearance he tells Marla that corporate policy says she shouldn't be wearing a skirt above the knee. When she replies that the Delman's dress code hasn't been updated since the 50's, he sneers "Doesn't matter, rules are rules."
This is the bit that you'd think would sort of puncture the HERO OF THE PEOPLE narrative brewing about this guy. He's Smithers minus the secret love and plus the hope of career advancement, and the only reason he's at loggerheads with his employer right now is because someone who knew him from working at the same level got promoted into the position, rather than an outsider he could rear end-kiss. Like, if anyone wants to dislike Marla or Cooper or Klambert or whatever the hell all those other cranky people are, sure, that's an honest decision to make, but you don't have to start reinventing a perfectly obvious toady as something other than what he is to do it

Darthemed posted:

Bloom County

The horror!
My grandmother's attempted to quit smoking something like seven times or more, and I'd like to imagine that on each occasion it was increasingly closer to this.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Martians

link to a giant version, in case anyone wants a higher quality comic to get Moominmamma avatars from. http://min.us/i/Y0hKdZGJEERt

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

"Smart" Uncle Alex just spent 30 minutes watching a dummy standing on its head.

Meanwhile Foxy Grandpa spent that time in a bush without his pants.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Indolent Bastard posted:

[b]Mike du Jour

Bigotry against astronauts is no laughing matter.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

[b]Mike du Jour

In case they didn't get yesterday's strip I'd better explain it!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Hey man, don't mess with Astronauts.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

:barf:

Wee Pals

Andertoons

mtomato
Oct 22, 2012

SubNat posted:

Moomin and the Martians

The inconsistency of Moominmamma's size is very noticeable in these strips, and it has always bothered me.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

The only thing worse than a glurgey :911: praise Jesus and bless our lost Boomer musical icon Nancy is a bland, nearly joke-free Nancy. Thanks, Gilchrist.

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

I don't know what I just read but it was magical. :swoon:

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Nipponophile posted:

I seem to remember that strip had Marla replying that if he looked at her skirt again she'd break the glasses on his face.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

For lack of a more cohesive response...

:drat:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Blondie

Elmo knows they're in a zombie strip.

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

The Amazing Spider-Man

:allears:

Classic Prince Valiant

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kliban

I don't even know. I think Mr. Kliban might've been a tad baked when he penned this one.

The English one is upsettingly accurate, at least for 50 years ago.

Andorra posted:

In case they didn't get yesterday's strip I'd better explain it!

He really needed to though. I hope from now on MDJ is a spiraling attempt to correct the strips of yesterday and before.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Good lord - they're gender fluid. :ohdear:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ha! Buttocks!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

*For the MRA who Reddits

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mr. Squishy posted:

The English one is upsettingly accurate, at least for 50 years ago.

Indeed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcB6gwInny0

Clockroach
Dec 12, 2010
I don't feel like we've seen enough golf comics lately.

Charles Addams

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Thorn (October 27-28, 1983)

Nina's Adventures (1999)

Lucky Cow (March 7, 2004)

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Classic Nancy (1949)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Green Intern posted:

Ha! Buttocks!

Brit spotted

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

tiistai posted:

Action Man is a non-American version of G.I. Joe, it seems.

For the true majesty of Action Man (I couldn't find the Australian ad with the tag "If Action Man can't do it, then its not worth doing":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZCnRtMXYTA

I had one from the early eighties with the eagle eyes - yes, it was as awesome as it sounds.

Incidentally, is there a source for Chief Dharma with a larger version of the office workers dancing up near the title?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy is a few parts light tonight. (September 6-8, 1926)

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

In one page Romero gives and takes with the great art. Lovely work on Modesty, but gah those two close up.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Volume posted:

I think the dude who writes Retail just has no loving idea how to write likable characters.

I don't know, Gil seems all righ-oh wait forgot who I was replying to.

Midnight Moth posted:

I seem to remember that strip had Marla replying that if he looked at her skirt again she'd break the glasses on his face.

Has Marla ever even wear a skirt outside this one incident to prove how terrible Josh is? I can't remember seeing anyone at the store without a standard uniform. Although since they're almost always drawn from the waist up it's hard to tell.

...Wait, does anyone in any retail store wear skirts? I'd think that's a wardrobe choice one would want to avoid making in a job that involves lots of bending over.

Comics (November 27th 2006)

Huh, apparently we do get to finish that plotline. How unusually considerate.

Boondocks

Doonesbury

F-Minus

FoxTrot

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam

Well this is awkward.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

So close.

edit: Unfortunately all I could find was this-

...Which as you can see is smaller than the one in the actual comics. The image doesn't come from an actual comic, since it's on the title card from the beginning. Maybe you can reverse Google image search it but I don't even know what that term means or how you're supposed to do it.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 16, 2014

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

I wouldn't underestimate those meddling kids, or their talking dog.

9 Chickweed Lane

He must be taking revenge for having to sit through those awful Edie Ernst P.O.W. concerts.

Pibgorn

Any guesses where the blood that was in Romeo's face has now rushed to?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

Referencing GRIT magazine, which started in 1882 as a newspaper, and used this selling arrangement (minus warthogs) for quite a while.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Borden posted:

Classic Nancy (1949)

Child labor. :allears:

Darthemed posted:

Referencing GRIT magazine, which started in 1882 as a newspaper, and used this selling arrangement (minus warthogs) for quite a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70s_Y7KwBlA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Yes, but it'll cost you some chores...

Retail

Marla is just such a team player she just volunteered a boatload of free unpaid labor hours to the benefit of well, The Powers That Be.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Aw, everyone didn't forget about Bleeker after all. And maybe they can be friends and Bleeker will lighten up a bit.

Dustin

Reverse psychology doesn't work on the oblivious.

On the Fastrack

You're living in a Holbrook-verse so you can bet it's current events related. You don't even need to ask.

Safe Havens

"After all, I do have a menagerie of other animal sidekicks to experiment on. Now where are those dodos..."

Some Guy TT posted:

Has Marla ever even wear a skirt outside this one incident to prove how terrible Josh is? I can't remember seeing anyone at the store without a standard uniform. Although since they're almost always drawn from the waist up it's hard to tell.
Yes, Marla has always worn a skirt although I think she's the only girl in the store who does.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 16, 2014

• Locked thread